What made you become a supporter of this club?

dove

Got a Total Club Manager 2003 game as a kid, picked a team without knowing anything about it and it happened to be United. At some point I got curious how the team is doing in real life, started following them, checking the results, then started watching live games and barely missed any game ever since. Thank feck I didn't pick Arsenal, I think they were the best rated team in the PL in that game.

wolvored

I was took to see Utd play at the Baggies 66/67, saw Best Law and Charlton, although at 7 was only just getting into football really. Also my bro in law bought me the Hotspur end of that season with Utd stuff in think there was a cardboard League trophy in it.

Red Diva

As a young child I watched the 1966 World Cup games on tv with my dad. I thought Bobby Charlton was fantastic, my dad told me he played for Manchester United, I said “I’m going to support them then”…

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Bless your mum. She sounds like a lovely woman. Pity you couldn't be a good obedient son/daughter to her.
Always had a rebellious side to me self though I do wonder if she did it out of kindness of her heart seeing ours and Chelsea's current state

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
My big brother. I wanted to support Leeds as they were the high flying club back in the early 70s, but he clipped me round the ear and the rest as they say....

Murray3007

Started playing football at around 9ish, first game got put RM, was quick and could dribble, started watching football and Andrei Kanchelskis banged in a hat trick v city, so started following United,

Zevvythered

My Papa!! He used to run a bus to Old Trafford.
Sparky Hughes was my hero at a young age, loved the way he held the ball in and was as strong as an ox… his goal against Barcelona to win the cup was breathtaking like an arrow into the net, I remember me and my mates trying to hit the ball that hard from that angle…

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I saw United winning and wanted to support them. Plastic things like that.

VictoriaRed

In the late 90's, before 99', with Cantona flipping his collar. I started flipping my collar because of him. United played together, work rate was exceptional, we played with flair, and a never say die attitude. And Roy Keane. Need I say more.

GueRed

The schools i went to all over North london in the 80's, kids were either Arsenal (local) or Liverpool (most successful)

Arsenal my local team even though i met some of their players through school football events and tournaments never appealed to me.
The Liverpool fans at school were annoying gloating cnuts, that put me right off.

So naturally I chose United.

Bryan Robson the main reason really. Proper proper footballing hero

I remember in one school of 200-300 kids i was only one of three United fans. The two were my best mates.

Fitchett

Manchester born, but my parents weren't big football fans when I was young. I started playing football for the cubs team when I turned 8, in 1963. I was telling my gran about this, and how one of my team mates had invited me to go watching City, with him and his dad. She was horrified, told me to sit down, and both she and her sister explained that their brother, Jack Fitchett, had played for United, and that everyone in the family who followed football, supported United. I was convinced and immediately started following United. So, I am eternally grateful for Gran's timely intervention, before I got corrupted. After that, my mum, dad, brother and myself started going to matches at Old Trafford and have never stopped supporting the Reds.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I was randomly flicking channels as a bored pre-teen and chanced upon a football game where the crowd was going ballistic and the commentators were ecstatic. Turns out utd was smashing spurs.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I didn't really have a choice. My dad was a supporter because his dad watched the Busby side of the fifties when staying over in Manchester (despite us all being Londoners).

My first real concrete memory of fully supporting the side was watching the FA Cup Final replay of 1990 with my dad.

Keownisacnut

Supports
Glazers out!
I'm a Manchester United fan because my dad is, he's a fan because Bill Foulkes.

pascell

My dad used to go on United and PNE as a young lad and gave me and my brother the option of who we wanted to go and watch.

King Eric and our grit to fight until the end swayed it for me.

Athlon

Dad was a United fan first and foremost, However I grew up in Chorlton and went to school with Dennis Law's kids which helped!

Dad worked as an engineer in a commercial laundry and Dennis used to drop his stuff of there and then have a brew with Dad in the boiler room, they were very different times!

One of the other customers Dad used to drop laundry to was Sir Matt so it was nailed on really!

Now I live 3 miles from the ground and my regular Tesco is about 1/4 mile away!

Despite all that, after seeing Best, Charlton and Law play at Old Trafford would be enough to bleed United.

Now I raise funds for the RNLI and every so often I am gifted bits for the charity from them to help raise funds :) I am hoping Lingard gets a few good games in as I have a signed shirt of his to move on at the moment!!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I was randomly flicking channels as a bored pre-teen and chanced upon a football game where the crowd was going ballistic and the commentators were ecstatic. Turns out utd was smashing spurs.
Same, however can‘t remember who we were playing. I only remember Giggs running with the ball (must be around 96/97) which was so fascinating I couldn’t look away. I then decided to find out more about United. I then started watching them more and realized I liked Scholes even more than Giggs. After a while I realized I liked Beckham even more than Scholes. After a couple of more games I realized Keane was even better than all of them. That‘s when I decided to just support the whole club!

cfkane

I am an American and grew up with no interest in football other than the US kind. Then, almost 20 years ago I was talking with a Manchester born co-worker and she brought up the sport, (don't even remember what prompted her to mention it), and I said that I thought it was a boring sport. She said that I only thought that because I had only seen Americans play it and needed to see a proper team. A few week later the late wife and I watched United v Barcelona on TV in a preseason friendly in New Jersey. We both enjoyed it and watched a few more United matches at the beginning of the season. The moment we knew we were fans was when United lost to Southampton 1-0 with 2 minutes to go in the match James Beattie scored the winner off a corner. We were gutted and that reaction to the result was when we realized we were fans. We were lucky to see them once live on a subsequent visit, but she died before we ever made it to Old Trafford. I did, a few years later, attend the Derby and brought a United flag my wife owned to the match, so, in a way, brought her to the game is spirit at least.

AFC NimbleThumb

I am an American and grew up with no interest in football other than the US kind. Then, almost 20 years ago I was talking with a Manchester born co-worker and she brought up the sport, (don't even remember what prompted her to mention it), and I said that I thought it was a boring sport. She said that I only thought that because I had only seen Americans play it and needed to see a proper team. A few week later the late wife and I watched United v Barcelona on TV in a preseason friendly in New Jersey. We both enjoyed it and watched a few more United matches at the beginning of the season. The moment we knew we were fans was when United lost to Southampton 1-0 with 2 minutes to go in the match James Beattie scored the winner off a corner. We were gutted and that reaction to the result was when we realized we were fans. We were lucky to see them once live on a subsequent visit, but she died before we ever made it to Old Trafford. I did, a few years later, attend the Derby and brought a United flag my wife owned to the match, so, in a way, brought her to the game is spirit at least.
Sorry for your loss. Lovely story.

TomD

I am from Ireland. My Dad was football mad & a very good player although I never got a chance to see him play as I was the youngest. A lot of my parent's family moved to the UK for work in the 50's / 60's because there were no jobs at home. Half to Wales & the other half to Manchester. My first cousin from Wales played for United during the 80's so I had no choice then. Moran, McGrath, Keane, Irwin, & O'Shea & the style of football just cemented it. The history of Munich & Liam Whelan & the Irish exodus to the UK has a big influence in the Irish support for united in my humble opinion.

Red_toad

Watching players who the Caf would have deemed as shite if it were over 4 decades ago sold it to me :D

NICanRed

When I was a kid there wasn't much live football on TV. On Wednesday evenings BBC had Sportsview with Peter Dimmock which would show snippets of football. The most exciting football that they showed always seemed to involve Manchester United (although Wolves were quite good too!). They were swashbuckling and exciting and seemed to be the team to support.
Then came Munich. Harry Gregg was one of the heroes. Living in Norn Iron - that cemented it for me.
In those days all the players were from the British Isles so there was almost always someone from NI in or around the team. there were many but of course special names like Best, Mc Ilroy, Whiteside, Gillespie, Healy and most recently Evans. The McGraths, Irwins and Keanes helped too.
Have only been able to make the pilgrimage to OT on a couple of occasions and have seen live games on pre-season tours in Canada and the US. Now have blurry, lagging, buffering streaming of every game on DAZN but I watch religiously and wouldn't miss a minute.

ariel

Was about ten and the tv was showing highlights of a football game from England - the Manchester derby. The name United sounded exciting to me. It stuck ever since. Later on I discovered that when I was a baby I was held by Alex Stepney and that my gran was originally from Manchester. So all in all it was probably fate. To the day I am grateful though that the name City didn't sound right

Bestietom

My dad and my older brothers were all fans and they took me to see them play Spurs in 1959.
We lost heavily, but I am still a fan since that day. I had just turned 8 years old.

superdry

touched by a genius
Lovely story, thanks for sharing it.

Fts 74

What a lovely story, shame your wife didn't get to see us at OT.

Ted1985

I started supporting Manchester United in the first or second grade of school because all the boys in my class supported this beautiful club. They all changed to Liverpool FC the next year, I was a sheep the the first time when I picked club, but loyalty/being a supporter means something to me.

Atheist

Man Utd 1-0 West Brom, 2002-03 season. The first time I started watching football was with the 2002 Football World Cup, and it was particularly enjoyable (Steve Banyard's commentary made it amazing). Then, I started watching the Premier League, and it was a topsy-turvy season for United but they played some great football - Beckham, RvN, Veron. And haven't looked back since.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Sorry for your loss brother. What a beautiful gift she left you amongst many others I'm sure.

Zapata

Watched the prem but never really supported a club until I found myself watching more and more United games due to Ronaldo in his first and second season at the club and eventually I became a United fan and has remained that way

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
It’s how I was born.

Have a picture of my Dad, his mate, and me outside Old Trafford when I was a week old

Smudgers

My dad , couldn’t afford to go to Old Trafford back in the day but dad was an avid fan , we managed to see two United greats Bobby Charlton and Nobby Styles play for Preston North End against my home town club Chester back in 1974 never forget Bobby’s hair flowing behind him running through the middle of the park , now I’m lucky enough to have a season ticket cheers Dad