What does the exit from UCL mean for United?

Edmeiste

great post sammsky. Bit of a voice of reason in all this mayhem today. Nonetheless, we had this coming. It might have been a blessing that we got our asses handed to us. Even though a lot of us are calling for the deadwood to be removed I'm not sure how the squad personnel will change. As much as I hate to say it, we might not see anything happen in January.

What I do feel is that this is definitely a transitory season and nothing more. Does it excuse us going out? No but it definitely should send a shockwave throughout the whole squad.

wr8_utd

:'(
Its going to affect us financially and morale wise. Hope we pick ourselves up. No one would have guessed this would happen two weeks into the new campaign. When the draws came out, we had one of the easiest draws as well.
It means that players being cup tied for the CL won't be a problem anymore. Goetze, Sneijder here we come :drool:

KOV

Melbourne! Was at Old Trafford for UNITED 5 Spurs
im gutted as we should have topped the group ..

couldnt stand going out on away goals again like we did to bayern 2 seasons back as that could be a possibility if we reached the last 16 or quarters..

that really hurt when we where the better side over two legs

will more than make up for it if we get to lift number 20 :devil:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
im gutted as we should have topped the group .. but couldnt stand going out on away goals again like we did to bayern 2 seasons back..

that really hurt when we where the better side over two leg

will more than make up for it if we get to lift number 20 :devil:
Are you confident of us lifting it this season?

RDCR07

How much money do we make on average for a home game with an attendance of 75,000?

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
How much money do we make on average for a home game with an attendance of 75,000?
It's about £2.3m gross for a cup game with a full attendance. To be perfectly honest I don't know the exact cost of putting on a game at Old Trafford but I think it's somewhere around £800,000. So net profit from a cup game will be £1.5m. Gross revenue from a Premier League game is around £3.7m, significantly higher because of the seasonal hospitality income which obviously isn't affected by the number of cup games that are played in the same season.

Kelvin

no CL revenue and income for the glazers... its going to hurt them.

RK

feck off.

Just feck off.
Really? Since August, its been shite? Who the feck were you watching? Scunthorpe?
City, Palace and failing to qualify from a straightforward group.

It's not about expectations or being spoilt and it's not relevant to other matches this season, those 3 things have been fairly humiliating for Manchester United. Particularly the fans. There's no excuse for all 3 happening within 2 and a bit months.

RDCR07

Yes I know the last two months have been shit but if someone says they were not happy with the start we had for the one and a half months, there is something wrong.

RK

Yes I know the last two months have been shit but if someone says they were not happy with the start we had for the one and a half months, there is something wrong.
It should've been clear that I didn't mean our general football or position in the league, I can take the good with the bad in that sense, but 3 self-inflicted embarrassments so close together is hard to take. I'll get over it.

RDCR07

Ive seen managers sacked for alot less. Just saying.

Glazers could do it!
No they won't. I say they don't have the balls to do it. First of all it would be utterly disastrous and the stupidest decision if they sacked him. Secondly, the fans already hate them and now if they go and sack him, they can expect a full scale riot at their door step.

RDCR07

It's about £2.3m gross for a cup game with a full attendance. To be perfectly honest I don't know the exact cost of putting on a game at Old Trafford but I think it's somewhere around £800,000. So net profit from a cup game will be £1.5m. Gross revenue from a Premier League game is around £3.7m, significantly higher because of the seasonal hospitality income which obviously isn't affected by the number of cup games that are played in the same season.
Wow that is a lot of revenue. Not to mention the TV broadcasting revenue we would have gotten from these games that we are no longer playing.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Hopefully this means that certain United fans stop going around saying Carrick is shit.

We are a different side without him.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We didn't have a chance of winning it anyway as we simply do not have the same quality as Barca, Real and arguably City. We're miles off Barca and Real tbh

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We didn't have a chance of winning it anyway as we simply do not have the same quality as Barca, Real and arguably City. We're miles off Barca and Real tbh
We're as good as Barcelona but Fletcher needs to play.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It wasn't just one-off shite-happened kind of accident. We underperformed in a series of matches, we've got what we deserved.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think that United are the only club in the world to have 5 transition years every decade

dmode

For United it means a negative impact due to the financial revenue loss.
For me it is a reality check about my team... we're utter shit! Even a team like Basel is better than us atm.

RDCR07

Well here we go. We have an answer financially.

BBC Sport - Early Champions League exit could cost Man Utd £20m

Manchester United's early Champions League exit could cost the club in the region of £20m, according to a leading football finance expert.

United's loss at Basel on Wednesday saw them fail to progress from the group stage for the first time since 2005-06 and drop into the Europa League.

"The cost is between £14m-£18m, just on the TV cash," Andy Green, who writes the blog andersred, told BBC Sport.

"And you can assume they'll lose a few million pounds on gate receipts."

United have now confirmed that season ticket holders will not be obliged to buy tickets for the Europa League.

To meet the Financial Fair Play Regulations is very hard for City, they absolutely need to be in the Champions League every year and they need to do well.

The club have not yet announced how Europa League tickets will go on sale as officials await the draw for the last 32 on 16 December.

Green, a critic of the club's owners, stressed that while the losses associated with the Champions League exit are not ideal, they are "not fundamental or disastrous" for the club.

"Last year, United were the losing finalists in the Champions League and the further you go in the competition obviously the more TV money you get," he said.

"Last year, for getting to the final, they got about 53m euros [£45m] in TV income and this year they got about 18m euros [£15.3m] less. But if they win the Europa League - a big if - you get £4m.

"The basic way of looking at United's finances is that they turn over about £300m, they've got about £200m of costs, most of which is wages, which leaves £100m of operating profit.

Man Utd threw away qualification- Evra
"They pay about £50m a year in interest [on debt still outstanding from the 2005 takeover by the Glazer family] and transfers have got to come out of that as well.

"So if you take that £100m they make and you say that this exit they've made from the Champions League is going to knock off about £20m, that's a bit of a hit."

Meanwhile, Green said that Manchester City's early exit from the Champions League was not ideal either, despite the continued bankrolling of its Abu Dhabi owners.

Uefa's Financial Fair Play Regulations, which came into force on 1 June, essentially mean teams cannot spend more than they generate from the football side of their business, or risk being excluded from European competition.

"In one respect City are fine because they're bankrolled by Abu Dhabi, so financially they can swallow it up," said Green. "But to meet the Financial Fair Play Regulations is very hard for them.

"They absolutely need to be in the Champions League every year and they need to do well. So this is not a great start in that endeavour."

Sarni

We'd have won both finals if he were fit.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think that United are the only club in the world to have 5 transition years every decade
For United it means a negative impact due to the financial revenue loss.
For me it is a reality check about my team... we're utter shit! Even a team like Basel is better than us atm.
Devilish, all you do is complain about our team and drool over other teams and players, whilst constantly belittling United. I often find myself wondering why you even bother 'supporting' United.

dmode, if you really believe that Basel are better than us then you're an idiot, quite frankly.

Sarni

We'd have made the final and won it if it were against Barcelona but only under one condition.