g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming What is the greatest video game console of all time?

OleBoiii

The best consoles came out between the early 90's and very early 2000's: SNES, PS1, N64, PS2 and GameCube. All great!

Out of these, my favorite is N64. It may be the best multiplayer console of all time. Also: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

GameCube is the most underrated console.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The PS1 was great, but the PS2 was ps1+2, so by default it wins.
Nes & N64 deserve a mention as well.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
PS2 by a small margin. It coincided with a time when games were being thrust into the limelight as both fun and thoughtful, and the power and relative cheap cost of producing discs allowed developers to make a massive leap from the previous generation. There were so many great games, for all the fam.

I'd put the PS4 next because it's an extremely good console and could even be argued to have the best variation of all consoles.

It's a shame I guess what's happened to Sony since they got drunk off success :wenger:

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
PS2. To this day the greatest game i have ever played is Vice City.

el3mel

It's probably the PS2 era in general since it's the time gaming was going through revolutionary ideas and developers trying to introduce more and more creative ideas into their games' designs.

Bosws87

Original Playstation, was the birth of many games which would go on to be the core of gaming today, even some games that were on other platforms didn't really breakthrough till the playstation release.

Final Fantasy 7
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Gran Turismo
Silent Hill
Tony Hawks
Tomb Raider
Wipeout
Tekken
Medal of Honor

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Agree with PS2. The PS2/OG Xbox to PS3/Xbox 360 was my favourite era of gaming. I fell away from it after that.

I played my PS1 to death at the time too and loved it, but in retrospect I don't think it has aged well. The 32bit polygon games look horrendous now, whereas PS2/Xbox games have aged quite a lot better. Somehow those 32 bit games look even more aged than the 16bit sprites that came before it.

MiceOnMeth

I think it's pretty unbelievable how much PS2 games looked like today's games. It's been evolution from then, while PS2 was a revolution. Gaming took a gigantic leap when it came out. Granted, I'm not old enough to take anything earlier than PS1 into account.
Even today playing the games on an emulator upscaled to 4k they hold up very well. The Old smackdown games for ps2 look and play way better than the modern wwe games.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Personally, I loved SNES, PS1 and PS2 the most.

But I'd have to say PS1. The jump from 2d to 3d was a massive game-changer and since then, we've seen graphics improving but that's not as big as the switch from 2d to 3d.

Of course, it helped that it had such great games/began long term franchises such as Tekken, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Silent Hill, Resident Evil etc... And that's just from the top of my head!!!

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Personally, I loved SNES, PS1 and PS2 the most.

But I'd have to say PS1. The jump from 2d to 3d was a massive game-changer and since then, we've seen graphics improving but that's not as big as the switch from 2d to 3d.

Of course, it helped that it had such great games/began long term franchises such as Tekken, Gran Turismo, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Silent Hill, Resident Evil etc... And that's just from the top of my head!!!
Always like the Dino Crisis games too. There was also a game called Pandemonium which I loved as a kid.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The PS1 and N64 were bigger leaps forward than the PS2. The N64 nailed 3D right from the jump, changed multiplayer, and despite its short run it produced some of the greatest games ever. The PS2 improved on the foundation the PS1 laid, but it was just that: an improvement. It was not a sea change like its forebears.

I‘d have the 360 ahead of the PS2 as well, because of how it made online multiplayer a fundamental part of console gaming. And you could put the NES ahead of any of these were you so inclined.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Too many outstanding candidates to really choose. Even with my personal list of Gameboy, N64, PS1 and PS2 I have to concede there’s a good argument for the Wii, xb360 and many others probably. Feels like the quantity of good fun games has been steadily declining over the last 20 years though :(

Reiver

SNES is my all time favourite. I remember getting it on Christmas morning...might have been the happiest moment of my life.

The N64 also has a special place in my heart. Local multiplayer with your mates is so much better than online.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I remember my dad said he'll buy me and my brother a PS1 after we had done a month of chores and working in his shop.

So the day came, me and my brother woke up at 6am, ready to get that sweet sweet PS1 with Gran Turismo and Tekken from Electronics Boutique, which opened at 9.30.

It's 9am, we wake our dad up. He gets ready, we're about to leave and then he decides that he needs a shit. So he takes it.

We get to the store at 9.35 and we see this cnut buy the last console on the shelf. We were fecking fuming.

Our dad drove us to EVERY store that would potentially sell it. Nowhere to be found. Sold out.

I remember turning around to him on the drive home and saying "I hope that shit was worth it" and he retaliated with a slap to my face :lol:

Luckily it came back in store the following week!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Nintendo 64 for me but I only briefly had a PS2 ans can see why it’s so highly rated.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Snes for me. It was my first console, when my parents bought me one i was over the moon and my grades dropped like a lot hehe. No other console has had that effect on me ever

Red_toad

I wish I could say he PS5, but lack of games it dire. Only Resi Village that I've genuinely enjoyed playing, everything else has been meh and could have got it on the PS4. N64 is probably the best condole I've own, they're indestructible and had a vast array of game which at the time were the best around.

mu4c_20le

I think the jump from 16 bit to PSX was the most significant i've ever seen, so i'll choose that based on nostalgia, as well as a library of classics, like the first Gran Turismo, which got me into driving. That and Initial D.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
PS2 was incredible. I have more memories with that then I do the ps3

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
PlayStation 3, as I’ve had most fun with it. Granted, I was mostly playing RSV, COD, Resistance: Fall of Man, FIFA - all online - but it was so much fun back then. Metal Gear Solid 4 was also awesome as well.
Obviously all Uncharted games and the last of us to finish the era off.

choccy77

I loved my Sega Mega Drive plus the Japanese import games

PS 1 and 2 were great

Loved my gamecube as well

Havak

Pokemon master
I've always been slightly amazed by the PS2 and its sales numbers. However, when I look at the games library, I don't think it's all that memorable! Of course, it has your Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Shadow of the Colossus, Kingdom Hearts etc. But overall, I think a lot of other consoles, even other Sony machines, have a more vast collection of better games.

I feel like the PS2 sold so well for mainly two reasons:

1) The PS1 had such large audience that it became the default purchase.
2) It had a built in DVD Player and was still somehow actually cheaper than a lot of DVD Players at the time.

But still, I think PS2 is likely the answer because I'd imagine there is some kind of criteria list most people would use. Even if a few other consoles had a higher percentage of better games, the additional features, design and overall sales probably mean it trumps the others in most people's opinion.

Robertd0803

Id have to say the PS1 over PS2 just. Made gaming cool again and so many classic games that paved the way for tbe PS2. (Which was awesome in its own right so maybe nostalgia on my part)