What next for Mourinho?

Patrick08

Look at the spirit of his comments (for those saying he spent 400 million).

He's saying Klopp's team now contains maybe 1 or 2 players he inherited.
He also said Guardiola bought Bravo, saw that it didn't work after one season, then bought Ederson. That's what he meant by those two being backed more. It's not a case of spending money, it's a case of requesting a transfer and getting it quickly (which we seem to dither on).

Nothing wrong with being Jose In/Out and loving Man Utd. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

However, to say that all of our problems are down to his ego is downright obtuse. Yeah, Ole has won 7 games, and i hope he wins 700 more, but he hasn't had to deal with the transfers part yet (requests vs incomings/outgoings)

Jose is a chequebook manager. In some cases he has worked with what he has but for most of his career he's been a chequebook manager, similar to Pep. When you get him, you need to get him every player he wants. Is this the utd way? No, but that was the board's decision wasn't it?

To compare what Jose is saying.
Mendy got injured last year, Pep bought a left back the next day.
Jose wanted Perisic, we dithered for 2 seasons and haggled over 5 million.
He focussed on I dint have this, I dint have that, instead what he should have done is to have a positive attitude and self introspect what he needed to do with the players he already had and get absolute best out of them.

He is whining about not getting 3 players at united, but instead he got 10 of those players he wanted and could not get the best out of 9 of them, with only exception of ibrahimovic.

The top class talents he inherited, he took them sideways or backwards. Getting those 3 or 4 players wouldn't have changed the fortune of 9 others he was misusing with his poor tactics and neither of this club.

Very important players snubbed him and joined other projects with his reputation of playing a certain style all the time, while his man management caused more damage than improve things and build relationships with his players.

Sir alex ruled with iron fists as well but he took players along with him and buy into his methods. Lvg and Jose didn't realize this as their career progressed and are ultimately paying the price.

buckooo1978

Guys don't need to hate him, he still done more in 2 years, more then klopp and Poch combined, on paper at least. He finished 2th, let's see when we are going to finish second again firstly. Also it's very obvious that the players and transfers department let him down this third year. He done is job in those 2 years, winning some trophies, qualifiy for CL, and highest league finish post Fergie. People tend to downplay this achievements. Another type of good striker, not Lukaku and a great CB would have done wonders for Mourinhos team. Lets say a 31 Ibra and Aldeweirde would have brought even better results, despite playing horrible football.

Anyway it was the right choice for the club and mourinho to depart.

I say again, no other manager would have achieved better results in the last 2 years, not even Guardiola. Mourinho got the max he could, on paper.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:absolute nonsense

given the budget Mourinho had for players and wages how can anyone suggest that no one could have done better.

He took a team of players, ranging from excellent to average and failed to get consistently good performances out of any of them.

Transfers you say - he brought in Ibra, Pogba, Mhiki, Lindelof, Bailly, Dalot, Sanchez, Fred, Lukaku and Matic - you could only say from them that Ibra was a success under Mourinho - what gives you any confidence that subsequent signings would have made any difference? 10% of his signings were a success

A month ago we were taken over by Ole - someone you could never call a top manager based on his record at Cardiff and Molde - and he's immediately and undeniably improved all aspects of the football - we are attacking better, we are defending better and we are fun to watch - the squad are happier and the fans are loving it - does this not suggest to you that another manager would have done better

He should have been sacked in the Summer - it was Woodward's biggest mistake after extending his contract in January

Patrick08

I hope he never gets to manage a top club again, but in saying that, I'm probably being too optimistic in human beings and their stupidity. Someone will probably take the ancient one on and regret it. And then some other club again.
He's a damaged brand now. He won't find another drogba, or terry or lampard, or ibrahimovic or Ronaldo or even costa to bail him out in another club until and unless he self introspects and changes his methods .

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ironically people keep on banging about modern this modern that. If ole is successful it's actually a testament of the old and tested method of saf actually works. Instead of some new philosophy created by a modern thinking

Patrick08

Ironically people keep on banging about modern this modern that. If ole is successful it's actually a testament of the old and tested method of saf actually works. Instead of some new philosophy created by a modern thinking
Not every style works with every squad, this squad was not built for his tactics, and he knew that before taking over. He also got players who do not suit his style and kept trying to mould them into something they are not capable of pulling it off.

A manager has to adapt as well, if you use your tools in a wrong way it will damage the tool and also the operator.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
:lol::lol::lol::lol:absolute nonsense

given the budget Mourinho had for players and wages how can anyone suggest that no one could have done better.

He took a team of players, ranging from excellent to average and failed to get consistently good performances out of any of them.

Transfers you say - he brought in Ibra, Pogba, Mhiki, Lindelof, Bailly, Dalot, Sanchez, Fred, Lukaku and Matic - you could only say from them that Ibra was a success under Mourinho - what gives you any confidence that subsequent signings would have made any difference? 10% of his signings were a success

A month ago we were taken over by Ole - someone you could never call a top manager based on his record at Cardiff and Molde - and he's immediately and undeniably improved all aspects of the football - we are attacking better, we are defending better and we are fun to watch - the squad are happier and the fans are loving it - does this not suggest to you that another manager would have done better

He should have been sacked in the Summer - it was Woodward's biggest mistake after extending his contract in January
Its fascinating how no one asks hin why he lost 3 dressing rooms at a row.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's the beauty of SAF, he adapted his method through time, he wasn't stuck with one fit for all method and approach.

youmeletsfly

That's the beauty of SAF, he adapted his method through time, he wasn't stuck with one fit for all method and approach.
SAF adapted rather well to changes and progress. As he once said, the modern football player is no longer an ordinary man, he's millionaire.
That's one of the parts Jose doesn't get, he needs to change his methods a bit and stop expecting the world to change around him just because he says so.

JPRouve

Scout
SAF adapted rather well to changes and progress. As he once said, the modern football player is no longer an ordinary man, he's millionaire.
That's one of the parts Jose doesn't get, he needs to change his methods a bit and stop expecting the world to change around him just because he says so.
On that point, if I'm not mistaken SAF point was that modern footballers aren't motivated by money anymore because they will get it anyway, which means that you need to find an other carrot on your proverbial stick.

Vadim

What on earth is wrong with anyone still defending Mourinho?
Because in modern football, we seem to get these weird fanboys of managers and players.

Fanboys of Messi, Ronaldo, Jose and Pep. It’s just bizarre.

buckooo1978

Its fascinating how no one asks hin why he lost 3 dressing rooms at a row.
the whole episode makes me think that Mourinho's next job could be in politics

it was scarily easily how Mourinho managed to divide the United fans and turn them against the players. He was so blatantly obviously attacking players like Martial, Pogba and Rashford, deflecting blame for himself and a good portion of our fans seemed to eat it up. You've even the likes of Gary Neville jumping on board yet I think he might be biased, eager to jump on Woodward perhaps as a hangover for sacking his brother

Mourinho was like a less ridiculous Trump and to hear people still defend him at United truly baffles me

it just goes to show you that regardless of what is blindingly obvious, and the fact he's lost 3 dressing rooms, Mourinho can still manage to develop and maintain a cult support which hangs on his every word

youmeletsfly

On that point, if I'm not mistaken SAF point was that modern footballers aren't motivated by money anymore because they will get it anyway, which means that you need to find an other carrot on your proverbial stick.
"You can't ever lose control – not when you are dealing with 30 top professionals who are all millionaires. If they misbehave, we fine them, but we keep it indoors. And if anyone steps out of my control, that's them dead."
I don't need to find anything, you just tried to be a bit of a forum french thug and failed, but it's alright.

Vadim

Mourinho is loaded, he can afford to live anywhee in the world. On a huge boat in Monaco, the best apartment in NYC or a country mansion in the south of France.

If I was him I would take early retirement and write a book or something, enjoy the sun, spend time with my wife and create a YouTube channel or something.

These guys are addicted to the highs and lows of football management it seems.

JPRouve

Scout
"You can't ever lose control – not when you are dealing with 30 top professionals who are all millionaires. If they misbehave, we fine them, but we keep it indoors. And if anyone steps out of my control, that's them dead."
I don't need to find anything, you just tried to be a bit of a forum french thug and failed, but it's alright.
You misunderstood my post, by "you" I'm talking about the manager. The manager needs to find an other way to motivate/punish players than money.

devilish

Maybe the interview is scripted, catchy questions banned.
I think so too. Which is silly really. At this point Mou needs the media more then the media needs him. They shouldn't accept to cover a PR role on his behalf

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I think so too. Which is silly really. At this point Mou needs the media more then the media needs him. They shouldn't accept to cover a PR role on his behalf
It's indicative of the same shallow thinking which means he'll likely get another top-level job: 'He's a marquee name"/"He's box office" etc.

Fracture90

I suppose it's a win-win situation, they get him to talk about what happened between the lines, quite vaguely and he gets the limelight to continue with his excuses.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Mourinho is loaded, he can afford to live anywhee in the world. On a huge boat in Monaco, the best apartment in NYC or a country mansion in the south of France.

If I was him I would take early retirement and write a book or something, enjoy the sun, spend time with my wife and create a YouTube channel or something.

Create a youtube channel :lol: ? I would give seminars tbh, easy money there

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Because in modern football, we seem to get these weird fanboys of managers and players.

Fanboys of Messi, Ronaldo, Jose and Pep. It’s just bizarre.
Some Man Utd fans on twitter still have Mourinho as their display picture or in the handle. It's bizzare.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It’s funny because the “shit” Bayern knocked his “record breaking” Real Madrid team out of the Champions League.
And it's the same era that he won his Inter treble in, against us in the CL final. I bet if you ask him about that directly, 2010 Bayern weren't all that shit. (We actually were, though :lol:)
2011/2012 Bayern were already a lot stronger than that, but Dortmund were superb. They set a grand new points record in the Bundesliga with 81 points, only to have it pulverized by our famous 12/13 campaign.

FujiVice

He's spent to much time as Mr Big Bollocks in football to do that. His ego is huge. It'll drive him on to want to became a success again. But by the same token, will his ego allow him to adapt, like Ferguson did?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Some Man Utd fans on twitter still have Mourinho as their display picture or in the handle. It's bizzare.
When he begins to fail, he takes advantage of supporters' pre-existing discontent with a club's structure/regime in order to obscure his failure. It isn't the first time he's done this either - no doubt some Real ultras still believe that serial careerist Jose Mourinho had Madrid's best interests at heart; they've been tricked.

It's depressingly easy to lead the public by the nose...as our politicians and newspapers routinely prove.

minoo-utd

Manager should contain " players of these days " like he says. A successful manager should at least get the best out of his players by motivating them and don't publicly attack them every now and then, He should have at least lowed his fecking ego before talking about players he had and the club was not supporting him enough. Typical Jose, always blame every thing that moves but him self.

devilish

I suppose it's a win-win situation, they get him to talk about what happened between the lines, quite vaguely and he gets the limelight to continue with his excuses.
Getting Mourinho on board must have costed them a bomb and all they got was a PR exercise were Mou speaks about how United lack structure, how they lied to him and how great he is because he won trophies. They might as well spared the money and brought Gary Neville instead. He'll pretty much say the same thing.

I find that journalists in the North part of Europe tend to treat managers with kids gloves. He wouldn't get away with it so easily in Spain or Italy. They would have compared his expenditure with that of Spurs/Liverpool, they would ask him how come he lost 3 successive dressing rooms and would then commented that Ole is doing way better then him despite having pretty much the same team at his disposal.

GM K

It's between emotions and logic. You saw horrible football, I saw some achievements. But do you agree that he got max results and achievements for the club in the last 2 years, and I am not talking about this third year? Do you agree that no other manager would have achieved more then mourinho in his first 2 seasons here?
I was being sarcastic. I agree with you. I think Jose deserves a lot of criticisms but I also think balanced analysis should bring us to a point where we admit his achievements no matter how insignificant we think they are. I am also continually baffled by those who think you shouldn't like him at all and if you do, you are certainly not a United fan. That's ridiculous. As much as there are those who swing to the extreme of worshipping him and seeing no wrong in anything he does, there is also the other extreme of those obsessed with hating on him and seeing nothing good in him. I admire those who look at things objectively despite what their personal feelings might be about Jose or any other manager, football player or even club. I have been a football fan for decades and one thing I have noticed is the tendency of fans to drift to extremes and become unreasonable. For instance in the Messi vs Ronaldo debate, I cringe when fans of Messi say Ronaldo should never even be mentioned in the GOAT conversation. Or vice versa. How does that make sense? No matter what you feel about those two, their records make a very solid case for them to at least earn some respect. Cristiano may be a prick to you but you can't argue against his numbers and trophies.
You don't like Jose, fair enough. There are too many things not to like about him. But to say he is a fraud makes little sense because even if an argument can be made that his best days are behind him, his records, numbers and trophies still put him in the class of the all time greats. And he still too United to 2nd one season ago while winning the Europa just two seasons ago. His arrogance and disruptive nature not withstanding.

This is how I like to look at football and life generally. But again, I guess we are all different and let's face it, the tendency of we fans to hold extreme views is part of what makes the game exciting. So, as contradictory as I might sound, long may it continue.

devilish

It's indicative of the same shallow thinking which means he'll likely get another top-level job: 'He's a marquee name"/"He's box office" etc.
Weeeeeellll its too early to say. Pundits are pundits. All they care about is audience + most are failed managers in the first place so they sympathise with the man. Owners are different. A typical owner injects millions in the club, year in year out and would probably not like hearing about a manager who doesn't care about communication and who thinks that he's well entitled to change the entire squad + to buy a player only to ask for a replacement few months later. Don't take me wrong, I think Mou will get his last chance on top. However, he will find himself micromanaged, with people dictating which signings he's going to make and who would be very attentive to sack him just in case he loses the dressing room again.

devilish

the whole episode makes me think that Mourinho's next job could be in politics

it was scarily easily how Mourinho managed to divide the United fans and turn them against the players. He was so blatantly obviously attacking players like Martial, Pogba and Rashford, deflecting blame for himself and a good portion of our fans seemed to eat it up. You've even the likes of Gary Neville jumping on board yet I think he might be biased, eager to jump on Woodward perhaps as a hangover for sacking his brother

Mourinho was like a less ridiculous Trump and to hear people still defend him at United truly baffles me

it just goes to show you that regardless of what is blindingly obvious, and the fact he's lost 3 dressing rooms, Mourinho can still manage to develop and maintain a cult support which hangs on his every word
The problem with United is that we had the same top manager for the nearly 3 decades. Everyone from fans right to former players had been used to have the god of man management managing us and have absolutely no idea how to identify let alone tackle someone as toxic as Mourinho. The fact that Gaz had failed as manager and saw his brother sacked after Moyes departure didn't helped

I particularly liked Paul Scholes response to Mourinho's interview. As he said, its evident that Mourinho was orchestrating his way out. Now its time for him to try and shift his blame on us and start anew

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/man-utd-mourinho-scholes-news-15692424

Rolaholic

Yea I've also seen that a lot but those are more Jose fanboys than United fans. No self respecting United fan would be bitching and complaining about 7 wins on the bounce and slating the players for how bad it's made Jose look.

Jose is bigger than the club for those 'fans' and they can't revel in our present success due to some warped sense of loyalty to a rival clubs legend.

How United supporters can still be steadfast in their support of a man who spat in the face of the clubs traditions and loved to big up himself at the expense of the club will always be beyond me.

2004-2010 Jose I could understand why he'd have such an unwavering following but the current bitter iteration of Jose is a total husk of that prime version that has very little redeemable qualities to him. Not sure how he can still command such loyalty but I say the same thing about Trump supporters so I guess it's not as outlandish as it would seem,people have been attracted to much worse

Last edited:

Kapardin

Yea I've also seen that a lot but those are more Jose fanboys than United fans. No self respecting United fan would be bitching and complaining about 7 wins on the bounce and slating the players for how bad it's made Jose look.

Jose is bigger than the club for those 'fans' and they can't revel in our present success due to some warped sense of loyalty to a rival clubs legend
Putting myself in their shoes, it must be torture for them to know Mourinho will never manage United again and yet hoping for us to lose every game if we keep Ole or hire Poch who they deem to be inferior managers. A sense of hopelessness like we experienced during LvG's second season or Jose this season.