What kind of ownership would impact your fandom or make you lose interest in the club?

Fully Fledged

I've hated the owners since the Glazers came in but I still love United as much as ever.

While I would like ownership that I could be proud of its not going to change my opinion of the club if our owners are a toxic mess.

adnando

You're the only one in this topic who brought up Jamal incident (I assumed, if I misunderstood it then apologies) out of nowhere, mate. Not me, not the guy you were quoting, not even OP mentioned Investment groups from Saudi Arabia.
I did bring up the Jamal murder, I don't feel it's out of nowhere but we'll agree to disagree. I'm not sure why I cannot bring that up without being accused of racism. It's a slippery slope to say that since Cantona kicked a fan we should accept whatever our new potential owners do outside the club, which is the heart of the discussion I wanted to start.

All I'm trying to do is to find out where people draw their lines, it's an online forum, not a debate, I don't really care if people disagree with me and I won't try to make them agree, but I will question their opinions as they should question mine.

And, you shouldn't go around accusing people of such serious matters as racism with such ease, it's unfair to both the accused and the people who suffer from actual racism. Throwing around accusations of racism like that only dilutes the important discussions of racism.

Reactions: oates

Fahad Jawaid

Nothing would do it for me. I am strongly against Israel for their atrocities against Palentine but we have owners who are in bed in Israel and support them publicly, but It has not effected my love for manutd.

My thought process is simple, I can differentiate the public side and ownership side. I gauge glazers by how they have managed Utd.

I dislike them because of how they acquired the club and we have to pay interest on the loan they took to buy the club. How they have keep taking out dividends but never invest in the infrastructure of the club and how they put their frontman Ed Woodward as the CEO, who had no prior experience of running a football club and made us a laughing stalk of the football world.

I just want an owner who will think of manutd as a fan and love the club and put their own money in the team, infrastructure and make manutd the best team in the world again.

DickDastardly

I've hated the owners since the Glazers came in but I still love United as much as ever.

While I would like ownership that I could be proud of its not going to change my opinion of the club if our owners are a toxic mess.
Yeah, who's that?

Serious question.

A serious amount of money is needeed to buy Manchester United.
The kind of money you only get by shady business or ancestral shady business.

Also, don't get the part of being proud of anyone i'm not related to - aka my children, parents, spouse....

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Yeah, who's that?

Serious question.

Also, don't get the part of being proud of anyone i'm not related to - aka my children, parents, spouse....
You are related to your spouse?

Natener

The ownership was the reason I fell in love with the club in the first place. Nothing to do with the history, the team or the football we played. If Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson isn't the next owner then that's me done with the club.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The ownership was the reason I fell in love with the club in the first place. Nothing to do with the history, the team or the football we played. If Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson isn't the next owner then that's me done with the club.
The history of the team is intrinsically linked to the owners.

Natener

The history of the team is intrinsically linked to the owners.
Ok, then the ownership and the history to it is the reason I fell in love with the club. Regardless, bring me The Rock or I'm done with the club.

Bosws87

Really not bothered anymore, what am i going to do stop watching and supporting something i've loved for nearly my whole life and made so many great memories and met loads of fantastic people.

To take a stand (noble one at that) which won't change anything, its at level's where the only viable way to get the right owner is a coordinated protest with every single fan singing from the same sheet. We couldn't even muster up rock solid support for getting the glazers out and they have taken the piss for years.

So i could do my best to not glorify any new owners and just enjoy the football, people and the memories that come with it or tell people i'm making a stand as i go around actively trying not to watch it when a huge percentage of my social life involves or is orientated by football.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I think I'd wait a while at least to see what the ownership style is, are they going to install experienced directors, CEO, Chairman, etc, or are the owners going to try to situate themselves and family on a day to day basis? Most owners are only noticeable when they're asked to get their chequebooks out, I'd wait to see, hear, what others think as well but I suppose most noticeable would be position in league and any changes that apply to fans.

I've never been given any choice in who owns my club before and for years I've hoped the current tight fisted uncaring ones would sell up and leave but never really gave much of a thought about who might buy. It's rare now that PL or sometime top flight clubs are owned by truly altruistic owners, Delia springs to mind, she and her husband have put a huge percentage of their assets into maintaining Norwich, not big money by most PL clubs standards but it is what it is and I can't imagine that by the time someone takes over they'll either get the money back or for that matter sell to any supposed 'despot' or essentially anyone they determine would be bad for their club. I can't see me supporting any other team at this point in my life, I'd have to make do with occupying my time with other pursuits but I'd give the new owners a chance. I can accept that some will have stronger feelings, experience and knowledge.

AndyMUFC

I do feel one being state owned would completely go against the history of the club and it’s ethos, I’ve always thought of United as being a bit different to everyone else and this would put us in that City, PSG category a bit. Might just be rose tinted glasses, I don’t know…

But at the end of the day, what can you do? It’s the crazy finances in football and it’s not like most of these billionaires aren’t questionable people. Not gonna stop supporting a club for over 20 years over something that’s out of my control.

Zed 101

I think it is hard to second guess what the new owners if and when they arrive will be like.

Whichever "type" of owners we get I would be very much against them taking a hand in the day to day running of the team, owners buying players has shown to be disastrous time after time , they need to put good structures and the right people in place then throw in some money and stand back.

I do not for a second think if we had ME owners that they would be stupid enough to use their position in any political/social way, if they did then it would give me pause.

Fully Fledged

Yeah, who's that?

Serious question.

That's why I said I would like rather than must have. I understand that since the Glazers took over the valuation of the club has risen astronomically and no normal person can buy the club.

As for the pride in a stranger. There is an emotional attachment to the club that makes it feel like extended family.

DickDastardly

That's why I said I would like rather than must have. I understand that since the Glazers took over the valuation of the club has risen astronomically and no normal person can buy the club.

As for the pride in a stranger. There is an emotional attachment to the club that makes it feel like extended family.
Yes of course.

But why would i personify the club with the owner?

They're two different entities.

RVN1991

He's deep-rooted in politic, scammed millions people with crypto pyramid scheme, bought twitter when he was drunk, surprised that the company was full of agendas, is having buyer-remorse. Still mad that gov forcing lockdown & restrictions on his factories during covid & keep throwing shades at them even to this day.
That was just last year...You want this man to be owner of a football club? How many shit-posts would United get after a loss then?

He's Thomas Edison of this era, despite of the name of his company.
I don't want him to be the owner, I genuinely don't know enough about him and was curious as to why some people would consider him evil like an MBS for example, sounds more like somebody who's mentally unstable rather than evil going by your description though.

Loon

:lol:
I will always love the club, but I fear the Glazers pulling out of a sale would mean a continued decline.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
This is a great and well thought out argument. I especially like how you erased the whole problem by simply referring to those that have a issue with Qatari ownership as self-righteous crybabies.
It isn't an argument, just an observation that no matter who are the new owners their will always be someone who will have an issue.

Even if Fred Rogers owned this company, we will still have a bunch who will crib and cry.

Dannn411

No single owner will ever make me lose interest in Manchester United. Period.

ScholesyTheWise

This isn't true though is it, Imagine if Steven Gerrard bought the club
Feck me. My shoulders physically shuddered upon reading that.
Different than this shitty crunching feeling in my chest and stomach that comes with the Qatari bid,
But sickening in itself no doubt.