Gaming What is the greatest video game console of all time?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
PS1 was largely Nintendo too.
They did all the hard work for Sony and they still fecked it up by allowing trash like Crash fecking Bandicoot and the Smackdown wrestling games into their library. Poor doesn't begin to cover it :mad:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The N64 has to be excluded on the basis that the controller was a disgrace.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It was shite. Had about 3 games getting released a year. It was nintendo becoming irrelevant and a first party only console.
The N64 has to be excluded on the basis that the controller was a disgrace.
Wow, not seen anyone be so wrong on the caf since people were asking for Ole to get more time at the wheel. Funny old world.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
PS1 it's easilly jailbroken and for once we have access to 1 dollar bootlegged game. Heaven

SNES was revolutionary fun in its time. So many memories.

PS2 same as PS1. Lots of good classice here

PS3 and PS4 was somehoe good but not that memorable for me. Probably because i didnt play too much since the game is expensive to boot.

NES and SEGA the good ol days

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
PS1 it's easilly jailbroken and for once we have access to 1 dollar bootlegged game. Heaven
PS1 piracy was a good racket to get into at the time. feck a paper round, I sold games out of my locker at school. Great times.

Our Electronics teacher used to chip Playstations so they could play pirated games too, he ran that operation right out of his classroom.

ForeverRed1

I love the Nintendo nes. Just takes me back to being a kid and thinking the graphics were incredible. I was the only kid on my street to have one and all the kids would come and play on it, hours of fun, back when consoles had more innocence about them, the most violence was duck hunt with the orange gun. Quality. Sega mega drive and master system also up there.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I brought my Sega Master System home from my parent's house this summer. Been playing Wonderboy in Monsterland the last couple of weeks. Lots of fun but really difficult and frustrating. How was I so good at these when I was young? :lol:

Anyway, it's not the best system but I like it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
It certainly deserves to be part of the conversation.
Not at all for me.
Outdated hardware when it came, lesser version of almost all shared games with other consoles. Even struggles with its own exclusives.
Has some good games, and the handheld+dock combo is really nice, but it's not near the top consoles in my opinion. Although if you rate the nintendo exclusives as the best games of all time I'd understand your point of view, although I'd disagree a lot with the opinion.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Not at all for me.
Outdated hardware when it came, lesser version of almost all shared games with other consoles. Even struggles with its own exclusives.
Has some good games, and the handheld+dock combo is really nice, but it's not near the top consoles in my opinion. Although if you rate the nintendo exclusives as the best games of all time I'd understand your point of view, although I'd disagree a lot with the opinion.
Agree with your points but it's interesting in the sense it's a proper games console with almost no fluff involved (or at least none at the forefront of the UI). Feels like a proper retro throwback in a way

b82REZ

Not at all for me.
That's why you need to be as objective as possible in these sorts of things.

Subjectivity will obviously come into it, but based solely on numbers of units sold it deserves to be in the conversation, same with the Wii.

SuperiorXI

PS1

Just got Duckstation setup on my PC, loving playing through all the classics in upscaled textures. Some cool settings in the emulator.

Eurotrash

I'm far from a console connoisseur, but I can't help but be impressed by the neat design of the Switch. Never encountered a bug in any game. The controls are not opitimal for games like Fifa, but thankfully you can use a ps4 controller together with 8bitdo adapter.

caid

I think the NES is the right answer to be honest.
I dont even like Nintendo that much but the quality control it brought to the industry was huge and such a gamechanger. The series it started are still going today. Most genres were kind of defined in that era. Beat em ups were such a wide and varied genre before Street Fighter showed up and kind of set the format in stone a bit. The Snes loses points for me by being too much of an inbetween console, didn't have as weird or wide a library as previous generations. I'd be more inclined to the Mega Drive if i was going to overlook the NES.
Think PS1 was playing with ideas it coudn't really pull off in most cases. Think the PS2 was much more polished version of it, just for the controller if nothing else. And thats the only console that gets within a mile of the NES.

largelyworried

Without doubt the PS1, the leap from 16 bit to 3D graphics was insane.
True at the time, but weirdly I would say that PS1 era games have aged the worst out of all the console generations, other then the pre-8 bit era ones. The 16-bit consoles look great today but un-emulated PS1 graphics are hard work.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
True at the time, but weirdly I would say that PS1 era games have aged the worst out of all the console generations, other then the pre-8 bit era ones. The 16-bit consoles look great today but un-emulated PS1 graphics are hard work.
Sprites definitely hold up better than early 3d.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I agree, those 32bit polygons look pretty ropey today, whereas 16bit sprites haven't really aged that much, as they weren't really trying to to be realistic anyway. Hard to believe I was blown away at the time playing FIFA 96 on the PS1. It looks awful now.

A lot of indie games still use sprite graphics, and they still look good.