What next for Mourinho?

Saffron

Yes he (Mourinho) wanted to go back to Chelsea
Keep on deluding yourself then. You really think that was a completely unilateral decision? I’ll be laughing when Zidane resigns again and Mou manages in China while Madrid won’t touch him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Keep on deluding yourself then. You really think that was a completely unilateral decision? I’ll be laughing when Zidane resigns again and Mou manages in China while Madrid won’t touch him.
How am I deluding myself I'm hardly a Mourinho believer? And well done for showing you're like so many who cant hold an adult conversation without throwing out an insult :rolleyes:

Champagne Football

His ego convinced him that if he could get himself sacked at Utd, that the likes of Juve and Madrid would be on their hands and knees begging for him to work for them.

Now that that didn't come even close to happening, his ego will convince him that China is now the best place to be. He'll manage a team there that has 10 times more cash than anyone, and we'll never hear the end of all the trophies he has won in China, everytime he does an interview with the European media.

Saffron

How am I deluding myself I'm hardly a Mourinho believer? And well done for showing you're like so many who cant hold an adult conversation without throwing out an insult :rolleyes:
And yet you believe every little word he says about leaving Madrid? Of course he would like everyone to believe they were clawing at him as he went out the door. The fact is he had just had a terrible season and Madrid officially called it a mutual decision.

Mutual decision directly implies the employer has nothing against letting the employee go.

charlenefan

And yet you believe every little word he says about leaving Madrid? Of course he would like everyone to believe they were clawing at him as he went out the door. The fact is he had just had a terrible season and Madrid officially called it a mutual decision.

Mutual decision directly implies the employer has nothing against letting the employee go.
Indeed it does so he wasn't sacked then was he

He wanted to leave, Real were happy for him to go ergo it was a mutual decision. It's pure speculation as to what would have happened had he wanted to stay in Madrid

Canagel

All his fanboys thought madrid, chelsea and so forth would be frothing at the mouth to take him and that would show us ungrateful non believers how wrong we were to ever have wanted him out or said he’s finished :lol:

Damaged goods. A nothing manager in modern football. The perfect example of a dinosaur who will always have his fans among the older folks on the caf. They too refuse to adapt to change and to add an extra bit of useful information, I call them mini-mo(u)’s.
This.

AJ10

Thing that still irritates me is how a WC manager could not see we needed RB/CB*2 who would improve us instantly. First 2 seasons our board would have let him spend stupid amount of money on defenders but for some reason he chose 2 CBs who had potential and jose doesn't have patience with potential.

He made some baffling decisions with our defence, Its even more disappointing as he's brilliant when it comes to defence.

Saffron

Indeed it does so he wasn't sacked then was he

He wanted to leave, Real were happy for him to go ergo it was a mutual decision. It's pure speculation as to what would have happened had he wanted to stay in Madrid
Maybe I worded it poorly but I still think you’re being a bit naive if you think that was a unilateral decision by Mou and Madrid just agreed to it. No writing on the wall after losing the league by 15 points and crashing out of the CL against an underdog? No writing on the wall after losing the dressing room?

charlenefan

Maybe I worded it poorly but I still think you’re being a bit naive if you think that was a unilateral decision by Mou and Madrid just agreed to it. No writing on the wall after losing the league by 15 points and crashing out of the CL against an underdog? No writing on the wall after losing the dressing room?
I think it's a situation (him leaving) that suited both. Like I said it's pure speculation as to what would have happened had he wanted to stay in Madrid

Saffron

I think it's a situation (him leaving) that suited both. Like I said it's pure speculation as to what would have happened had he wanted to stay in Madrid
And yet he signed a contract extension in the summer of 2012. So much for him wanting to leave then. But you’re right, his sudden wish to go to Chelsea just happened to coincide with the terrible 2012/2013 season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's not. For him to continue Casillas and Ramos would have had to leave, and we had no intention of doing that. Hence why he was happy to leave

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Thing that still irritates me is how a WC manager could not see we needed RB/CB*2 who would improve us instantly. First 2 seasons our board would have let him spend stupid amount of money on defenders but for some reason he chose 2 CBs who had potential and jose doesn't have patience with potential.

He made some baffling decisions with our defence, Its even more disappointing as he's brilliant when it comes to defence.
Well, he wasn't WC and hadn't been since 2010, managers aren't eternal they all decline at some point that's why someone as great as Capello, Lippi or even Trappatoni weren't considered WC during the latter stage of their careers.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
All I needed to see was 'richest man in China' to know that Mourinho will take the gig. His managerial nous is no longer sufficient or relevant. He will only go for financially backed clubs or one team leagues now. He will never take on a real challenge. He should just call it a day.

He was probably banking on clubs lining up for his services but he's a has-been now. He had probably his best opportunity at United and he fecked it up.

United_We_Stand

Mourinho rejected the job, because it is understood he did not wish cause to his family upheaval by moving to China.
Mourinho is also not interested in international management, preferring a return to the club game when the right opportunity arises.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Looks like he's gonna be out for a while then now that Super Frank has got the London gig.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Would you say this is the biggest decline by a manager ever?

Wenger's fall from grace was bit by bit over the course of 14 years, Mourinho (while he lost his edge a bit) was still winning league's as recently as 4 years ago.

Wenger's fall from grace was bit by bit over the course of 14 years, Mourinho (while he lost his edge a bit) was still winning league's as recently as 4 years ago.
*cough* Arrigo Sacchi *cough*
The highest of highs to the lowest of lows.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout

No, Capello had a similar decline.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not really. Capello's last club gig in europe involved winning la liga

Although saying, that, Mourinho's decline is overblown. Doubt he's suddenly become shit, more likely his methods might no longer work at a big club, but that had been going on for a few years...

Greck

To those mentioning Juve it hasn't even been up to a year he brutally taunted their fans in their stadium when we ended their run. I'm sure those bygones haven't yet gone by for them

Saffron

To those mentioning Juve it hasn't even been up to a year he brutally taunted their fans in their stadium when we ended their run. I'm sure those bygones haven't yet gone by for them
Juve just sacked a good manager because he was too defensive. Inter just appointed another manager and they’re levels below Juve. He was never going to Juve with or without the taunt.

R'hllor

Maybe it would be best for him to just chill next whole year even two, there are plenty of goldfishes out there, in time they will forget and he can present himself as fully recharged, reformed person. If he goes against himself and adapt, change his ways a bit, he could finish on high note but somehow i doubt he is able to purge himself of being a classless cnut.

JPRouve

Scout
Not really. Capello's last club gig in europe involved winning la liga

Although saying, that, Mourinho's decline is overblown. Doubt he's suddenly become shit, more likely his methods might no longer work at a big club, but that had been going on for a few years...
For me the only difference is that Capello understood that he was done and went to NT football while Mourinho tried a little bit more. At Madrid even with the title, he was already past it and watching Madrid was close to torture.

Saffron

For me the only difference is that Capello understood that he was done and went to NT football while Mourinho tried a little bit more. At Madrid even with the title, he was already past it and watching Madrid was close to torture.
How sought after do you think he was in the summer of 2013? Chelsea hiring someone doesn’t really say much considering the dross Abramovich brought through the years. Same goes for United sadly.

Bonus question: how sought after was he in 2016?

JPRouve

Scout
How sought after do you think he was in the summer of 2013? Chelsea hiring someone doesn’t really say much considering the dross Abramovich brought through the years. Same goes for United sadly.

Bonus question: how sought after was he in 2016?
I have no idea.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe. Capello was older than Mou at the time, too. And also kind of surpassed by that point. Still good in Italy but his ideas only worked here. In Madrid we won the league more because barcelona bottled it than anything, we weren't very good

JPRouve

Scout
Maybe. Capello was older than Mou at the time, too. And also kind of surpassed by that point. Still good in Italy but his ideas only worked here. In Madrid we won the league more because barcelona bottled it than anything, we weren't very good
The first part is kind of irrelevant because Mourinho started his managing career in his mid 30s and reached the top sooner, when Capello got his first serious job at 45. And the point is about how fast they declined I personally take it as the the lapse of time between their top and when they were considered done by many. From memory Capello was still considered like one of the best when he was at Juventus and it basically took a couple of years, Madrid included to see people ignore him. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Jib

I tought he was a virus but this guy seems to be a cancer. Crazy how all the big clubs are avoiding him. Truely finished. He should go to China, at least he can still earn a lot of money.

And now he can't even blame Pogba, what a sad end for a guy who was the best manager in the world 15 years ago.

Saffron

I tought he was a virus but this guy seems to be a cancer. Crazy how all the big clubs are avoiding him. Truely finished. He should go to China, at least he can still earn a lot of money.

And now he can't even blame Pogba, what a sad end for a guy who was the best manager in the world 15 years ago.
Eh, I’d say SAF was better.

That Chelsea squad is still the most expensive squad ever when adjusted for inflation, and it wasn’t even assembled by him. Ranieri did most of the work. The squad was so good it kept on coasting on auto-pilot and reached a CL final and almost won the league under Avram Grant. Mou failed in 3 straight CLs with arguably the best squad in the world and went out to Liverpool twice.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Brian Clough

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF

Of the last 10 years, yes. But before him there have been bigger and equally sudden falls: Sacchi, Cruyff, Jacquet, Hiztfield, Capello, etc

Last edited:

Eddy_JukeZ

Nah it was the 3rd season with Real when he started to become past it.

Real Madrid were pretty good under Jose their 2nd season.

haram

When he won the league with Madrid they played excellent football.