What made you become a supporter of this club?

Locke Leiemand

Up until 1989 when I started following United, I had only really been interested in the Danish national team. So basically I starting following United because they played in similar colours to the Danish national team. I was 8 at the time so that seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

NewYorkRed

My dad. Had no other choice really haha and I couldn’t be happier obviously !

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i’m sure my story is fairly typical of 99% of united fans on here, but i’ll share it anyway.

i grew up in/and around the london area in the early 90s. there was a dearth of teams located around me (who won stuff.) naturally, i was drawn to a team who were successful. they happened to be red and located somewhere north of the watford gap. like most of us here, i’ve not bothered to work out exactly where
in the intervening years.

the nineties and the noughties were good to me. the club was winning nearly everything. i was happy. that’s not to say there weren’t some terse times. i threatened to walk away the odd time we only managed a league trophy and missed out on a cup. i was miffed when the latest shiny toy wasn’t bought in from italy or spain. i’d have sacked ferguson the moment batigol didn’t join (and i still haven’t forgiven you to this day, if you’re reading this.) the club normally got back on track (usually after i sent a string worded letter to carrington.)

united and i were a marriage made in heaven. or so i thought. soon they got sloppy. they stopped buying good managers and players and stopped wining stuff. i had no choice but to switch allegiances to more successful teams. with ole at the wheel though, it was time to listen to those heart strings being pulled and throw away my liverpool and city shirts (both printed with the below)

eva in are shadow

and return home. i, like most of you, are hoping that raiph does a good enough job with the roster he has at his disposal, and that i don’t have to move teams again.

Sviken

Beckham and Nistelrooy got me into it. They looked so cool when I was a kid, especially Beckham. Then you had United that looked by far the most aesthetic team - the red coloring, the devil badge and nickname that was very attractive, the splendid kits with the SHARP and Vodafone logo - loved them. Generally I couldn't see myself supporting any other team as a kid. United had by far the most "impressionable" look to me and as a kid that's generally what you're looking for.

tomaldinho1

Half family from Manchester, other half from Pool. Dad’s side are big Tranmere fans so dislike Pool/Everton and so both sides ended up pushing United. Then Cantona sealed the love affair.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
As a pre-teen I had no interest in football at all. Probably around 1985-ish it was demanded of me that I choose a team to support. The choices in our playground at the time were either United or Spurs. Made no sense to support a team from London, so United it was.

I actually started enjoying watching football when I started enjoying playing it. That would have been around 1990 at the age of 12. That was when I found out I'd made a great choice. Handy, because even when I didn't get what it meant, I've always ascribed to the idea that you simply can't change your club.

None of my family had the slightest interest in football, hence my late interest (I also blame this for why I'm so crap at it! :D )

The Siege

No lie, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

As a child, I was fascinated by the fact that strikers would just know where the ball would come, not entirely processing that teams practice football. So it was kinda like magic to me, and because few English league games were broadcasted in India and United were top preference, I just kept an eye out for Solskjaer. And then I kinda realised that his success = United's success. That's how I started rooting for United.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Grew up with a Liverpool supporting father and brother, but always supported United purely because of the king, Eric Cantona. The man, the legend.

Absolutely adored the guy and still do. Obviously he drew me to the club as a young kid and then you just fall in love with everything else about the club, the history, the legends/icons of the club, the manager and everything else, then your in, there's no other club for you.

There will never be a cooler footballer than Eric. He was the epitome of swagger on the pitch. He singlehandedly brought in a massive wave of young fans at that time, probably more than any other player except other elite players like Best and Ronaldo.
This, he played for Utd the way we all wish we could, chest out, swagger and a snarl, verve, style and arrogance. Single handedly the coolest man who has ever or will ever live. LONG LIVE THE KING

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Giggs (Welsh) and Beckham

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Both my Dad and my cousin were big United fans. My Dad had told me about Duncan Edwards being the best footballer he ever saw, and that the way United played football was like a breath of fresh air, always going forward, always exciting. He also thought a lot of Tommy Taylor and Roger Byrne.
My Dad took me to Filbert Street in April 1963 ( I think for my 10th birthday) to watch Leicester against United, 4-3 to Leicester with a certain D. Law scoring a hat trick, one an unstoppable overhead kick which left Gordon Banks rooted to the spot, although I was in amongst Leicester fans, my love for United was forged that day, has always been, and will be always.

House Mkhitaryan

Here in the US, I was only exposed to international soccer via the World Cup and FIFA video games. I really enjoyed the World Cup and in fact ended up watching every single game in 1998 (taping each game every day). I decided I was going to support England before this '98 World Cup because I appeciated their multi-cultural team and found English players didn't dive and fake injuries nearly as much as South American teams and some European teams, especially Italy (also supported Holland and France for same reasons). Bought a magazine preview before the tournament that had features on 2 players: Scholesy and Sol Campbell. Paid attention to both these players and absolutely fell in love with the way Scholes played. Learned more about United and loved their team makeup of British players mixed with internationals from all over the world. United became my team in FIFA and I started following United via the internet and could watch the occasional Champions League game (on ESPN 2 maybe?). Then somewhere around year 2000, my cable TV provider added the channel Fox Sports World that broadcast the EPL (as well as other leagues) and was now able to watch world class soccer at a time (weekend mornings) that absolutely didn't interfere with anything else in my life. Pretty much overnight I became obsessed with soccer in general and United specifically. Been a die hard supporter ever since.

tldr: Scholes

MadMike

My dad always liked United but aside from that, I was went to a religious Christian school where wearing a jersey with the devil stitched on the chest could lead to an expulsion. How could I not be the rebel and support the club?

Yagami

Good post resistant
From Manchester, born into a predominantly United family.

My brother changed from United to City in the early 90s as a kid because our next door neighbour was a mad City fan and they were best mates, and one of my uncle's became a City fan because he grew up being best mates with City legend Paul Lake who was a fan growing up, too.

Mainoldo

I was really young and I asked my dad “who’s the best team in the world”, and he said probably United. Simple really :lol:

Charlton will always be my “real” team, but my love of United has never wavered. My brother on the other hand… one year he had a Liverpool shirt coming for Christmas and by the time it arrived he “supported” Chelsea :lol:
Great story:lol:

Nooski

So I started following United somewhere late 70’s/early 80’s.

Back then in Sweden we would get one televised game of First Division football per week on a Saturday afternoon TV-show, which apart from playing myself was the highlight of my week. Didn’t really know much about anything at that age obviously, let alone English football. But one Saturday afternoon this team in red shirts came from behind to take the win. I was impressed with the fight they put up and liked their red shirts. The commentator also talked about an aircrash and some Busby-babes and glories of old. I thought this must a club that overcome anything and started following them.

Wish I could figure out what game it was, all I remember is the red shirts and the terrible state of the pitch during the winter months in those years!

So here I am some 40+ years later

Lentwood

Dad was a ST-holder from the 70s so had no choice really! First item of clothing I ever received was a tiny replica shirt from the 1989-90s season.

Used to get to as many games as I could as a kid, but that was obviously tough as wasn't old enough to go on my own and Dad was in North Stand Tier 2, which is predominantly ST-holders. Used to get to about 6/7 games a season though, usually Champions League or midweek cup games, since this was when some of the regulars would have spare tickets. Also used to get to the odd away game with my Dad. Earliest memories are a draw with Wimbledon at OT, beating Leicester at Filbert Street, beating LSK Lodz 2-0 at OT, beating Forest 8-1 at the City Ground and drawing 1-1 with Newcastle at St. James' Park.

My Dad always said he would hand his ST over to me when I turned 16 and I could travel to games on my own. At this time, we were living in Nottingham, so I used to get the supporters bus from outside Morrisons in Eastwood. For anybody who has read "If The Kids Are United", Dad & I were born in the same mining town as Tony Hill (Jacksdale). Bit of a stretch to say they were mates, but Dad knew Tony and gets a brief mention in the book (or so he said, in the latest version) Went to practically every home game from then until about 2010/11, so a good 5/6 year run of barely missing a game. By this time, I was living in Hull, had no money and couldn't afford to renew (and the travel).

I moved to Manchester in 2012, got two STs together with Dad in about 2015 (it was LVGs first season, whenever that was), held those together until 2018/19. By this point, Dad was really ill and couldn't travel. I used to go with a couple of mates but we all sat in different parts of the ground. The atmosphere around the club was horrific, even though we had just finished 2nd the place was toxic. Sort of fell a little out of love with the Match Day experience. Queuing for an hour to get in the pub, £40-odd a ticket to sit in silence (apart from the booing/whingeing) on my own with an empty seat next to me....£5 for a pint, £5 for a crap hotdog, £6 for three stops on the tram...just didn't seem worth it.

Still follow Utd as closely as ever, but from home/the pub now. Go to the odd game when I get a free ticket or something corporate. Do think the game as lost touched with the supporters to a large extent.

dweb

I was a 7 year old Geordie in Newcastle in 1977. My Irish uncle who is a Chelsea fan, brought a Utd Jersey and gave it to me (don't know why) and from then on, I ditched my Newcastle strip and that was that.
Still have a soft spot for the Toon army but have no loyalties with them whatsoever.

Whatsername

I always watched football on TV with my Dad (think he wanted a son) but he supported the local non league team so they were my only experience of live football.

Then in the mid 80s I had friends who supported United and got into watching and supporting through them.

I now go with my son, we have season tickets together. He’s 21 and I’ve been taking him since he was about 3.

Last edited:

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
On 17 March 1999 my interest was piqued while I was serving a corked bottle of wine to a gentleman in a 5-star hotel in Hertfordshire. He kept on saying the wine was corked. I had no idea what he was talking about, because a) I already removed the cork; and b) Scholes scored the equalizer against Inter.

On 7 April I watched my first full game of footies while I was supposed to be cleaning tables and serving shooters. That night Giggs scored the equalizer.

On 26 May I was working at reception and thinking about how much I hated cricket when the guests suddenly freaked out cheering and a yelling friend of mine ran around the reception area in his underpants. Seriously.

I was 23 when I decided that football was for me.

The chef insisted that I support Leeds. My underpants friend argued for United. Thank you underpants friend. Wherever you are.

Last edited:

jeff_goldblum

The boring way - my dad was from Manchester and supported United and his dad was from Manchester and supported United

Ollie Derbyshire

Like all my sporting teams, whoever was the arch rival to whoever my older brother supported, or whoever his team was playing the first time I watched the sport if I didn’t know much about it.

He supports Liverpool so I went with United.

Siezard

Steve Bruce. A defender who managed to score more than 100 goals???

Peter Schmeichel. A goalkeeper who managed to score more than 10 goals???

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
My older brother was a Utd fan, so had it drilled into my head at 6 years old that Utd were the best. 40 years later im a bigger fan than he is now :lol:
Loved the club ever since, all my cousins, nephews, nieces are all Utd fans thanks to me.
The club really should have a statue of me outside OT.

captaincantona

Irish - no dad -my two uncles raised me. Amazing memories of us listening to games on the radio in the kitchen. and there just was no choice...Stapleton, Moran, McGrath were hero’s for club and country. Then as I got older Irwin and Keane became and still are my hero’s.

Eric Cantona is my favorite player of all time though and back when it was much harder to watch games...if you only had the basic channels over here...the end of season videos got played till they broke, rewinding them back again and again to watch that assist for Irwin or the volley against Wimbledon.

My son wanted to support City- I threatened to evict him...he is now12 and he and I wallow in our joint misery as United fans. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Love this club.

Bosws87

Born in Manchester, none of family into football so i just chose my local team.

Harold_Giles

As a kid I used to watch football without being a big supporter of any team.
In those days there wasn't really any option but to just watch whatever game the local broadcaster had on showing, usually just 1 game per weekend - if memory serves.
My brother liked United, so I did lean a bit towards them - and it did help that both United or Liverpool were usually the teams on show.
After seeing Beckham score from the halfway line in 1996, as a 10 year old, I became obsessed with both United and Beckham.

Hardly missed a game since then :devil:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Really quite weird; I started off by liking Newcastle United and then this fellow who, in hindsight, was obviously a dodgy fecking cnut, tried to usher me into supporting dirty scum.

In the end Beckham did it.

MayfieldsFinest

The threat of fraternal violence. My brother is 10 years older than me and would have kicked the shite out of me had I chosen another team. Fair play to him.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I remember Bayer Leverkusen semi. Forlan hit a half volley in the last second of the game if I remember correctly. I was hooked after that. Just United for me. Beckham was a big bonus but I loved the excitement — was a fecking buzz when United were playing.

clonsolar

The Red Devil logo in 1983 and Bryan Robson. Devoted ever since!

Red00012

My grandfather supported Utd - absolutely loved Giggs :D
My dad supported Utd
I followed suit .

Used to go to my grandfathers every Sunday as we had no sky sports in my house.
My son is now a red and I’ve brought him over a few times

We’ll never die :keano:

Ddannidom

Rooney!! I so much enjoyed watching Rooney on TV. For me he was better than Ronaldo in that United team

redzombie

I used to collect players autographs as a kid in the early eighty's.
My parents posted my autograph book out to a few clubs in Scotland & England, most of the time you would get a photocopied sheet with the players signatures sent back with the book.
One of the few clubs that actually took the time to get the players to sign the book was United.

Saddy

Born in Greater Manchester - watched us win the 1968 European Cup on the TV as a 10 years old - supported through thick and thin - started supporting by going to matches when we were in the 2nd division with Tommy Doc playing 2 attacking wingers and stayed with them 100% since !