What happened to Graham Linehan?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He was invited to speak via zoom to the house of lords communication committee tonight and he moaned about losing his twitter account and that his wife left him.

DOTA

Oof. Kind of inevitable but that might break him. This won’t end well.
It was quite a while ago, I believe. Forget how long but I'm thinking more than a year, less than two.

DOTA

Why was he telling them about that? :lol:
He was suggesting the pressures of the backlash he received on social media for his views put pressure on their marriage.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
:lol:

One of the more relatable things I've seen about him tbh. I shoot cops on GTA when I'm having a rough time.
You monster. You're supposed to lead them into the sea so they drown.

Why was he telling them about that? :lol:
He was moaning about his marriage being cancelled by the woke Twitter mob.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It was quite a while ago, I believe. Forget how long but I'm thinking more than a year, less than two.
Ok, makes sense. I gave up Twitter about a year ago and unfollowed him about a year before that. Back then his identity seemed to be quite wrapped up in being a family man. I’m not sure what’s more depressing. Ignoring members of his family to to be hateful on Twitter. Or utterly devoted to this weird crusade, with no other interests to distract him. Either way, I can see him cracking at some point soon.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If my social media activity was such that I found myself banned by multiple major social media platforms, sued, issued an official warning by the police, separated from my wife and posting on a lesbian dating app dressed as a made-up woman, I'd probably wonder if I was in the wrong.

Brophs

The One and Only
Didn't he also lose the writing gig on Motherland (to his wife) due to his weirdness?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ok, makes sense. I gave up Twitter about a year ago and unfollowed him about a year before that. Back then his identity seemed to be quite wrapped up in being a family man. I’m not sure what’s more depressing. Ignoring members of his family to to be hateful on Twitter. Or utterly devoted to this weird crusade, with no other interests to distract him. Either way, I can see him cracking at some point soon.
Err... has that train not been and gone?

Trequarista10

I watched a podcast he went on with some "skeptics/anti PCers" and it was the most awkward thing ever. They were like hey Graham Linehan was once a massive progressivist who joined in social justice woke campaigns on twitter against people, now he has upset woke twitter with his comments about trans women and he's had a whole rethink and has left the social justice cult, and Linehan was like urm nah I'm still a social justice warrior and I disagree with you on every thing except trans women are not real women. Then they talked about Father Ted for a bit.

I still can't fathom that this is the guy who wrote Father Ted and It Crowd. My brain can not compute it at all.

Djemba-Djemba

If my social media activity was such that I found myself banned by multiple major social media platforms, sued, issued an official warning by the police, separated from my wife and posting on a lesbian dating app dressed as a made-up woman, I'd probably wonder if I was in the wrong.
It's why I find the whole thing weirdly fascinating.

Here was a very very well respected guy who either through writing or directing or acting had been in almost every major British comedy of the last 25 years from Father Ted to The Day Today to Alan Partridge to Motherland etc and he's absolutely destroyed his own life over this niche issue that doesn't concern him.

He's basically unemployable, his wife has left him, he's been banned from multiple social media platforms and he just generally has the reputation of a bigot that people should stay away from. It's bizarrely interesting.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's why I find the whole thing weirdly fascinating.

Here was a very very well respected guy who either through writing or directing or acting had been in almost every major British comedy of the last 25 years from Father Ted to The Day Today to Alan Partridge to Motherland etc and he's absolutely destroyed his own life over this niche issue that doesn't concern him.

He's basically unemployable, his wife has left him, he's been banned from multiple social media platforms and he just generally has the reputation of a bigot that people should stay away from. It's bizarrely interesting.
A slow motion train wreck. It’s why I followed him on Twitter for so long. But you can only rubber neck a slow descent into insanity for so long. It gets draining.

Withnail

Ffs, He's shameless. Claiming they took his family is an outrageous thing to say. I don't expect much from Nolan but, jaysus, he could have pressed him a little there on how exactly they were supposed to have done that.

Last edited:

MoskvaRed

I don’t understand how someone gets so monomaniacal about an issue that doesn’t directly affect them. A strange hill to die on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Trans campaigners took his family away? There was me thinking the wife who left him would have had some agency in the situation. I wonder if she similarly blames those pesky trans folk for ruining her marriage without directing any blame in his direction?

It's not even anything to do with trans arguments really. He just started behaving like a mad obsessive prick on the internet.

DOTA

I don’t understand how someone gets so monomaniacal about an issue that doesn’t directly affect them. A strange hill to die on.
If you genuinely believe that transwomen are all dangerous perverts and that society accepting them is going to lead to a huge increase in sexual assaults on women and girls then I can see how it seems a cause worth losing a lot over.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He was one of the most askew faces there's ever been. He's more lopsided than Steve Bruce.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
In a world with literally so many things worth fighting for, the things some people choose to go all in for are so weird. It's akin to a few previously apolitical people I know who have lost most of their friends on a crusade for some incorrect definition of freedom post covid. It's a similar thing in that they might actually believe they are on the side of right or good, or perhaps they need to believe it for some reason. Its fascinating considering the myriad glaring injustices about the globe.