g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What in the world are they spraying? (Spoiler: Nothing)

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
One of them tends to be relatively ineffective and is known to science. The other is super effective as mind control, creating long term droughts or extreme events such as hurricanes (depending on which youtube video convinced you).
I can't prove that the universe isn't ruled by a large invisible pink rabbit named Roger. However, in the absence of any evidence that it is I think it is safe to assume that it isn't.
Are your purposefully being obtuse or do you really not see the absurdity of claiming an illuminati type conspiracy is spraying mind control and drought causing chemicals in the air?
Scarecrows!

The thread title, and pretty much the whole conspiracy theory is "What in the world are they spraying?" It is not "We are all being brainwashed by a massive illuminati experiment and will all be exterminated." What in the world are we spraying is an expression of genuine concern from normal people who are suspicious about contrails and the lasting effect they have on the environment and public health. Because some individuals come across the theory and extrapolate it in their imaginations and invent some quite cool, but nevertheless fictional scenarios, should not invalidate the entire theory neither the sensible people who research the theory. [EDIT] It's like saying that Stephen Hawkins is a crack-pot because he believes in extraterrestrial life when so many other crack-pots believe in inter-gallactic federations, Grey's, Blues, etc etc etc.

@Wibble you quoted Carl Sagan, and I think @JustAFan parroted it soon afterwards. So I assume Carl Sagan is a man you hold in fairly high regard, much like the greater body of the scientific community. And much like the greater cosmological and astronomical community, Carl Sagan believes in technologically advanced intelligent extraterrestrial life. I am very curious to know what your thoughts are on the existence of technologically advanced intelligent extraterrestrial life? Because in the absence of any evidence, you know, as you said a few times already; "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Last time I looked at the sky, we had absolutely no evidence for the existence of technologically advanced intelligent extraterrestrial life. Yet Carl Sagan and many many other prominent scientists, mathematicians and academics are free to believe in technologically advanced intelligent extraterrestrial life without even having to look at one of @Wibble 's selfies in a tin hat?? I hardly think that's fair. Do you?

Last edited:

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
Carl Sagan didn't believe in any specific ET's though. If he made the leap to "And it's exactly this", we'd probably ask him to pass the joint.
Baffling. He believed in ET's. He believed that somewhere out there there were ET's who could possibly find his communications and respond, who could somehow play a record and simultaneously listen to and watch whatever they recorded, who could look at a plaque of a naked man and woman and understand what a human is.

The suggestion that not believing in a specific ET somehow means that he doesn't actually believe in any ET is really quite baffling. Is that what you're implying?

Silva

Baffling. He believed in ET's. He believed that somewhere out there there were ET's who could possibly find his communications and respond, who could somehow play a record and simultaneously listen to and watch whatever they recorded, who could look at a plaque of a naked man and woman and understand what a human is.

The suggestion that not believing in a specific ET somehow means that he doesn't actually believe in any ET is really quite baffling. Is that what you're implying?
The Jump in Sagan's reasoning "There's a good chance life also evolved in one of the billions or trillions of other planets" is smaller than specific conspiracy theories. If Sagan had posited that ET's exit on this planet or that planet and presented dubious evidence for it people would have laughed at him.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
This is a really bizarre comparison. Thinking there is a very high probability that life is not wholly confined to Earth, given the immensity of space and time, is quite a bit different to thinking there's an intergovernmental conspiracy with regards to the weather.

Silva

I'm also not quite sure Sagan ever believed that he would personally communicate with ETs. His approach was more of a best case scenario, might as well get on it with it and hope it pays off in a few thousand or million years, type thing.

Ubik

I'm also not quite sure Sagan ever believed that he would personally communicate with ETs. His approach was more of a best case scenario, might as well get on it with it, type thing.
Yeah, it was symbolic. It was highly likely to be the first man-made object to go interstellar. There's a non-zero chance that in tens or hundreds of millions, maybe billions of years it'll be detected by an intelligent civilisation.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
This is a really bizarre comparison. Thinking there is a very high probability that life is not wholly confined to Earth, given the immensity of space and time, is quite a bit different to thinking there's an intergovernmental conspiracy with regards to the weather.
I was just scrolling through some Sagan quotes and it seems he also said that so far Earth is the only planet that we know has life.

Whatever Sagan has said about life in the universe it does not have anything to do with proving the chemtrail conspiracy so it really is just the typical deflection of trying to make some sort of false equivalency.

Last edited:

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
I'm with Sagan, I suspect that statistically there will be other life in the universe and some of it will be technologically advanced. I'm also fairly certain however that had they taken a look at planet earth and seen the witterings of the likes of Pitchfork and Red Defence or wandered into the Brexit or Trump debates they'd have promptly decided to give us a very wide berth.

The great philosopher M.Python summed it up best:

"Our universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
In all of the directions it can whiz;
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"

JustAFan

buchansleftleg

This conspiracy is silly - It can't be right because the chemicals would just fall off the edge of the earth like peas falling off a plate held by a drunk man.

What would be the point - you would just be pouring chemicals off the edge of the world! #windinguptheflatearthers

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
What in the name of whomever has this got to do with contrails?
Aside from the loons in the comment section, I mean.
Chemtrails*

It has everything to do with it because what the scientists are suggesting doing in the article is exactly what proponents of the chemtrail conspiracy theory have been suggesting has already been taking place for years.

decorativeed

This conspiracy is silly - It can't be right because the chemicals would just fall off the edge of the earth like peas falling off a plate held by a drunk man.

What would be the point - you would just be pouring chemicals off the edge of the world! #windinguptheflatearthers
:lol:

Javi

Chemtrails*

It has everything to do with it because what the scientists are suggesting doing in the article is exactly what proponents of the chemtrail conspiracy theory have been suggesting has already been taking place for years.
Good, the already gathered know-how is going to save money.

Ubik

All right, I think our cover's blown lads. If only those bloody scientists hadn't spilled the beans by telling the world what they've already been doing for years.

Back to poisoning the drinking water it is.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Chemtrails*

Piss poor conspiracy if they are discussing in front of Express journos before the fact.

Plus it has nothing to do with plane contrails. They aren't even mentioned.

Wait. Tescos are removing toxic chemicals from clothes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-11-substances-greenpeace-detox-a7840956.html

Chemicals are part of the conspiracy theory so chemtrails must be a thing. Illuminati confirmed.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Chemtrails*

Wait, they're proposing to very secretly fire the sulphates into the air around all the world's aeroplanes' wings and tell all the aircraft designers, maintenance techs, pilots, airline execs and government agencies not to let anyone know?

Or are they in fact proposing a controlled program of climate engineering, up front, in the national press, that may or may not involve aircraft at all?

You must be baz's alt account or something, I'm not buying it.

Halftrack

Chemtrails*

Contrails* (notice how auto-correct flags one, but not the other? Conspiracy falls at the first hurdle.)

For all we know, they plan on going up in hot air balloons and throw out handfuls of the stuff. Or maybe they'll have the crew of the ISS sprinkle the stuff from above Sorry, forgot that NASA lied to us about space and the ISS and stuff.
Insanity is sanity in the world currently.
Insanity might be becoming the new norm, but it's still insanity.

JustAFan

Piss poor conspiracy if they are discussing in front of Express journos before the fact.

Plus it has nothing to do with plane contrails. They aren't even mentioned.

Wait. Tescos are removing toxic chemicals from clothes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-11-substances-greenpeace-detox-a7840956.html

Chemicals are part of the conspiracy theory so chemtrails must be a thing. Illuminati confirmed.
It's been a common practice is these threads to post articles that have NOTHING at all to do with the conspiracy.

JustAFan

Wait, they're proposing to very secretly fire the sulphates into the air around all the world's aeroplanes' wings and tell all the aircraft designers, maintenance techs, pilots, airline execs and government agencies not to let anyone know?

Or are they in fact proposing a controlled program of climate engineering, up front, in the national press, that may or may not involve aircraft at all?

You must be baz's alt account or something, I'm not buying it.
The thought process or lack their of, is that since some scientists are talking about how they have a theory on one way they might be able to temporarily slow global warming, that it somehow means that there really are programs secretly spraying stuff into the air that are controlling our minds, causing diseases, controlling the entire climate of this huge planet, etc. Sort of along the same line as they use cloud seeding as "proof" that something must be going on. The tin foil hatters see 2+2 and immediately think the answer is Potato.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
@Wibble you quoted Carl Sagan, and I think @JustAFan parroted it soon afterwards. So I assume Carl Sagan is a man you hold in fairly high regard, much like the greater body of the scientific community. And much like the greater cosmological and astronomical community, Carl Sagan believes in technologically advanced intelligent extraterrestrial life. I am very curious to know what your thoughts are on the existence of technologically advanced intelligent extraterrestrial life? Because in the absence of any evidence, you know, as you said a few times already; "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
Statistically and based on the likely ways that life arose on our planet I think it is close to a certainty that life will have arisen many many times across the billions of planets available. Once there is life I also suspect it is close to a certainty that intelligent life will evolve on a very small proportion of planets where life of any sort evolves but in far more than one place. Given that we have not encountered any yet I suspect that the spacial and temporal scales on which intelligent life evolve are such that we don't encounter each other. Possibly ever.

Now this is my hypothesis or it would be if I could test it. You can test it by setting a null hypothesis but this will produce meaningless data as rare aliens will produce the same outcome as no aliens. So it doesn't get above being a semi-educated guess at the moment. This may change in the future if we think of a suitable test or evidence falls into out lap.