What kind of ownership would impact your fandom or make you lose interest in the club?

SinNombre

Can a kind mod put this up as a poll?

Options
  1. Smart Evil (the likes of the Koch brothers or Peter Thiel etc)
  2. Chaotic Evil (Musk)
  3. Pure Evil (MBS, North Korea's Kims)
  4. Blood money (Abramovich or others who benefited from the fall of nations or civil wars)
  5. Sportswashing emirates (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Qatar)
  6. American Corporations (Apple or Amazon or Sky/Comcast)
  7. Chinese Corporations (Tencent, TikTok)
  8. Capitalists (PE ownership)
  9. Asian billionaires (Ambani etc)

Personally, my interest in United would decrease dramatically for the first 3 options.

Mwooyo

Actually, the coach determines alot about how fans judge the owners. When poch was at totenham, there was less hate for daniel levy. Same thing with us and ferguson. With ETH...the owners dont matter much as long as they are rich, clear the debt, fix OT and facilities and absolutely back him in the market....and believe me, y'all will still watch manutd. As long as we are entertaining little else matters....but if we are boring, even if we have all the money in the world, protests against the owners will erupt

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

While I don't give a feck about morals of the owners in world of ultra rich assholes, someone like Musk are just mad and will destroy the club and I mean literally.

SAFMUTD

As long as performances and results are good I dont give a feck about the owners.

Tyrion

1. Smart Evil - I'd hate them and be less enthusiastic about United.
  2. Chaotic Evil - He's mental but so what?
  3. Pure Evil - I'd find it difficult to keep supporting the club. Force of habit would probably make me but I'd care much less
  4. Blood money - Same as above
  5. Sportswashing emirates - Same as above
  6. American Corporations - I wouldn't care
  7. Chinese Corporations - I'd be suspicious of their governments involvement but otherwise wouldn't care
  8. Capitalists - I'd like a smart owner so it depends on whether they're bleeding the club with debt or not. I'd like an owner like FSG
  9. Asian billionaires - I don't care about their nationality as long as they aren't involved with governments

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
If Israel were to take over, I'm done.

Even if they turn old Trafford into a fortress like their iron dome, I'm out

Castia

None I’ll love United no matter what.

Bring on the oil money

Pickle85

It’s a tough one. I suspect I won’t really know until it happens and then it’ll be too late.
This is how I see it at the moment. Tough to switch off a lifelong allegiance but I think the shine and romance of the club will definitely be taken off for me.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'll always love the club and I don't think anything going to change that.

Jev

It's hard to predict how you'd feel until it happens. My suspicion is that the top-5 would severely impact my investment. I'm not gonna make my own statement boycott but I could imagine me slowly losing interest and it eventually dying out. Which saddens me a great deal.

Lost bear

Can a kind mod put this up as a poll?

Options
  1. Smart Evil (the likes of the Koch brothers or Peter Thiel etc)
  2. Chaotic Evil (Musk)
  3. Pure Evil (MBS, North Korea's Kims)
  4. Blood money (Abramovich or others who benefited from the fall of nations or civil wars)
  5. Sportswashing emirates (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Qatar)
  6. American Corporations (Apple or Amazon or Sky/Comcast)
  7. Chinese Corporations (Tencent, TikTok)
  8. Capitalists (PE ownership)
  9. Asian billionaires (Ambani etc)

Personally, my interest in United would decrease dramatically for the first 3 options.
I think I’d have to draw the line at certain members of the present Tory government. If Jacob Rees Mogg owned Utd, I’d be forced to consider betraying my longstanding allegiance to the club. Your options are mostly shit, of course, but it’s a mostly shit historical conjuncture. I live in it.

Wheato

We've had the Glazers leaching money from our club for 17 years. Could anyone else possibly be worse?

AndersB

We'll see how it pans out, but sportwashing state ownership likely kills my ability to truly love and follow the club after these 30 years, which is really sad

Cloud7

This has been quite a mental journey for me. As my posts in the initial thread where we were linked to Saudi Arabia (Pre Newcastle takeover) will attest to, for quite some time I was completely against any sort of state backed investment of that sort.

However, time has passed by since then, and a lot of things have happened in my life. For me personally, life is hard enough without having to take on more burdens than I already am required to. Football for me is a form of escapism, where I can tune in to the football and hopefully enjoy it, then come rant about it here after. While it might not be the most objectively moral standpoint to take up, and I recognize that, I am at the point where that is enough for me, regardless of who is the entity providing it.

croadyman

This is how I see it at the moment. Tough to switch off a lifelong allegiance but I think the shine and romance of the club will definitely be taken off for me.
Think these FFP regulations will see spending is much more restricted,therefore it won't be just like a real life FM cheat code

pacifictheme

Actually, the coach determines alot about how fans judge the owners. When poch was at totenham, there was less hate for daniel levy. Same thing with us and ferguson. With ETH...the owners dont matter much as long as they are rich, clear the debt, fix OT and facilities and absolutely back him in the market....and believe me, y'all will still watch manutd. As long as we are entertaining little else matters....but if we are boring, even if we have all the money in the world, protests against the owners will erupt
I guess FC United of Manchester was just a fever dream.

Tarrou

It’s gonna be Qatar isn’t it?

I reckon a lot of us will slowly care less over time

yes it’s exciting that we might buy some amazing players and get a shiny new stadium

but over the years the novelty will wear off and start to feel a bit soulless, I reckon

And that isn’t solely because we’ll be owned by a state but also the general direction the game is already going, where the money is insane and the players are becoming less and less relatable to us fans

What I would love is if the connection between Qatar and United actually helped move the country and human rights record forward - the spotlight will be on them, so here’s hoping

Having spent a month there for the World Cup I found the people quite lovely to speak with.. but the lack of any real participation from local women in society was very jarring.. and for immigrants it’s not much of a life at all there

Valencia Shin Crosses

yes it’s exciting that we might buy some amazing players and get a shiny new stadium

but over the years the novelty will wear off and start to feel a bit soulless, I reckon

And that isn’t solely because we’ll be owned by a state but also the general direction the game is already going, where the money is insane and the players are becoming less and less relatable to us fans

What I would love is if the connection between Qatar and United actually helped move the country and human rights record forward - the spotlight will be on them, so here’s hoping

Having spent a month there for the World Cup I found the people quite lovely to speak with.. but the lack of any real participation from local women in society was very jarring.. and for immigrants it’s not much of a life at all there
Quite frankly I love watching good football because I appreciate the sport, not because I feel some similarity to a fecking winger on a team. Do I want us to try and fully just buy every single huge name player for no real reason? Of course not, as I don't think that would be a good strategy anyways and I don't think that's the way we'll go anyways. But the club deserves to be brought back to glory, and if the new owners help in this then there won't be any shine taken away.,

Sviken

I guess if Avram's long lost brother Jimmy somehow acquired the club, then that's it for me. But otherwise - no. I can't think of anything worse than what we had for the past two decades.

NK86

While I don't give a feck about morals of the owners in world of ultra rich assholes, someone like Musk are just mad and will destroy the club and I mean literally.
The question is not about whether we give a feck about the owner/club, it's whether our support for the club will dwindle depending on the owner.

cyril C

How about #10 Souness, or other ex-Liverpool player turned pundit?

Abdullah7

I share the same tripe with Qataris royal family and love United for more than 20 years. I've never felt more connected to the club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The owners don't define the club and are not the club. Just some rich ass temporarily in control of the club, but that's it.

Reyoji-Utd

If we look deeper into our daily decisions/actions, are we all really that clean? Do we really saying anything or doing anything when America and its allies waging war, giving money, weapons to support the said totalitairian/authoritairian regimes, causing chaos to the world, we are run by capitalist and rich people to an extend because most government are under more or less of their influences.

Subconciously/deep down most of us are affected by our upbringing, cultures, traditions...ect we should not try to force our values into others. Its not that easy to change the whole countries values because its what makes the world interesting. Let them change organically and help them if we can.

Dont take everything in wholesome but rather separate into its own section.

Football is football and if we dont like the owner values then dont support the owner but support the club.

croadyman

I know what the views of women are in Qatar so hope I'm wrong about the ladies team being pushed to the side. Marc has made some real progress this season and we are providing a real challenge to Chelsea.

Yes these Qatari investors haven't talked much about Erik so far,however if the guy fronting this bid is such a big Utd fan he won't want to get rid of our best manager in a decade.

Tarrou

I know what the views of women are in Qatar so hope I'm wrong about the ladies team being pushed to the side. Marc has made some real progress this season and we are providing a real challenge to Chelsea.

Yes these Qatari investors haven't talked much about Erik so far,however if the guy fronting this bid is such a big Utd fan he won't want to get rid of our best manager in a decade.
I don't see any reason for them to push the ladies team to the side

that would be a momentally bad PR move, and that's kinda the whole point in them buying us

JohnnyLaw

I don't see any reason for them to push the ladies team to the side

that would be a momentally bad PR move, and that's kinda the whole point in them buying us
Yeah, highly improbable. LGBT rights are non-existant in UAE, that doesn’t stop rainbow colors being proudly displayed and utilised in the Etihad and City PR-exercises.

meamth

If the owners genuinely takes care of the club, cleanse all the debts, and build state of the art projects for Man United.

Who cares?