What next for Jürgen Klopp?

SecondFig

A break then Real Madrid?
That would be my guess, he's going to want an elite club but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy to be attracted by the PSG job, Barcelona are a mess, Bayern would be a real surprise, and Real look like a really good fit.

Edit: should have said; when he comes back, I think he'll take a good break - minimum 12 months and wouldn't be surprised if it's longer. Also wouldn't be totally surprised if he took the Germany job, international football doesn't feel a good fit for him but if he really wants a change of lifestyle it might not be such a mismatch

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Real question is will he get his wooden teeth back or not. Since his dentist lives in UK.

Abizzz

Watch his interview. I’m convinced he has fairly serious health issues. No chance he goes straight to another managerial job.
He doesn't look too well but I can't see it being anything too serious either, otherwise he would surely be gone now instead of waiting for 6 months.

redshaw

I'd guess Bayern or Madrid after a season break.

Would be nice to see him take the Germany job though, it sounds like he's hinting at that, a different pace of job.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Klopp is only 56 to put that into context, Alex Ferguson was 56 in 1998.
27 years at a club like United is bonkers. Something that I don't expect to be broken during my lifetime for a top team, not in England or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

JediSith

Surely Bayern go all out for him?
Newcastle.

There seems to be connection between Newcastle & Liverpool in regards to former managers and players. It’s like an acceptable move.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Germany job after they are papped out of the group stages of the Euros
The result won't matter, as Nagelsmann only got (and wanted) a short term contract to go back to managing clubs after the tournament. So that job is definitely available in the summer and there has been a lot of interest on behalf of the DFB to get Klopp in as their manager over the last years.

Abizzz

The result won't matter, as Nagelsmann only got (and wanted) a short term contract to go back to managing clubs after the tournament. So that job is definitely available in the summer and there has been a lot of interest on behalf of the DFB to get Klopp in as their manager over the last years.
Yeah but would he do it any time soon? It's basically a win or fail job and I don't see the players to win big honors right now. I think he might be better off doing that in another 5-7 years if he's still healthy enough then.

lex talionis

After a year of rest, a nice cushy job with an MLS franchise. He’s already proven himself in Europe…why punish himself with trying to prove something he doesn’t have to prove?

Amir

A year out, like the last time.

His management style is high intensity, high energy. It's not surprising he has to take sabbaticals to maintain sanity.
Not really. He's been working almost nonstop since he took over Mainz in 2001. The only time he was out of the game was between his departure from Dortmund to his arrival at Liverpool, and was that about five months.

But I do expect him to take some time off this time.

Teja

Barcelona is my bet.
One year out then I can see this happening - feels like Barca would be a good fit for him.
Why do you guys think this? He's not really in the mould of the spanish tiki-taka managers and that's Barca's DNA. From the La Masia to the first team, technique is everything. For Klopp I think the non negotiable thing is the work rate and intensity with some technique not the other way round.

Can you imagine guys like Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets running around like Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum? Or Messi and Neymar pressing like Salah and Mane? Or Suarez putting in a defensive CF shift like Firmino?

For me he's tailor made for RM / Bayern / the German NT if he wants a break.

spiriticon

Not really. He's been working almost nonstop since he took over Mainz in 2001. The only time he was out of the game was between his departure from Dortmund to his arrival at Liverpool, and was that about five months.

But I do expect him to take some time off this time.
I was thinking more than he doesn't usually stay very long term at a club. He does seem to burn out and needs time off to recharge.

To be fair, I didn't expect him to go 8 years at Liverpool. I gave him 5 years when he joined, but I think winning the league gave him a bit of a boost.

Amir

I was thinking more than he doesn't usually stay very long term at a club. He does seem to burn out and needs time off to recharge.
It's just not true. He only had three clubs in his career: Seven years at Mainz, seven years at Dortmund, and he'll have almost nine at Liverpool. Those are very long tenures in this day and age.

spiriticon

It's just not true. He only had three clubs in his career: Seven years at Mainz, seven years at Dortmund, and he'll have almost nine at Liverpool. Those are very long tenures in this day and age.
Ok fair enough. I thought he was at Dortmund for less than 5 years

But he does burn out eventually though. It's now happened twice.

always_hoping

27 years at a club like United is bonkers. Something that I don't expect to be broken during my lifetime for a top team, not in England or anywhere else in the world for that matter.
Type of longevity and consistently competitive run that will never be broken.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Difficult to call a next move.

His MO isn't to go to the dominant club in the land, so you can't imagine him at a Real or Barcelona.
He's been at Dortmund, so would he go to Bayern?
PSG can't see it either.

International manager for Germany? Is he a see the players every couple of months guy? Not sure on that either.

Pick up a Milan or someone in Italy?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Klopp is only 56 to put that into context, Alex Ferguson was 56 in 1998.
Football now is a different world to then, SAF and Wenger were the last 2 of their ilk at top level, if they were that age now they wouldn't be at United or Arsenal for anywhere the time they were in the 2000's

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
2026 WC qualifiers start in march of 2025. I bet he takes a few months off after Liverpool's season is over and is announced as new Germany head coach in late 2024.

Cloud7

2026 WC qualifiers start in march of 2025. I bet he takes a few months off after Liverpool's season is over and is announced as new Germany head coach in late 2024.
It feels a bit early for him to go into full time international management. If he does go back into management I could see him at a club like AC Milan maybe. Either them or Real.

90 + 5min

This sounds entirely reasonable. It just sounds like a man who is at a point in his life where he wants to give some time to things other than working.
I think so to. Maybe he is just fed up with football. Nobody would blame him considering where football is right now. His face, his speech, his voice, pretty much everything just pointing to that. There are other things to do beside football.

tomaldinho1

Real is locked in I reckon. Every manager's dream, he's got a year of Spanish classes to take and then he'll be decent level for basic football coaching.

Zen86

I can’t see him going to Madrid or Bayern. I can’t really see him in Italy, France, or another PL team either. NT maybe?

Josh 76

Can see him being a good fit at Napoli. Very similar fans base to the scousers.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He finished his business in EPL already. After rest his next stop is either La Liga or national coach.