What should be the realistic expectations for 2020-21?

maximus419

I think top 4 is obviously the main target with anything else a bonus. It's a sad reality that top 4 is about as good as it gets for Utd these days.

I think the harsh truth that all fans have to get their head around, Utd are no longer an elite club. No longer in the top seeds in CL group draws, we are that level outside the top sides now.

If Utd get lucky and have very few injuries and everyone kicks on then top 4 should be nailed on, it won't be easy but there is enough quality to cement that position. Any injuries to key players though and that could mean finishing anywhere from 4th down to 8th.

Tony247

I think top 4 is obviously the main target with anything else a bonus. It's a sad reality that top 4 is about as good as it gets for Utd these days.

I think the harsh truth that all fans have to get their head around, Utd are no longer an elite club. No longer in the top seeds in CL group draws, we are that level outside the top sides now.

If Utd get lucky and have very few injuries and everyone kicks on then top 4 should be nailed on, it won't be easy but there is enough quality to cement that position. Any injuries to key players though and that could mean finishing anywhere from 4th down to 8th.
Expecting 11 players to last through 4 tournaments is not possible. There will be patches where Ole will have to rotate and that's when it will hit us hard.

maximus419

Expecting 11 players to last through 4 tournaments is not possible. There will be patches where Ole will have to rotate and that's when it will hit us hard.
I agree with this if ole makes the mistake of always picking his strongest side. Fortunately we'll only be involved in 3 comps this season, clubs in Europe are not involved in league cup this season.

So long as he prioritises the league and uses the squad in cups then we should be good.

OrcaFat

When you look at results since January, we could be challenging for the league.

As most realise, the main problem we had in that period was lack of depth in the squad. We’ve signed VDB which really helps with that as he is quality and versatile. But we need a couple more guys who can compete for first choice 11 places. If we get that, I think we have as good a chance as anyone.

A lot of people think Chelsea will overtake us as they have bought a few but I’m not sure all their problems are solved. Liv and City are still the ones to beat but I don’t think either is uncatchable. City were a bit hit and miss and Liv will surely find out how tough it is to retain the league (Arsenal’s invincibles couldn’t do it).

I’m not saying we’ll win the league, no. But if we get at least one more top signing I think we’ll finish in the top two. Some luck will be required as the squad is still a bit thin (for title-winning purposes) but hey. I predicted us to get 3rd last season so hope springs eternal.

Come on Utd, let’s smash ‘em!

CG1010

When you look at results since January, we could be challenging for the league.

As most realise, the main problem we had in that period was lack of depth in the squad. We’ve signed VDB which really helps with that as he is quality and versatile. But we need a couple more guys who can compete for first choice 11 places. If we get that, I think we have as good a chance as anyone.

A lot of people think Chelsea will overtake us as they have bought a few but I’m not sure all their problems are solved. Liv and City are still the ones to beat but I don’t think either is uncatchable. City were a bit hit and miss and Liv will surely find out how tough it is to retain the league (Arsenal’s invincibles couldn’t do it).

I’m not saying we’ll win the league, no. But if we get at least one more top signing I think we’ll finish in the top two. Some luck will be required as the squad is still a bit thin (for title-winning purposes) but hey. I predicted us to get 3rd last season so hope springs eternal.

Come on Utd, let’s smash ‘em!
Even with the post Bruno league form, we would get 86 points in a full season. Which isn't good enough to win the title. And sustaining the form for entire season is a difficult task without significant reinforcements.

OrcaFat

Even with the post Bruno league form, we would get 86 points in a full season. Which isn't good enough to win the title. And sustaining the form for entire season is a difficult task without significant reinforcements.
Well the Prem has been won with 86 or fewer points on ten occasions. But I agree we are unlikely to win the league. Top two, with a fair wind, my friend.

Bestietom

We need to be challenging for all honours this season, so we need more signings .Otherwise I would expect scrape into top 4.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
If there are no more transfers incoming, realistic expectations would be 5th-6th, depending on how we cope with injuries and the unforgivable lack of quality depth in attack. We're depending on an 18 year old to put out numbers expected of seasoned top quality veterans, I don't think people understand how risky that is given the packed schedule.

Anything above 5th given the circumstances would be a bonus. I don't expect any cup success this year, but deep runs would be another bonus, too.

Chelsea's depth and quality is insane, and Spurs will have Kane and Son fit again in Mourinho's second season. I think both will finish above us.

Red_toad

Expectations will depend first on the owners investing in the team and then the ability of the Manager to get the best out of the players available to him.
As it stands it’ll be a battle to get top 4 once again, in key areas we’re just not good enough or have players who are prone to injuries.

OrcaFat

We need to be challenging for all honours this season, so we need more signings .Otherwise I would expect scrape into top 4.
Mainly fringe players will play in the League Cup. FA Cup doesn’t start until 9th Jan.

I agree we need more signings but scraping top 4 is a pretty gloomy outlook.

CG1010

Well the Prem has been won with 86 or fewer points on ten occasions. But I agree we are unlikely to win the league. Top two, with a fair wind, my friend.
Not since 2016-17 so unlikely to be true for 2020-21. On Top 2 also, we can but hope. Unless we suddenly go berserk with signings, I will be happy with crossing 80 points and 80 goals for the Premier League season. That would indicate real progress. And its possible with our team gelling better and many young players improving from last season.

OrcaFat

If there are no more transfers incoming, realistic expectations would be 5th-6th, depending on how we cope with injuries and the unforgivable lack of quality depth in attack. We're depending on an 18 year old to put out numbers expected of seasoned top quality veterans, I don't think people understand how risky that is given the packed schedule.

Anything above 5th given the circumstances would be a bonus. I don't expect any cup success this year, but deep runs would be another bonus, too.

Chelsea's depth and quality is insane, and Spurs will have Kane and Son fit again in Mourinho's second season. I think both will finish above us.
Doom!

Bestietom

Mainly fringe players will play in the League Cup. FA Cup doesn’t start until 9th Jan.

I agree we need more signings but scraping top 4 is a pretty gloomy outlook.
It is gloomy yes, but it's true. Especially if we don't bring in at least 2 more players, and then we get some injuries to important players.

Amarsdd

With the current squad, if we have the first team available for most of the season, then I expect us to reach around 80 points. Doesn't matter if it means we finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th this season. I expect a real title challenge the next season with our team's spine having played together for a couple of years, young players having gained some experience, Liverpool's squad going off the peak (a year older and not expecting them to improve on what they have right now) and City possibly without Pep.

DRM

With the current squad as of today?

4th place
Knockout stages of the CL
Yep, thats the best we can hope for really. We're actually quite weak upfront and I think a lot of people are overestimating our attack.

Rashford has been so poor since his return from injury, it may take him a few more months (or longer) to get back into form! Greenwood, whilst promising, is so young and like with any young players expect highs and lows in form. It's really just Martial who's our consistent, performing striker!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Based on the transfer business so far and where that leaves our squad, top four would have to be seen as acceptable in the league. I'd predict United to finish fifth if I had predict now though. I expect Liverpool to win the league again, City to be the clear second and Chelsea and Arsenal to finish ahead of us. Spurs could go either way and I don't see anyone else in the mix.

That's why the cups are so important to give us a sense of satisfaction from the season. Top four races are just utter torture as a fan. Nothing to celebrate if you achieve your goal, but a disaster if you don't make it. We need to be winning things.

romufc

Based on the transfer business so far and where that leaves our squad, top four would have to be seen as acceptable in the league. I'd predict United to finish fifth if I had predict now though. I expect Liverpool to win the league again, City to be the clear second and Chelsea and Arsenal to finish ahead of us. Spurs could go either way and I don't see anyone else in the mix.

That's why the cups are so important to give us a sense of satisfaction from the season. Top four races are just utter torture as a fan. Nothing to celebrate if you achieve your goal, but a disaster if you don't make it. We need to be winning things.
Why would the current Arsenal team finish above us? We have a much better squad than them.

I agree that we need to win a trophy this season though, 3 years is too long.

Withnail

The aim or expectation has to be cut out the stupid losses to 'lesser' teams. We lost 8 so if we cut out 50% were already 12 points better off. 12 draws if we can turn 50% of those into wins thats another 12 points. Thats potentially 84 points.
80 points minimum would be a big step forward and its achievable as well. If we could win a cup as well, then that would be the icing on the cake. The push for the title then should be expected the season after.
I'd expect us to score a lot more goals next season and to turn a good number of our draws into wins and losses into draws. 12 Draws and 8 losses are far too many.

I'd be happy enough with being a lot more consistent from the start and finishing much closer to the top 2 with more goals, more wins and fewer draws/losses.

Barring a collapse from either city or liverpool I can't see us getting into the top 2.

Withnail

I can't see any reason to think Arsenal will be near the top 4. They're inconsistent and their squads not great. What are you basing this on?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
As many have said, it depends very much on the remainder of the window. If you get Sancho and Reguilon, then I would expect a decent title challenge, your depth suddenly gets a whole load better.

GK De Gea/Henderson
RB AWB/Williams/Dalot
CB Maguire/Lindelof/Bailly/Tuanzebe/Jones/poss Smalling
LB Shaw/Reguilon
DM Matic/McT/Fred
AM/MF McT/Fred/DvB/Pogba/Bruno
RW Sancho/Greenwood/James
LW Rashford/Martial/Greenwood/James
ST Martial/Rashford/Greenwood

That's an excellent squad with excellent cover in all positoins, it just needs a CB and DM added next Jan/summer.

Without those signings you should be aiming for for top 4 on a better points tally than this season and QF CL and maybe an FA or League Cup final spot. I think you'll get Reguilon by the sounds of it and am sure you'll get Sancho in the end.

Chelsea will take tie to gel, too many new players in one go will mean a slightly disjointed start to the season, Arsenal are better but not by much, Liverpool will struggle to keep up the consistency, a couple of injuries and they could really struggle, City will improve a lot if they get Koulibaly, but could still be inconsistent. I think it's going to be a very exciting league this year and a lot closer at the top.

SER19

Top 3 with improved consistency in style and a good CL run. Need to be within a reasonable amount of points of 1st to continue a sense of improving.

Okey

I agree with this if ole makes the mistake of always picking his strongest side. Fortunately we'll only be involved in 3 comps this season, clubs in Europe are not involved in league cup this season.

So long as he prioritises the league and uses the squad in cups then we should be good.
Was there a swift u-turn on the exemption from the League Cup? Cos we just got our opponents for the 3rd round, to be played just a few days after our first league game.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lots of Covid related postponements. I think that’s a realistic expectation.

Crazy they are starting back up with no bubble.

cyberman

I think we'll get top 2. I think City is in for a rough season

ShinjiNinja26

As things stand I can see us battling it out for 4th spot this season which would be very disappointing as it’s yet again another backwards step. However if we were to make a few more signings that may well change but we really need to see some movement soon.

Web of Bissaka

Top 4
Semi-finals (CC and/or FAC)

Inconsistencies of form by the players.
Poor performances by the players, now and then.
^
Also the other side of those coins, good run of form by the players for a time and good-great performances.

So... realistic expectation is just like the past two seasons under Ole, business as usual.

DRM

Patches? This season will be more condensed than normal. I think he'll have to be rotating the whole time.
We're fecked then as Ole doesnt seem to know/want to rotate.

Withnail

We're fecked then as Ole doesnt seem to know/want to rotate.
I think that was a very specific set of circumstances with very little time to get everyone match fit. The thing is it worked with regards to the league place.

If we can add more depth I think we'll be ok. Are you basing this idea he doesn't know how to rotate on the 10 games post-lockdown?

EwanI Ted

I just think consistency is what will do for us. Liverpool are battle hardened in a way we’re not at the moment and it shows in the results. One curious stat from last season is how many narrow wins Liverpool got compared to us.

Number of wins by 2 goals or more
* Liverpool - 18
* United - 15

Number of wins by 1 goal
* Liverpool - 14
* United - 3

Number of draws
* Liverpool - 3
* United - 12

Liverpool's ability to turn draws into narrow wins is a huge part of why they finished miles ahead of us. This boils down to things like concentration, handling pressure and game management. They're burying half chances that we're snatching at, they're keeping a clean sheet where we're letting the od goal in. I think we'll get better at this over time, but it'll still be a problem for us this year and a large part of the reason why it’ll be a struggle to overcome them this coming season

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

We’ve zero depth in several positions. Currently any Injury to Greenwood, Rashford, Martial or Shaw or Matic and we are screwed and this is for the second season running. It’s unforgivable really for a supposedly competitive outfit.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

We’ve zero depth in several positions. Currently any Injury to Greenwood, Rashford, Martial or Shaw or Matic and we are screwed and this is for the second for the second season running. It’s unforgivable really for a supposedly competitive outfit.
In fairness, we used to have zero depth everywhere. The quality of the squad is finally being improved as quickly as can reasonably be expected after quite a few years of shambles and decline.

romufc

I just think consistency is what will do for us. Liverpool are battle hardened in a way we’re not at the moment and it shows in the results. One curious stat from last season is how many narrow wins Liverpool got compared to us.

Number of wins by 2 goals or more
* Liverpool - 18
* United - 15

Number of wins by 1 goal
* Liverpool - 14
* United - 3

Number of draws
* Liverpool - 3
* United - 12

Liverpool's ability to turn draws into narrow wins is a huge part of why they finished miles ahead of us. This boils down to things like concentration, handling pressure and game management. They're burying half chances that we're snatching at, they're keeping a clean sheet where we're letting the od goal in. I think we'll get better at this over time, but it'll still be a problem for us this year and a large part of the reason why it’ll be a struggle to overcome them this coming season
Set pieces.

Liverpool scored goals when games were tight through set pieces and conceded hardly any.

We need to improve on that, a 0-0 tight game could be won and lost on a set piece.

SteveTheRed

Just stay with the pack, there will be a challenge from Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, Wolves again for that 4th place. None of us have strengthened hugely so I suspect it will be more of the same.

Chelsea will probably pull away.

A decent run in the CL would be fun, ultimately QF or better would be massive achievement.

Woodenlung

Liverpool and City are miles ahead of us and Chelsea could pull away too if their new signings bed in quickly. They'll be top three most likely.

I can see us struggling next season. Our squad is nowhere near as strong as we'd like and fixture congestion will be brutal. After CL qualification was assured there were a lot of articles about how now was the time for United to strike in the transfer market and close the gap between the top sides. The new season starts in five days and so far we've made very little progress in doing that. VDB is a good player, but that's nowhere near enough. Still need at least two quality signings.

Tony247

Disappointed in and out transfers so far. At this moment it seems we are targeting 4th place again this season. It would be difficult to get any good player now as the clubs already started preparing for the season.

Sb_16

Consolidate top4 and be nearer to the top2 than to 5-6th. Further development of team cohesion, efficiency and individuals as well as introduction of few youths.

City are a yo-yo club, one season they are dominant, the following season they lose motivation. I fell Liverpool are on a downward trend and with no players in and high age of their players are there for the taking in a season or two. Chelsea, who knows, so many players in could cause disruption. If we go about our business smoothly, we'll be in the best position to overtake in a year or two.