What happened to Graham Linehan?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Now I’m really confused - Herring and Lee haven’t fallen out have they!?
Oh yes. Not like a spectacular row or anything (that I know of) but Herring makes it extremely clear that Lee has always been a dick-head whenever his name gets mentioned. I’m sure jealousy plays a part but he seems like a balanced enough guy to have got over that by now, if Stewart Lee wasn’t actually a bit of a prick for real.

Plus his stand up annoys me. Way too self important and not funny enough.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Oh yes. Not like a spectacular row or anything (that I know of) but Herring makes it extremely clear that Lee has always been a dick-head whenever his name gets mentioned. I’m sure jealousy plays a part but he seems like a balanced enough guy to have got over that by now, if Stewart Lee wasn’t actually a bit of a prick for real.

Plus his stand up annoys me. Way too self important.
I genuinely thought that was all a joke. Like how he bangs on about Coogan and Partridge (I know he actually hates the producer!) He’s had Lee on his podcast a few times.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

He always did want the moon on a stick.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I genuinely thought that was all a joke. Like how he bangs on about Coogan and Partridge (I know he actually hates the producer!) He’s had Lee on his podcast a few times.
He does play it for laughs. You can sense there’s a real enmity there though.

I always compare it in my head to Adam (another podcaster I’m fond of) and Joe. A double act that imploded, with one of them going on to much greater things. Hence a load of jealousy and hurt feelings ensues. But they’re two essentially nice blokes who remain very fond of each other despite it all.

There’s none of that enduring warmth between Herring and Lee and you can tell it’s mainly Lee’s fault

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Stewart Lee and Herring are joking I think? And Lee does lean into his persona as a smug wanker. It's an act. He is a bit of a smug wanker so he has a good base for it. I've seen him a couple of times and love him to bits.

His new show where he does Ricky Gervais 'saying the unsayable' for far too long is great.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I tend to think anyone who has been declared Poster of the Year on the Caf is automatically disqualified from commenting in comedy. You've been voted twice, which means you're not even allowed to comment on podcasts.
Harsh. I consider myself a podcast connoisseur. I do have terrible taste in stand-up though. The last live show I went to was Louis CK.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Exhibit A.

Clever. Not funny. Comes across as an arrogant prick.

That whole show is fantastic.

In his latest show he goes on about taking his punchlines out of context, he actually mentions that exact one because some tabloid published it without the context of the 45 minute lead in.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
That whole show is fantastic.

In his latest show he goes on about taking his punchlines out of context, he actually mentions that exact one because some tabloid published it without the context of the 45 minute lead in.
Is that Basic Lee? Got tickets for that next month.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I think all this discussion is showing is that the Venn diagram for Stewart Lee fans and people that post in this thread would just be a single circle if not for Pogue.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I always compare it in my head to Adam (another podcaster I’m fond of) and Joe. A double act that imploded, with one of them going on to much greater things.
Seems a bit harsh on Buxton. JC had a successful indie film followed by a box office bomb (he co-wrote Tin Tin and Ant-Man but that seems more down to Edgar Wright's involvement) whereas Buxton has been a mainstay of UK comedy circuit for years (TV and touring).

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
His Diana and Alf bit was absolutely hilarious.
One of the funniest routines anyone has ever done. The long uncomfortable bits are amazing. Even in the room when you know it's deliberate. Still, the tension it creates in the room makes the laughter such a release.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
One of the funniest routines anyone has ever done. The long uncomfortable bits are amazing. Even in the room when you know it's deliberate. Still, the tension it creates in the room makes the laughter such a release.
It’s so good, I’ve watched it multiple times and it never fails to crack me up.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Herring has mocked those who don't get the joke about him and Lee multiple times. The last time on rhlstp when they had just had dinner together. Obviously there is elements of truth to some of the digs but there is a lot of pretend going on. Same thing when he lays into Andrew Collings.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Seems a bit harsh on Buxton. JC had a successful indie film followed by a box office bomb (he co-wrote Tin Tin and Ant-Man but that seems more down to Edgar Wright's involvement) whereas Buxton has been a mainstay of UK comedy circuit for years (TV and touring).
Hmmm. Fair point. I guess it’s more that only one of them ever lived the dream they both shared growing up?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Herring has mocked those who don't get the joke about him and Lee multiple times. The last time on rhlstp when they had just had dinner together. Obviously there is elements of truth to some of the digs but there is a lot of pretend going on. Same thing when he lays into Andrew Collings.

Yeah they did have a row and stopped the double act thing but it's going to be unworkable if one starts doing solo stuff that is eclipsing the double act.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Hmmm. Fair point. I guess it’s more that only one of them ever lived the dream they both shared growing up?
Yeah, that's fair. Cornish's CV definitely looks better on the surface, and will probably be even more impressive in 5-10 years. He has a Netflix superhero show in the works and is making a sequel to Attack the Block.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yeah, that's fair. Cornish's CV definitely looks better on the surface, and will probably be even more impressive in 5-10 years. He has a Netflix superhero show in the works and is making a sequel to Attack the Block.
Also, TKWWBK was pretty damn good. So that’s two decent big budget Hollywood movies under his belt already.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That was generally the case but I'm also pretty sure they legitimately fell out again a few years ago after Lee pulled out on a plan to release some of their old work on DVD. There was also a RHLSTP interview promoting that botched release that Herring has since said was rather unpleasant. A chunk was cut from it where Lee criticised Herring's management company at length. I think this sentiment in response to a rather snide interview Lee gave is actually genuine:

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Exhibit A.

Clever. Not funny. Comes across as an arrogant prick.
It was funny in bits. And mostly spot on - which reduced the comedy value. Anyone who voted for something so obviously idiotic deserves ridicule though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I thought it was an ongoing joke based on the tensions that caused them to stop working together as a double act but not a case of of a genuine falling out. But maybe Lee has pissed him off with the interview mentioned ion the above tweet. Not that I care either way.

Tarrou

i love how GB News now looks like someone parodying a news segment from the 90s

and all these pricks crying about being cancelled not seeing the irony of having the platform on TV to do so

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I thought it was an ongoing joke based on the tensions that caused them to stop working together as a double act but not a case of of a genuine falling out. But maybe Lee has pissed him off with the interview mentioned ion the above tweet. Not that I care either way.
I actually went back and rewatched that live show off the back of this which was plugged as raising funds for the DVD of Richard Not Judy - what I found interesting was at the start Herring says the DVD isn’t happening, doesn’t give a reason and then says “and here is the last performance of us on stage together” - and whilst Lee is funny throughout he does talk over him a lot and makes repeated jabs at his management company.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
partly because he's parodying his own routine though
Yeah, it's fair to say he leans on certain aspects of his personality for comedic effect. Doesn't make his personality less dislikeable though.

I don't hate him, mind you. I just find him quite annoying and nowhere near as funny as his fans think. I can see how clever and talented he is but it's just not for me.

I feel the same way about jazz.