What if Fergie was still managing us now?

fallengt

He would have signed Thiago, Kroos, Dembele, Zlatan and probably Neymar.

kps88

He mentioned how he was hesitant to deal with Levy after Berbatov. Kane would have been quite a struggle.

I think he would have sold Rooney with no replacement and this place would have gone into meltdown after being linked with every big name striker all summer.

youngrell

Would Chicharito and Welbeck still be here do we think?

I know Hernandez was already getting frustrated with a back up role but Welbeck was quite favoured by SAF and he'd not have suffered the injuries he has at Arsenal (presumably).

Thisistheone

We'd have won at MK Dons and Fergie wouldn't have left without Dele Alli signing for us.

Zaha would defintely still be here as well, looking a brilliant player

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, that's what I thought. And he love(d) his English/British core/spine as well!

I'm just struggling to come up with English CM's. Dier maybe?
Don't think we'd have got him from Spurs. We might have kept Cleverley as a squad member that's about it.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I don't think it would be as certain as that. Despite injuries, Nani was still an important squad member in his final season. He started his last ever CL game in charge after all. Or would that be the catalyst for Nani seeing the door? :D
Nani was not an important player in Fergie's last season at all. He barely got a sniff. Valencia was having a terrible season and Fergie still wouldn't play Nani over him. He only really forced himself into that CL side because of his League Cup performance against Chelsea (I think?) right before it which he only came on in the second half of! After that we barely saw him again. He was a goner.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don't think we'd have dropped out of the top 4, and I'd like to think we'd have picked up at least one league title between now and 2013.

Squad-wise I don't think we'd have seen anywhere near the same dramatic overhaul we have done.

My take on things where bold means they'd still be here and italics means they might still be here.

2012/13 Goalkeepers: De Gea, Lindegaard, Amos, Johnstone

I think it's very likely Lindegaard would have gone here, Amos too. Think Johnstone would have had a better chance at being our No. 2 with Fergie still here, rather than being shipped out on loan, and probably permanently soon. Not really much of an issue in the GK position because De Gea was already establishing himself by this stage.

2012/13 Defenders: Rafael, Evra, Jones, Ferdinand, Evans, Smalling, Vidic, Buttner, Wootton, Vermijl, Keane, Thorpe, Blackett, Veseli, Fabio

A lot of young players there that I don't think were making the step up. I think there's a chance one, but unlikely not both, of Buttner or Fabio remained as back-up, depending on how happy they were in that role. Keane's obviously come on a lot since leaving us, but I don't know how much he was showing while he was here, so he may well have been let go.

Evra, Ferdinand and Vidic I think may have stayed at most one year longer than they did. Evra possibly another on top of that, but they were in the twilight when Fergie retired. I think it was very obvious that he saw Rafael has the future of our RB position, and he seemed very confident in Smalling, Evans, and Jones in particular, stepping up to be our main central defenders. A left back, possibly Shaw, possibly someone else entirely, would have been something of a priority, and I think we'd have probably gone for another CB too.

2012/13 Midfielders: Valencia, Anderson, Giggs, Carrick, Nani, Young, Scholes, Cleverley, Fletcher, Powell, Kagawa, Bebe, Cole, Lingard, Brady, Januzaj, Petrucci, Tunnicliffe, Zaha

Still in desperate need of strength in the middle this one, but not a clue who we'd have brought in. I think Anderson would have still been let go as it was clear he'd not developed quite as we'd hoped when he first signed. Cleverley would still be here, I think, as our regularly rotating back-up, and Carrick in his final year or so. Nani, Lingard, Januzaj and Zaha would be our go to wide players, and I'm not entirely sure whether both Young and Valencia would have survived this long under Fergie because I'm not sure he'd have transitioned either to full-back. Kagawa's a difficult one to call, because we didn't really get to see too much of him under Fergie, and he did look a bit lost in England after he left. Might still be here, but even if he had still gone, I think he'd have lasted longer than he did.

A few young players here again that I don't think were making the step up, and I think Scholes was retiring for good the end of 2012/13 as it was. Giggs may have stayed on further than 2013/14 if Fergie were still there, but would have definitely retired by now, and would likely be part of Fergie's staff. Fletcher, I think, would have still moved on. Powell's the only other question mark for me as we barely saw him do anything, but obviously a young player Fergie liked the look of. Always difficult to tell with those ones. Pereira and McTominay look like the sort of players Fergie would have absolutely given a chance to by now, but obviously they were a bit young for contention in 2012/13.

2012/13 Forwards: Berbatov, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck, van Persie, Henriquez, Macheda, King, Keane

Rashford wasn't a part of the squad back then, obviously, but I don't think anything would have changed too much regarding his ascension to the first team. Only difference likely to be quite how many games he was playing. Think Wilson would likely have featured a bit more too. Henriquez, Macheda, King and Keane moving on seems fairly obvious, with the same being true for Berbatov and van Persie.

Rooney seemed to be very much on his way out at this point, so I'd be very surprised if he'd even made it to 2013/14 under Fergie. Hernandez is the only question mark here for me. Fergie obviously liked him and trusted him to play a certain role in the squad, but I'm not sure he had the longevity to remain even under Fergie.

That would have left us with De Gea, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Carrick, Nani, Cleverley, Lingard, Januzaj, Zaha and Welbeck, with Rashford, Wilson, Pereira and McTominay likely academy graduates between then and now. On top of those I imagine a few of Buttner, Fabio, Valencia, Young, Powell, Kagawa and Hernandez would also still be part of the squad.

It's very difficult to call the signings Fergie would have made. Whether he would have stuck with his "value in the market" strategy for this long, with the money we've been so clearly willing to spend available to him, and with the market so obviously changing as it has, is always going to be a point of contention. Based on the signings we have made, this is my take on who we may have signed, and who we wouldn't.

2013/14: Varela seems likely. Fergie always liked taking a punt on young players, and he looks like one that was sanctioned before Moyes anyway, given the timing of the transfer. Can't see us going for Fellaini or Mata though. Janko is a maybe too, for the same reasons as Varela. Not sure either would have made the necessary step up even with Fergie in charge though.

2014/15: Herrera a definite maybe, and also one that seems to have been identified as a target prior to both van Gaal and Moyes. A very Fergie player as well. Shaw another solid possibility. A very talented young player already performing well in the Premier League, and available for a price I think even "value in the market" Fergie would have gone for. Milinkovic-Savic (not that one) never really happened so I'm not sure there's much point discussing him. Can't see us going for Rojo with Fergie in charge, in all honesty. Same goes for Blind. Di Maria for that money is pretty much a definite no, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not sure we'd have gone anywhere near Falcao given the reported loan fee and wages. Fosu-Mensah is another that very much fits the bill of a young talent available for a reasonable fee, which is what Fergie loved. He'd be fairly well established as part of the squad now too, I'd have thought. El Fitouri and Kellet were both odd signings, the latter more-so, and I've not much to say about either. Valdes is a possibility, but not as strong as some of the others. Fergie liked a bargain, and he did represent a bargain, even if it didn't work out. Likely to face the same troubles about his desire to be back-up to De Gea though.

2015/16: Depay another solid maybe. Would likely have fared better too with some better management. Darmian another in a similar boat. Schweinsteiger is actually one of the ones I'm more certain about Fergie going for, particularly with our issues in the middle. Hopefully would have made more of an impact with Fergie in charge. Schneiderlin another I think Fergie may have gone for, although I'm not sure he'd have gone for Schneiderlin having already signed Herrera, and with an eye on some of the players in the academy. Romero, see Valdes. Definitely wouldn't have signed both in consecutive seasons. Martial is a more tentative maybe for me. The fee and add-ons are reportedly quite high, and it seems the sort of transfer Fergie may have passed over for a cheaper option. Poole another in the young players pile.

2016/17: Bailly seems a possibility. Young and talented, but still able to slot into the first team. Ibrahimovic seems another near certainty when it was on a free, even for one season. Would have probably won the league last season with Fergie and him. Not sure we'd have gone for Mkhitaryan to be honest. I think we'd have promoted youth ahead of looking to sign him for the fee we paid. Pogba is another very tentative maybe. Fergie would have loved to have had him back, but I'm struggling to believe he'd have paid anywhere near the fee we did for him.

2017/18: Lindelof another possibility, but I don't think we're signing him and Bailly under Fergie. Lukaku another very tentative maybe. A young player Fergie would have been interested in, for a fee I can't see him paying. Matic a likely yes, again due to the midfield issues, and for the chance to get a very good player for an obviously below market rate, even if Fergie was still looking for value. Sanchez an almost definite yes on a free.

SirAF

Ageist
SAF's transfer policy was diabolical (DDG aside) in his last 5-6 years and he completely failed to embrace the changing market and lack of "value" in the modern game anymore. He left Moyes with an arguably not so great squad.

But it was SAF, the quality of the PL has been so poor since he left that he'd have probably won the league another 3 times with an even shitter squad than the one he handed over to Moyes.
He definitely would have won it the Leicester year.

Skills

Snitch
We'd have won at MK Dons and Fergie wouldn't have left without Dele Alli signing for us.
Was Alli even any good in that game? Only thing I remember from that game was Evans playing the worst game I've ever seen from a CB at any level.

Skills

Snitch
Woodward and Fergie would've been a combo. Woodward bringing out Fergies inner Muppet.

Alexis would've been here a lot sooner imo. There's no way Fergie let's a winger of that quality go to Arsenal in 2014. I think we would've gone in a lot stronger for Lewandowski as well the same summer. Two things Fergie lover was strikers and wingers.

Hephaestus

De Gea
Rafael - Jones - Evans - Shaw
Thiago - Strootman - Rooney
Zaha - Lukaku - Sanchez

Think he'd have still bought Shaw and Lukaku - both fit the bill of players he'd like and I don't think he'd pass on Lukaku just because of his agent. Zaha, Evans and Rafael I'd expect to stay, Zaha was his last major signing and someone who would have developed really well under him and both Rafael and Evans looked to be improving during his final year, especially Rafael. Thiago, Strootman and Sanchez were all linked to us and we'd have been all over Sanchez when he left Barcelona.

And finally the obvious one, Rooney, definitely going to need to explain this one! I actually don't think Fergie would have got rid of him that summer, in fact I don't think their big fight would have happened at all. Fergie knew he was retiring when he had the falling out and my gut feeling is that when Rooney brought up his issues, Fergie couldn't be bothered with it and decided to just leave it to his successor to mend the relationship between player and club or to punt him out on his arse. This is based on the "transfer request" that Fergie came up with, something Rooney explained by saying he suggested he might be better off if he left and Fergie basically agreed. My feeling is that Fergie would have instead looked to try and reassure Rooney like he did before and Rooney would have been convinced to carry on. I also think that Rooney's speedy decline would have been avoided under Fergie and he'd have moved into the midfield role by now.

Reactions: Penna

MoskvaRed

Fergie always liked a core of young British players so we would probably have made more effort to get the likes of Kane, Walker, Stones and Ali rather then chasing the likes of Falcao, Schweinsteiger and di Maria. Although, given he was baulking at transfer prices in 2010, I don't know how he would cope with a market where the Ox goes for 40 million.

As for the players we have let go since 2013, I think most of them would have been culled anyway although Anderson may have survived as club jester.

Djemba-Djemba

It's depressing to think about what if Fergie was still managing us because it would have been such a better last 5 years. Just makes you miss him more if you really start to analyse things.

youngrell

Bale may have been a possibility that summer. I know it seems he had his mind set on Madrid but Fergie could possibly have been a decisive factor. He'd have been great under him.

Deleted member 101472

We would have 4 more premier leagues, 3 more champions leagues, 3 FA cups, 2 league cups, 2 Super cups and 3 world club cups, all thanks to the man fergie actually oversaw going on to become the best player the club has ever had.

Thisistheone

Was Alli even any good in that game? Only thing I remember from that game was Evans playing the worst game I've ever seen from a CB at any level.
Think he won motm didn't he? Might be wrong but he definitely stood out and at just 18 would have been a player to catch Fergie's eye.

Oscie

If Fergie was still in charge there'd be calls from people who are definitely NOT glory hunters, but merely enthusiastic supporters with high standards, for him to go after each unsatisfactory performance/result.

James Peril

Fergie’s time would have arrived too, he’s an old man now. Football has developed exponentially since he left us, the level has increased a whole lot. Egos are much bigger, some players are actually bigger than the club - and you need the best to win. Agents have a bigger role, Fergie hated them. Social media, commercial activities, you name it. The older you get, the harder it is to accept changes - see Wenger.

GazTheLegend

Tremendously hard to say but I will just have to guess our side:

de Gea
Rafael-Smalling-Jones-Baines
Zaha-Alcantara-Herrera-Di Maria
Kagawa
Rashford
Kagawa is a bit of a stretch, as is Rashford. I sort of believe he’d have found a way to turn James Wilson into a player, and even Will Keane, but I don’t see the likes of Pogba, Fellaini, Zlatan or Matic ever signing.

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
Tremendously hard to say but I will just have to guess our side:

de Gea
Rafael-Smalling-Jones-Baines
Zaha-Alcantara-Herrera-Di Maria
Kagawa
Rashford
Kagawa is a bit of a stretch, as is Rashford. I sort of believe he’d have found a way to turn James Wilson into a player, and even Will Keane, but I don’t see the likes of Pogba, Fellaini, Zlatan or Matic ever signing.
Agreed & he will win the league with them

youngrell

Fergie’s time would have arrived too, he’s an old man now. Football has developed exponentially since he left us, the level has increased a whole lot. Egos are much bigger, some players are actually bigger than the club - and you need the best to win. Agents have a bigger role, Fergie hated them. Social media, commercial activities, you name it. The older you get, the harder it is to accept changes - see Wenger.
One thing SAF was excellent at was moving with the times or even being ahead of them.

Do you think the difference between today's football and 2013 is bigger than the late 70s/early 80's and 2013?

Strange assessment.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Kane and Alli would be so playing for us
We would still have mctominay and carrick as our CM
We would have Ronaldo back by now

ValenciaRocks

I think Mane would definitely of been recruited. I remember reading somewhere of SAF’s admiration for him.

Pogba would definitely still be at Juventus (or possibly moved to Madrid).

Sanchez would of been acquired

Kante would of been a possibility as would Vardy

RVP
would of stayed longer as would Evra, Nani, Evans and Chicharito

Martial
would be at PSG

Giggs would be assistant manager

Approximately 5397 Wrigleys chewing gum would of been chewed

242 Hairdryers would of been used/broken

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think Rooney would still be here and he would be converted to a midfielder just like Scholes did. And we would be playing a 4-4-2 still with most of our matches and playing great football. Evans, Raphael, M Keane, Chicharito, Kagawa and Zaha would still be United players as well with Zaha being a main player in our first 11. Hard to say what other players SAF would have brought in, but Rashford would be playing as a striker with possibly someone like Kane as his strike partner. Kagawa would start in the tough matches where we opt for a 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1) and be a sub in the "easier" games when we are leading a match

--------------------------De Gea------------------------
Valencia---------Jones-----------Keane--------Shaw
Zaha-----------Rooney-------Carrick---------Sanchez
-----------------Rashford---Kane---------------------

Might not look great on paper, but SAF would have gotten the best out of these players. Of course, there would be a midfielder to take Carrick's place but it would likely be a young player who was never on our radar who would make his name at United...

Jaybomb

De Gea
Coleman Stones Evans Shaw
Di Maria Kroos Dier Pogba Zaha
Kane

All “Ferguson” players IMO.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Ferguson would have bought Kane, 100%, that too 2 years ago already. He loved his strikers and for good reason.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bit hard to say. It almost seems like Fergie new he was getting out at the right time. The squad Fergie left behind was getting old and a lot of people needed replacing. That was always going to be a struggle. Ofcourse the loss of identity would be much less dramatic, since Fergie had been there for a long time and has always had a very clear way of doing things.

It would have been better, but City would still be the financial power house they are now and the going would've been tough either way.

Still kinda wierd when you see Fergie in the stands that he doesn't work for United anymore.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
2013 there were loads of links to Ronaldo which died down when Fergie retired. Somewhat confident he'd have signed if Fergie didn't. Thiago was also moving clubs, fair chance he'd have joined as I think Fergie was a long time admirer. Same with Kroos, but he went the next summer. Not sure Fergie would've got 2 midfielders of that sort forcing him to play a 433 constantly since both of them need a defensive mid. Would have gotten Shaw for sure, probably Herrera, probably Bailly once he finally gave up 2 of evans/jones/Smalling being good enough. But back to 2013, I could say Thiago and Ronaldo happening and that's it for the most part.
13/14:
De gea
Rafael Evans Jones Evra
Kagawa Carrick Thiago
Valencia Van Persie Ronaldo
Young, cleverley, januzaj, zaha, Smalling, Ferdinand, vidic, welbeck, Hernandez, giggs all rotating.

Next season think he would've gave up on kagawa or shifted him around too much and he'd be a squad player. Valencia would rotate with Rafael or fully take over as right back. We would get Shaw and Herrera, then one of Sanchez or Di Maria (my money on Sanchez). Possibly both as Sir Alex seemed to like both for a while, but I doubt it. Kroos if we didn't get Thiago, but I think we would've gotten him so no Kroos. No idea for center back, they're all crocks but maybe they would've gotten by with what we had as it actually happened.
14/15:
De gea
Valencia Smalling Evans Shaw
Herrera Carrick Thiago
Sanchez Van Persie Ronaldo
Rafael, Jones, old vidic, evra, zaha, young, welbeck and Januzaj rotating (Hernandez probably leave to be first choice somewhere).

Next season, rashford definitely break through, good chance we would still go for martial as Sir Alex loves that type of player especially from a young guy, though it was a big fee. Schneiderlin possibly to be back up for Carrick. Some center back maybe, or maybe the same 4 as previous season. Probably look to replace Van Persie as the striker, but probably just rotate Martial, rashford/januzaj up top or on the wing while Ronaldo went top. Probably sign someone else in midfield as cleverley was shite.
15/16:
De gea
Valencia Jones Smalling Shaw
Herrera Carrick Thiago
Sanchez Ronaldo Januzaj
Rafael, evans, evra, zaha, Martial, rashford, lingard, welbeck rotating.

16/17: Maybe replace Carrick as a starter finally. But who knows, Fergie loved dragging it out sometimes. Bailly in. Not sure what else. Squad players would probably change up. Zaha probably not good enough, so he'd be cut IMO over 4 United youngsters in lingard, welbeck, januzaj and Rashford. Probably just would've turned Ronaldo into a striker full time, or develop martial/rashford there while Ronaldo and Sanchez score loads. We would be tried for Kane at some point, not sure if we would have managed though.

Basically, a lot of possibility in the first 2 seasons for Fergie to revamp our squad with players he loved, mainly Thiago or Kroos, Herrera, Sanchez and Ronaldo by summer 2014, refreshed left back with Shaw, nd RVP wouldve lasted longer (until 15/16 at least at a higher level then what he showed under Moyes or lvg). CB a problem, but he probably would have gone for Bailly in 16, then somebody earlier and by now none of Jones, Smalling or Evans would be starting. Saying all this though... Not many British players in the starting 11. After 15/16 since good chance of Carrick dropping out for somebody, and the center backs being replaced. Fergie loved his British cores.

Minimalist

Bale would have joined United, given the number 7, became a crock all the same and left after Ferguson smashed a bottle of red over him in post defeat anger.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bit hard to say. It almost seems like Fergie new he was getting out at the right time. The squad Fergie left behind was getting old and a lot of people needed replacing. That was always going to be a struggle. Ofcourse the loss of identity would be much less dramatic, since Fergie had been there for a long time and has always had a very clear way of doing things.

It would have been better, but City would still be the financial power house they are now and the going would've been tough either way.

Still kinda wierd when you see Fergie in the stands that he doesn't work for United anymore.
Really didn't need that much work when you think about it. Rafael/Valencia turning into a right back. Evra still decent, but buying Shaw to take over anyway. Carrick still quality. Van Persie still quality (he declined mainly because of SAF retiring IMO. Plenty of quality younger players like januzaj, rashford, lingard, to break through in the next years.

Needed a few signings, but there were loads of big transfers, many including players he loved in the next year or 2 after he retired. We would have done much better. Mainly I'm confident we'd have Ronaldo, Sanchez (long time admirer and almost joined us in 2011, would be came in 2014), and Thiago in 2013. Carrick and Thiago in midfield (with one more box to box probably), Ronaldo, Sanchez and van Persie in attack? Only 3 signings, but would've been amazing in 14/15 (van gaals first season where Van Persie still showed he had his quality on occasion).

el3mel

De Gea
Valencia - Jones - Smalling - Shaw
Zaha - Cleverely - ( new midfielder, will be forced this time! ) - Young
Rashford - Kane​

Bobski

One thing SAF was excellent at was moving with the times or even being ahead of them.

Do you think the difference between today's football and 2013 is bigger than the late 70s/early 80's and 2013?

Strange assessment.
Yes, the money in transfers and wages have gone to an insane level but has the actual game developed on pitch? Not so much in my opinion, we are 2 years removed from Leicester winning the league and the standard of the PL since Fergie retired has been pretty awful, top clubs all experiencing transition. This is the first season since then that you can see a marked improvement in performance, City raising the top level forcing others to respond.

Cyclical, PL was very strong from 06-11 with a peak in the middle, then a period of a lull when Spain dominated. Looks set now for a strong spell again.

Kapardin

Would have had at least another 2 PL trophies and 1 Champions League trophy
This. The man is a bigger wizard than Dumbledore, he can work miracles with average players. We simply cannot raise the bar that high for anyone else, so a drop off was inevitable.

We would have won the league during the Leicester title winning season by a huge margin for sure, in particular. Leicester should be thanking their stars he had retired by then.