What made SAF so successful? (The Athletic)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Since 1900, the Scottish top flight has been won by a club other than Rangers or Celtic on only 15 occasions. Ferguson won it three times in eight years at Aberdeen between 1978 and 1986, while also lifting six domestic cups and defeating Real Madrid in the 1983 European Cup Winners’ Cup final. The beaten Madrid manager Alfredo Di Stefano said: “That was not a football team we met. It was an unstoppable spirit.”

Remarkable manager and undoubtedly the GOAT for me.

Marwood

Biggest strength, like Klopp and Pep, was getting players in that fit his style and most importantly, suit each other.

After watching us post Fergie we know what happens when a manager doesn't do that.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Not enough appreciation goes to what achieved at Scotland

I'd actually think his European achievements were better there than what he did for us by circumstances out of his control had pretty good run for the European cup as well (lost to Gutenberg by away goals rule who themselves went out to Terry Venables barca in a penalty shootout)

stw2022

Attention to detail. Anything to get the edge no matter how minute. The man influenced a game by looking at his watch. He was an incredible force of nature. Greatest football mind ever. As a manager he’s the Godfather and always will be

Bestietom

Attention to detail. Anything to get the edge no matter how minute. The man influenced a game by looking at his watch. He was an incredible force of nature. Greatest football mind ever. As a manager he’s the Godfather and always will be
Agree.

Foxbatt

He didn't have one way of playing. It also helped that he knew what he wanted in his team and how to implement it. Earlier on he was the coach. It's only later that he got good competent coaches for the tactical side of things
I still think he didn't win enough in Europe to be the best ever. In the UK, certainly yes.

tomaldinho1

Everyone forgot Macheda's hand ball goal in that game! The fix was in from both of us so it was even Stevens.
I swear your first goal was also handball from Ferreira when the advantage was being played.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I love how theyre putting this article behind a paywall. Unless if you're Sir Alex yourself most of the things you say regarding this are most likely false anyway.
What made Steve Jobs so successful?
1. Genius
2. Innovative
3. Being surrounded by brilliant devs

Steve Jobs : "What are ya on about? I worked my arse off for it and the devs did my head in most of the time!"

Last edited:

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Since 1900, the Scottish top flight has been won by a club other than Rangers or Celtic on only 15 occasions. Ferguson won it three times in eight years at Aberdeen between 1978 and 1986, while also lifting six domestic cups and defeating Real Madrid in the 1983 European Cup Winners’ Cup final. The beaten Madrid manager Alfredo Di Stefano said: “That was not a football team we met. It was an unstoppable spirit.”

Remarkable manager and undoubtedly the GOAT for me.
Great quote. Sums up Ferguson as a person as well

Marwood

He actually did squad rotation as well. Not just stockpiling two or three in every position in case of injury.

JeffFromHK

Spending more money than everyone else and a bent FA.

I'm joking! Merry Christmas!
Know you are joking, but "Man Utd spent the most under Fergie so it won most" is one of the biggest (perhaps deliberate) misconceptions of the rival fans

Man utd's net spent actual came FOURTH in the period 1992-2012, the first 20 years of premier league, behind Man City, Chelsea and LIVERPOOL, and won 12 out of 20 titles.

it was even the FIFTH on net spent in the first ten years of the premier league, behind Leeds, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle, but still won 7 out of 10 titles

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Didn't know where to put this but its brilliant.
Eh...brilliant ? I had to double check I was listening to the right thing. To be honest listening to the media talking about anything is pretty self serving. They are always so obsessed by themselves it’s almost ironic that they spend their time writing about other people.

Besides the fact that both journos featured were largely incoherent, neither could finish a sentence, Saying that the fans of United didn’t love Sir Alex like Liverpool loved Houllier ! Because the T-Shirt stalls only had on Fergie T-Shirt....wow. I don’t think there’s a more cherished manager anywhere in world football. They couldn’t be more out of touch if their heads were stuck up their own arses. Which to be fair is pretty accurate

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
SAF utilization of his squad was superb, even if it did continually annoy many armchair managers.

Well, there's that.;)

0le

He didn't have one way of playing. It also helped that he knew what he wanted in his team and how to implement it. Earlier on he was the coach. It's only later that he got good competent coaches for the tactical side of things
I still think he didn't win enough in Europe to be the best ever. In the UK, certainly yes.
:lol:

SAF tops the list with 7 UEFA club competitions. The list includes the following trophies:

- European Cup / UEFA Champions League
- UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (defunct)
- UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League
- UEFA Intertoto Cup (defunct)
- UEFA Super Cup
- Intercontinental Cup (defunct)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_club_competition_winning_managers

The most CL wins for a manager is 3. SAF has 2. Only three managers in history have won the CL 3 times.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Interested to hear what years you really consider “misses” as far as European success goes.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

That's a bit rich coming from the original Oligarch club. You'd be a middle-of-nowhere club still if it wasnt for Roman.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Bayer Leverkusen 2002 was the one, for me. Sure our PL form was all over the place but, with SAF last season in charge, the final being played in Hampden Park and with the talent and experience we had assembled, I thought fate was on our side.

But, as our PL performances showed, our defensive side ,collectively and individually, was absolutely shite, to be blunt.
Also, Beckham and Neville missing out also was a big factor in our form in the final stages of the campaign.
Plus that late,late Forlan effort cleared off the line.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Who would you have as the best ever?

It's a subjective question, I think what metrics one uses will determine their choice. Their success, influence on the game, innovation, longevity etc.
For me personally, Ferguson is the greatest manager of all time. There are other managers who I think influenced the game more in terms of the tactical side of the game, or some who adopted certain philosophies and elevated them to their peak. The likes of Cruyff, Sacchi, Michels and plenty more.

The reason Ferguson is my choice, is down to his incredible tangible success, his ability to adapt, and his ridiculous longevity. Football changed so much throughout his tenure as a manager, and he wasn't just able to keep up but actually dominate. He had a brilliant eye for noticing the trends in the game, and had the nous to both identify and apply these methods, as well as the management ability to know exactly who he needed to achieve this, both on and off the pitch. The ability to rejuvenate his team and create new ones as cycles came to a close was also a fantastic achievement. Most managers have a limited shelf life at one club, things become stale, players don't respond the same way and fatigue sets in. Ferguson was able to deal with all of this through his presence and clever management moves. Adding quality to his squad after a title win to keep everyone on their toes, changing staff through the cycles, ensuring that the respect from players remained high.

Add on the 49 trophies and managing in 5 different decades and he's my choice.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Unfortunately I see alot of Fergie in Klopp.
Yeah I think there's a lot of similarities. I think one is the ability to see exactly what a player can contribute to the side. While both have had plenty of world class players, they've also been able to wring out the best from unfashionable players too.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah I think there's a lot of similarities. I think one is the ability to see exactly what a player can contribute to the side. While both have had plenty of world class players, they've also been able to wring out the best from unfashionable players too.
Yes and Klopp has changed Liverpool's style of play over the past few seasons. The introduction of Fabinho was such a massive and somewhat understated move .

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Porto 2004, Bayern Munich 2010, Bayer Leverkusen 2002, arguably Real Madrid 2000
Yeah, all of those years we really had an excellent chance to win the competition. We really shouldn’t have gone out to Monaco in 1998 either, although actually winning the thing may have been beyond us that year.

Going out in the group stages in 2005 and 2011 was really poor stuff too.

Last edited:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Porto 2004, Bayern Munich 2010, Bayer Leverkusen 2002, arguably Real Madrid 2000
Porto were a horrible team to play and we had some shocking decisions against us. That tie and Madrid in 2013 still piss me off to this day.

Sweet Square

Besides the fact that both journos featured were largely incoherent, neither could finish a sentence, Saying that the fans of United didn’t love Sir Alex like Liverpool loved Houllier ! Because the T-Shirt stalls only had on Fergie T-Shirt....wow. I don’t think there’s a more cherished manager anywhere in world football. They couldn’t be more out of touch if their heads were stuck up their own arses. Which to be fair is pretty accurate
Yeah my take away from this video is Fergie was completely right in his treatment of journalists.

Pure madness to even question United fans feelings of Fergie.

AndySmith1990

Took him for granted by the end, but christ we had it good with him. Over 20 years of 1st and 2nd place finishes, functional teams, and watching players who gave a damn about the club. To maintain such a standard and consistently win for such a long period of time is crazy and speaks of the genius of the man. I believe if he were 10 years younger and still in charge he'd still be able to beat City to the title. He could adapt to any challenge thrown at him.