What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If there was a blank check-book I would go for:

CB: Konate
RB: Trippier
CDM: Rice/Ndidi
RW: Sancho

With Martial being sold, and try and keep hold of Pogba sign him up for 3-4 years if possible even at 300k p/w he's worth it, thats if he wants to stay.

Rojo, Jones, Romero, Lingard, Pereira and Dalot to make way too.

Extend Cavani for 1 more year then have a serious look at Haaland when his buyout clause comes into effect and throw the kitchen sink at him.

RedorDead21

With Martial being sold, and try and keep hold of Pogba sign him up for 3-4 years if possible even at 300k p/w he's worth it, thats if he wants to stay.

Extend Cavani for 1 more year then have a serious look at Haaland when his buyout clause comes into effect and throw the kitchen sink at him.
Pogba is only worth it if you choose a small window of his time here to judge him. Sell and replace with Grealish.

croadyman

I would throw in Zakaria as another CDM option if he can stay fit over the season and be cheaper than Ndidi/Rice, however the rest I totally agree with particularly the bit about extending Edi then going for Erling in summer 2022. My gut feeling is that we stick with the plan and still only sign three players this summer so which one of those three positions could you see being put back to the next one then.

Last edited:

Devil may care

GK
De gea
Henderson

CB
Maguire
Bailly
Axel
Lindelof

FB
Shaw
Telles
AWB
Williams

MF
Fred
McTominay
Van de Beek

Front 4
Bruno
Martial
Greenwood
Rashford
Cavani
Diallo
James

That is the squad I see going into next before signings. Lingard, Dalot and Pereira wont be back and I think Mata and Matic will go as well as obviously Pogba, we can just give Jones to medical science.

When the board and Ole look at that squad, especially if we finish the season strongly, I could see them thinking only 2 additions are needed with sights on Haaland for summer 2022.

davidmichael

We’re a alternative right back who’s good going forward, a pacey yet dependable injury wise centre back, a pure out and out defensive midfielder with a great engine and a genuine right sided attacker away from winning the league if Pogba stays and settles into playing like he is now on a consistent basis.

I’d like a new striker too but if we brought a right sided attacker in we could use Greenwood as a striker consistently which would mean Greenwood, Martial and Cavani all vying for one starting spot as we’ve got Diallo and Pellestri as alternative right sided options.

LuckyScout78

Updated mine recommendations 26.Januar.2021

+ CB : Edmond Tabsoba. Bayer Leverkusen. This January or next summer. 30-40 mill euro plus add on (amount matches he reaches for United and helping United winning the league

+ Versatile midfield player : Marcos Llorente. A Madrid. A machine. Beside super speed and acceleration. Skillful and top determination in everything he is doing with the ball. First prior target next summer. 50-60 mill euro plus add on

Line them up and United squad in a 4411 formation:

Bissaka/Williams - Bailly/Lindelof/Tuanzebe - Maguire/Tabsoba - Shaw/Telles

Llorente/Greenwood/Diallo - McTom/Llorente - Pogba/Fred/Matic - Martial/Rashford

Bruno/Beek/Llorente

Cavani/Rashford/Greenwood

Double covered in all positions.

Both of Tabsoba and Llorente are giving me really good confidence, that they are players that will help United to win premier league and keep United on the top.

Buying Llorente from A Madrid, clearly on top of the La liga. It’s a big signing and another step on the way to the top for United. Llorente is no mood player. You know what you will get from Llorente. Always 100% from this Llorente.
2 goals and one assist against Liverpool. Not many are doing it. The boy has the top level.

Stacks

DEAL

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was impressed again by McNeil tonight but looks like he plays on the LW too
He reminds me a bit of Ozil. Being left footed, I think he could be a good option to have on the right as a playmaker cutting in even though he plays on the left for Burnley.

passing-wind

We shouldn't need any key player to beat the bottom of the league team who before tonights meeting amassed 5 points halfway through the season.

What we need to do is shine a torch in Solskjaer's eye asking him why in two years we are still struggling to break down opposition defences if they have minimal intention of going the other way.

croadyman

He reminds me a bit of Ozil. Being left footed, I think he could be a good option to have on the right as a playmaker cutting in even though he plays on the left for Burnley.
Yeah certainly wouldn't take him over Grealish/Sancho but if we are playing costcutter central he is worth considering

Jacob

Tonight's game convinced me CB should be prioritized over DM, RW and ST.

Bojan11

It has convinced me that we need a striker and winger. The second goal was dreadful, but it started with our attacker losing the ball for the 400th time.

croadyman

Quite honestly after tonight I wish we could go out and buy a CB leader before the window shuts but not happening, so need to be realistic and accept the absolute maximum we will probably sign in the summer is two of CB, CDM & RW. Yes I know a ST is also important but I'm still convinced that we are prepared to wait for Haaland when Eddy leaves. I haven't forgot about the backup RB ( attacking) either but again this is going to be another monitoring FC after Trippier blew his hopes of a move

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Right back
Centre back
Defensive mid
Centre forward

Maybe another right winger as well, depending how Diallo settles in. He is still only 18.

croadyman

Right back
Centre back
Defensive mid
Centre forward

Maybe another right winger as well, depending how Diallo settles in. He is still only 18.
Personally I would swap RB for RW in the priority list, whatever the result had been tonight we still need CB, CDM, RW & ST in the summer and that's not being kneejerk due to losing this game either. Yes I know we have Eddy but in an ideal world he is a suitable backup no 9 to a proper centre forward and can come off the bench when needed.

Red_toad

We have no functioning midfield unless we play 2 ball winners in there. I don't see how we progress at all until we get 1 midfielder who can dictate play and has some defensive nous and a ball winner who can pass the ball.
Aouar and Zakaria would give us a solid foundation, then our defence become less of an issue, had Shaw played against Sheff Utd I'm pretty sure they'd not have scored, so small margins and critical decisions by the manager.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Personally I would swap RB for RW in the priority list, whatever the result had been tonight we still need CB, CDM, RW & ST in the summer and that's not being kneejerk due to losing this game either. Yes I know we have Eddy but in an ideal world he is a suitable backup no 9 to a proper centre forward and can come off the bench when needed.
Me too but signing Diallo at least means we have someone to play there. I’m losing my patience watching wan bissaka offer absolutely nothing week after week.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
ST
RW
CM
CB

This isn't going to happen. All these positions are first 11 related. No way the club is going to sanction big moves for those positions, especially not in this climate.

Jericholyte2

Mobility in the spine of the team is vital!

CBs - we look so much better with Bailly partnering Maguire, any team that looks at Lindelof/Maguire knows they can have a go with pace
CM - Whilst McT and Fred are mobile they aren't good enough to be the sole, reliable DM, whilst Matic just can't seem to run any more
ST - Cavani shows us what a genuine No.9 can offer us. We need Haaland (try to push out Raiola) to really put CBs under pressure

Plus Greenwood shows in games like yesterday why we also need a creative RW - he's great at finishing moves but he's not a 'creator of chances' as they would say,

Giggs' right foot

Just watched an old clip from a match versus Fiorentina in the 99/00 season. The commentator mentioned, that SAF before the game had admitted to trying to sign Batistuta twice the past three years - so from 1997-2000. In that period we had Yorke from 1998, Andy Cole, Sheringham and Solskjær - SAF still tried to get Batistuta.

Then in 2008 when we had Rooney and Tevez (two more world-class strikers than what we have now) he still signed Berbatov. SAF had some faults regarding key positions - namely the central midfield in his last three or four years, where it was pretty neglected. But he was ALWAYS on the hunt for the best strikers in the world and that approach secured the majority of our trophies. We have to do the same now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just watched an old clip from a match versus Fiorentina in the 99/00 season. The commentator mentioned, that SAF before the game had admitted to trying to sign Batistuta twice the past three years - so from 1997-2000. In that period we had Yorke from 1998, Andy Cole, Sheringham and Solskjær - SAF still tried to get Batistuta.

Then in 2008 when we had Rooney and Tevez (two more world-class strikers than what we have now) he still signed Berbatov. SAF had some faults regarding key positions - namely the central midfield in his last three or four years, where it was pretty neglected. But he was ALWAYS on the hunt for the best strikers in the world and that approach secured the majority of our trophies. We have to do the same now.
Fergie went on record and said that if a player becomes available who is a must buy then we sign him and think about the rest later.

peridigm

Any interesting unpopular opinions on who we should sign and let go ?
Not so sure the unpopular opinions are still unpopular after yesterday. :lol:

Outs: Martial, Pogba, Matic have to be moved on for me.
Ins: any two of Haaland, Grealish, or Sancho plus a DM and CB. No idea who would even be available. Upamecano?

This is all dreaming though. We'll be lucky to sign 2 players in the current market this summer. It could all hinge on whether Pogba is sold.

Rocknrolla69er

We're still relying on Bruno to consistently score, still a consistent striker away from a title challenge

With Haaland for me we win the league. Defensive frailties or not, with Bailly alongside Maguire there's enough to be defensively pretty solid.

Rocknrolla69er

Zakaria
Cash
Haaland

For me would be a strong summer window, hoping Diallo pushes on and challenges for that RW spot.

LuckyScout78

Updated mine recommendations 26.Januar.2021

+ CB : Edmond Tabsoba. Bayer Leverkusen. This January or next summer. 30-40 mill euro plus add on (amount matches he reaches for United and helping United winning the league

+ CM/RM/CAM. Versatile midfield player : Marcos Llorente. A Madrid. A machine. Beside super speed and acceleration. Skillful and top determination in everything he is doing with the ball. First prior target next summer. 50-60 mill euro plus add on

Line them up and United squad in a 4411 formation:

Bissaka/Williams - Bailly/Lindelof/Tuanzebe - Maguire/Tabsoba - Shaw/Telles

Llorente/Greenwood/Diallo - McTom/Llorente - Pogba/Fred/Matic - Martial/Rashford

Bruno/Beek/Llorente

Cavani/Rashford/Greenwood

Double covered in all positions.

Both of Tabsoba and Llorente are giving me really good confidence, that they are players that will help United to win premier league and keep United on the top.

Buying Llorente from A Madrid, clearly on top of the La liga. It’s a big signing and another step on the way to the top for United. Llorente is no mood player. You know what you will get from Llorente. Always 100% from this Llorente.
2 goals and one assist against Liverpool. Not many are doing it. The boy has the top level.
+ CF Erling Haaland - 100 mill euro

XI line up in a 4411 formation

De Gea - Tabsoba (new ) - Maguire - Shaw + Llorente (new) - McTom- Pogba- Rashford + Bruno + Haaland (new)

Updating by adding Haaland to it.

I pick Haaland over Sancho and go for the versatile Llorente for the RM spot. With Greenwood and Diallo as others RM/RW options too.

I think and Haaland is more needed than Sancho. Llorente is a really good and creative attacking player. Llorente is super fast and is a machine. Always determination with the ball on his feet.

croadyman

ST
RW
CM
CB

This isn't going to happen. All these positions are first 11 related. No way the club is going to sanction big moves for those positions, especially not in this climate.
Presume you mean more of a CDM when talking about CM but sadly you are right we have not a hope in hell of signing all four this summer, what our money men fail to realise is that you don't have to spend absolutely eye watering fees on all these positions to get quality

Devil may care

I really hope people aren't getting their hopes up for Haaland this summer, Dortmund won't sell him until 2022 when the buyout clause becomes active, they'll balance their books with the Sancho sale this summer.

The CB needs to have Bailly's attributes while not being made of Weetabix, I like Kounde from Sevilla but if Pogba does go back to Juve I'd get Demiral in the deal. Not overly bothered about a RB back-up, I'd give Axel some games there as he needs to get more PL gametime under his belt.

If we add to the forward line I think it will be Sancho, I know Grealish is the one everybody wants but Rashford starts almost every game and I don't think it's looking likely he'll be happy playing RW regularly.

Midfield is the biggest conundrum, Pogba will almost certainly go and I think Matic will as well, leaving us with 3 midfielders, none of whom are a proper holding player or have the passing range we need in the double pivot.

bsCallout

Unpopular opinion, I'd flog Martial and get Depay back for LW.

Then focus on CB & CDM.

Adcuth

Its quite obvious that Maguire will start for us for years to come given his price tag. What's also clear through is hes fecking shite at organising the defence. We need to find a partner for him that will take charge of that role. He also needs the pace to cover for Maguires lack of it and the positional sense to cover for AWB.

I don't have the answer to who this is unfortunately

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
DLP/ DM who can pass well.
RW
ST

DLP/DM to give much needed balance to the midfield. RW to allow attacks from both sides of the pitch regularly. ST to score goals and hopefully provide an aerial option too.

Manoucha09

If we're insistent on playing out from the back, then I think a deep lying playmaker is a priority, someone who can provide the transition between defence and attack. Fred and McTominay are great at pressing and keeping the opposition under pressure, not so good when passing it around under pressure (although Fred has shown a little improvement over the past few weeks).

Personally, I'd go with Rice. He's versatile and can definitely play the ball around.

Attack should be our second priority. Grealish is a no-brainer. He can play across the front line in behind the striker and can drop a little deeper to help with our attacking transition when bringing the ball forward. He's also great at ball retention.

Finally, an out-and-out striker to go with Cavani, Greenwood and Rashford (assuming Martial is moved on). The obvious options are Haaland or DCL. I would be tempted to try Calvert-Lewin. He's one of the best strikers in the premier league when it comes to winning 50-50 challenges and would come in handy when looking for an alternative route going forward.

So, overall:

CDM: Rice
AM: Grealish
ST: Calvert-Lewin

.......................DDG.......................

AWB...Lindelof...Maguire...Shaw

..............Rice............Fred..............

Grealish...........Bruno......Rashford

..................Cavani/DCL...................

With Greenwood, Diallo and one of Cavani/DCL ready to come on if needed. Defensively, we'd probably need a RB as cover for AWB, but I have a feeling Laird may well be that player.

I wish we'd just go for Grealish now. 70m plus Williams and Mata/Pellistri on loan might do the trick. He'd give us that same push that Bruno gave us last year.

Reactions: golden_blunder