What now for Dortmund (and the Bundesliga)?

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Dortmund's Head of Youth Development Ricken confirmed today that Orel Mangala is on his way to our U23s.

He's supposedly very gifted but I don't know anything about him, I don't even know what type of player he is (other than that he plays in central midfield).

Lorient's boss also confirmed that they came to an agreement with Dortmund regarding the sale of Guerreiro, so he'll probably be announced soon as well. He's supposedly a left back that loves to attack and is strong on the ball (technically gifted, good crossing), but is prone to getting exposed defensively because his positioning apparently isn't the best.

That would make him the 6th transfer made for our senior team, crazy.
Guerreiro is an important transfer for me.
we need more power on the left side.

great that all these transfers are done so early.
the question now is, who is about to leave?

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
According to BILD....Reus has also a tendon rupture in his groin......likely that he's out for 6-7 months now.
god feckin' dammit. btw what about the apparent departure of mkhitaryan then? i can really see them force him to stay another season against his will now. feck me. what is this shite!

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
god feckin' dammit. btw what about the apparent departure of mkhitaryan then? i can really see them force him to stay another season against his will now. feck me. what is this shite!
Hier der BILD+ Artikel

BILD erfuhr: Der Nationalspieler hat sich beim Pokal-Finale gegen Bayern (22. Mai/ 3:4 n.E.) neben einer Schambein-Entzündung auch noch einen tiefen Sehneneinriss in den Adduktoren zugezogen.

Professor Dr. Ingo Froböse von der Sporthochschule Köln zu BILD: „Wenn man eine chronische Schambein-Entzündung inklusive eines Sehnen-Einrisses in den Adduktoren richtig ausheilen möchte, ist eine Ausfall-Zeit von 6-7 Monaten durchaus realistisch!“

Froböse weiter: „Wenn ich mir die Krankenakte von Reus anschaue, liegt die Vermutung nahe, dass Marco in der Zukunft dringend noch intensiver als andere an der Athletik arbeiten sollte...“

Wie geht‘s mit Reus jetzt weiter?
Noch rund einen Monat lang muss sich der BVB-Star komplett schonen. Danach soll eine Computer-Tomographie entscheiden, wie sein Reha-Plan exakt gestaltet wird.

Nicklas

Great! I hope you'll be able to build a strong team again after the departure of Gundogan and Hummels, it does seem like that anyways. You've added Dembele, Mor and Guerreiro now, who's next?

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Great! I hope you'll be able to build a strong team again after the departure of Gundogan and Hummels, it does seem like that anyways. You've added Dembele, Mor and Guerreiro now, who's next?
There are more:

Dembele
Bartra
Mor
Rode
Merino
Guerreiro

Whos next is a good question. Think, if there is a record-bid for Micki we could sell him and buy a replacement. But thats very hypothetically. Replacements could be: Götze,Isco, i dont know...
If Micki stays, i think that we are finished with the transfers for now. (Cause my opinion is that we dont buy a "direct replacement" for Gündogan)

Last edited:

Nicklas

That's a really good summer for you so far, and we're only halfway through June! Do you know how much you've spend so far? And how much you've received?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Nicklas

According to transfermarkt:
Rode €14m
Guerreiro €12m
Emre Mor €9.5m (afaik it's supposedly €7m + €1.5m in potential bonus payments)
Dembele €8m (supposedly up to €15m with bonus payments)
Bartra €8m
Merino €4m

So a total of €55m (€61m) spent and €65m (Hummels €38m, Gündogan €27m) on the income side, though keep in mind that's before taxes and everything.

I woulnd't be surprised if that's the end of their transfer dealings for now. Their squad is quite bloated in terms of numbers atm and I imagine their focus will shift towards selling some of their squad players: I think Leitner, Subotic and Park will be leaving for sure, Ramos and Ginter wouldn't surprise me either, though they still have their uses and Sahin might leave if he wants to have a first team spot.

They are currently being linked with Mustafi, Toprak, Schürrle (:houllier:), Götze and Kovacic.

Last edited:

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Dortmund just bought two of the best young dribblers out there in this transfer window.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Dortmund doing some great business.
Dortmund just bought two of the best young dribblers out there in this transfer window.
And this ability of them to find and draw promising new players everytime they have to let someone go is why I think the doom and gloom concerning Dortmund is overdone here. Who had heard of Mkhitaryan or Aubameyang before they got them?

3KDré

Wow Dortmund could have a great team on their hands in a few years. Some solid Shrewd buys, except for Barta who doesn't seem to be that good.

NoLogo

Wow Dortmund could have a great team on their hands in a few years. Some solid Shrewd buys, except for Barta who doesn't seem to be that good.
I agree. They brought in some really good talent but they lost some of the best players in the league in their position which will surely hurt them at least for a season or two but I guess they will still qualify for CL football. Hope they will come good though.

Also I wonder if they will ever be able to close the financial gap to the top teams in Europe and how long it will take them.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Official | Raphaël Guerreiro joins Borussia Dortmund
German giants Borussia Dortmund have announced the signing of Portuguese international Raphaël Guerreiro from FC Lorient for an undisclosed fee believed to be worth €12m plus bonuses.

Guerreiro underwent a medical in Paris yesterday and has penned a four year deal with BVB.

NYC

Dortmund did good business with young players, however, bayern going to win the league for the next few seasons unless they are decimated by injuries or have a player revolt....

Bayern is like Juventus and PSG, just too good for the rest of the league... However, I would think that Juventus has the best chance of losing their throne first.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
"I can rule out that three players of their calibre will all leave at once," Watzke told Bild.

"It should be our goal to bring in a player of the same level if someone leaves us on a free transfer in 2017. We will make that happen."

Both Hummels and Gundogan have been linked with a move to the Premier League in the past, but Watzke does not think England is the preferred destination for top players any longer.

"The absolute star players do not necessarily go to England," he added.

-------------

Just thought I'd bump this thread with this quote from Watzke, who is the CEO of this Dortmund side. With Auba recently saying it his dream to play in Spain, Dortmund have lot an abundance of talent this summer.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In 1 window they have lost Hummels, Gundogan, Mkhitaryan (definitely happening). Life sucks sometimes.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
In 1 window they have lost Hummels, Gundogan, Mkhitaryan (definitely happening). Life sucks sometimes.
Maybe Dortmund should change their selling strategy. They held on to their players until the contract was down to one year (Kagawa, Hummels, Gündogan, Mikhitaryan) or even until it was up (Lewandowski). Rarely and only in special circumstances (Gündogan, Hummels 2012) did they suceed in renewing the contract, so in most cases they lost the player anyway, but lost huge sums of money as well with that decision. They tried to prevent being seen as a feeder club for the big clubs, while reality proved otherwise. Perhaps they should base their strategy on this experience.

Atlético is an example for a club that managed to get to the very top as a seller club and stay there. Early contract renewals, large transfer fees, a clear tactical system (which Dortmund has too) and excellent scouting (which Dortmund has too as well). And now Atlético is much less in need to sell than it was before.

So why not act like this: contract renewal 2 years before the contract expires or transfer for a huge amount of money. Dortmund also refuses to include buyout clauses in contracts, but very high ones may be a good idea, as Gladbach have proven with Xhaka. At least if you don't care admitting that selling is part of your plans, which seems to be the main problem here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm only surprised by Hummels, the other two were predictable and Dortmund got enough money to replace all of them with real quality.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Maybe Dortmund should change their selling strategy. They held on to their players until the contract was down to one year (Kagawa, Hummels, Gündogan, Mikhitaryan) or even until it was up (Lewandowski). Rarely and only in special circumstances (Gündogan, Hummels 2012) did they suceed in renewing the contract, so in most cases they lost the player anyway, but lost huge sums of money as well with that decision. They tried to prevent being seen as a feeder club for the big clubs, while reality proved otherwise. Perhaps they should base their strategy on this experience.

Atlético is an example for a club that managed to get to the very top as a seller club and stay there. Early contract renewals, large transfer fees, a clear tactical system (which Dortmund has too) and excellent scouting (which Dortmund has too as well). And now Atlético is much less in need to sell than it was before.

So why not act like this: contract renewal 2 years before the contract expires or transfer for a huge amount of money. Dortmund also refuses to include buyout clauses in contracts, but very high ones may be a good idea, as Gladbach have proven with Xhaka. At least if you don't care admitting that selling is part of your plans, which seems to be the main problem here.
I just think it's impossible. Athletico have managed to do it yet, but I think that strategy can only last so long. I think the problem is once a bigger club with more money come along these smaller clubs will lose out no matter what.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

They also extended the contracts of Reus and Aubameyang.

And I don't think Atletico made that much more money by selling their players anyway. Out of their regular starters in the last 2 years Arda Turan was sold for 34m Euro, Diego Costa for 38m, Filipe Luis for 20m. You could also add Jackson Martinez to it, but it's a bit difficult to see a transfer to China after only 6 months as a regular deal, so I'd leave it out of it. The numbers overall aren't that much higher than what Dortmund got this year for Hummels and Mkhitaryan.

Xhaka didn't have a buyout clause this summer by the way. He had a cheap one that could have been triggered next summer but Arsenal bought him out of his contract this year instead.

JPRouve

Scout
I just think it's impossible. Athletico have managed to do it yet, but I think that strategy can only last so long. I think the problem is once a bigger club with more money come along these smaller clubs will lose out no matter what.
Michael Owen must be proud, somewhere.:p

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
They also extended the contracts of Reus and Aubameyang.

And I don't think Atletico made that much more money by selling their players anyway. Out of their regular starters in the last 2 years Arda Turan was sold for 34m Euro, Diego Costa for 38m, Filipe Luis for 20m. You could also add Jackson Martinez to it, but it's a bit difficult to see a transfer to China after only 6 months as a regular deal, so I'd leave it out of it. The numbers overall aren't that much higher than what Dortmund got this year for Hummels and Mkhitaryan.

Xhaka didn't have a buyout clause this summer by the way. He had a cheap one that could have been triggered next summer but Arsenal bought him out of his contract this year instead.
Ah okay, got a couple of things wrong then. So do you think the current strategy of holding on until (almost) the last moment works better for them? Overall they are certainly in a good situation, that's for sure - I didn't want to imply something else.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Ah okay, got a couple of things wrong then. So do you think the current strategy of holding on until (almost) the last moment works better for them? Overall they are certainly in a good situation, that's for sure - I didn't want to imply something else.
They can't finance wages with transfer income or they certainly don't want to do that, because it's not sustainable and it might force you to sell players that would be happy to stay at one point if your wage bill gets too big. Considering their financial history in the middle of the 00's, that's perfectly reasonable way of running the club. Therefore Dortmund's growth is limited by the growth of their real revenue (the one without transfer income as it's usually stated in Deloitte's football money league for example). Obviously it sucks that they lost 3 important players, but without a sugardaddy the way to establish yourself as an elite club that doesn't lose top players often is long and hard. They need at least another 5-10 years of continued success to get anywhere near that.

Letting players leave on a free is far from great of course, but keeping them an additional year instead of selling them for the maximum possible can be a smart decision. For example, let's say they sold Hummels and Mkhitaryan last summer when they had failed to qualify for the CL. They might have made more money because of the different contract situation, but considering the poor seasons both had, maybe not. Even if we assume they would have made 50m of each, it's really not that much more. But it would have been a significant sign of weakness, Dortmund would have struggled to attract top talents without CL on offer and without proving that they can bounce back and still have a great team with a great manager.

It's really a huge grey area, not black and white. You have to look at every transfer individually, possible replacements and also look at the mentality of the player and if he still performs well when forced to stay a year longer than he wanted to.

Blackwidow

I'm only surprised by Hummels, the other two were predictable and Dortmund got enough money to replace all of them with real quality.
I am not surprised by the Hummels move. He probably did not get around with Tuchel very good.

Jammydodger7

You'd swear this is a Dortmund forum with the ridiculous over reaction because someone asked a legitimate question about their future! Get a grip!

Its a fair question, not only do they sell their best players every season, they sell them to their biggest title rivals, creating a bigger gap. Yes they're still the second best club in Germany but they've gone from winning the league to being nowhere near challenging for it! They're the equivalent of Aberdeen in the SPL, finishing second but were never gonna win it! So they are in fact already starting to see the results of selling their best players.

They've been lucky that others have stepped up from youths and some of their signings have worked but that is a gamble, signings don't always work out like you'd think, look at di Maria and Falcao for example!

People using their revenue as a reason why they will remain successful, a lot of that revenue will be gone as soon as they start struggling and all the hipsters start falling in love with the next up and coming club.

My opinion is that if they keep selling their best players every year for less than what they're worth then eventually the players they buy to replace them won't workout and Dortmund will be fighting it out in mid table.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
My opinion is that if they keep selling their best players every year for less than what they're worth then eventually the players they buy to replace them won't workout and Dortmund will be fighting it out in mid table.
They buy the best players of other German CL clubs as replacements along with some of the biggest young talents in Europe. They've bought Leverkusen's best player last summer despite finishing way below them in the league. They signed Reus when Gladbach finished 3rd, have apparently already agreed to sign Leverkusen's best defender next season on a cheap release clause as a replacement for Hummels. Their main targets to replace Mkhitaryan are Bellarabi and Schürrle, important attackers of the clubs in the tier below them in the league.

Why would Dortmund fall behind clubs that have less money and sell their players to them? It's as likely as Bayern falling behind Dortmund for an extended period of time. It might happen once in a while or even twice, but not longterm unless the club is seriously mismanaged.

JPRouve

Scout
Hummels and Mkhitaryan have been sold for what they are worth, Gundogan was never going to be sold for his worth because of his injury. Also selling players earlier means that you need to replace them at a faster speed which means that you don't get to see the best of them and therefore won't get the best fees.

If Dortmund had sold Mkhitaryan last summer, they would have got half of what they could have this season.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You'd swear this is a Dortmund forum with the ridiculous over reaction because someone asked a legitimate question about their future! Get a grip!

Its a fair question, not only do they sell their best players every season, they sell them to their biggest title rivals, creating a bigger gap. Yes they're still the second best club in Germany but they've gone from winning the league to being nowhere near challenging for it! They're the equivalent of Aberdeen in the SPL, finishing second but were never gonna win it! So they are in fact already starting to see the results of selling their best players.

They've been lucky that others have stepped up from youths and some of their signings have worked but that is a gamble, signings don't always work out like you'd think, look at di Maria and Falcao for example!

People using their revenue as a reason why they will remain successful, a lot of that revenue will be gone as soon as they start struggling and all the hipsters start falling in love with the next up and coming club.

-Dortmund actually only sold one player to Bayern (for a record fee), Götze left via release clause (something which has ben categorically ruled out by now) and Lewandowski ran his contract down.

-15/16 Dortmund were the closest to Bayern since 11/12.

-At some point an accumulation of "luck" becomes a sign of competence.

-Dortmund have been a big club in Germany for quite a while now. From what I remember they had the highest attendance in Europe even when the club hit rock bottom and nearly went bankrupt, it's not like their turnover is build on sand... Aside from that money usually correlates with success.

-Who has been sold for less than he's worth?
Out of the past three years Gündogan was in good shape for about half a season, currently he's got another long term injury. Mkhitaryan probably would've fetched something around €20m last season, now he's supposed to be the second most expensive sale in Bundesliga history, with one year left on his contract.
Hummels is the 7th most expensive CB signing in (Europe's) history, with one year left on his contract.

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
-Dortmund actually only sold one player to Bayern (for a record fee), Götze left via release clause (something which has ben categorically ruled out by now) and Lewandowski ran his contract down.

-15/16 Dortmund were the closest to Bayern since 11/12.

-At some point an accumulation of "luck" becomes a sign of competence.

-Dortmund have been a big club in Germany for quite a while now. From what I remember they had the highest attendance in Europe even when the club hit rock bottom and nearly went bankrupt, it's not like their turnover is build on sand... Aside from that money usually correlates with success.

-Who has been sold for less than he's worth?
Out of the past three years Gündogan was in good shape for about half a season, currently he's got another long term injury. Mkhitaryan probably would've fetched something around €20m last season, now he's supposed to be the second most expensive sale in Bundesliga history, with one year left on his contract.
Hummels is the 7th most expensive CB signing in (Europe's) history, with one year left on his contract.
Agree on that except for the bolded part. Still think they inflated his price with the Rode deal. Unless that doesn't make sense financially (taxes and so on...), then i'm talking BS.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Agree on that except for the bolded part. Still think they inflated his price with the Rode deal. Unless that doesn't make sense financially (taxes and so on...), then i'm talking BS.
If we look at the latest inner-Bundesliga transfers:
Hofmann €8m
Volland €20m
Kramer €15m
Vestergaard €11m
Gerhardt €13m
Timo Werner €10m

Then Rode is at least worth €10m imho. The fees quoted were €12 + possible boni.
I don't think we'd see major scheming for that kind of difference, especially since quite some time passed between both transfer's announcement.

Btw: I find Dortmund's supposed interest in Schürrle very baffling. I literally can't find a single reason why this would be good transfer and he would be a very "un-Dortmund" signing in general.
If I was them I'd rather pay €40m for Draxler or sign Götze.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If we look at the latest inner-Bundesliga transfers:
Hofmann €8m
Volland €20m
Kramer €15m
Vestergaard €11m
Gerhardt €13m
Timo Werner €10m

Then Rode is at least worth €10m imho. The fees quoted were €12 + possible boni.
I don't think we'd see major scheming for that kind of difference, especially since quite some time passed between both transfer's announcement.

Btw: I find Dortmund's supposed interest in Schürrle very baffling. I literally can't find a single reason why this would be good transfer and he would be a very "un-Dortmund" signing in general.
If I was them I'd rather pay €40m for Draxler or sign Götze.
First of all, Draxler should first prove he can perform consistently throughout a whole season. Second, high-profile signings between Dortmund and Schalke are very unrealistic, you know that...

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
First of all, Draxler should first prove he can perform consistently throughout a whole season. Second, high-profile signings between Dortmund and Schalke are very unrealistic, you know that...
Draxler plays for Wolfsburg now ;)

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
?Draxler plays for Wolfsburg

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's not that I'm all for Draxler, it's just that I think he'd at least offer something more (technical ability for starters, which imho is what the squad will be missing most about Mkhitaryan) to the team than Schürrle (who I basically see as similar to Reus in style, but worse in every aspect I can think of).
That being said Draxler always struck me as someone who kept his distance from the folklore (and yes, I know that quote regarding joining BVB) and in the end even UGE-Man Utd joined Bayern, when it was good for his career, so I see the whole S04:BVB-stuff as kind of open.

Red Bug

The Boresdenliga.

Bayern Munich will win everything domestically for the next 4-5 seasons I reckon.