Gaming What is the greatest video game console of all time?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Has to be the PS2 right? That console changed gaming forever and still remains the best selling console ever. Revolutionary and iconic.

But do you agree? Sure the later consoles are more powerful and has more features than the PS2 but I don't think it impacted the gaming world as much as the Playstation 2 did. Or would you go back even more further and say the Super Nintendo or Dreamcast were better.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
TheNintendo Entertainment System because I have one (two). It has Mario. And it has Super Mario Bros 3.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Playstation One. But Im biased since PS 1 has so many great RPGs and the best Crash Bandicoots :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
More of a computer than a console, but the Amiga. The music it was able to generate was something else.

So many great games too. Super Cars 2, Moonstone, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, International Karate+, etc. It's a shame that there's no good emulator for Amiga and Amiga games. There have been a few attempts to make some kind of Amiga Classic/Mini thing, but unfortunately the Amiga rights ownership are all kinds of fecked up, so that's probably never happening. Make a SNES Classic-esque small Amiga, with a decent emulator inside it, some games and a couple of joysticks, and I'd buy it immediately. For almost any price.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
PS2 was great and quite revolutionary. The graphical capability of PS2 when it first came out blew my mind but I could never forgive what it did to Digimon World and Suikoden series where they were focusing more into improving the graphics but the overall gameplay and stories were total garbage.

Ainu

For me it has to be the OG PlayStation. Metal gear solid, Silent Hill 1, Resident Evil 1-3, Final Fantasy 7-9, Dino Crisis 1-2, Tekken 1-3, Tony Hawk 1-2, Driver, Tomb Raider etc. It's either that or the SNES I think. I've missed all of the Sega systems, I'm afraid.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
MSX. Just because it's the only console-like computer we ever had.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
PS1 for me, loved the megadrive back in the day as well. Likely have them as...

PS1
Megadrive
PS2

And then a massive gap to the rest.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
PS3 onwards is basically one generation. There really isn't those huge leaps in what the console can do, the games are the same just better.

PS2 for me

Jev

I think it's pretty unbelievable how much PS2 games looked like today's games. It's been evolution from then, while PS2 was a revolution. Gaming took a gigantic leap when it came out. Granted, I'm not old enough to take anything earlier than PS1 into account.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I've owned:

Atari Pong
C64
Sega Master System
Amiga
Sega Megadrive
PS1
N64
Xbox
Wii.

The Megadrive for most playability.
Between us as a family;

Atari
commodore vic20
Spectrum 128k
Amiga 1mb
Sega megadrive
Nintendo 64
Dreamcast
Philips CDI
PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Just bought Xbox Series X
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Switch

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
More of a computer than a console, but the Amiga. The music it was able to generate was something else.

So many great games too. Super Cars 2, Moonstone, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, International Karate+, etc. It's a shame that there's no good emulator for Amiga and Amiga games. There have been a few attempts to make some kind of Amiga Classic/Mini thing, but unfortunately the Amiga rights ownership are all kinds of fecked up, so that's probably never happening. Make a SNES Classic-esque small Amiga, with a decent emulator inside it, some games and a couple of joysticks, and I'd buy it immediately. For almost any price.
100% agree. You missed this one though …

The Amiga was such a leap forward at the time and some of my most revered games were on this machine.

Xenon 2
Silkworm
Lotus challenge
Speedball 2
Alien Breed
Super cars 2
Street Rod
Rick dangerous

The list could literally go on an on. I still have my machine too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sega Megadrive 2, Game Gear or N64.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I thought PS1 was the game changer, playing tomb raider actually running around a ‘free’ map with loads of buttons to use and those pyramid pointy tits.

isn’t that the biggest step in quality and actions?

DannyDee

Genesis/Mega Drive has the most nostalgia for me. PS2 and PS4 had incredible runs (with PS4's still somewhat going). A lot of the great PS2 games I loved eventually got ported over to X Box though (GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas were revolutionary, MGS II and III were also huge). I stopped gaming as hard as I got older, but the pandemic brought me right back. I have to say catching up on PS4 exclusives and other games I'd never played was a great time during a pretty terrible time overall. Enough to prompt me to buy a PS5 as quickly as I could get one that was sold at MSRP.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Leaning towards the SNES for local multiplayer shenanigans (Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart) and the PS1 for opening my eyes to unimaginable new single player experiences (FFVII, RE, MGS, GTA).

DannyDee

I thought PS1 was the game changer, playing tomb raider actually running around a ‘free’ map with loads of buttons to use and those pyramid pointy tits.

We will never see jumps like we did between generations like we used to. 16 bit to 32 bit was massive (alongside the jump to CDs for cutscenes) 3D was huge, but PS1 still didn't have it quite down for fluid of movement. Duel Shock 2 was really a game changer in allowing fluid 360 degree movement console wise. We are at the point of diminishing returns. I mean eventually well get to 8k 120fps consoles, but how much of the human eye will really notice the difference between that and 4k 60fps.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Probably yeah. Loved the ps1 and tomb raider was something else (although going back it, it play awfully).

Dan_F

Hard to define greatest. I’d put the PS3 over the PS4 despite obviously being a worse console. The online capability and jump in quality of games was huge from the PS2. Mad to think that GTA V was originally on the PS3.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'd say the PS1 for games and the PS2 for influence on the industry. It really took gaming to a whole new level of popularity. Crazy how much it sold.

Loved the Megadrive and N64 too.