What do we still need? Post Summer 2015 edition.

Devil may care

Part of me wants us to buy no one, but instead get a manager that will first not injure everyone, and second get our current squad playing to their full potential, it might be the only think that will finally shut the few LvG fanboys up.

Failing that Fellaini, Rooney, and Rojo can go, and Aubameyang, Sanches, Mane, and Varane can join.
You mean the ones blaming the squad instead of him? They aren't completely wrong, our current squad isn't good enough to win anything, but a competent manager would have had us comfortably in the top 4 with it.

itso 7

I would rather have proper CBs instead of Blind playing there. I don't have much trust in Rojo either at CB so far so I don't want to be one injury to Smalling (who in previous seasons has been injured quite a lot) from having to rely on Blind and Rojo again.

Smalling
Laporte
Koulibaly
and then Rojo or Blind if 2 of them are injured.
I hear you and normally I'd agree but we need too many players as it is before compoundinb it by signing an extra CB simply because Smalling used to be injury prone. Imo Rojo, Blind, TFM and Axel Tuanzebe are a good set of back ups for the few games we wouldn't have Smalling around. We get rid of Jones this summer and get to Rojo, if he hasn't proved his worth, the next when, hopefully, we would have seen more from the young guns.

Cheekiey

Yeh I've seen him play and he's a solid blood and guts defender but that's completely the opposite to what we need as Smalling already fills that roll. I can't think of a partnership as bad as Smalling and Williams on the ball and that's a staple at such a big team. Would a team like Barca or Bayern even go close to him, absolutely not! We need to be signing world class players or world class potential not someone like Williams who's frankly not even in his prime.

Stones is my number one choice and I'm not fussed if he costs us £50, he fits the bill we should get him no questions. Time to start really flexing this finacial muscle
You make a fair point about Williams but then you go on to say 'sign world class players or world class potential'

Based on Stones' form this season, he wouldn't be my first pick.

If he can't make the Everton Starting 11 what makes everyone think he will be a starter here?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You make a fair point about Williams but then you go on to say 'sign world class players or world class potential'

Based on Stones' form this season, he wouldn't be my first pick.

If he can't make the Everton Starting 11 what makes everyone think he will be a starter here?
I'm basing that on his age and the fact that he plays in a Martinez team. Martinez is well known to not be a great defensive coach so I just feel with the right training stones could be top class in the mold of Rio. I agree he hasn't always looked great but his abilty on the ball is very good even if it does lead to mistakes. Combine that with the fact he's English and I have to say I'm keen we take a gamble as he just screams 'vintage Utd signing' to me and that's a good sign.

There are certainly going to be other options abroad and that's where our scouts need to do some work to see if there is anyone of better value around but primarily I do think it's a ball player we need.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You mean the ones blaming the squad instead of him? They aren't completely wrong, our current squad isn't good enough to win anything, but a competent manager would have had us comfortably in the top 4 with it.
Fergie would have walked the league with this team. its way better than people say.

Devil may care

The most interesting aspect this summer will be to see how full on wee invest in strengthening our attack. If we get a new striker it feels like it will either be Ibra or Lukaku, the options are pretty narrow. If we get Ibra it leaves the door open for Martial or Rashford to become our long term #9, so I'd favour him.

The right side of the attack is probably the teams weakest area, Griezmann could play there in a proper 4-3-3 but if we stuck with 4-2-3-1 he'd be best behind the striker with a separate player coming in on the RW like Mahrez or Dembele. Of course if we are still shoehorning Rooney in then it becomes trickier.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
If it's LVG-

Stones - sell Jones
Laporte - sell rojo
Sane/Dembele - RW is empty
Sanches - CM is empty
Hughes/Prowse - Carrick replacement

If possible with CL possibly Pogba back but not overly important.

I think strikers wise - Martial,Rashford,Wilson, Rooney for one more season (utilised more as an AM instead of Mata)

Mike09

Well, not really. The one who had money and spent it to build this current squad is LVG. To me it's a poor man management skill from the start.

Devil may care

Well, not really. The one who had money and spent it to build this current squad is LVG. To me it's a poor man management skill from the start.
You mean as regards the players he sold without giving them much of a chance?

itso 7

The most interesting aspect this summer will be to see how full on wee invest in strengthening our attack. If we get a new striker it feels like it will either be Ibra or Lukaku, the options are pretty narrow. If we get Ibra it leaves the door open for Martial or Rashford to become our long term #9, so I'd favour him.

The right side of the attack is probably the teams weakest area, Griezmann could play there in a proper 4-3-3 but if we stuck with 4-2-3-1 he'd be best behind the striker with a separate player coming in on the RW like Mahrez or Dembele. Of course if we are still shoehorning Rooney in then it becomes trickier.
Signing Lukaku or Ibra whilst we still have Rooney in special privileges mode will only result in us fielding a top heavy team that doesn't create enough like we had last season with RVP, Falcao and Rooney. I think we should invest in a right winger and an attacking midfielder and leave Rooney, Martial and Rashford to share the lone striker role, besides Martial would still be our first choice LW. If Rooney soils the bed again, I hope to God, we would have a manager that has the balls to drop him and play the kid.

Fer

Signing Lukaku or Ibra whilst we still have Rooney in special privileges mode will only result in us fielding a top heavy team that doesn't create enough like we had last season with RVP, Falcao and Rooney. I think we should invest in a right winger and an attacking midfielder and leave Rooney, Martial and Rashford to share the lone striker role, besides Martial would still be our first choice LW. If Rooney soils the bed again, I hope to God, we would have a manager that has the balls to drop him and play the kid.
If Rooney continue being our captain and starting every game next season I also prefer to sign an attacking midfielder.
There are quality options like Griezmann, Isco, James, Gotze and Barkley that could be available. With a new #10 and a right winger (Dembele/Mahrez/Sane/Moura) we would create a lor of opportunities to Rooney/Martial/Rashford and also they would contribute scoring goals.
When Rooney retires, we should go for a top 5 striker.

NoPace

First XI players that look good starters for next year:
1. De Gea
2. Martial
3. Smalling
4. Shaw
5. Herrera

Other players I think are good for the squad:
6. Blind
7. Darmian
8. Schneiderlin
9. Mata
10. Memphis
11. Rashford
12. Varela
13. Fosu-Mensah
14. Schweinsteiger
15. Rojo
16. Lingard
17. Valencia/Young

So, looking at that, I'd say RW, CM, ST, CB and a 2nd, presumably quite young CM, are the 5 players we need to sign. Rooney, Fellaini, one of Valencia/Young and Jones can go. That's doable if we're smart.

Michael T

Here's a tongue-in-cheek thought after reading the latest transfer speculation...

Let's keep it simple and just go for one massive summer deal - a cash/swap deal seeing Ross Barkley, John Stones and Romelu Lukaku join from Everton, whilst Michael Carrick, Phil Jones and Wayne Rooney go the other way. Nobody has to move very far, everybody's happy! (Well, except for a lot of Everton fans, although if we give them plenty of money too...)

Okay, the idea of poaching a club like Everton's three most promising young players in one go is far-fetched to say the least, even given the click-bait tabloid speculation. But, given the current state of our squad, I like the idea of only bringing in young top talent, nobody over 25, preferably a few years younger, no exceptions.

Just imagine it - wouldn't that give us one of the most exciting and promising young squads ever assembled, certainly in the Premier League? Add a young, exceptional 'attacking right-winger' of your choice, or even Pogba too if you like. Nice thought!

But, who to managing them, José Mourinho or Louis van Gaal with Ryan Giggs a year later, or someone else, I don't know. I wonder how far a team like that could go, given they could potentially play together for the next ten years; or is it just too much youth because you can't possibly win anything with that many kids? I'm not sure I would care too much about winning silverware for the first couple of seasons because hopefully they would be so exciting to watch develop.

Should we gamble by building a squad of kids that could see us dominate for years with a settled team that grows together and allows the club the time to rebuild it's youth set-up? It could perhaps even allows Ryan Giggs to take the reins of a team that would look up to him, and allow him to avoid most of the managerial pitfalls that come with juggling prima-donna superstars and last-minute transfer tensions -at least until he's settled and his managerial kudos has grown (or not). Then there's José Mourinho - could he cope with an entirely youthful squad, and sweep all before him for years to come in a Ferge like reign - I'm not sure.

Our squad is overflowing with talented youth showing amazing promise. I'm tempted to see us go all the way - imagine adding only the best young-guns like Stones, Barkley and Lukaku to this list...

De Gea
Smalling
Borthwick-Jackson
Blind
Darmian
Rojo
Varela
Fosu-Mensah
Shaw
Schneiderlin
Herrera
Januzaj
Pereira
Lingard
Depay
Martial
Rashford

Last edited:

Devil may care

It's depressing to think of another season wasted with Rooney still clogging up the side, if we are stuck with him though I wouldn't bring Ibra in as that would mean Rooney as the AM/#10 and he's even worse there than as a #9.
We'd definitely need a creative #10/AM that could supply and add goals to supplement the fact that Rooney and Martial are unlikely to score enough right now.

itso 7

It's depressing to think of another season wasted with Rooney still clogging up the side, if we are stuck with him though I wouldn't bring Ibra in as that would mean Rooney as the AM/#10 and he's even worse there than as a #9.
We'd definitely need a creative #10/AM that could supply and add goals to supplement the fact that Rooney and Martial are unlikely to score enough right now.
Its frustrating but I would like to think that all he needs is a manager that can keep him on his toes and he would get his act together. He will never score goals or perform to the levels he was reaching four or five years back but, in January, he showed that he can contribute meaningfully if he is arsed. If the other three positions have players of a higher calibre, I'm talking Martial, Barkley and Dembele/Sane, then we would have goals and pace all around him which would allow him to play a false nine role. If he fails in four or five games, in that scenario, then the manager should be man enough to act on him before he drags the whole team down with him again.

Mike09

You mean as regards the players he sold without giving them much of a chance?
Nope that's not what I meant.

Who sold our players. Who bought our players. Who change the squad Who build the squad? Who has the money and time to build this team. It's the manager. If the players are poor then don't expect the team will do well. Don't blame the players if they are poor what can they do? Using magic and turn them into top class? The manager should buy the right players and get the best out of them.

Fer

1) CB to partner Smalling.
- We need someone with Blind's passing ability, but taller and stronger. Hummels, Koulibaly, Stones or Laporte.​
2) CM to play next to Schneiderlin/Blind.
- Gundogan or Kroos. But it seems that we are going to sign a younger midfielder like Sanches or Bazoer.​
3) RW because we don't have a top winger.
- There are good options like Dembele, Mahrez, Sane and Moura. If I consider age and talent, I would go for Dembele.​
4) CAM This position depends on Mata/Rooney being sold. There are quality players such as Griezmann, James, Isco, Gotze or Barkley.
5) ST We need a striker who can score 25+ per season
Kane and Lukaku are in a good age. However, Ibrahimovic is in a good form and we can sign him for free.
  • If we consider that Jones, Rojo, TFM and Blind can be a cover for the defense, I think 1 CB is enough.
  • We have Schneiderlin, Schweisnteiger, Blind, Herrera, Fosu-Mensah for 2 positions (assuming Carrick and Fellaini dont continue), so signing a young midfielder with potential sounds okay for me.
  • The right winger is our priority, Mahrez and Dembele have great stats so any of them would be a great addition.
  • If we don't play Champions League next season, it would be difficult to sign a top player. Also, I can see Rooney staying and playing behind our new striker. I can see one of Isco/James leaving Madrid, and Gotze changing club but I feel we are going to continue with Mata and Rooney.
  • IMO Zlatan now and Kane in 1 or 2 years would be our best option. I would sign a ST even if Rooney stays. I prefer Rooney behind a top striker rather than Mata/Lingard behind Rooney. Also, Kane would cost around 100m, so it's better Ibra for free and spend 100m for a striker as replacement of Rooney and Ibrahimovic.

Which 4 or 5 players would you sign?

Devil may care

CB - I'd love Bonucci, he's the perfect age and a superb defender as well as a leader. Hummels might still be a good option. If we go younger Marquinhos would be a good shout.

CM - Given we seem hellbent on buying Renato Sanches I think we need a second addition as well, a playmaker to replace Carrick.

RW - Dembele or Mahrez BUT definitely Griezmann if we play a proper 4-3-3

AM/#10 - If we play 4-3-3 an AM like Joao Mario might be a good shout, if we stick with 4-3-2 then James is probably the best option on the market this summer.

Spock

Let's not overthink this, mates. We need a striker whose capable of scoring 25 goals.

Do that and we can lift the prem trophy with the players we already have. Don't do that and we it really won't matter if we add a solid CB or RW.

Devil may care

Let's not overthink this, mates. We need a striker whose capable of scoring 25 goals.

Do that and we can lift the prem trophy with the players we already have. Don't do that and we it really won't matter if we add a solid CB or RW.
I doubt it, even with a top striker we lack a playmaker in the middle when Carrick is not on and we lack balance on the right, football is still a team game. Plus it's not a case of overthinking it, due to Rooney there is nothing simple about how we go about this summer IMO.

Mike09

It won't happened but I will go for

CM: Veratti
Winger: Mahrez
No 10: Barkley
ST: Griezmanm

GK: DDG/Goalkeeper (Romero?)
RB: TFM/Darmian (McNair)
LB: Shaw/CBJ (Darmian)
CB Smalling/Blind/Rojo/Williams/Tuanzebe
CM: Schneiderlin/Veratti/Schweinsteiger/Herrera/McNair
No 10: Barkley/Lingard
Winger: Mahrez/Martial/Young/Memphis
ST: Griezmann/Rooney/Rashford (Martial)

If DDG leaves, I will go Begovic.

Devil may care

If LvG is still manager I'd rather we didn't spend at all, no point in wasting money on that clueless old fool, might as well keep the powder dry.

Fer

CB - I'd love Bonucci, he's the perfect age and a superb defender as well as a leader. Hummels might still be a good option. If we go younger Marquinhos would be a good shout.

CM - Given we seem hellbent on buying Renato Sanches I think we need a second addition as well, a playmaker to replace Carrick.

RW - Dembele or Mahrez BUT definitely Griezmann if we play a proper 4-3-3

AM/#10 - If we play 4-3-3 an AM like Joao Mario might be a good shout, if we stick with 4-3-2 then James is probably the best option on the market this summer.
Interesting choices. I also like Bonucci but I slightly prefer Hummels (younger than Bonucci and a better passing ability). Both players are good leaders. What about Koulibaly that you normally mention?

I totally agree with you about the right wingers... I haven't seen Joao Mario, but maybe an attacking midfielder like Barkley, Isco, James, Dele Alli would be a good option. Also Griezmann does a lot of hardwork playing behind the striker.

If we continue playing 4231, what do you think of:
Ibrahimovic
Martial - Griezmann - Dembele

Devil may care

Interesting choices. I also like Bonucci but I slightly prefer Hummels (younger than Bonucci and a better passing ability). Both players are good leaders. What about Koulibaly that you normally mention?

I totally agree with you about the right wingers... I haven't seen Joao Mario, but maybe an attacking midfielder like Barkley, Isco, James, Dele Alli would be a good option. Also Griezmann does a lot of hardwork playing behind the striker.

If we continue playing 4231, what do you think of:
Ibrahimovic
Martial - Griezmann - Dembele
Koulibaly could work as well, I'm actually pretty relaxed about the CB situation, I don't think our defense has been an issue this season, and that is coming from someone that was dead against Blind as a CB.

I think that forward line looks exciting but @Invictus pointed out to be yesterday that it lacks a pure creator, a player who is more about making goals than scoring them.

itso 7

1) CB to partner Smalling.
- We need someone with Blind's passing ability, but taller and stronger. Hummels, Koulibaly, Stones or Laporte.​
2) CM to play next to Schneiderlin/Blind.
- Gundogan or Kroos. But it seems that we are going to sign a younger midfielder like Sanches or Bazoer.​
3) RW because we don't have a top winger.
- There are good options like Dembele, Mahrez, Sane and Moura. If I consider age and talent, I would go for Dembele.​
4) CAM This position depends on Mata/Rooney being sold. There are quality players such as Griezmann, James, Isco, Gotze or Barkley.
5) ST We need a striker who can score 25+ per season
Kane and Lukaku are in a good age. However, Ibrahimovic is in a good form and we can sign him for free.
  • If we consider that Jones, Rojo, TFM and Blind can be a cover for the defense, I think 1 CB is enough.
  • We have Schneiderlin, Schweisnteiger, Blind, Herrera, Fosu-Mensah for 2 positions (assuming Carrick and Fellaini dont continue), so signing a young midfielder with potential sounds okay for me.
  • The right winger is our priority, Mahrez and Dembele have great stats so any of them would be a great addition.
  • If we don't play Champions League next season, it would be difficult to sign a top player. Also, I can see Rooney staying and playing behind our new striker. I can see one of Isco/James leaving Madrid, and Gotze changing club but I feel we are going to continue with Mata and Rooney.
  • IMO Zlatan now and Kane in 1 or 2 years would be our best option. I would sign a ST even if Rooney stays. I prefer Rooney behind a top striker rather than Mata/Lingard behind Rooney. Also, Kane would cost around 100m, so it's better Ibra for free and spend 100m for a striker as replacement of Rooney and Ibrahimovic.

Which 4 or 5 players would you sign?
I like how you've put it and we certainly do not need to panic when deciding how to proceed. Most of our kids have acquitted themselves well when called upon so they should be given the chance to grow as squad players then reassess at the end of the season, players like CBJ, Varela, Rashford and TFM habe shown enough to be considered second choice in their respective roles. I concur that RW is our buggest concern and a case could be made for the #10 because I also feel that a bit of housekeeping is needed with players that have largely disappointed making way for fresh talent, I certainly could dump Mata for Barkley. As for the #9 I think Martial, Rashford and Wilson have enough about them to end Rooney's United career should he wet the bed again so I would start the season with Martial on the left and Rooney as striker but without the license to stink.
In midfield we are in need of a Carrick successsor but we look like we are trying to sign an all action powerhouse, that's fine with me too because there are more ways to skin a cat. However with Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin having shown initial promise, Herrera and Schneiderlin having done the same I would be comfortable with us making no signing there and blooding in TFM next term. Perreira could be used as second choice RW/AM and Januzaj as competition on the left and AM too.
So I would like us to make three key signings at CB, RW and AM, CM would be bonus if the right player comes along like Gundogun. I think you know how I feel with us signing a striker with this status quo.

Devil may care

I like how you've put it and we certainly do not need to panic when deciding how to proceed. Most of our kids have acquitted themselves well when called upon so they should be given the chance to grow as squad players then reassess at the end of the season, players like CBJ, Varela, Rashford and TFM habe shown enough to be considered second choice in their respective roles. I concur that RW is our buggest concern and a case could be made for the #10 because I also feel that a bit of housekeeping is needed with players that have largely disappointed making way for fresh talent, I certainly could dump Mata for Barkley. As for the #9 I think Martial, Rashford and Wilson have enough about them to end Rooney's United career should he wet the bed again so I would start the season with Martial on the left and Rooney as striker but without the license to stink.
In midfield we are in need of a Carrick successsor but we look like we are trying to sign an all action powerhouse, that's fine with me too because there are more ways to skin a cat. However with Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin having shown initial promise, Herrera and Schneiderlin having done the same I would be comfortable with us making no signing there and blooding in TFM next term. Perreira could be used as second choice RW/AM and Januzaj as competition on the left and AM too.
So I would like us to make three key signings at CB, RW and AM, CM would be bonus if the right player comes along like Gundogun. I think you know how I feel with us signing a striker with this status quo.
The thought of starting another season with Rooney not only still at United, but starting is demoralizing, but given we may need to finish outside the top 4 to be rid of LvG I guess it's a likely scenario. Personally if that is the case I'd like to see us start as we mean to go on, with Rooney behind Martial in the pecking order.

Bwuk

Putting it out there that is Jose comes in I wouldn't be surprised to see Smalling relegated down the pecking order.

He went off his head about Matic taking too many touches to control a ball, I wonder what he'd think of Smalling.

ricky-romeo

thinking about our lack of quality at fullback bar shaw. but CBJ is a talent and i prefer him over rojo as shaw's deputy. darmian is struggling but i would give him a 2nd year, plus we got varela who is more than good enough to be the reserve RB. fosu-mensah will and should get games here as well. he is still developing and i am happy to see him playing anywhere, although in the future i see him as a strong and quick defensive midfielder/centre back. so just another new top CB to partner smalling. Smalling, new CB, blind and fosu mensah as our CB option sounds good. sell rojo and maybe even jones. i guess having many players is okay due to our tendency with injuries.

carrick is past it unfortunately, and so does bastian it seems. morgan and herrera looks good together but another CM would not hurt.

we need pace and goal upfront. in a dream world i am all out for harry kane. this guy is the ultimate premier league centre forward. and another pacey and skillful right winger.

bucky

The thought of starting another season with Rooney not only still at United, but starting is demoralizing, but given we may need to finish outside the top 4 to be rid of LvG I guess it's a likely scenario. Personally if that is the case I'd like to see us start as we mean to go on, with Rooney behind Martial in the pecking order.

I remember having a discussion with you, where we talked about more established players and why we need them. Don't you think that team would be a bit inexperienced albeit very talented?

Devil may care

I remember having a discussion with you, where we talked about more established players and why we need them. Don't you think that team would be a bit inexperienced albeit very talented?
To win the league yes, but if we miss out on the CL places it will remove the chances of getting a Griezmann or Gundogan in the summer, so my team was looking at the idea of growing them for the long term and I think it could still get top 4, I mean look at Spurs, their core 3 players are all under 23.

bucky

To win the league yes, but if we miss out on the CL places it will remove the chances of getting a Griezmann or Gundogan in the summer, so my team was looking at the idea of growing them for the long term and I think it could still get top 4, I mean look at Spurs, their core 3 players are all under 23.
I'd argue their core is Alderweireld, Dembele and Kane. Don't get me wrong, there a lot of players I like in that team.

Devil may care

I'd argue their core is Alderweireld, Dembele and Kane. Don't get me wrong, there a lot of players I like in that team.
I think Dier has been crucial in their defensive record but even if you add those other 2 are Dembele and Alderweireld more experienced than Blind and Smalling?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Lingard and not Depay/decent winger that is remotely talented on the flank?

Devil may care

Lingard and not Depay/decent winger that is remotely talented on the flank?
Lingard is a good player and I think we'd need one of the wide players to have the ability to tuck in and work hard in that line-up, as James isn't the best at tracking back.

bucky

I think Dier has been crucial in their defensive record but even if you add those other 2 are Dembele and Alderweireld more experienced than Blind and Smalling?
That's not what I was saying. I am someone who prefers signing young players like Martial to Falcao, nonetheless I think a team of Martial, Lingard, Dembele, Renato Sanches, Shaw and Marquinhos would be a bit over the top in that regard. But I'll admit that my team isn't that much older.

Devil may care

That's not what I was saying. I am someone who prefers signing young players like Martial to Falcao, nonetheless I think a team of Martial, Lingard, Dembele, Renato Sanches, Shaw and Marquinhos would be a bit over the top in that regard. But I'll admit that my team isn't that much older.
It wouldn't be my first choice either but if we don't make top 4 it will take more of the proven quality players off the board, and I'd rather go younger than brig i someone like Howedes at CB and Kroos in midfield. To be honest I included Sanches more from the perspective of the fact I think that one will happen regardless of my opinion, but even if I opted for my choice, outside of Gudogan I'd still be looking at a young player like Goretzka or Bazoer.

Fer

• If Marquinhos doesn't continue at PSG, my guess is that he will go to Barcelona, or even Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or City. Unfortunately, I think we are going to overpay for Stones. Mourinho wanted him, so he could be one of our strongest options as CB.
  • I thought that you prefer Blind as defender than midfielder. IMO, he is a decent cover in both positions. I have my doubts on him in a double pivot, he would be better in front of the defense in a midfield of 3.
  • Sanches is an interesting player, he could rotate with our midfielders. But, do you prefer him over Kante/Kroos?
  • I agree with you on Dembele, he has a bright future. I hope we can sign him... the right wing position should be a priority this summer.
  • Lingard is a good cover, but I would prefer another player as starter. The top teams have players like Neymar, Ronaldo, Costa in that position. So we should aim higher than Lingard.
  • James is a really good player, my only concern its that he is a bit slow even if he has a great technique. But we have Mata for that. I wouldn't say no to James but I slightly prefer a faster CAM that is versatile enough to play in other positions (e.g Griezmann can play as winger or striker)
  • You are right about Rooney, however if he stays I can see him starting most of the games and Martial as left winger. If you are going to put Rooney behind Martial in the pecking order, I prefer to move Martial to the left and sign a striker that will score 25+ goals with Rooney as a cover.

Last edited:

Utd7

CB: Stones
MF: Sanches and Chong
RW: James Rodriguez or Mahrez
Striker: Ibrahimovic or Aubameyang

Devil may care

• If Marquinhos doesn't continue at PSG, my guess is that he will go to Barcelona, or even Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or City. Unfortunately, I think we are going to overpay for Stones. Mourinho wanted him, so he could be one of our strongest options as CB.
  • I thought that you prefer Blind as defender than midfielder. IMO, he is a decent cover in both positions. I have my doubts on him in a double pivot, he would be better in front of the defense in a midfield of 3.
  • Sanches is an interesting player, he could rotate with our midfielders. But, do you prefer him over Kante/Kroos?
  • I agree with you on Dembele, he has a bright future. I hope we can sign him... the right wing position should be a priority this summer.
  • Lingard is a good cover, but I would prefer another player as starter. The top teams have players like Neymar, Ronaldo, Costa in that position. So we should aim higher than Lingard.
  • James is a really good player, my only concern its that he is a bit slow even if he has a great technique. But we have Mata for that. I wouldn't say no to James but I slightly prefer a faster CAM that is versatile enough to play in other positions (e.g Griezmann can play as winger or striker)
  • You are right about Rooney, however if he stays I can see him starting most of the games and Martial as left winger. If you are going to put Rooney behind Martial in the pecking order, I prefer to move Martial to the left and sign a striker that will score 25+ goals with Rooney as a cover.
I'm not sure that we'll go for Stones this summer as he has had a difficult season and with Everton likely to sell Lukaku I don't see them selling another of the main assets.

I do prefer Blind as a CB to a CM but the team I laid out was one bought under the circumstances of us missing the top 4, which is why I put him with Sanches as I think he needs a #6 with him rather than another box to box like Schneiderlin or Herrera.

I'd take Kante over Sanches but I feel Kroos is too much of a passenger defensively and lacks agility for the PL. I put Sanches in as he's the one player we have been linked with non stop for months and I think it'll happen regardless of my opinion.

I think Lingard is a bit underrated here but long term he'd not be a starter, but I also don't see us buying 3 new forwards in the summer and I prefer him on the left to Memphis right now.

I'd love us to get Griezmann but I don't see him leaving Atleti if we don't get top 4.

The problem IMO is if we buy the 25 goal striker we will likely be resigning Martial to the left for the foreseeable future. Ibra presents the perfect option to transition to Martial as our #9 in a couple of seasons time, but we'd need to get Jose in to get him I think.