What now for Dortmund (and the Bundesliga)?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
For a while Dortmund were everyones second team. It certainly felt like it anyway. With a lovely style of football and some great players making a name for tnemsleves, they were an inspiration to "second teir" teams.

However there club captain is now off to their rivals Bayern Munich. He is the third player in four years to make the switch. As well as this former Bayern manager Pep has now poached Gundogan for his City project. Both players were integral to Dortmund and have gone for a combined 20 million. With one year left on his contract Henrikh Mkhitaryan has now been strongly linked with a move away.

Is this going to be the end of the Dortmund project? Their best players poached by the financial superiority of the Premier League or by title winning Bayern?

If their players do start to wander how will this effect the Bundesliga? Can any team challenge Bayern???

PeteManic

What?

End of what project? This is the project. They will operate as normal.

PeteManic

As easy as that? Despite losing star names constantly?
Is this a wind up? They lose "star players" every year. Tuchel got the job on the basis of his youth team work.

Are you addicted to the little red alert bubble on the top right of your screen?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
They still have a good squad and they tend to invest well in high potential young players, they'll be atleast good enough to compete for 2-4 in the Bundesliga and make a decent dent in the champions league qualifying rounds.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They still have a good squad and they tend to invest well in high potential young players, they'll be atleast good enough to compete for 2-4 in the Bundesliga and make a decent dent in the champions league qualifying rounds.
Surely at some point the high quality young players don't work out and then they really are struggling

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Dortmund will have Dembélé, Pulisic, Weigl, Passlack, Ginter, Merino to replace the players that are leaving this summer and next. Some of these players have a fair chance to be superior to the players leaving, so Dortmund are fine.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Dortmund are still my second favourite team (have been since before it became fashionable)

They're building a team full of young talent with huge potential, (Weigl, Pulisic, Dembele, Passlack etc) amongst more established & experienced players in the squad.

It's an exciting period for Dortmund, Tuchel is certainly building something for the long term, and while it may not produce immediate results in this up and coming season, they're back in the CL, and playing some great football.

I don't see how this is the end of their project.

PeteManic

The threads in here are getting worse. A thought pops into people's heads and they think "I'm going to start a thread and get loads of alert bubbles in the top right hand side of my screen."

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They just got Dembele and I'm confident they will get good replacements for Hummels and Gundogan. The money will also help them. They lost Götze and got Mkhitaryan, lost Lewandowski and got Aubameyang. Their eye for talent is great and they will remain strong.

I know that this is not possible for €8m to be better than €50m player but it's often the case with clubs like Dortmund replacing their departing stars.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They bounced back convincingly this season with great football, 2nd place, CL secured. They are also if I'm correct in the top 10-12 most valuable football clubs and have a very good squad. They won't challenge Bayern for a long while but securing CL spots is the priority.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Hard to see the Bundesliga as any more competitive for the foreseeable future than the SPL.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Surely at some point the high quality young players don't work out and then they really are struggling
They surely can't cope with injuries to important players like Aubameyang or Bender. Otherwise they'll go ahead with Subotic and Bender as a center back pairing with Hummels gone and they have some exciting players like Ginter who is quite diverse position-wise and Weigl to step in for those that left so the pipeline is already well supplied. Unless they start selling those younger guys, losing players is probably something they have prepared for.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The threads in here are getting worse. A thought pops into people's heads and they think "I'm going to start a thread and get loads of alert bubbles in the top right hand side of my screen."
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/has-muppet-season-officially-started.417801/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/squad-numbers-16-17.417269/

I'm sorry I didn't put as much energy into my threads as the in depth thoughts of "has muppet season officially started" or the illuminating musings of "Miss not seeing the full back numbers as well."

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
They bounced back convincingly this season with great football, 2nd place, CL secured. They are also if I'm correct in the top 10-12 most valuable football clubs and have a very good squad. They won't challenge Bayern for a long while but securing CL spots is the priority.
By "project " I should have articulated that I meant the idea that Dortmund could challenge Bayern.

PeteManic

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/has-muppet-season-officially-started.417801/

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/squad-numbers-16-17.417269/

I'm sorry I didn't put as much energy into my threads as the in depth thoughts of "has muppet season officially started" or the illuminating musings of "Miss not seeing the full back numbers as well."
Handbags are out. Somewhat flattered you went through my post history. PM me your address so I can send you a signed photo.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Is this a wind up? They lose "star players" every year. Tuchel got the job on the basis of his youth team work.

Are you addicted to the little red alert bubble on the top right of your screen?
Good thing you posted it twice, you didn't get any alerts the first time.

Lyricist

Dortmund are absolutely growing financially, are in the CL again, and already are one of the biggest clubs in Europe in terms of membership, sponsorship, advertisement, following. They're not Barcelona but they are by no means dead just because they lost Hummels and Gündogan who's a top top player but mostly injured anyway. They're ready to invest the money they'll get as well.

Lyricist

However there club captain is now off to their rivals Bayern Munich. He is the third player in four years to make the switch. As well as this former Bayern manager Pep has now poached Gundogan for his City project. Both players were integral to Dortmund and have gone for a combined 20 million.

Not true btw, Hummels' transfer fee alone is €38 million. So unless Dortmund are going to pay City about €12 million for loading off Gündogan in Manchester I don't see how both deals can only bring them 20 million pounds combined.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Dortmund are absolutely growing financially, are in the CL again, and already are one of the biggest clubs in Europe in terms of membership, sponsorship, advertisement, following. They're not Barcelona but they are by no means dead just because they lost Hummels and Gündogan who's a top top player but mostly injured anyway. They're ready to invest the money they'll get as well.
I was aware they have a bit of money, but in the last four years they're up there with the biggest clubs in the world in terms of results as well. Whereas financially they're more akin to Tottenham or Newcastle I thought.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Not true btw, Hummels' transfer fee alone is €38 million. So unless Dortmund are gonna pay City about €12 million for loading off Gündogan in Manchester I don't see how both deals can only bring them 20 million pounds combined.
Sorry, thought he was leaving on a free.

Lyricist

In revenue they're currently 1 behind Juventus, 1 ahead of Tottenham and further ahead of sides like Atletico, Milan, Roma, and Inter.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Lets be honest, they finished 2nd this year with them and will probably finish 2nd next year without them.

ottosec

What do you mean "what now"? Obviously it's unfortunate that they lost some of their players to Bayern, but it is what it is, they don't have the money or the prestige to keep the best players. They have been the hipster team in the last few years from various reasons, but they still have some way to go to get to Bayern's level.

Cole9

Lighten up you miserable cnuts, there's nothing wrong with this thread.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
For a while Dortmund were everyones second team. It certainly felt like it anyway. With a lovely style of football and some great players making a name for tnemsleves, they were an inspiration to "second teir" teams.

However there club captain is now off to their rivals Bayern Munich. He is the third player in four years to make the switch. As well as this former Bayern manager Pep has now poached Gundogan for his City project. Both players were integral to Dortmund and have gone for a combined 20 million. With one year left on his contract Henrikh Mkhitaryan has now been strongly linked with a move away.

Is this going to be the end of the Dortmund project? Their best players poached by the financial superiority of the Premier League or by title winning Bayern?

If their players do start to wander how will this effect the Bundesliga? Can any team challenge Bayern???
I can't see them beating Bayern for the title next season either. You can't be losing your best players to a team that is already far stronger than you and expect to finish ahead.

----------------Neuer----------------
Lahm--Boateng--Hummels--Alaba
---------Martinez---Vidal------------
Coman-------Muller-----------Costa
-----------Lewandowski-----------

With the likes of Robben, Thiago, Ribery, Sanches etc as back up...a formidable team.

This is also potentially a big problem for the Bundesliga. Unless Bayern start making awful transfers (and they seem very well run right now so don't see that happening anytime soon) then it's hard to compete with that kind of financial gap

Last edited:

Someone

Something
It's a valid point he's trying to make, you don't need to shit on the thread because you disagree.

Personally i think it has to hurt at some point, even if they keep investing in potential, bayern won't find it difficult at all to dominate in germany.

The difference between a team that wins trophies and a team that just comes close sometimes is keeping your best players, if losing your top player is the norm then being in the CL is the best you could hope for.

ChaddyP

why is everyone bashing the thread. Twigg makes some solid points. He's not saying they will get relegated, although they looked like wanting to do that last year. He's saying that they don't even look likely to even give bayern a run for their money in the German League since all their players are leaving, and not even leaving for good money. It's one thing if they leave and BvB get good transfer money to re invest, but they are getting peanuts due to contracts being ran down. Other problem is alot if their stars are going to bayern, and also for peanuts. makes the German league now into the realms of the Scottish and French league.

PeteManic

I'd like to formally apologise to Twigg for criticising his thread. This is me apologising. It's about as sorry as I can get.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
why is everyone bashing the thread. Twigg makes some solid points. He's not saying they will get relegated, although they looked like wanting to do that last year. He's saying that they don't even look likely to even give bayern a run for their money in the German League since all their players are leaving, and not even leaving for good money. It's one thing if they leave and BvB get good transfer money to re invest, but they are getting peanuts due to contracts being ran down. Other problem is alot if their stars are going to bayern, and also for peanuts. makes the German league now into the realms of the Scottish and French league.
It's only one person

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think that the two titles kind of skewed people's perceptions, Dortmund weren't at Bayern's level, the gap between the two clubs was huge and Dortmund punched above their weight. Now Dortmund continue to grow, they are building a good and young team, in my opinion Gundogan like Hummels are replaceable.

Eddy_JukeZ

I wouldn't be surprised if they won Bundesliga next season.

Ancelotti's league record is poor.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Since Dortmund won the title

12/13 - 25 point gap
13/14 - 19 point gap
14/15 - 33 point gap
15/16 - 10 point gap