g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What if Fergie was still managing us now?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What would our squad look like?

Here's @GazTheLegend to kick things off.

I think about that from time to time to!

In that alternate universe, we sold Rooney, we got Alcantara, Zaha went on to become world class and we turned down a 200million bid for him from Madrid last summer, we never bought Pogba and Januzaj became the next Ryan Giggs.

Shame we’re in this Moyes filled universe.

Siorac

He still wouldn't have bought a central midfielder.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Scholes would have come out of retirement a third time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
---------------De Gea----------------
Rafael---Smalling---Jones---Shaw
Valencia---Thiago---Carrick---Young
-------Welbeck----Ronaldo-------

Not entirely serious with the above as who knows who Fergie may or may not have recruited beyond that initial first summer

Siorac

---------------De Gea----------------
Rafael---Smalling---Jones---Shaw
Valencia---Thiago---Carrick---Young
-------Welbeck----Ronaldo-------

Not entirely serious with the above as who knows who Fergie may or may not have recruited beyond that initial first summer
We'd definitely have Sanchez, too - he couldn't say no to him the same way he just HAD TO get Van Persie.

Pogue Mahone

Yet United would have been in the title race and made players like Jones and Smalling look like clones of Nesta.
Yes and no. We had some awful defensive performances involving those two towards the end of Fergie’s career. He might have binned at least one of them by now but let’s not forget how long he held onto Anderson.

It’s a weird one actually. There were clear signs his latest overhaul was gonna fail before he retired. I reckon we would have had a shitty season or two (with loads of “Fergie’s past it” chat) but be on the verge of getting back on our perch by now. If not back on it already.

Xcited

Think Martial would be even more incredible.

We have done an decent job recruiting players, since JM arrived anyway, but imagine what SAF could achieve with these super-budgets.

Also another key element with be the stability. The staff behind SAF would not have changed, the way we played ect, ect.

I think Fergie was clever enough to know the team needed a major revamp when he retired. If he had any kind of decline he would find a solution. If he was still in charge he would have got the adequate replacements, they may not have been star signings. Some would be mind, albeit others not. However when SAF got their hands on them, the majority would look like star players.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
SAF's transfer policy was diabolical (DDG aside) in his last 5-6 years and he completely failed to embrace the changing market and lack of "value" in the modern game anymore. He left Moyes with an arguably not so great squad.

But it was SAF, the quality of the PL has been so poor since he left that he'd have probably won the league another 3 times with an even shitter squad than the one he handed over to Moyes.

kundalini

Once players had proved their value to him, Sir Alex tended to keep them unless they forced a transfer or it got to the stage where they weren't getting much playing time. So Rafael, Welbeck, Evans, Hernandez, perhaps Cleverley, would have stood a decent chance of still being at Old Trafford. Fabio never owned a position in the team so less likely he would be here. Kagawa would have been give more of an opportunity though whether he was actually good enough to take it is debatable.

In terms of incoming transfers, it is hard to imagine Sir Alex recruiting quite so many relatively static players as we have done since he left. Unlikely that Mata, Fellaini, Blind, Zlatan, Schweinsteiger would have joined. He and David Gill were reluctant to buy players aged 28 or over.

At least a couple of youth team players would have come through the system. Possibly Lingard and Rashford. Alternatively, Januzaj, Pereira.

There would have been a few big money signings though not the churn that happened under LVG.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Probably have di Maria, too. Another two or three titles. We'd have won 13/14 and 15/16, that's for sure.

luke511

Once players had proved their value to him, Sir Alex tended to keep them unless they forced a transfer or it got to the stage where they weren't getting much playing time. So Rafael, Welbeck, Evans, perhaps Cleverley, would have stood a decent chance of still being at Old Trafford. Fabio never owned a position in the team so less likely he would be here.

In terms of incoming transfers, it is hard to imagine Sir Alex recruiting quite so many relatively static players as we have done since he left. Unlikely that Mata, Fellaini, Blind, Zlatan, Schweinsteiger would have joined. He and David Gill were reluctant to buy players aged 28 or over.
Rafael could be a world beater now if fergie would've stayed, he was class in 2012/2013.

youngrell

I believe Kane would have been bought to replace RVP – he is a classic Fergie signing and it would've been done way before Kane was valued at £200m or whatever.

Midfield I'm not too sure on.

Of the players we have signed since he retired, there's not many I believe Fergie would have bought. Shaw maybe, but with his possible poor mentality then I'm not sure. He would have worked well with Di Maria, I expect.

We'd still have Evans, Rafael, Nani, possibly Fletcher and Kagawa.

Trizy

Probably have another 1 or 2 titles but still be second this season. Wouldn't have missed out in the CL during those previous seasons or went out in the group stages.

I wonder what our squad would look like though. We'd definitely have Ronaldo and probably would've bought Sanchez. We wouldn't have Matic or Pogba though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Strootman would be at the club if he was still managing and maybe Thiago. Chong would also have featured by now..

luke511

I believe Kane would have been bought to replace RVP – he is a classic Fergie signing and it would've been done way before Kane was valued at £200m or whatever.

Of the players we have signed since he retired, there's not many I believe Fergie would have bought. Shaw maybe, but with his possible poor mentality then I'm not sure. He would have worked well with Di Maria, I expect.

I think fergie mentioned in an interview not much longer after we signed Shaw and Herrera that they were on utd's radar when he was still manager.

Pogue Mahone

Who would instantly improve our defence right now.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

no way would he have kept Nani.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think we'd see something like this by now:

De Gea
Coleman - Jones - Evans - Shaw
Kroos - Romeu
Mane - Lingard - Rashford
Kane​

POF

We wouldn’t have Martial but would definitely have four out and out strikers in our squad.
I thought Martial was a long term club target, much like Herrera and Shaw? Herrera would have been great under Fergie.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Luke Shaw and Jesse Lingard as CM, Pogba on the bench.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
No Pogba, that's for sure. He'd have loved to sign Kane. Maybe a winger like Sane or Douglas Costa would have been on his radar? SAF loved touchline hugging wingers.

Not sure if John Stones or de Bruyne could have been possibilities either.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No Pogba, that's for sure. He'd have loved to sign Kane. Maybe a winger like Sane or Douglas Costa would have been on his radar? SAF loved touchline hugging wingers.

Not sure if John Stones or de Bruyne could have been possibilities either.
We'd have replaced Jones with Stones IMO. Sir Alex was patient with injury prone players up to a point. Jones reached that point a while ago.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
De Gea
Rafael Škriniar Evans Tierney
Rashford Thiago Herrera Lingard
Kane Sanchez

Big European CB signing, Academy players, Energetic team and dependable goal scorers. Ticks all the boxes of a SAF side for me.​

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
We'd have replaced Jones with Stones IMO. Sir Alex was patient with injury prone players up to a point. Jones reached that point a while ago.
Yeah, that's what I thought. And he love(d) his English/British core/spine as well!

I'm just struggling to come up with English CM's. Dier maybe?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
We wouldn't sign any of Raiola players and Rooney wouldn't be our record scorer.

Think we would have Herrera as a Fletcher replacement, Shaw and Thiago. If not Thiago, Kroos is a good shout and I believe he would go all out for Kane immediately after the breakthrough season.

Evans surely and possibly Rafael and Welbeck would still be here.

Lets get ready to wumble

Honestly, I would fear for Fergie right now.

I think he got out just at the right time, his timing couldn't have been more spot on. Football has really changed since he retired and he was moving more in the direction of a pragmatic style of play in his final years compared to his 'gung ho' football of the 90s.

But if anyone could adapt to the new challenges of today, it would be Fergie, might take him 2 or 3 years but he could get there. So it is difficult to second guess who he might have signed. He did have a preference though, particularly later, of signing domestic based players.

Jose sadly, I don't have the same faith in, he has shown absolutely zero signs of wanting to adapt, too dogmatic, too obsessed with signing these big oafs who are average in possession.

Bwuk

We’d of got Kane when he was breaking through at Spurs.

I think Rafael, Welbeck and Evans would all still be here.

De Gea
Rafael - Evans - Stones - Shaw
Herrera - Carrick - Kroos
Lingard - Kane - di Maria​

Something like that.

youngrell

I think fergie mentioned in an interview not much longer after we signed Shaw and Herrera that they were on utd's radar when he was still manager.
Yeah I could see Herrera under Fergie, especially after the Bilbao game. I mentioned Shaw in my post and think he's a classic Fergie signing on the face of it, but he would have feelers out about his personality/mentality and he could've swayed either way.

L1nk

No Fellaini, no Pogba, no Mata, no Mkhitaryan. Not even sure about Rashford to be honest... Rashford didn't exactly stand out as potential word class in youth, James Wilson was a better prospect, I still think LVG was forced to use him due to circumstances at the time and obviously all the dominoes fell down after that, though if the same would of happened under Fergie I don't know. Lingard would still be playing for us, McTominay maybe, I think Fergie would of had more foresight regarding Schneiderlin and not signed him, however, I get the feeling he might of gone in hard for Leon Goretzka, particularly on a free, even if he would of been successful or not. I also think, with his love for pure wingers, he would of loved Pulisic and gone in for him hard as well.

Keeper - De Gea
RB - Rafael
CB - Evans
CB - Stones
LB - Shaw/Tierney
LW - Nani/Kagawa
CM - Carrick
CM - Kroos/Goretzka/Herrera
RW - Lingard/Pulisic
ST - Robin van Persie/Hernandez

He wouldn't sold Rafael, Evans, Nani, Kagawa, RVP or Hernandez, in my opinion.

youngrell

no way would he have kept Nani.
I don't think it would be as certain as that. Despite injuries, Nani was still an important squad member in his final season. He started his last ever CL game in charge after all. Or would that be the catalyst for Nani seeing the door? :D

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There's no way SAF would have bowed down to super agents. He's not the type. I think he would have had to finally concede that the old guard is retiring for good. His money pinching tactics would also mean us not signing players who are in a big club's radar. So here's the team I think we would end up with for the 2017-2018 year

-----------------DDG-------------------
Rafael----Evans------Smalling-----Shaw/Tierney

--------Herrera/Mctominay----N'zonzi/Davies-----------

Valencia-------Thiago Alcantara/Barkley-------Martial

--------------------Rashford/Chicarito-----------------

pascell

We’d of got Kane when he was breaking through at Spurs.

I think Rafael, Welbeck and Evans would all still be here.

De Gea
Rafael - Evans - Stones - Shaw
Herrera - Carrick - Kroos
Lingard - Kane - di Maria​

Something like that.
I'd say something similar, but Coleman for Rafael, Smalling for Stones and Matic for Carrick as SAF was a big fan of Matic.

I'd also say Januzaj and Memphis would still be around and maybe Wilson.