What do you want from our team?

simplyared

Forget all the negativity we’re reading and hearing in the media. Leave out the speculation and look at the football instead.

It amazes me to hear so many posters on the Caf prepared to accept the type of football we are being presented with.

The impression I get is the majority of posters who complain about the entertainment value, are old school. Of which I am proudly one of.

After seeing the Leicester game the signs were there. Same old story: lack of attacking football, we scrape through, hangin on, could have well been a draw (thinking of Vardy’s missed volley) and we’re playing a mid table team at OT.

Football for me is about entertainment first and foremost. Not even our manager can go to the trouble of changing the miserable expression on his face. Aren’t we losing the point of what football is all about?

Our great club has thrived on entertaining people all over the world. Also Munich has contributed to building a fan base second to none.

Some Caf member started a thread recently about the risk of us losing a big portion of our fan base due to the crap football we’re dishing up. So relevant!

Just for the record I was born with utd blood in my veins, am a Mancunian and started going to matches in the early 60’s. and I’m not going to feck off and support anyone else.

So are you a utd fan contented with the football you are seeing, happy scraping 2 pts from mediocre clubs, think our 2nd place last season was a great achievment, and we shouldn’t moan, or do you want more?

PoTMS

Attacking winning football. It shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Narcissistically quoting myself from another thread but....

I want something very simple.

Everyone at the club just needs to shut the fcuk up and do their jobs.

Management is top down.

Woodward coming out like a fcukwit briefing the press on Varane and transfer activity is pathetic. Undermines the manager.

Jose coming out like a fcukwit talking Shite about players: be that Martial and the kid, players returning from a World Cup, or individual mistakes. It undermines the players and breeds distrust.

Every single player talking sh1te to the press is fcukwittery. Pogba and these comments, Shaw and his clenched photos and subsequent interviews, Fellaini and his cnuty flirtations to 'earn' a contract. All of them. It breeds disharmony amongs the group.

Every single facet of our club is at fault.

But it starts at the top. Woodward needs to shut the fcuk up and focus on Commercial partnerships. He should be NOWHERE near the football side of the business. He's an ex banker. He has no experience of football whatsoever in the grand scheme of things. He needs to find an office, close the blinds, do his job, then go home. Repeat that every day of the week. If he wants a Football director; get it done in the dark and don't show your smarmy face in the media.

Our club is in trouble. Woodward is the root cause. The sooner the Board gets a clear hierarchy and structure in order, the better.

I'm sick of it all.

Why would Pogba keep his mouth shut when Woodward doesn't. Everyone in any business ever has always taken their lead from the head of that business. The guy is a barrier to success right now and the next 12 months will be very telling.

Do we want to be a club that simply makes money and stays popular, or do we compete year on year at the expense of a few $'s on the bottom line? Woodward wants the former. Fans expect the latter. Anyone that's defending Woodward right now should probably feck off and become a Spurs fan.

/rant

MadMike

"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now" - Farrokh Bulsara

SouthPredators4

I want Mourinho to respect our traditions when it comes to playing styles. We always had some of the most creative and exciting players in the league, complimented with pure hardwork and winners mentality. Our manager needs to know that instead of valuing workrate and physicality as his preferred attributes. Look at our team in the last 5 years. It hurts to see the post SAF era had brought such low standards and expectations and i am slowly losing my faith in Mourinho and the club's general direction or lack of. An indication would be the players whom we had missed out in the last 5 years as we amassed mercenaries and mediocre footballers.

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
Been a united fan since before the SAF era (yes that long!). Ron Atkinson was in charge, so definitely no glory supporter!.

United we're always known to play with flair even when we weren't at our best.

All i ask is the club follow tradition and play a decent level of attacking football. Not this 10 behind the ball with 1 up front & counter attack when provided with an opportunity garbage that's been played over the last 4-5 years, it doesn't suite us!.

Don't get me wrong i wouldn't be happy losing 4-3 week in, week out but tired of this ultra defensive dross that's been forced on us in recent years.

Hawks2008

To challenge and win on all fronts while playing a proactive and attractive brand of football.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Professionalism starting from the top. It feels like we're a badly run club when it comes to the football side of things.
After we sort that out, I want us to compete. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world yet we don't actually play like one.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If Jose wants to make us defensively solid as a unit then I'm fine with that, but I'd want the expectation that as soon as we win the ball back then we're going to see some great counter attacking football. I do kind of feel like that's what he's aiming for, but our distribution from the back needs to be swift and or forwards need to get their shit together.

I feel like it's coming, now I've seen Fred and Pogba, although both a bit rusty, with Pereira and Matic, I feel like the distribution to our attackers is going to get better. I think Dalot will help too if he's as good going forward as he sounds.

I think our fullbacks are crucial to our attack in providing width, particularly from the right. Hearing Shaw say that Jose was disappointed last season because he wasn't attacking as much as he should, pretty much puts to be the idea that our fullbacks are being told only to defend.

So if we continue with this deep defensive setup, this is what I want. I'd also expect that we do what we did to Chelsea a couple of seasons ago and catch teams cold by pressing them all over the pitch and being more forceful when required. Especially against the smaller teams.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Forget all the negativity, but Im going to start a thread riddled with negativity, that could have just gone in one of the many other negative threads created in the last day.

Last edited:

Canagel

To score more goals. To play more attacking football. Goals win games which lead to titles. At no point since SAF retired have we played consistent attacking football - at times not looking like we have a clue. What a coincidence we haven't been anywhere near the PL or CL in that period. Just play with more freedom and risk.

Last edited:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Yes this club is losing the point of what football is about. Football should be entertaining to watch. If you only care about results you may as well not watch and just check the score afterwards.

I want us to be active with an attacking plan on the pitch rather than defensive and reactive. Let teams be afraid of how to contain us first and foremost, rather than the opposite. Chances, shots on target. Success and trophies will follow.

I almost wish we had Klopp.

Alabaster Codify7

Professionalism starting from the top. It feels like we're a badly run club when it comes to the football side of things.
After we sort that out, I want us to compete. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world yet we don't actually play like one.
Totallyagree. We don't act or look like a big club since 2013. We act and look like what we currently are,a top 6 club.

I'd also like our supposedly world class players to start looking like something resembling world class players.

Obviously, like all of us,I want to be excited about watching my team again. It genuinely feels like a chore now.

RedMilo

a) An identity that I can relate to, in keeping with the clubs history b) a vision all the players are buying into, c) to leave the match having felt like regardless of the result, Utd gave it a good go and you can be proud of what you watched...

eire-red

This club was built on the foundations of entertaining the fans, playing a style of football that gives value back to the people who support our players week in week out. Win, lose or draw, it was always a rollercoaster ride that was addictive. Late winners, equalisers and comebacks are what defined United during SAF. I want to see a bit of the belief come back into the team, look forward to the weekend game knowing it is going to be special.

Of course, we appointed Mourinho knowing that's not his style, but being solid defensively and exciting with the ball and good on the attack aren't mutually exclusive. I would just like to see a bit of cohesiveness forming, a sense that we are actually heading in a direction, rather than going week to week doing what's required to grind out a result.

I think the club needs to stop focusing so much on the commercial business, hiring a DoF is crucial to this. First and foremost, Manchester United is a football club, and would be nothing without the great football tradition behind us. None of this commercial power would have been possible without the work done in the 80/90s to bring United back to the top in terms of a footballing powerhouse.

I dont know where we are going to finish this season, of course I hope we win the league and have a good run in the CL. With our squad, we should be challenging but whether that will be the case I don't know. Most of all I just want to see even the beginnings of a vision for United, a belief that we can get to where we want to be, doing what we are doing, because at the moment it just doesn't look like that.

Reactions: Invictus

lex talionis

I completely understand the frustration that we were behind City by 19 points last season and that after just one match we're in 7th place, but if you scratch just a little below the surface we could have easily beaten Leicester City 3-0 instead of 2-1.

Lukaku, when fit, will bury that glorious chance more often than not.

As for the Vardy goal, it was a communication mistake we don't see often between De Gea and Bailly. It will happen again, but not more than once again this season I reckon.

Despite De Gea having to make that one full stretch save, we comfortably kept Leicester City out of harm's way most of the game. A few tackles and blocks deep in our third but they were the kind of tackles you'd expect of our defenders.

This is the way it's going to go against clubs whose tactics are to go full stride on us -- defend and counter. We have to clean up the communication between De Gea and Bailly but we shouldn't believe that's going to a problem. It will be great to have Valencia over the somewhat limited Darmian (decent cover, though). It will be great to have Lukaku match fit and starting again. But do count me in among those who would like to see Sanchez move to the right and Martial return to the left. Sanchez was sensational on the right for his prior clubs and there's no obvious why he wouldn't succeed there again. Do that, pay homage to the fitness gods, and we can dispatch the Leicesters of the league fairly easily. City, however, is another matter and I'm afraid they're a notch better than us.

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
I want to be nervous before a game again, you know, the sort of nerves where you think "we should win this, but if something goes wrong it could get tricky". Right now I just don't feel anything but fear that absolutely any team could beat us - home or away.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't think asking to be entertained whilst holding our own is asking too much for a club like United, but it seems many will accept bad football atm just as long as we near enough with things.

Personally I'll keep pining for the days when we played exhilarating stuff, whilst winning lots of trophies, but I'll also be patient as soon as see the day this is at least trying to be brought back, sadly that is not yet.

Xaviboy

Id like us to play the way we started the game the other night. Quick football and movement. Quick at switching play. Putting pressure on the opposition. Overlapping full backs that can get in behind and create something. After about 10 mins after we scored we reverted back to the usual sit off approach and wait for the opposition to make a mistake. We should be making the opposition make a mistake by putting pressure on them not sitting off.

Last edited by a moderator:

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
1. Play attacking entertaining modern football
2. Give opportunities to young players
3. Challenge for titles

In that order.

Ban

Give their all on the pitch, challenge for the PL and CL and if possible win it.

Camilo

It's all well and good being an old school, pre-SAF supporter, but the reality is that the club is where it is because of SAF, the style of his teams, and the worldwide support he generated.

I started supporting United when I was 8 or 9, in 93 or 94 or so.. And I started supporting them because they played great football with exciting and relatable players. And they were winning. I was a glory hunter - nothing wrong with that. I think if United want to remain a world leading club they have to keep winning, and winning with style. It's why I and many millions around the globe chose United. And we'll keep supporting of course - we're as into the club as anyone else - but the next generation? Why would they want to follow us? Bland, slow, uninspiring football?

I want everything of course - I want attacking, positive, gung-ho football, and I want that to eventually translate into success. But I think Manchester United will begin to slip into irrelevance very quickly if the style of football isn't addressed at the very least.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Better than we played in the first half on friday, thats for sure. The second half was better, i admit, but with the players we have and the fact that we were at home, we should really have been out of sight by 80 minutes.

Got a feeling it will be torture away from home again this season. You know, the win 1-0 stuff. I can understand the mentality against good teams, but not against the poorer teams, especially with the caliber of players we have.

Crashoutcassius

There are people now saying they dont mind if we lost if we played a certain way. The opposite would be true if we were playing a certain way and not winning. No manager will please everyone unless it is a globally dominant team. Lots of city fans complaining about pep's naivety last year..

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
At the very top of my list is commitment. And it’s something I always find myself questioning these days. Yet something I would never question under a Ferguson United team.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not being frustrated. An intensity on the pitch that feels like we're going to get the job done.
Similarly with the club too. It used to feel like United always made the right moves, and even if I didn't agree with something I could trust it'll be fine and they know what they're doing.