What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

croadyman

IMO our midfield needs some serious investing. It’s criminal how it has been neglected for more than a decade.

Completely agree with Neville that we have two midfielders who are good on the ball but have no legs and two who have legs but aren’t good enough on the ball.

We desperately need both steel, legs, composure and creativity. Rice would have added most of that but he’s off to Arsenal. Caicedo is an option even if he lacks some creativity but I have no hope we will get him either.
Yeah really midfield wise we need Mount,Rabiot and then either Caicedo or more of a deep lying playmaker like Barella

jesperjaap

Full championship manager, dream window, Quatari time......smalle net spend than last season!

Costa £60m
Diouf £15m
Kotchap £20m
Jae £45m
Varela £15m
Caqueret £35m
Guler £15m
Oban £15m
Mbappe £150m

£370m

DeGea Free
Lindelof £20m
Bailly £5m
Maguire 25m
Telles £5m
Williams £5m
Fred £10m
Pellestri £10m
VDB £10m
McTominay £20m
MArtial £5m
Elanga £10m
SAncho £50m

£175m

"195m net sped

Costa - Diouf
Bissaka - DAlot
Jae - Varane
Martinez- Kotchap
Shaw - Malacia
Casemeiro - Varela
Caqueret - Eriksen
Fernandes - Guler
Rashford - Garnacho
Antony - Greenwood
Mbappe - Oban

Heaton - ALvaro Fernandez - Mainoo - Hannibal - Amad

Hackman2210

What is going on with our transfer business? Linked with everyone but who are the real targets? From what I can see only Kim looks like there is any truth in it. After that who knows. Mount instead of Erikson is an upgrade I'd say but then you have mount and Fernandes in the same midfield - its too gung ho. Round and round we go, where we stop nobody knows. For me the only target should be Caicedo - get him in. Midfield sorted for 10 years. Greenwood in - striker, RW sorted. Whats happening - why no news??

gajender

What is going on with our transfer business? Linked with everyone but who are the real targets? From what I can see only Kim looks like there is any truth in it. After that who knows. Mount instead of Erikson is an upgrade I'd say but then you have mount and Fernandes in the same midfield - its too gung ho. Round and round we go, where we stop nobody knows. For me the only target should be Caicedo - get him in. Midfield sorted for 10 years. Greenwood in - striker, RW sorted. Whats happening - why no news??
Kim rumour doesn't have any legs it's actually the one with the least truth in it , none of the credible sources have even touched it yet .

Mount is the Obvious one I can definitely see it happening , then one of Hojlund or Kolo Muani if Kane doesn't happen . Caicedo I don't believe is a priority don't see it happening .

Highfather_24

Ins :

Costa(60M)
Kim Min-Jae (40M)
Amrabat(20M)
Mason Mount (50M)
Højlund(50M)

Outs :

McTominay (35M)
Henderson (25M)
Maguire (25M)
Fred (10M)
Elanga (15M)
Telles (5M)
Bailly (5M)

Net spend : 100-120M.

------------------Costa
Dalot----KMJ----Martinez--Shaw
--------------Casemiro
---------Bruno------Mount------
Antony-----Hojlund---Rashford

Dunno if we will get Kane, if so we will have to stretch our budget(hopefully Qatar pulls through) or compromise on some other positions like GK(maybe get Verbuggen).

I know a lot here prefer Rabiot as the other midfield option, but I'll take Amrabat as a Casemiro competion. With some minor 2-3 replacements(DDG, AWB, Martial, VdB) in the next window, our squad could be top.

croadyman

Definitely. Surely Madrid got a problem now keeping all of them happy. All similar age, profile and will want regular minutes
Not that I could see us signing any despite Camavinga being listed as Jassim target which do you think fits us best

The-Mezzala

Not that I could see us signing any despite Camavinga being listed as Jassim target which do you think fits us best
The way ETH plays and profile he goes for Camavinga is best suited. But I just love Valverde box to box scores goals tackles all action like some of my favourite United players of the past Robson, Keaneo etc. I would be happy with any of them. We badly need an upgrade in the middle of the park. Casemiro needs help

Motorman

New GK
......Dalot.........Varane....Martinez.........Shaw..
...Casemiro...Caicedo..
....Antony...........Bruno..........Rashford
.....Kane.....
DeGea...AWB...Malacia...KM.Jae...Eriksen...Rabiot....Mount...Garnacho...Højlund

jesperjaap

Whatever happens take over wise there are still limitations on what we can spend, still think the outgoing are prevalent in this summer transfer business and even some of our deadwood produces near zero or even minus net spends for some good talent:

Elanga - Guler
Henderson - Diouf
Maguire - Kotchap

ALso areas several linked to leave liek midfield with Fred/VDB/McTominay....that pays for a Caqueret pretty much

My main concern is we only do 4 signings again this summer, no matter who, dont think numbers wise with our current first team and squad, it closes the gap enough to really compete for major honours when lots of sides are going to be really active this summer.

Stil holding hope we are ruthless this summer and there are 2/3 left field quality signings, but I havent seen any big links to many of these types of players just Rabiot for free (on huge wages so barely free by any means) and the ex City guy in Germany which really looks like press gossip to me

Woziak

The constant revolving door now looks something like this ;
Goal Keeper - A Onana (40m),
Centre Back/Right Back - J Timber (35m)
CM/DM - A Rabiot (Free)
AM/No 10 - M Mount (55m)
CF - G Ramos (65m)
Marquee - Neymar (loan 2 year £20m)
Total £215m

We’ll sell D Henderson, B William, A Telles, E Bailey, DVB, A Elanga (70m)

croadyman

The constant revolving door now looks something like this ;
Goal Keeper - A Onana (40m),
Centre Back/Right Back - J Timber (35m)
CM/DM - A Rabiot (Free)
AM/No 10 - M Mount (55m)
CF - G Ramos (65m)
Marquee - Neymar (loan 2 year £20m)
Total £215m

We’ll sell D Henderson, B William, A Telles, E Bailey, DVB, A Elanga (70m)
Do you honestly believe we could get Neymar

Highfather_24

GK : Onana/Costa
CB : Disasi/Timber
DM : Rabiot/Amrabat
CM : Mount/Maddison
CF : Hojlund/Kolo Muani
CF : Taremi/Watkins

These look like the rumored targets right now. The bolded ones would be my preferred targets. Seems like we are going for 2 forwards, now that Kane/Osimhen look unattainable.

Also interestingly, seems like we are completely focused on the spine of our team. Good decision.

Last edited:

Erik the Red

GK : Onana/Costa
CB : Disasi/Timber
DM : Rabiot/Amrabat
CM : Mount/Maddison
CF : Hojlund/Kolo Muani
CF : Taremi/Watkins

These look like the rumored targets right now. The bolded ones would be my preferred targets. Seems like we are going for 2 forwards, now that Kane/Osimhen look unattainable.

Also interestingly, seems like we are completely focused on the spine of our team. Good decision.
Ironically, I would go with most of the non-bolded ones: Onana, Timber, Rabiot, Mount, Hojlund and Watkins.

The left side is pretty much OK, with Shaw/Malacia and Rashford/Garnacho. Not sure how reliable the source, but on the right we have been linked with Frimpong and Diaby, which would be great. Rashford, Hojlund and Diaby would give us ridiculous pace in our attack.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Every window were linked with about 100 different players. We’re losing out on some targets to other clubs. But maybe the player we are actually after hasn’t been leaked… we may get surprised like when we signed Casemiro out of the blue.

daba

Every window were linked with about 100 different players. We’re losing out on some targets to other clubs. But maybe the player we are actually after hasn’t been leaked… we may get surprised like when we signed Casemiro out of the blue.
Yep I’d say a good 3/4 of our signings are out of the blue ones without tonnes of media build up.

Casemiro, Varane, Malacia, Weghorst, Sabitzer, Donny, Amad, etc from memory were all done pretty rapidly from the moment it was first reported by media.

Rare exceptions are the likes of Sancho of course which drag for 1-2 years

Bertie 2 Hats

A new spine to the team is needed as a major priority. Which begins with an elite CF followed by an elite ball carrying, press resistant CM, an elite modern goalkeeper and finally a young, tall, potentially elite CH.

croadyman

A new spine to the team is needed as a major priority. Which begins with an elite CF followed by an elite ball carrying, press resistant CM, an elite modern goalkeeper and finally a young, tall, potentially elite CH.
We won't get all that this summer

Hughie77

Imo there will be more outs than ins. GK if DDG goes. CB, CM, striker. If we can get a quality CM and Striker assuming Greenwood doesn't come back in.
All this is pie in the sky until the greedy Yanks feck off.. get ready for a summer of pain again in the transfer window. Getting top 4 winning a trophy has just put a few more 000 on the price for the greedy bastards. Let's hope we do not suffer in this window.

croadyman

Imo there will be more outs than ins. GK if DDG goes. CB, CM, striker. If we can get a quality CM and Striker assuming Greenwood doesn't come back in.
All this is pie in the sky until the greedy Yanks feck off.. get ready for a summer of pain again in the transfer window. Getting top 4 winning a trophy has just put a few more 000 on the price for the greedy bastards. Let's hope we do not suffer in this window.
Don't understand this logic that it has to be Mount or Rabiot when the latter would be a free

Hughie77

Don't understand this logic that it has to be Mount or Rabiot when the latter would be a free
Eth likes Mount by all accounts and tried to sign him when on loan in Holland. Likes his pressing and stats back it up apparently. Its like the money ball stuff I guess , Rabiot on a free could still happen, my guess is if that happens Mctom or Fred is gone . We need another quality guy in there If Casimero is out we can struggle Eriksen is 32 , Mount maybe the guy.

I want a fecking striker ASAP first the rest I'm willing to wait for.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
My guess
Outgoing:
  • Fred - 15m
  • Telles - 5m
  • Bailly - 5m
  • Maguire - 15m
  • Elanga - 10m
  • Henderson - 15m
  • De Gea - free
  • Amad loan out
  • Van de Beek - 15m
Total - £80m
Incoming:
  • Onana - £40m
  • Mount - £50m
  • Hojlund - £50m (after add ons)
  • CB - 40m
  • Backup GK - 10m
Total - 190m
Net - 110m

Rabiot depends on McTominay leaving which I don't think happens.

Onana
Dalot Varane Martinez Shaw
Casemiro
Bruno Mount
Antony Hojlund Rashford

Backup
Wan B. Lindelof Backup CB Malacia
Mctominay Eriksen
Sancho Bruno Garnacho
Martial​

Realistically, enough options to rotate Bruno and Shaw with lindelof/Malacia and Sancho/Eriksen, so it's not a huge deal that this would just be a 20 man squad. Pretty normal. Mainoo and Alvaro Fernandez can get some games to fill in deep depth.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

ST - Felix (10m loan), Hojlund (50m)
CM - Mount (55m), Rabiot (free)
GK - Costa (65m)
CB - Pavard (30m)

Felix
Rashford Bruno Antony
Mount Casemiro
Shaw Martinez Varane Awb
Costa​

SparkedIntoLife

I'm going on a rough budget of £250m (£100m starting budget plus £150m recouped in sales). My logic in this is to put positional needs into percentages by how needed they are and then assign the budget or profile of player accordingly. For instance, for the positions most desperately needed, I'd be inclined to spend big and get the players who are more of a sure thing. For backups, I'd go for a cheaper 'hidden gem' type of player.

I'd be ruthless if we can. I'd probably even get rid of the likes of Sancho, Pellistri and Mejbri while they still have some value.

Needs -
1) 1st choice ST (40% = 100m = Harry Kane)
2) 1st choice GK (20% = 50m plus *10m of the 40m saved from Rabiot = 60m = Diogo Costa)
3) 1st choice CM (16% = 40m = Adrien Rabiot who is free so the 40m can go elsewhere***)
4) 2nd choice ST (10% = 25m = Gift Orban)
5) 2nd choice DM (5% = 12.5m plus *17.5m of the 40m saved from Rabiot = 30m = Arthur Vermeeren)
6) 2nd choice left footed CD (4% = 10m = Valentin Gomez)
7) 2nd choice CM/AM (4% = 10m plus *12.5m saved from Rabiot = 22.5m = Martin Baturina)
8) 2nd/3rd choice GK (1% = 2.5m = Leopold Wahlstedt)

Kane alternatives: None, get him
Costa alternatives: Andre Onana, Gregor Kobel, David Raya, Mike Maignan
Rabiot alternatives: None, frees up funds
Orban alternatives: Mehdi Taremi, Marcos Leonardo, Brian Brobbey, Niclas Fullkrug, Victor Boniface, El Bilal Toure
Vermeeren alternatives: Andre, Alan Varela, Lesley Ugochukwu, Habib Diarra, Skelly Alvero
Gomez alternatives: Robert Renan, Maxime Esteve, Lucas Beraldo, Alan Matturro
Baturina alternatives: Alex Scott, Arda Guler, Yunus Musah, Maurits Kjaergaard, Thiago Almada, Luka Sukic, Enzo le Fee, Desire Doue, Oscar Gloukh, Matheus Franca
Wahlstedt alternatives: Etienne Green, Mads Hermansen, Keylor Navas, Timo Horn, Arnau Tenas

jesperjaap

Dont know about anybody else but the possibility of £130-140m bringing in Onana, Disasi and Mount leaves me totally underwhelmed personally

Devil You Know

If we can get Onana and Mount locked in, that only leaves question marks over CF, squad player at CB and potentially a squad player at CM.

That'll mean £100m spent, with another 2/3 players more to sign. All future purchases will be dependent of what we can earn in sales. It's not ideal but it does clear up the picture somewhat. Given how bad we are at selling, I wouldn't put too much expectation on us recouping a huge amount.

I think it all points to a cheap(ish) CF and CB being our only other transfers. Possibly means Rashford will be first choice CF.

croadyman

Dont know about anybody else but the possibility of £130-140m bringing in Onana, Disasi and Mount leaves me totally underwhelmed personally
Not keen on Disasi but excited to see what Onana could bring. I really want Mount to prove me wrong on this potential signing

Nogho

Mount and Onana. Keep Greenwood and let him get back to shape. I can’t see the club splash 100m when they could, potentially, have that in Greenwood. They are going to use the “his young and will get a second chance”-card. Play Rashford and Martial another season while he gets back in shape.
Then, if we could get rid of some deadweight go for a backup for Casimero.

Insane - but Greenwood is likely the most important part in this transfer window.

Unam333

Mount and Onana. Keep Greenwood and let him get back to shape. I can’t see the club splash 100m when they could, potentially, have that in Greenwood. They are going to use the “his young and will get a second chance”-card. Play Rashford and Martial another season while he gets back in shape.
Then, if we could get rid of some deadweight go for a backup for Casimero.

Insane - but Greenwood is likely the most important part in this transfer window.
I think you might be right. Mount 50 and Onana 50 and our transfer budget is gone. Either we sell Greenwood, Maguire, Henderson, McTominay etc. And generate some funds for a striker, but no sure thing we even get a striker like Kane.
I feel Ten Hag's management is very pragmatic: if the player is available, he will play him regardless what happened off the field i.e. Quincy Promes, Onana. Heck he still speaks highly about Overmars. So, I think Ten Hag will definitely consider Greenwood as a striker.

Red Rash

I'm going on a rough budget of £250m (£100m starting budget plus £150m recouped in sales). My logic in this is to put positional needs into percentages by how needed they are and then assign the budget or profile of player accordingly. For instance, for the positions most desperately needed, I'd be inclined to spend big and get the players who are more of a sure thing. For backups, I'd go for a cheaper 'hidden gem' type of player.

I'd be ruthless if we can. I'd probably even get rid of the likes of Sancho, Pellistri and Mejbri while they still have some value.

Needs -
1) 1st choice ST (40% = 100m = Harry Kane)
2) 1st choice GK (20% = 50m plus *10m of the 40m saved from Rabiot = 60m = Diogo Costa)
3) 1st choice CM (16% = 40m = Adrien Rabiot who is free so the 40m can go elsewhere***)
4) 2nd choice ST (10% = 25m = Gift Orban)
5) 2nd choice DM (5% = 12.5m plus *17.5m of the 40m saved from Rabiot = 30m = Arthur Vermeeren)
6) 2nd choice left footed CD (4% = 10m = Valentin Gomez)
7) 2nd choice CM/AM (4% = 10m plus *12.5m saved from Rabiot = 22.5m = Martin Baturina)
8) 2nd/3rd choice GK (1% = 2.5m = Leopold Wahlstedt)

Kane alternatives: None, get him
Costa alternatives: Andre Onana, Gregor Kobel, David Raya, Mike Maignan
Rabiot alternatives: None, frees up funds
Orban alternatives: Mehdi Taremi, Marcos Leonardo, Brian Brobbey, Niclas Fullkrug, Victor Boniface, El Bilal Toure
Vermeeren alternatives: Andre, Alan Varela, Lesley Ugochukwu, Habib Diarra, Skelly Alvero
Gomez alternatives: Robert Renan, Maxime Esteve, Lucas Beraldo, Alan Matturro
Baturina alternatives: Alex Scott, Arda Guler, Yunus Musah, Maurits Kjaergaard, Thiago Almada, Luka Sukic, Enzo le Fee, Desire Doue, Oscar Gloukh, Matheus Franca
Wahlstedt alternatives: Etienne Green, Mads Hermansen, Keylor Navas, Timo Horn, Arnau Tenas
I think you are seriously overrating our ability to get transfers done

:lol:

Nogho

I think you might be right. Mount 50 and Onana 50 and our transfer budget is gone. Either we sell Greenwood, Maguire, Henderson, McTominay etc. And generate some funds for a striker, but no sure thing we even get a striker like Kane.
I feel Ten Hag's management is very pragmatic: if the player is available, he will play him regardless what happened off the field i.e. Quincy Promes, Onana. Heck he still speaks highly about Overmars. So, I think Ten Hag will definitely consider Greenwood as a striker.
And if you believe reports; Anthony isn't the most humble boyfriend either and Ten Hag seem to have high thoughts of him. I guess he just want's the best team on the pitch regardless of what's going on off it and if you then can "save" 100m and get an even better team, I guess that's a no brainer for him.

Onana and Mount would get straight in to the first eleven, exactly like Martinez and Anthony. I guess he "left" developing young talent at Ajax and wants proven talent instead.

SparkedIntoLife

I think you are seriously overrating our ability to get transfers done

:lol:
Oh no doubt. It wasn’t what I think will happen. It was just a transfer strategy with some suggested players. A bit of fun ultimately but there’s some names on the list we’ll be hearing a lot more about very soon.

Bearded One

De Gea
Timber Verane Martinez Shaw
Barella Casemiro
Bruno
Antony Kane Rashford​

this is very doable in my opinion. Other options to Timber and Barella are Dumfries and Caicedo. We need to go all out for an established striker. I have a feeling that this would be a very good year for us.

The Irish Connection

Probably just me, but I think we need to be more ambitious than Mount and Rabiot to have a chance at the title.
Its frustrating that we’re in limbo with the ownership and can’t really do anything to speed it up.
Fingers crossed it gets resolved soon and we actually look like we’re trying to win the league next season by our transfer business.
Maybe a title push is premature but I’m sick of watching city and others dominating.

Lux Thunder

De Gea
Timber Verane Martinez Shaw
Barella Casemiro
Bruno
Antony Kane Rashford​

this is very doable in my opinion. Other options to Timber and Barella are Dumfries and Caicedo. We need to go all out for an established striker. I have a feeling that this would be a very good year for us.
I like that lineup, apart from the goalkeeper who I will gladly change for Onana or any keeper better in possession. Barella is a very good alternative if we look for someone like FDJ or Kovačić, a player who treats the ball well and can pick a pass deeper and progress the ball. On the other hand, the alternatives you wrote are very different in their styles compared to your first choices.

aeh1991

If we go for a very different type of player than Mount, what do you guys think of Teun Koopmeiners? Could try to get him in a double deal with Hojlund