What is the most memorable/iconic footballing moment of the 21st Century so far?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Thoughts? I'd probably go for Germany beating Brazil 7-1, and that period of the game up until they made it 5-0. Was astonishing to see Brazil being ripped apart like that in their own tournament.

Probably a few others that could quality...maybe a Messi moment or two considering his quality, some CL final conclusions, and the Zidane headbutt.

predator

Youth NITK
In no order

Leicester winning the premier league.

Emergence of the greatest footballer the world has ever seen (sorry Ronaldo fanboys)

Barcelona's dominance

Chelsea winning the champions league against Bayern, at the Allianz, under Di Matteo, was pretty extraordinary - especially given the way the game itself panned out.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
It has to be Leicester winning the league. As much as we like to think of football as competitive, the standings largely reflect the money spent/wealth. What Leicester did was incredible. And this was not a cup competition, not a one off game, but a long series of results defying a lot of odds.

In another 20 years, when looking at the teams who have won the PL, there will be a long list of the same teams over and over. Right in the middle of that, will be Leicester city. The outlier. The anamoly.

GazTheLegend

For me, it has to be when Barcelona beat Real Madrid 5-0.

There was a moment when Messi hit the bar with the most ridiculous skill I've ever seen and the buildup was impossibly good. I remember just thinking "how the hell could we cope with that?" for the rest of the season. Honestly - I wanted to believe that Alex Ferguson could come up with a plan, but even he was shell shocked by how good they really were when they beat us in the champions league final that year.

That for me was the best football I've ever seen played against one of the best sides in the world even at that time.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
For me, it has to be when Barcelona beat Real Madrid 5-0.

There was a moment when Messi hit the bar with the most ridiculous skill I've ever seen and the buildup was impossibly good. I remember just thinking "how the hell could we cope with that?" for the rest of the season. Honestly - I wanted to believe that Alex Ferguson could come up with a plan, but even he was shell shocked by how good they really were when they beat us in the champions league final that year.

That for me was the best football I've ever seen played against one of the best sides in the world even at that time.
True, probably the pinnacle of Pep's Barca side at their very best. Good shout.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Not sure we are sticking to iconic

It has to be @fontaine 's tears, surely?

Although everyone really remembers his mum

Decomposing In Paris

Honestly, it's probably the last time Zidane walked off a football pitch, past the world cup trophy, having made the most stupid mistake of his life. That moment will live with me the rest of my life.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The entire 92nd minute of the Watford vs Leicester Championship play-off semi final second leg in 2013 (I think).

Watched it over and over, pure Hollywood that was.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero

On a more serious note, it's the Zidane headbutt for me. World Cup 2006 was my first real introduction to football in terms of following the sport. I had no idea which teams were supposed to be dominant, which players to watch out for (except for Brazil/Ronaldinho), and couldn't appreciate any of the finer details of the game. That headbutt stood out to me, and I didn't even realize how significant of a player Zidane was until later on.

Another moment was when Fergie retired. For me personally, there was no other moment that epitomized the "life before, life after" concept than his departure. I didn't have the ability to follow the club and sport so closely then as I do now so it was sort of taken for granted then.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
for me was the day SAF waved goodbye.

fell a lot out of love with the game on that day.

Rory 7

Keano leaving Saipan, thus ending Ireland's chances of winning the 2002 World Cup.*

*might I add he was sent home, he didn't just decide to leave.

Theonas

Scout
Brazil 1/7 Germany will take some beating. When we consider that it was a WC semi in Brazil, it really was one of those "where were you" moments. The shout for Barcelona's 5/0 win over Real is a good one and I think with time, they will come to be referred as THE performance of maybe the greatest side of all time.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Honestly, it's probably the last time Zidane walked off a football pitch, past the world cup trophy, having made the most stupid mistake of his life. That moment will live with me the rest of my life.
It was art though, what a way to depart! He'd been tremendous at that tournament, easily the best player involved in the later stages - even won a golden ball.

Headbutting Materazzi, then walking past the World Cup he'd once held as a winner, down the tunnel, never to be seen again. Pure poetry.

...I bet he wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It was art though, what a way to depart! He'd been tremendous at that tournament, easily the best player involved in the later stages - even won a golden glove.

Headbutting Materazzi, then walking past the World Cup he'd once held as a winner, down the tunnel, never to be seen again. Pure poetry.

...I bet he wouldn't change a thing.
Suppose the fact he'd won it in 98 already softened the blow a fair bit too.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
This is largely subjective and depends on the team you support. Personally, I went insane out of shear ecstasy when Barca won the CL in 2006. One of my favourite moments ever.

The CL wins in 2009, 2011 and 2015 were also special, but I never felt like we were losing any of these games. In 2006 we were 1-0 down and up against Arsenal's in incredible defence who didn't concede a single goal in the knockout stages.

From an unbiased perspective, Zidane walking past the World Cup trophy is probably the most iconic moment and Germany trashing Brazil was probably the most iconic match.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
If Messi didn't unretire from the NT, him skying the penalty against Chile in the Copa America final would surely be up there.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Zidane's headbutt was the first memorable thing to come to mind for me.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
My jaw has never hit the ground like when Brazil were getting thumped 5-0 by Germany at half time. Zidane's head butt comes close though.

surf

The paper plane that hit the Peruvian player at Wembley. It's even on youtube. Was sitting close by and got to watch the whole thing.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Wikipedia said:
In a remarkable comeback from injury that had threatened his career, Ronaldo led Brazil to their record fifth World Cup triumph in 2002 when he won the Golden Shoe as top scorer with eight goals, and was runner-up to the Golden Ball as most valuable player in the tournament.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just was about to post Ronaldo's redemption in 2002

Mitser

Terry's pen.

Although Gerrard 'this doesn't slip now' pep talk is up there too.

BarcaSpurs

Barcelona's 'Manita' against Real Madrid in 2011 is up there too, in 20 years time when a new generation ask about 'THAT barcelona team' that performance will be the one shown to illustrate how absolutely brilliant they were.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Good picture. Although I think it'd mean even more if he hadn't won it in 1998.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I don't really think Zidane walking past the cup can be topped if we're talking about an iconic/memorable moment.
Not sure about 2nd place but probably Ronaldo Fenômeno crowning his incredible comeback by scoring in the world cup final against Germany from a mistake made by an almost unbeatable Kahn who had carried his team to the final.