What is the current view on Ryan Giggs?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Didn't the judge formally enter not guilty verdicts? I seem to have read both.
From the article:

Giggs had been charged with controlling and coercive behaviour, headbutting Greville, 10 years his junior, and assaulting her younger sister, Emma. The jury at Manchester Crown Court could not reach a verdict. Then, shortly before the retrial was due to begin last year, Greville wrote to the court to say she no longer wanted to give evidence because she felt “worn down” and “violated” by the judicial process.
And

The judge issued not-guilty verdicts on all the alleged offences. “The position is, he has always been innocent of these charges,” Chris Daw KC, representing Giggs, told the court. “Going forward, he now looks to rebuild his life and career as an innocent man.”

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was probably my favourite player for years growing up. Now he's just a scumbag who I cringe a bit seeing his highlights from the past

Woziak

Been a cnut in my mind since the sister-in-law shagging. Personal life or not, a vile thing to do.
Total CNUT, I actually used to know Rhodri quite well and he broke down once in front of me over this, I just didn’t know what to say but that day my respect for Ryan was lost, there are just somethings you never ever do or think of doing !

SER19

A football legend, and a united legend. Did some terrible things in his private life it seems but it's also bizarre that the most successful PL player ever is all but erased from a sport that celebrates and excuses cheaters, beaters, prostitute users, racists, drug users, homophobes, men with a secret family and you name it - every sort of immoral behaviour possible. But Giggs, there's been some private meeting somewhere that decided he's the worst for some reason.

Rockets Redglare

My favourite player growing up, absolutely loved him when I was old enough to support United in the early 90’s.

The thing about the affair with the sister in law that always got to me was the fact that Rhodri had always lived in his brothers shadow and Giggs still managed to take even more from him.

He is an incredibly shit human being, but that shouldn’t mean he should be completely whitewashed from the history of United or the Premier league.

Alex123

My favourite player ever! Absolutely fantastic with his pace and dribling in the 90´s and then reinventing himself as a brilliant CM and even winning player of the year at the age of 35.

Skill, winning mentality, passion and intelligence. He´s the kind of magical player that makes football so great to watch.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The sister-in-law stuff was absolutely scummy, but that came out back in 2011 I think, so it clearly didn't have that much impact on his standing within the game since he continued to play and later coach for the club, and have his name sung by fans.

As for the more recent allegations, he's been cleared of those.

So overall, he seems like a bit of a cnut, but I don't think he should be "unpersoned".

LInkash

A football legend, and a united legend. Did some terrible things in his private life it seems but it's also bizarre that the most successful PL player ever is all but erased from a sport that celebrates and excuses cheaters, beaters, prostitute users, racists, drug users, homophobes, men with a secret family and you name it - every sort of immoral behaviour possible. But Giggs, there's been some private meeting somewhere that decided he's the worst for some reason.
With all those other things, if a family member did it, it would be truly awful but I think there could be some eventual redemption, given time and lots of remorse shown by the perpertrator as those things are done by countless people who make a mistake, have a moment of madness and/or have had a messed up upbringing but having an affair with your brother's wife for nearly a decade, that takes a very special kind of evil and with the abuse allegations, which only got dropped because the victim pulled out because they were fed up, it really adds up to a truly abhorrent person that is beyond redemption. I absolutely loved Giggs as a player but I just can't see past his character.

tomaldinho1

Even without the is he guilty/not guilty of domestic abuse, the brother incident is so twisted it's clear he's not a good bloke.

Phenomenal player but a bellend.

Cessna

Terrible player
But, a gentleman and a scholar who's long overdue for knighthood if not sainthood.

Zen86

Even without the is he guilty/not guilty of domestic abuse, the brother incident is so twisted it's clear he's not a good bloke.

Phenomenal player but a bellend.
Obviously a bellend, but it’s interesting how he’s been almost erased from the history books despite plenty of other players (active included) being outed for complete twats as well.

KeanoMagicHat

His football career has become very underrated, probably a lot to do with stuff off the pitch. But he went from being a lock in all-time United XIs and Premier League XIs to rarely being in them and you'll get some terrible revisionist commentary about him not being that good or one of United's best players and was carried by good players around him etc.

DanH

Great player, one of my absolute favourites while growing up. A lot of my favourite memories as a United fan feature Giggs, including being lucky enough to see the FA cup goal live.

If he has done shitty things then he should deal with the consequences of them but I don't see how it impacting my memories of him and the pleasure it brought me to watch him play would benefit anyone.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
On one hand he's probably our greatest ever player, on the other hand I think he's a piece of s*** scumbag. I don't think about him much at all.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I had a pug called Giggsy once. I wouldn't call another dog that name now.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You know when you’re a kid, and Father Christmas is real, and the tooth fairy is real and you are able to enjoy the magic in the blissful ignorance of youth until you grow up and find out it was your parents all along?

Well, Giggsy is Santa Claus.

My absolute idol when I was a kid, an absolute club legend but now I’d rather not hear about him and forget he exists. I’m happy with my rose tinted memories. :(

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
What else have the '92 done (genuine question) I know there was Scholes toe sucking or something but the others??
You dont find Scholes biting off his daughters toenails and putting it on social media a bit weird?

Todd

Honestly not sure how to feel about Giggs anymore. On paper he's a United legend and a Premier League legend. He's also an adulterer, which is bad enough, and an alleged abuser of women, which if true is absolutely damning and should be enough to make his name taboo.

And, to be brutally honest, as men (I get the impression the majority of us fans are men) we should be willing to hold other men to a higher standard of behavior, and not excuse men of low character simply because they're world class footballers who play at our favorite club.

Rooney is my favorite United player of all time. But he's also a serial cheater, and that's not admirable. At best, you'd have to say he's a great footballer but a shitty husband. But at least with him it sounds like it was consensual.

Ronaldo is almost surely a rapist, and not enough of us are holding him accountable for that. He never should've been welcomed back to the club, and I'll never wear my Ronaldo jersey again.

So when it comes to Giggs, yeah, great footballer, but I'd rather he never be involved with the club again.

SER19

With all those other things, if a family member did it, it would be truly awful but I think there could be some eventual redemption, given time and lots of remorse shown by the perpertrator as those things are done by countless people who make a mistake, have a moment of madness and/or have had a messed up upbringing but having an affair with your brother's wife for nearly a decade, that takes a very special kind of evil and with the abuse allegations, which only got dropped because the victim pulled out because they were fed up, it really adds up to a truly abhorrent person that is beyond redemption. I absolutely loved Giggs as a player but I just can't see past his character.
I agree that it is awful, and it doesnt soften it much, but I do think the fact that Giggs went out with the woman first changes the context slightly. I think its a bit weird to marry the ex of your far more succesful, more handsome brother. Before anybody starts getting triggered, Im not defending what Giggs did, it is inexcusable, but the likelihood of something romantic/sexual happening, increases massively if youve been romantically/sexually involved before. Its a slightly different tilt to a wealthy guy stealing his brothers long loving wife out of the blue

SER19

Great player, one of my absolute favourites while growing up. A lot of my favourite memories as a United fan feature Giggs, including being lucky enough to see the FA cup goal live.

If he has done shitty things then he should deal with the consequences of them but I don't see how it impacting my memories of him and the pleasure it brought me to watch him play would benefit anyone.
I absolutely love watching highlights of the time giggs was in the team and at his best. Probably the most exciting player to every play for united in my lifetime, and the off pitch stuff doesnt change what im watching with my eyes in a sporting sense.

lex talionis

In defense of sinners it's often argued that none of us are saints, but Giggs crossed a serious line with his off-pitch behavior. I'm not sure there's much to be debate here. Leave him be.

Semigoodlookin

Clearly has no respect for women. The cheating stuff is awful on its own, but let's be honest, stuff like that happens. However, it is all the manipulation that he did that says more about him. He seems like a proper scheming narcissist and possibly even dangerous to women. Dead eyes too, and I have never been to tell if it is because he is thick as shit or is some sort of psycho.

As a player, a complete legend who is often overlooked or not fairly rated.