What made you become a supporter of this club?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Growing up in the late 90's in Canada, wasn't much footy on TV, tended to be United or Arsenal. My uncle liked United, dad liked Arsenal, I liked Beckham so just naturally paid more attention to United.

largelyworried

It was the local club, family supported them. Not sure I ever really got a say in the matter.

Dve

My one year older mate was a supporter, so I started to support United as well at the age of 7. I remember I got my first United sports bag back then, and my favourite player was Steve Coppell.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
My grandad, I remember he always used to say that as long as we beat city and the scousers then he wasn’t bothered about the trophies. He died in 1996 so he got to see us win a few before passing but I wish he’d have got to see us dominate the late 90s and early 2000s. He loved Fergie but used to give him a lot of shit.

Marzo

I was eight, and been a Saffer, followed and connected to Manchester United because of a South African goalkeeper that joined the club. Gary Bailey.
That was me done and here I am, 42 years later still supporting this great club.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I am Irish but I grew up in Australia when I would come home from Australia on Holidays my Uncles would all buy me United gear to get me to support United I had other uncles who supported Chelsea and Arsenal ( they didn't tight arses , just kidding ) . My father is a QPR fan , My mother is a Leeds fan , My brother is a Fanatical Liverpool fan and I'm United till I die .
Jesus that's dysfunctional how do you manage to keep it civil

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Basically like most on this thread My dad got me into it he loved Cantona and sir Alex and that love was passed to me and United and sir Alex were a large part of me growing up he also told me about the Munich busby and the holy trinity so I fell in love with the myth of the club as well

though despite the best efforts of my mom as she was a Chelsea fan and I remember whenever I asked her to buy me a United jersey she would come with a Chelsea one instead it became annoying after awhile

Ismiseeire

FA Cup Final 1977. I had just go into football. My older brother was a Liverpool fan and I wanted to annoy him. He annoys me now.

AFC NimbleThumb

My cousin supported United, my uncle supported Birmingham City. They were arguing one day & I was the deciding vote, I like my cousin better than my uncle this said I supported United. They then both dragged me to Birmingham City & United games in equal measures to sway me either way.

My dad liked cricket & my mom is a Villa fan, I went to a few of their games when I was younger also.

Anekdote

When I was a kid, Juventus 2 - 3 Man Utd comeback in 99', then the legendary finale against Bayern München.

Also David Beckham.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
My Dad used to take me to watch Derby County as a kid so I started out life as a Rams fan. Big Ron brought United down to The Baseball Ground in 1983. Norman Whiteside scored the only goal but I was transfixed by Bryan Robson. He was clearly the best player on the pitch and a poster was up on my wall pretty soon after that.

I went to the game a Derby fan and went home a United (Bryan Robson) fan ... much to my Dads dismay.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Played GK in the late 80s at a club coached by a Liverpool legend so it was only natural I became a United fan.

Buzz Mann

Became friends at my local football club with a young lad from Manchester who supported United. This was in South Africa and they had recently immigrated. Back in 1975.

Utdfanabroad

David Beckham and my dad. Dad knew I was a Beckham fan and was starting to show more interest in football, playing and watching. He worked for Walkers Crisps at the time and got friendly with someone high up in the business, this guy got us box seats vs Villa in 1999 and Beckham scored a cracking free kick. I will never forget that day and my love for Utd will never diminish.

I also entered a competition, where I had to guess the attendance for the game. I was 11 people off and came second. Got a bottle of wine and a picture with Nicky Butt :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't support United, but as a kid in the 90s, Cantona with his arrogant French head and collar up intrigued me greatly. English football was on TV for an hour on Sunday which was a highlight of my week.

Then with Ruud I was pulled into following United again. Still it was that magic hour on Sundays that awed me.

The Oracle

I fell in love with Man Utd on Valentine’s Day.

My earliest memory of watching them on TV was when I was 7 years old, and I was at my Nana and Grandad’s house having Sunday dinner...

The match was an FA Cup tie at Bramall Lane, and a 19 year-old Ryan Giggs opened the scoring with a great strike for Utd who were playing in the away strip of Green and Gold (an absolutely majestic kit, and that includes the goalkeeper jersey as well).

Although United went on to lose the match 2-1 to Sheffield United, a few months later Man Utd would go on to win their first league title in 26 years.

Exactly 6 years on from seeing them for the 1st time on TV (yes Valentine’s Day again), I was at my first ever match at Old Trafford to see them in an FA Cup tie against Fulham, in which Utd won 1-0 with a strike from Andy Cole.

A few months later Utd went on to win the historic ‘Treble’

...majestic!

Uniquim

That Beckham goal v Wimbledon sealed the deal for me. Already liked United from the few games that were on TV the season before which were some of the first ones I watched as a kid, but that goal sealed the deal.

Denis79

Born in to it. My father is a supporter like his father before him. I have no memories of how I became a United fan, I just am :) .

distant_red

Growing up in Australia during the 80's, I knew bugger-all about football in England, let alone Man Utd. My grandma bought me a Roy of the Rovers Annual when I was about 10. I liked the comics but had no interest in the real life articles. Then when I was 16, a friend at school started talking to me about football and I listened but I knew nothing about it. Eventually he told me there was a one hour highlights show on TV every monday night so I decided next week I'd watch it. Then I remembered the Roy of the Rovers book I'd got 6 years earlier and wondered if I still had it. It was there in my book shelf, way at the bottom and I leafed through it, this time reading each page beyond the comics. Then I turned a page to see a two-page spread of a team photo. It was a sea of red. The team name said: Manchester United. I liked the jersey and the name and in that moment decided they were my team. Grandma, thank you for buying me the edition with Man Utd in it. She was the reason I've followed United since 1991.

Reactions: Cheimoon

poleglass red

grew up in Belfast at a time when people supported either of 2 teams in england it seemed, either Utd or Liverpool. Whiteside was a fellow Belfast lad, he was my first football hero and naturally he played for Utd so I followed them.

JB7

No real memory of becoming a United fan, Mams a United fan & had my room decked out in United stuff before I was born apparently. Dad didn't even get a say in the matter.

Kopral Jono

I'm from Indonesia. My grandfather from my mum's side was a massive fan and growing up I was especially close to him, so as a football-mad kid it was only natural and Cantona sealed the deal for me.

How he became a United fan is a much more interesting story. Way back in the mid-sixties when he was a graduate student in Switzerland, a fellow international student from Pakistan who had spent some time in Manchester told him stories about the Busby Babes and showed him newspaper clippings of the whole thing and our plight as a football club after the tragedy. The rest was history, but bar a few visits to Old Trafford in the early eighties, for almost thirty years he followed us only through the BBC World Service when they read out the scores every Saturday evening and the occasional FA Cup Final where it would be shown live on local television.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Basically like most on this thread My dad got me into it he loved Cantona and sir Alex and that love was passed to me and United and sir Alex were a large part of me growing up he also told me about the Munich busby and the holy trinity so I fell in love with the myth of the club as well

though despite the best efforts of my mom as she was a Chelsea fan and I remember whenever I asked her to buy me a United jersey she would come with a Chelsea one instead it became annoying after awhile
Bless your mum. She sounds like a lovely woman. Pity you couldn't be a good obedient son/daughter to her.

minoo-utd

I live in Egypt, the P.L started to be broadcasted here I think near 96 at 98 I was 14 and started to watch the Liga and P.L with my father and as I heard the name of Red Devils because our local club Al-Ahly also called this so I picked United and started to fall in love with and in 99 the story was written in the stars.

Cloud7

Coincidence as around the age I started following football Dwight Yorke played for United. As a Trini I thought that was really cool that I followed him at United. As it turned out United were quite fun to watch, and so I stuck around and I’m here ever since.

Vanrouge

My grandad and to some extent my uncle. My dad's family were City but not bothered and not matchgoers. I moved from Manchester when I was young, but we'd go back again and again, and my grandad would take me to OT, and the mystique of the club filled me. My grandad's stories about Munich too, and the Busby Babes. I went back to Manchester for a number of years in the early eighties and continued the family tradition by becoming a regular—in my case, on the Stretford End (as it says in my Location).

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It was the Scandinavian players in the 90's that made me watch United's games and got me interested in the club but I can't say I was a proper supporter at that time. It was actually a single game that made me go from just wanting United to win to be a true full-blown supporter and that was the 5-3 away win against Spurs in 2001.

I didn't watch every game back then, only maybe every 3-4 games or so and as most of you probably know Spurs went 3-0 up in the first half and I started looking for other things to watch since I thought the game was over. But for some reason I still decided to watch the 2nd half and those 45min made me fall in love with the team and the club.

Duane Dibley

Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
I've always been a Wednesday fan, but I've had a soft spot for United since the 1999 Champions League.

Not the obvious, but Jaap Stam in what must have been the quarter final, standing like a brick wall with I think it was Zamarano backing into him, and then backing into him again, and Stam not flinching and not giving an inch.

Then the comeback against Juventus and then the final. That's what football's all about.