What now for Dortmund (and the Bundesliga)?

RooneyLegend

First of all there are contracts that guarantee wages which can't simply be broken. Secondly, had they kept Lewandowski and Götze via paying them €10m each next thing they know is Hummels, Gündogan and Reus come knocking for similar fees. Then you're at €50m out of a €70-80m budget just for 5 players out of a 20+ player squad. I'd like to see a functioning team where 5 players earn €10m each and 15 players around 10% of that. What you're so boldly claiming is ignorant of financial realities to a "let them eat cake" level.
Let alone that both Lewandowski and Götze supposedly earn more than that at Bayern and that from what his agents said publicly, the Pole would've gone either way.

Do you even know how much squad players earn at Dortmund?
Selling players isn't all that hard nowadays. There always seems to be someone interested and dortmund wages aren't so big that its hard to sell players.

It works in basketball can't see why it won't work in football. A Star player in basketball often earns 25 % of the teams wages. Look at Leicester putting their best foot forward to keep vardy, kante and Mahrez.

Should be a lot considering they have a 100 euro wage bill without really paying top wages. Who are they giving that money too then? Has to be going to the squad.

Lewa cost them money cause he left for free, then they spent money buying strikers(immobile and Ramos). That money they basically threw away could've been used to temp lewa to stay instead as he's a bonafide star. Giving him a 5 year 50mill euro contract is better than losing for free and spending 20 mill on mediocrity don't you think?

Btw I'm pretty sure they don't get paid 10 mil a year at bayern.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Selling players isn't all that hard nowadays. There always seems to be someone interested and dortmund wages aren't so big that its hard to sell players.

It works in basketball can't see why it won't work in football. A Star player in basketball often earns 25 % of the teams wages. Look at Leicester putting their best foot forward to keep vardy, kante and Mahrez.

Should be a lot considering they have a 100 euro wage bill without really paying top wages. Who are they giving that money too then? Has to be going to the squad.

Lewa cost them money cause he left for free, then they spent money buying strikers(immobile and Ramos). That money they basically threw away could've been used to temp lewa to stay instead as he's a bonafide star. Giving him a 5 year 50mill euro contract is better than losing for free and spending 20 mill on mediocrity don't you think?

Where do you get that €100m number from? Dortmund's financial report for 12/13 lists their wage expenses with €71m for 11/12 and €96m for 12/13, but that includes literally every single person employed by the club and all performance related bonus payments (like winning the double in 11/12 and reaching the CL final in 12/13), so their regular wage budget was much lower than that. Also €12m p.a. for Götze has been reported by about every single paper in Germany by now, I haven't looked up the reports on Lewandowski, but considering his quality/form and that supposedly most major clubs wanted him badly that year I doubt that he's far behind.
But it's nice to know how little information you need for you business plan.

Your logic also assumes that deals happen in a vaccuum, if one top player gets a ridiculous wage hike then the other top players will want a rise too and then the "good but not great" players, who could earn more elsewhere come asking next.

Nanook

Isn't there only like 12 basketball players per team and only 5 on the court at one time? I know nothing about basketball but one great player probably makes a bigger difference to a team than a great football player would.

Dortmund like a lot of Bundesliga clubs have massive operational costs.

€140m in 14/15, about the same as Real Madrid but Dortmund have half their revenue. In the same season Leicester's was just €12million.

Last edited:

Stacks

3 years ago I've said that Bayern Munich will win the league 9 times in the next 10 years......i was wrong.....they will win it 10 times in 10 years :)
Makes you wonder how even the most hardcore bundesliga fan can even fight this argument that it's a one team league....

When your top rival is losing players right and left to other teams and to the best team in Germany....

Bayern and PSG are monopolies in their respective league. Juventus as well, however, with the new investments in serie a, juventus has a better chance losing the title than either psg or bayern
Spoke to a Bayern fan this year who was getting bored of it...
So long as teams can run them close then its fine. Remember for 10 years Man Utd had a monopoly. Blackburn (1) and Arsenal (2) were the outliers. We didn't criticise Ferguson too much for not reaching Semi's of Champions League every year and we had a strong team. But for the sugar daddy clubs like chelsea and later City, most likely it would be the same. Germany needs a sugar daddy investor to shake things up at the top, but I think it isn't allowed.

The rivals losing players bit, sounds like Arsenal to me

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
So our transfers seem to be done on the incoming-side. Will have some more leavings but they are not so important like the fact that on the incoming side we are ready.

Out:

Gündogan
Mkhitaryan
Hummels

for somewhat about 100-110 Mio €.

In:

Rode (Fc Bayern)
Merino (Ossasuna)
Götze (Fc Bayern)
Schürrle (Wolfsburg)
Dembele (Rennes)
Mor (Denmark cant spell the name of the club)
Raphael (Lorient)
Bartra (Fc Barcelona)

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Thoughts on the Schürrle signing?
Difficult. Questionmarks over the head. But i trust Tuchel, he wouldnt want him if he would have no plan. Maybe Schürrle should be a striker, and Ramos is leaving. Cause with him, our squad is a little bit overcrowded in the front to be sure that our great youth prospects Pulisic,Mor,Dembele (i see Passlack for on the RB spot) can shine.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
For a while Dortmund were everyones second team. It certainly felt like it anyway. With a lovely style of football and some great players making a name for tnemsleves, they were an inspiration to "second teir" teams.

However there club captain is now off to their rivals Bayern Munich. He is the third player in four years to make the switch. As well as this former Bayern manager Pep has now poached Gundogan for his City project. Both players were integral to Dortmund and have gone for a combined 20 million. With one year left on his contract Henrikh Mkhitaryan has now been strongly linked with a move away.

Is this going to be the end of the Dortmund project? Their best players poached by the financial superiority of the Premier League or by title winning Bayern?

If their players do start to wander how will this effect the Bundesliga? Can any team challenge Bayern???
Looking at the Bundesliga table today and it reminded me of this thread. Dortmund are 18 points away from Bayern

It doesn't look like there is anyone capable of challenging Bayern in the Bundesliga in future seasons. Will be interesting how it develops

Blackwidow

Looking at the Bundesliga table today and it reminded me of this thread. Dortmund are 18 points away from Bayern

It doesn't look like there is anyone capable of challenging Bayern in the Bundesliga in future seasons. Will be interesting how it develops
Does not tell anything about the future. Bayern was very lucky with injuries this season - and they are very consistent. That is what you cannot say about Dortmund. They show sparks - especially in offense - but they do not have the compactness and consistency Bayern has.

And maybe it is that special hunger for success that the Bayern players have (or the hate to loose) - and that every little failure (and that does not even mean a loss but a hard fought win) of them makes bigger waves in the media than if Dortmund looses 3 matches in a row...

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Does not tell anything about the future. Bayern was very lucky with injuries this season - and they are very consistent. That is what you cannot say about Dortmund. They show sparks - especially in offense - but they do not have the compactness and consistency Bayern has.

And maybe it is that special hunger for success that the Bayern players have (or the hate to loose) - and that every little failure (and that does not even mean a loss but a hard fought win) of them makes bigger waves in the media than if Dortmund looses 3 matches in a row...
Bayern's locker room/club mentality certainly is special, but Dortmund's team is also very young. While the performance level of players like Dembele, Weigl, Pulisic and Guerreiro is already impressive, they'll probably get more and more consistent with growing experience. Both individually and as a unit.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Weird moment to bump the thread. The biggest chunk of that difference was established months ago, before the winter break.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I don't think Dortmunds future has looked as good as it does now for the past few years. They've signed some top young talents that have all pushed on quite well this season and it's looking like they'll bring in a few more in the summer with players like Dahoud already agreeing to join.

The challenge now is how long they can keep hold of them for and not losing too many of the more experienced players in the summer.