Music What is your favorite musical artist, why and give many examples of favorite songs by said artist

matbezlima

Personally, my favorite artist is Frank Sinatra. And even though I think that Sinatra remains a huge iconic figure that everybody knows in the United States (probably almost on par with Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley there), the perception of his work, artistry and career in popular consciouness is very distorted due to his voice hugely declining from the 60s onwards, embarrassing recordings trying to appeal to the rock generation and the fact that songs like New, New York, My Way and Strangers In The Night, easily his most famous ones, are far from represent his voice and style when he was at his vocal and artistical prime in the 50s.

They often are very misleading in a negative way and (besides New York, New York because it's too fun and cool to resist) I have come to really resent My Way, Strangers In The Night and also almost even the entire rock'n roll revolution sometimes for making the Great American Songbook, standards of american popular of the first half of the 20th century mostly composed for Broadway or movie musicals, suddenly made so many fantastic artists, singers and songwriters suddenly fall terribly out of fashion because of the HUGE cultural revolution and shift in target public from adults to teens and also in cultural values that society experimented in the 60s and continues ever since, making pre-rock music deeply "uncool" for the new generations. Don't get me wrong, I love The Beatles and there is plenty of great rock music, I just wish that rock hadn't popularized in almost total detractment of a whole half century of fantastic and sophisticated musical legacy in american popular music!

These are songs from Sinatra's greatest masterpiece of sad ballads, the album "In The Wee Small Hours" from 1955. This is Sinatra's all time vocal and artistical peak, total beauty and ART! Sinatra was a master of emotion in his singing, probably the ultimate interpreter of the standard of the Great American Songbook or at least near the top! The peak of a passionate and perfectionist artist and music lover who significantly matured in emotional depth after his doomed relationship with Ava Gardner. This is an album of personal emotional expression, Sinatra's soul is open here in sadness of break-up and his voice never sounded more beautiful. Probably the first concept album in history too. With all the songs being slow and sad ballads about break-ups, it's no wonder that the songs here didn't make the charts. This album was truly a personal, ambitious and artistical work by Sinatra, showing the full potential of the album as an art form!

Now, let's flip the switch: songs for his greatest album masterpiece of swing, "Songs For Swingin' Lovers!" from 1956. The joy is so irresistible and Sinatra's voice sounds like butter! This is the album that always make me smile, so catchy, unpretentious and happy. Probably the pinnacle of swing.

matbezlima

I'm making my third and final post in this page to finish my declaration of love for Sinatra's music! Below, there are five great Sinatra recordings from his underrated period at Columbia in the 40s:

And, I would like specially the Liverpool's fans here to comment about this part, Sinatra's recording in the 40s of You'll Never Walk Alone!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fleet Foxes.

Till my mid 20s, my musical interest mostly revolved around the rock genre of the 60s to 90s. But I eventually discovered artists such as Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Joanna Newsom etc and it has a huge impact on me. The richness of their sound, the crispness of the vocals and the sheer beauty of the music, comes to mind, but really, it's impossible for me define. Helplessness Blues remains my all time favourite album and is a musical triumph for the ages.

Favourite tracks of theirs would be.

Montezuma
Mykonos (and others from the first album)
Grown Ocean
Third of May
I'm All that I need/Arroyo Seco/Thumbprint Scar
He doesn't know why

BootsyCollins

My favorite artist is Nate Dogg.

Not that i think he is the greatest singer of all time, or think he makes the best music, but for many other reasons.
He was the soundtrack of my life when i started really discovering music in a deeper way sort of. The first artist i really understood that i like if that makes any sence.
He is the reason i like the kind of music i like today, as he kind of was the bridge between gangsta rap and singing. I am a huge fan of singing over rap beats and i guess its because of him.

His music also spoke to me in a way that other artist could not, even if i enjoyed their music. F.ex Snoop, Dre, Kurupt, Daz ect ect was rapping about things i could not really relate to, but Nate sung about things that had a much clearer connection to my own life at the time.

He is the only celeberty ive shed tears over when dying, and i still get emotional to this day whenever i hear his voice.

His two best features :

His two best solos :

Three "hidden gems"

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
David Gilmore of Pink Floyd. Brilliant guitarist and fantastic voice.

Best song, wish you were here.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
My favourite song from my favourite album. There is something about it, not sure what, but the album grows on me with every listen. And there's been a lot of listens at this stage.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I am not shamed to admit that my favourite songs from my favourite artists are:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I've got a few favourites but Radiohead are right up there. I could list about 50 songs but łove these most:

Amarsdd

I've got a few favourites but Radiohead are right up there. I could list about 50 songs but łove these most:
This! No other artist has had a bigger effect on me than Radiohead. I could add almost their complete discography here but a couple of my favorites for now
esp. the piano version from the OKNOTOK cassette

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
This! No other artist has had a bigger effect on me than Radiohead. I could add almost their complete discography here but a couple of my favorites for now
esp. the piano version from the OKNOTOK cassette

Great choices. I could easily have chosen any one of those.