What kind of hamstring injury does Luke Shaw have?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s only ever averaged 20+ league starts three times in his 9 year career (two for Saints, once for us). He’s only ever managed 30+ once, and that was in his second season of football at 18.

I don’t think he’ll ever do either again.

TheRedHearted

I believe Telles is back in training now. What we don't know is how much impact having Covid had on him. Particularly with him already not really playing this season, his match fitness (perhaps even general fitness) will probably be a fair bit behind.
He was in the squad at Goodison Park last Saturday, should be playing at U23 to gain a full match sharpness.
He was back training in the squad ahead of Everton game but mustn’t have been fit enough. Hoping two more weeks of training and he’ll be fit come West Brom.
thanks guys. That all seems very promising
id like to know from shaw's injury history if he picks up a lot of soft tissue injuries? wouldnt be surprised if that was the case.
What do soft tissue injuries Telegraph? To me his posture used to be worse with hunch shoulders. Looks quite good now. Any extra weight pits strain on the knees though.
Imo he should try his best to reduce his upper body weight. Having a heavy upper body won't do your knees, your legs muscles or your ankles any good. Especially when your job is sprinting up and down the line.
Yep. What is it- an extra pound of weight adds three or four times as much pressure to the knees?
Tight hips- pain goes to knees snd then hamstring over compensates.

has the club not address his weight? Wouldn’t that be in part of a fitness plan

Judas

Open to offers
He’s only ever averaged 20+ league starts three times in his 9 year career (two for Saints, once for us). He’s only ever managed 30+ once, and that was in his second season of football at 18.

I don’t think he’ll ever do either again.
Seems doubtful at this point. Can't believe he's 25 now, time flies. Be it bad luck or whatever, his body certainly doesn't seem to be getting any stronger.

Of course the circumstances aren't helping with these sort of injuries, but Shaw going down with one was bound to happen.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Does he? Williams looks like a decent backup option to both AWB and Shaw, he's certainly nowhere near as good as either. And considering we've signed another LB in Telles - that shows how much Williams is rated for LB here. Arguably 2nd choice RB with TFM and a solid 3rd choice LB behind Shaw and Telles.

Think we are over hyping Williams a lot. The kids got a good attitude, he works his arse off but unfortunately he's just not that good. He's miles behind AWB, Shaw and Telles. He's offered nothing in an attacking sense for me and is much less of a player than the starters.

There's this myth that AWB is a good defender too - he's not. He's excellent in the tackle but he's almost always out of position from set plays etc. Shaws actually competent at both - as he has played LB and looked assured in the LCB role in a back 3. Shaws extremely underrated by our fans

If fans are excited about Williams then it shows how far we have fallen. Shaws position will be rotated with Telles - Williams is firmly 3rd choice LB and clearly not as good as people are hyping him up to be.
Williams did show quite a bit of promise when he first got into the side, both in an attacking and defensive sense. Obviously he dropped away quite significantly as last season wore on though. It will be up to him to show whether that early run of good form was just a lucky period or if it is something that he can build on going forward. I admit I'm not particularly hopeful about it, but I think you're being a bit harsh completely writing him off.

Strelok

thanks guys. That all seems very promising

What do soft tissue injuries Telegraph? To me his posture used to be worse with hunch shoulders. Looks quite good now. Any extra weight pits strain on the knees though.

Yep. What is it- an extra pound of weight adds three or four times as much pressure to the knees?
Tight hips- pain goes to knees snd then hamstring over compensates.

has the club not address his weight? Wouldn’t that be in part of a fitness plan
I don't know. Last year I injured my knees just because I was running carrying my kid. The doctor then explained that to me but I can't remember the details.

spiriticon

I hope when he gets back he doesn't play like an arse for another year before hitting his next purple patch again

Zlatattack

I believe his current injury is due to too much Ham and cheese strings.

Sometimes you look at him next to other players on the pitch and you'd think someone from Soccer Aid had made it into the team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I never saw the hype with Shaw with his performances before his leg break.

I think his performances this season has been better than that.

It gives me hope than players like Telles has helped him adapt his game and that he can just come back from an injury and get back in to a similair form after a couple of games.

Strelok

Oh it seems my post made people think it's totally on Shaw's fault that he's injured.

It's not like that. I still remember the doctor told me that for most people having a bit heavy upper body is just fine. But for some people like me, which naturally don't have a strong knee it's advised to reduce your upper body weight. Especially if you're playing a sport or doing a job that involves sprinting.

Imo he's probably in that case, the ones who weren't born with a strong knee. Or ligament or muscle or whatever. That's why he's a bit injury prone. And truth is he's a bit large I think. So my advice for him is to reduce his upper body weight as much as possible.

Bwuk

I'd hope Telles comes in and that's it for Shaw at United.

He can't be relied upon. Injured or unavailable far too often.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Oh it seems my post made people think it's totally on Shaw's fault that he's injured.

It's not like that. I still remember the doctor told me that for most people having a bit heavy upper body is just fine. But for some people like me, which naturally don't have a strong knee it's advised to reduce your upper body weight. Especially if you're playing a sport or doing a job that involves sprinting.

Imo he's probably in that case, the ones who weren't born with a strong knee. Or ligament or muscle or whatever. That's why he's a bit injury prone. And truth is he's a bit large I think. So my advice for him is to reduce his upper body weight as much as possible.
How do you reduce upper body weight? You just don't lift up there? Because then you're left with fat and everyone knows you can't spot reduce fat

Zlatattack

Still with the fat jokes?
Well yes. He's not as fat as me, but he is for a premier league footballer. He was trim a while ago but since the break he's appearing a little chunky. If he's injury prone, he needs to get really lean and stay that way. It'll help.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Does he? Williams looks like a decent backup option to both AWB and Shaw, he's certainly nowhere near as good as either. And considering we've signed another LB in Telles - that shows how much Williams is rated for LB here. Arguably 2nd choice RB with TFM and a solid 3rd choice LB behind Shaw and Telles.

Think we are over hyping Williams a lot. The kids got a good attitude, he works his arse off but unfortunately he's just not that good. He's miles behind AWB, Shaw and Telles. He's offered nothing in an attacking sense for me and is much less of a player than the starters.

There's this myth that AWB is a good defender too - he's not. He's excellent in the tackle but he's almost always out of position from set plays etc. Shaws actually competent at both - as he has played LB and looked assured in the LCB role in a back 3. Shaws extremely underrated by our fans

If fans are excited about Williams then it shows how far we have fallen. Shaws position will be rotated with Telles - Williams is firmly 3rd choice LB and clearly not as good as people are hyping him up to be.
Well if you insist on quoting stuff I said 12 months ago, it's easy to score points. Of course Williams is behind both Telles and Shaw.

Tel074

What on earth are you smoking?

We signed Telles, a LB to rotate/compete with Shaw who is firmly our 1st choice LB.

Why would we give Williams a run of games when he is nowhere near as good as Shaw? He's not a proper LB and just dis balances the team with his lack of width on the left.

Adding Williams to our LB makes our back 4 weaker. your argument is garbage
Check when that was posted we didn't even have telles then haaha

Last edited:

Strelok

How do you reduce upper body weight? You just don't lift up there? Because then you're left with fat and everyone knows you can't spot reduce fat
Tbh I've no idea. I'm no diet expert you know.

My doctor told me to eat less fat, sugar, cheese, ham, chocolate etc. More fruit, vegetables. And swim, do some yoga if possible. That's for a common dude like me, for a professional athlete like Shaw it'd be much more complicated I think. But we should have that kind of expert at our club?

P/s: I managed to get down a few pounds. My body was thinner. The secret was just eat less, a lot. Don't eat unless you really have to. After a while I got used to eat much less than I was. I'm lazy I don't exercise much.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

Williams did show quite a bit of promise when he first got into the side, both in an attacking and defensive sense. Obviously he dropped away quite significantly as last season wore on though. It will be up to him to show whether that early run of good form was just a lucky period or if it is something that he can build on going forward. I admit I'm not particularly hopeful about it, but I think you're being a bit harsh completely writing him off.
I'm not completely writing him off - Williams is exactly where he should be - a squad player. He'll never be our regular starting LB - thats obvious

pacifictheme

Exactly one year on and yet another hamstring injury. Like clockwork.

Only played 103 of 235 PL games since joining 6 years ago. Compare that to AWB who has played 41 of 45 games in just over a year.
Damming. I have high hopes for Telles.

lee82gx

The kind that he gets written in his contract to get every season?

RedDevil@84

A normal club would have sent him away, but we will probably give him a new contract next year.