What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
I see panic stations come the weekend. We will probably agree Maguire on the last day at 90m and Fernandes at some point next week.
Nothing more. If Lukaku goes it looks like swap for Dybala.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Could we go without upgrading on our CBs?

---------------- Ben Yedder ----------------
------- Pogba | Dybala | Bruno -------
---------------- Fred | SMS -----------------
Shaw | Lindelof | Smalling | AWB
--------------------- DDG ----------------------

Attack Attack Attack!

Last edited:

Devil may care

I'm usually a transfer junkie but this summer I've ignored the window, maybe in the hopes that like reverse psychology we'd pull off deals for the players we need smoothly, I check today to see Di Marzio claiming Maguire and Bruno are all but completed and a Dybala swap for Lukaku is on the way, two minutes later I read that apparently we've given up on Maguire, we were never interested in Bruno and now fecking Manduzcik is possibly on the table instead of Dybala........it's a never ending circle of bullshit.

And in all of this not a single proper CM has been mentioned, something we badly need as Matic is as much to blame for our defensive issues as our CB's, yet it's radio silent on the midfield front bar the odd Longstaff blip I see here and there, a player who hasn't even had 10 starts for a relegation fodder side.

Alemar

We need patience. End of story.
For how long? We are approaching start of the season!!! New players (if they come) need to learn OGS’ system and requirements, it takes time. They need to adapt to new teammates as well.

romufc

Everyone accept Ed Woodward know what we need.

What an incompetent bunch.

UpWithRivers

Looks like -
RB - WB done
CB- Maguire - almost?
DM - Longstaff? Dont see us getting a DM
CM- Probably not
RW- Nope. 0 chance. And Dybala is not a RW.

What we dont need-
Number 10- one of Fernandez and Dybala or both

Bestietom

We need HELP. Someone to get these deals over the line. We are no longer the club that every top player wants to join. We need a DOF that can sell the Football end of things to players and let Woodward deal with the commercial side of things.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Looks like -
RB - WB done
CB- Maguire - almost?
DM - Longstaff? Dont see us getting a DM
CM- Probably not
RW- Nope. 0 chance. And Dybala is not a RW.

What we dont need-
Number 10- one of Fernandez and Dybala or both
Dybala's best position in my opinion is on the right hand side of a front 3. He's not a proper winger, but he does drift inside in the same way Salah and Mane do.

Cathy Ferguson

I can guarantee you Leicester will not sell if it comes down to last 7 days. They will have to go and get a replacement.
Don't they have an agreement with Dunk and Brighton? And they are buying a CB from Bristol City?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We need patience. End of story.
Patience for what exactly?
Patience to build a title winning team?
Yes absolutely, that could take years.

Patience to begin a proper rebuild?
No, we've had 3 months to make some serious improvements to this team and have just not been anywhere near efficient.

RB - Job Done
CB - Not Done
MF - Fellaini Replacement - Not Done
MF - Herrera Replacement - Not Done
MF - Matic Upgrade - Not Done
RW - Not Done
Sell Lukaku - Not Done
Sell Rojo - Not Done
Sell Darmian - Not Done
Sell Sanchez - Not Done
Appoint a DoF - Not Done

You now have Solskjaer making comments that they are running out of time that the Window closes too soon....FFS, we have had 3 months..!!
We should have been fully prepared and acted swiftly and professionally.

Apparently Woodward didn't go on the tour so that he could concentrate on getting some of these transfers over the line.
How did that go?
In those couple of weeks we didn't sign anyone, and I'm not even sure we made any formal bids, so what was that all about?
WTF was he doing over those weeks?

6 days to go until the English transfer window closes, and we might yet, be able to get Maguire and maybe one other, and most European windows are open for a few weeks after that, so there is always the possibility of offloading a couple of unwanted players there.

But positive things need to happen, and happen quickly, there are no valid excuses, if we blindly wander into next season without a new CB, no new MF and basically the same squad that failed Mourinho & Van Gaal, then we are going to be in trouble, and fans are justified to ask "Rebuild? What fcuking rebuild?"

Last edited:

RedAlert27

Patience for what exactly?
Patience to build a title winning team?
Yes absolutely, that could take years.

Patience to begin a proper rebuild?
No, we've had 3 months to make some serious improvements to this team and have just not been anywhere near efficient.

RB - Job Done
CB - Not Done
MF - Fellaini Replacement - Not Done
MF - Herrera Replacement - Not Done
MF - Matic Upgrade - Not Done
RW - Not Done
Sell Lukaku - Not Done
Sell Rojo - Not Done
Sell Darmian - Not Done
Sell Sanchez - Not Done

You now have Solskjaer making comments that they are running out of time that the Window closes too soon....FFS, we have had 3 months..!!
We should have been fully prepared and acted swiftly and professionally.

Apparently Woodward didn't go on the tour so that he could concentrate on getting some of these transfers over the line.
How did that go?
In those couple of weeks we didn't sign anyone, and I'm not even sure we made any formal bids, so what was that all about?
WTF was he doing over those weeks?

6 days to go until the English transfer window closes, and we might yet, be able to get Maguire and maybe one other, and most European windows are open for a few weeks after that, so there is always the possibility of offloading a couple of unwanted players there.

But positive things need to happen, and happen quickly, there are no valid excuses, if we blindly wander into next season without a new CB, no new MF and basically the same squad that failed Mourinho & Van Gaal, then we are going to be in trouble.
Exactly. Our deals should've been done and dusted many weeks or even months ago, and should be with the team on their pre-season tour now, building chemistry and settling in with the current squad. It's been clear we've needed a new quality CB for how long? And we're still yet to get a deal done so close the window closing? Shambles.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Quite frankly. Even if we sign Maguire, Dybala (sell Lukaku) and Bruno Fernandes in the next few days I STILL think it's been a disastrous window.

It shouldn't be just who you buy it should be when you buy them.

I totally get that a team rebuild can not be done in one transfer window but we have only added 1 first team player to a squad that has lost 3 first team players in Herrera, Fellaini and Valencia and even before we lost those players we needed major surgery to the team.

We continually act in the transfer market as if we struggle to exercise any measure of control over proceedings.

OGS said last season that "there's a chance you've seen the last of some these players at Manchester United" after a disappointing draw against Huddersfield. The clear-out that OGS was suggesting just hasn't happened....not even close.

Just out of interest. Do you want to see the team and subs who played in that Huddersfield game ?

De Gea
Shaw
Jones
Lindelof
Young
Pogba
Matic
McTominay
Sanchez
Mata
Rashford

The used subs were

Dalot (Only came on in the 83rd minute)
Herrera
Chong

Who do you think OGS was referring to then ?

romufc

Quite frankly. Even if we sign Maguire, Dybala (sell Lukaku) and Bruno Fernandes in the next few days I STILL think it's been a disastrous window.

I totally get that a team rebuild can not be done in one transfer window but we have only added 1 first team player to a squad that has lost 3 first team players in Herrera, Fellaini and Valencia and even before we lost those players we needed major surgery to the team.

We continually act in the transfer market as if we struggle to exercise any measure of control over proceedings.

OGS said last season that "there's a chance you've seen the last of some these players at Manchester United" after a disappointing draw against Huddersfield. The clear-out that OGS was suggesting just hasn't happened....not even close.

Just out of interest. Do you want to see the team and subs who played in that Huddersfield game ?

De Gea
Shaw
Jones
Lindelof
Young
Pogba
Matic
McTominay
Sanchez
Mata
Rashford

The used subs were

Herrera
Chong

Herrera?

GM K

What I don't get is this? If we eventually buy Bruno, Maguire and get Dybala next week, why not at least two of them much earlier so that they could have blended well with the team ahead of the new season? Why wait till next week? I get it that it happens for one player here and there in many clubs due to haggling over prices, etc but three players? At the start of a defining season? Really strange.

GM K

De Gea
Shaw
Jones
Lindelof
Young
Pogba
Matic
McTominay
Sanchez
Mata
Rashford

The used subs were

Herrera
Chong

Bang on point!

Devil may care

I thought we'd play the 4-4-2 diamond so those that like to go post digging in arguments, there's some ripe ammo there. :D Many thought we'd play 4-3-3 but we are seemingly going for 4-2-3-1 and trying Pogba in a 2 man midfield again.

If we get the Maguire and Dybala additions I think they'll be good signings, I worry about the lack of pace in the CB partnership and the lack of attacking ability from the fullbacks, but overall defensively it's a decent back 4.

Up top if Dybala, Martial and Rashford can play to their best level with consistency they can offer a lot, I've put Lingard on the RW but who knows, I imagine we'll see a few used there as I didn't think we'd buy a RW this summer once it was clear we couldn't get Sancho, we've sacrificed that part of the front 4 to wait for him IMO.

The midfield options are the biggest worry (if we get Dybala and Maguire done), McTominay is a squad player and Pogba in a 2 without a Kante or Casemiro next to him is always going to have costly lapses, the depth isn't there either with Matic past it and Fred unconvincing overall.

Fer

I thought we'd play the 4-4-2 diamond so those that like to go post digging in arguments, there's some ripe ammo there. :D Many thought we'd play 4-3-3 but we are seemingly going for 4-2-3-1 and trying Pogba in a 2 man midfield again.

If we get the Maguire and Dybala additions I think they'll be good signings, I worry about the lack of pace in the CB partnership and the lack of attacking ability from the fullbacks, but overall defensively it's a decent back 4.

Up top if Dybala, Martial and Rashford can play to their best level with consistency they can offer a lot, I've put Lingard on the RW but who knows, I imagine we'll see a few used there as I didn't think we'd buy a RW this summer once it was clear we couldn't get Sancho, we've sacrificed that part of the front 4 to wait for him IMO.

The midfield options are the biggest worry (if we get Dybala and Maguire done), McTominay is a squad player and Pogba in a 2 without a Kante or Casemiro next to him is always going to have costly lapses, the depth isn't there either with Matic past it and Fred unconvincing overall.

Gueye for 30m could have been a nice addition. He is similar to Kante/Casemiro. The 442 (diamond formation looks the best set up considering our current players (including Maguire and Dybala/Fernandes if we sign them).

Sadly, we don't have top wingers. Even someone cheaper like Lozano or Ziyech would have been better than Lingard.

Your line-up looks good on paper, but a bit unbalanced. I would prefer to use Dybala as false 9 with Rashford and Martial as wide strikers (James, Greenwood and Lingard as cover).

Ole's system looks promising. I hope it gets the best of our players. If we sign Fernandes AND Dybala, how would you fit both in the 4231 formation?

Devil may care

Gueye for 30m could have been a nice addition. He is similar to Kante/Casemiro. The 442 (diamond formation looks the best set up considering our current players (including Maguire and Dybala/Fernandes if we sign them).

Sadly, we don't have top wingers. Even someone cheaper like Lozano or Ziyech would have been better than Lingard.

Your line-up looks good on paper, but a bit unbalanced. I would prefer to use Dybala as false 9 with Rashford and Martial as wide strikers (James, Greenwood and Lingard as cover).

Ole's system looks promising. I hope it gets the best of our players. If we sign Fernandes AND Dybala, how would you fit both in the 4231 formation?
Gueye isn't great but he's solid and for that fee he'd have been a suitable stop-gap for a season as opposed to the woeful Matic.

Ziyech would have been a cheap punt I agree, but like I say I think we had decided that it was Sancho or nodbody.

You're suggesting the diamond which I like but we don't have enough CM's to use it as even if we played Gomes at the tip we have no holdser and only Pogba, Fred and McTominay for the LCM and RCM roles, to use the system you need at least 5 CM's to cover yourself and we only have 3 realkistically as Matic is dead foiod and Pereira is not good enough and isn't a CM.

Personally I wouldn't buy both as Bruno is best as a #10 playing off a target striker, Dybala is best as a #10 or a false 9, they just aren't compatible and I imagine one of them would end up shoved out of position on the RW.

SCJY

We could make top 4 with that team, but not if we are loosing PP.
Sorry, don't mean to be "that guy", but it's "LOSE", not "LOOSE". I think it's pretty important on a football forum -- for a team in disarray and in danger of losing some of its best players -- to get that correct.

ManchesterYoda

Wouldn't surprise me if we start the season with something as horrible as this

Mandzukic
Rashford - Lingard - Dybala​

Castia

Midfield

We don’t have either the numbers or quality. Matic isn’t up to standard anymore and there are question marks over Fred and Andreas.

If Pogba gets injured we’re absolutely fecked.

Von Mistelroum

Tbf we still need quite a bit. Our midfield is not good at all. Mata and Matic are statuesque and Pogba is either not motivated or leaving. We also need wingers because the only actual one we have is a new signing from the championship. I don't expect Dybala to come , but even if he does, we need a lot of rebuilding still.

Castia

Doesn't look better at all, Rashford is crap on the right.
And Lingard playing #10 whilst Dybala plays right side is good?

I don’t think Mandzukic is a starter anyway, I feel Rashford or Martial plays upfront with Dybala behind.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Except buying players, we need now to sell at least one defender. Jones and Rojo would be perfect.

And yes....selling Lingard would be nice.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We need at least the Bruno signing. If we really do have that in line, our attack will at least complement our improved back 4.

Infestissumam

people will hate it, but I for one absolutely hope we hammer out a deal for Longstaff now. For balance, we need a young talented DM more than a luxury attacker anyway.

bucky

I'm still holding out hope that we go for Marc Roca, since we are kinda desperate. Matheus Henrique from Gremio is hopefully someone we keep an eye on, he could be Herrera's replacement and wouldn't necessarily cost that much.

hobbers

We need to replace Matic and get rid of Lukaku.

Those are currently the two most pressing concerns. Far more pressing than anything else really.

croadyman

All we can hope is a couple of transfer stories break in next couple of days and they pick up pace as we get nearer deadline day.