What is the most delusional thing you have ever heard or said yourself?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Schneiderlin would be great player for us
Januzaj was destined to be top player
Da Silva twins will make RB and LB position their own for next 10 years.
Anderson will run the midfield
Johnstone > Romero

Well there are many.

Nick7

When he was at Celtic I thought Van Dijk would never make it in the premier league because he was too interested in attacking.

BigBebe

I still believe that Ravel Morrison is going to have a career and attitude turnaround and join Paul Pogba at the heart of our midfield and they will dominate the Champions League for years to come.

Josh 76

Schneiderlin would be great player for us
Januzaj was destined to be top player
Da Silva twins will make RB and LB position their own for next 10 years.
Anderson will run the midfield
Johnstone > Romero

Well there are many.
Fergie has built the best defence for Utd for the next 10 years.
Degea
Rafael. Smalling. Jones. Sliva .

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I expected Götze to be a better player than Neymar. Even though i still believe that Neymar is/was massively overhyped, Götze's career is just underwhelming.

Minimalist

Probably already been said but those posters who thought Mourinho had been waiting for the United job and would suddenly change his ways to be a more long term manager (and I assume not be a cnut).

vodrake

I thought Lucas Moura would me more likely to make it in Europe than Neymar...

This was back when it looked nailed on that Moura was coming to United though

AfroBuffalo

I said Lukaku was better than Kane & Bailly better than VVD at the start of this season

Valencia Shin Crosses

Personally: When Bailly came in and had those stellar first few months, I genuinely thought he was the best CB in the Prem. Still think he'll come good but I'll probably be wrong on that.

Otherwise: The people who thought Januzaj would work out for us even years after he had done anything of note on the pitch always baffled me. Definitely a player with a true cult following.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I thought Theo Hernández would evolve and would be a new Bale.
If I did not, I was about to place Asensio at the height of Mbappé.

Excited by the nickname among Madridistas (Nazario) I thought Mariano would score 20/25 goals this year. I said that among my friends, I did not have the courage to write it here.

In general I always underestimated Varane.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I once claimed that de Gea was a waste of money (forgivable) and Tim Krul was better than him (unforgivable)

RedDave0209

Made a bet with my mate at the end of last season saying Lukaku will win the golden boot and be on 25+ goals...

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
When we got taken over and won our first Prem title and first title since 1955 I told my Liverpool supporting friend we would get to 20 league titles before them. I was young dumb and deluded but I can still dream! :wenger:

NoPace

Thought the Iraq war would lead to less suffering than Saddam's regime. Thought iker Muniain was a nailed on future world class attacker and Oscar Torres was going to be the next Xavi/Iniesta level Spanish CM.

Sayan Roy

Supports
Manchester City
I was once convinced that Aguero would be the next Heskey in the PL. Boy was I wrong

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Liverpool going to win the league by 20 points.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
•Ronaldo is just another goalscorer
•Busquets is more important than Messi for Barcelona
•Kroos and Modric are as good as Xavi and Iniesta

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Delusional seems to be quite arbitrary item in language but from what I understand under it, a big portion of the replies in this thread were just unsuccessful predictions amplified by the power of hindsight more than delusion. Like people predicting Januzaj to become a great player (was guilty of that, too) had every reason to think so, given his impact in a sorry United team. The guy had such great footballing-brain on top of his technical ability already back then. Seriously don't know what happened. Like I said, I may be wrong about the way you Englishmen understand that as it's not my first language.

BurtSpangle

Delusional seems to be quite arbitrary item in language but from what I understand under it, a big portion of the replies in this thread were just unsuccessful predictions amplified by the power of hindsight more than delusion. Like people predicting Januzaj to become a great player (was guilty of that, too) had every reason to think so, given his impact in a sorry United team. The guy had such great footballing-brain on top of his technical ability already back then. Seriously don't know what happened. Like I said, I may be wrong about the way you Englishmen understand that as it's not my first language.
Januzaj still has plenty of time to become a great player. He's doing well at Sociedad when he's not injured, probably their best player.

I hear a lot of people on this site say Sanchez is finished. What a coincidence, the best player in the league suddenly becomes finished when he joins a team with poor attacking structures. That's delusion. Part of me wants him to leave and have success elsewhere to stick it to the bias fans who severely overrate the chuckle brothers (Rashford & Lingard).