What should be the realistic expectations for 2020-21?

Tony247

I am not sure about Bale and spurs. But it seems aubameyang is in the form of his life. And whenever a striker is in form he takes his team to new height, even though not winning the title. So arsenal I think are definitely top 4 contenders this season. Everton will eat point off every other team. I think currently only city, pool and chelsea can fend them off. But they are the risk for any team fighting for the 4th spot.
I too underestimated the elite level manager. :wenger:

theklr

That all depends on the transfer window. With the same squad as we have today a top 4 and CL quarters + FA/League semis is the realistic one.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
You guys really underestimated the elite level manager.
I mean look at what alot of fans expected us to get. We are sitting comfortably in 2nd, surely we have to give some credit to the manager.

I mean a few on here thought Arteta was something special and they are 9th.
Yep, I definitely didn't see United finishing second and thought Arsenal would grind out a lot more low scoring wins than they ultimately have.

romufc

Yep, I definitely didn't see United finishing second and thought Arsenal would grind out a lot more low scoring wins than they ultimately have.
Which is why I feel we should give some credit to the manager and players rather than saying we only finished 2nd because the rest were rubbish?

Last season we got top 3 because Leicester and Chelsea dropped off, this season we finished 2nd only because other teams have fallen off? Seems to be a theme from fans making excuses for us finishing well?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Since you want to play the smart ass so much, we'll finish a handful of points ahead of Chelsea who had a dire half-season.

We didn't fecking win the league, so I don't see what you think you're doing with this investigative posting here.

Last edited:

meamth

Since you want to pay the smart ass so much, we'll finish a handful of points ahead of Chelsea who had a dire half-season.

We didn't fecking win the league, so I don't see what you think you're doing with this investigative posting here.
It's nice to see how clueless our fans were. That's what it is.

Tony247

Since you want to pay the smart ass so much, we'll finish a handful of points ahead of Chelsea who had a dire half-season.

If you read my posts I was on the same boat. I too was pessimistic.

This isn't about being investigative or rubbing in. This is about cherish the progress when we all, including me, were not expecting.

Are you not happy the team progressed beyond your expectations? I am!

romufc

If you read my posts I was on the same boat. I too was pessimistic.

This isn't about being investigative or rubbing in. This is about cherish the progress when we all, including me, were not expecting.

Are you not happy the team progressed beyond your expectations? I am!
I think there are a few on here that cannot take Ole doing well.

The reason some of us are happy is because he managed to do something that no one expected. We all thought fighting for top 4 will be our season. Giving credit to the players and manager is sensible.

Unfortunately, some fans have made their mind up and will not say anything positive.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
At the time it wasn't a terrible idea that Arsenal looked good. They beat Chelsea and City well to win the FA Cup. They looked very good defensively and Aubamayeng was in a year. Obviously since the contract he's been poor in comparison and Luiz turned back into Luiz.

I've already said on this forum I was wrong about them. I even made the Arsenal watch thread about them this season.

Bubz27

I mean look at what alot of fans expected us to get. We are sitting comfortably in 2nd, surely we have to give some credit to the manager.

I mean a few on here thought Arteta was something special and they are 9th.
4 points off third and confirming second in GW 37 isn't comfortable but it's clear we've made good progress this year. I sincerely hope we do so again next year and challenge for the title properly.

Remember the geese

Same again I think. Top 4 as a minimum, whilst trying to close the gap to City and a trophy. Hopefully an improvement in the Champions League. I think we will have a good Summer, however I could see it being one in which we don't make too many inroads in terms of upgrading our central midfield. This is why I'm reluctant to say 'title challenge' because quite simply we can't win the league with our current options there.

romufc

4 points off third and confirming second in GW 37 isn't comfortable but it's clear we've made good progress this year. I sincerely hope we do so again next year and challenge for the title properly.
Its because we have really dropped of recently. We put out almost a youth team against Leicester, you can tell the players are lacking motivation at the moment.

That's the next challenge now, go and mount a proper challenge where you are expected to win every game.

Tony247

At the time it wasn't a terrible idea that Arsenal looked good. They beat Chelsea and City well to win the FA Cup. They looked very good defensively and Aubamayeng was in a year. Obviously since the contract he's been poor in comparison and Luiz turned back into Luiz.

I've already said on this forum I was wrong about them. I even made the Arsenal watch thread about them this season.
I was wrong too! I too thought Arsenal would be top 4 challengers.

bsCallout

Chelsea had new manager bounce. That is all. Depends which way you look at it.

Bubz27

Its because we have really dropped of recently. We put out almost a youth team against Leicester, you can tell the players are lacking motivation at the moment.

That's the next challenge now, go and mount a proper challenge where you are expected to win every game.
Oh yeah, there absolutely is context to it. And if it was 4 points a month ago, I'd imagine our results would've been better.

I imagine it'll be harder next year but with the right investment, it should be our target.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think there are a few on here that cannot take Ole doing well.

The reason some of us are happy is because he managed to do something that no one expected. We all thought fighting for top 4 will be our season. Giving credit to the players and manager is sensible.

Unfortunately, some fans have made their mind up and will not say anything positive.
I think there are a few on here who have their head firmly in the sand (and a fair bit up their backside as well).

Unfortunately, we've barely made any progress on our points total, are playing the final of the kid's CL while City and Chelsea are where we should be with regard to the top level competition.

Our Bruno bounce has swiftly gone away this season and we look distinctly average for large parts of most games.

With Pogba set to leave latest in 2022 and us playing dross like Dan James and McT week-in, week-out, this forum is set to be flooded with Arsenal mentality where winning 3 points more and making top 4 in gameweek 37, instead of 38, is considered some sort of monumental achievement.

romufc

I think there are a few on here who have their head firmly in the sand (and a fair bit up their backside as well).

Unfortunately, we've barely made any progress on our points total, are playing the final of the kid's CL while City and Chelsea are where we should be with regard to the top level competition.

Our Bruno bounce has swiftly gone away this season and we look distinctly average for large parts of most games.

With Pogba set to leave latest in 2022 and us playing dross like Dan James and McT week-in, week-out, this forum is set to be flooded with Arsenal mentality where winning 3 points more and making top 4 in gameweek 37, instead of 38, is considered some sort of monumental achievement.

I don't know what you have been watching over the last 7 years, this is the first time we have made top 4 back to back.

That is called progress.

We are 2nd in the league, we secured top 4 a while ago.

Again, I am not sure which season you have been watching but Dan James does not start week in week out, I am happy for you to prove it otherwise.

Also, we play a 4-2-3-1 with 2 CDM's, who else can play that role apart from McT?

Nikelesh Reddy

Finishing 3rd last season was progress...Finishing 2nd this season and (hopefully) winning the Europa league is certainly tangible progress again.Now the challenge is to take the next step which will be very difficult...That’s why we need the board and the owners to whole heartfelt back Ole this summer...We have to mount a title challenge next season,as simple as that...

SAFMUTD

Happy? Satisfied?
We are around what was expected at the beginning of the season. Meaning top 4, of course is good to have secured top 4 a couple of matches ago.

Does that mean that I'm happy and satisfied? Well not really. I won't be until we go back to winning titles.

Using old predictions to say we should be happy is a low punch, expectations change as the season goes by. I mean imagine if we were 1st for all the season but lost the last 10 games in a row and end up 4th, would you say hey but at the beginning of the season everyone expected us to be top 6 and we end up 4th we should be happy!

This season was an opportunity to win something big, the covid effect shortened the distance between teams. Juve didn't won the serie A after 9 years, Lille is about to win Ligue 1 after God knows how many years of PSG dominance, Atletico is about to win La Liga, Sporting won Primeira Liga after 20 years, Chelsea are on a UCL final.

I don't think it's fair to punch this team or manager for not winning anything major because of course we weren't favourites but somehow it feels like a lost opportunity and I think next year the distances between teams will be shown again.

Dante

Average bang
We should be winning more than 18 games, losing fewer than 8 games, and scoring more than 66 goals.

TeamPWDLGFGAGDPts
Manchester United38181286636+3066

Third place won't be achievable with 66 points again this season. But consistent form would represent progress more so than a higher placed finish in the table.

Baby steps.
Achieved.

TeamPWDLGFGAGDPts
Manchester United
37​
20​
11​
6​
71​
43​
+28
71​

A bit behind on the goal difference, but there's still one more game to play.

Last edited:

Fletchageddon

I think this team will really mature next year. With the right signings in the areas that need strengthening (CB,RW,DM,RB,CF...3 of these positions is a minimum) we will really push on. The players are all pulling in the same direction, the football is good, when we aren't playing 7 games a week. The Europa League would be great for Ole and the coaching staff and hopefully silence the Cult of Jose and Ole-outers on here. The squad is at the point were they believe they can win and should win things. Hopefully they get the EL this year and then the Premier League won't seem so far away next year.

justsomebloke

The OP question can't be answered until we see what goes down in the transfer window. Not even tentatively. Simple as that.

Matthew84!

Realistically we should aim to get more points in the league than this season as that would represent progress that should also mean we're in the top 4.

We should aim to get out the group stages of the champions league.

Get to a domestic final. Win if possible.

justsomebloke

I don't know what you have been watching over the last 7 years, this is the first time we have made top 4 back to back.

That is called progress.

We are 2nd in the league, we secured top 4 a while ago.

Again, I am not sure which season you have been watching but Dan James does not start week in week out, I am happy for you to prove it otherwise.

Also, we play a 4-2-3-1 with 2 CDM's, who else can play that role apart from McT?
Been building up to say this (and sorry, it could have been in reply to anyone of a hundred posters): WE DON'T PLAY 4231 WITH 2 CDMs.

Firstly, if we played with 2 defensive midfielders, it wouldn't be a 4231, but what could only be described as a 42031. Nobody does this. If you play with two defensive midfielders, you don't put four players in your attacking line. Someone's got to take care of the zone between your defensive line and your attackers. If you're the one doing that, you're not a defensive midfielder. If you're a defensive midfielder, you're generally dealing with the zone between your defensive line and your midfield.

We play with 2 central midfielders, which is something different. Though a central pivot can emphasise either the offensive or defensive aspect, or do this differently from game to game, that doesn't mean they're defensive midfielders. McFred is no more a pair of CDMs than Jorginho/Kovacic, Højbjerg/Sissoko, McGinn/Luiz or Bissouma/Allan.

Last edited:

Lentwood

4th should be considered a 'good' season. However, we won't be able to count 4th as acceptable for much longer so we really need to be making the additions we need in key areas to go from 'good' to 'very good'.
It's been a very encouraging season in my opinion.

As bad as we have been post-SAF, you could argue that without the financially-doped Manchester City we would have two more league titles right now at least. Being 2nd to what basically amounts to a 'cheat mode' team isn't too shabby given all the flak we get in the media and from our own fans!

romufc

Been building up to say this (and sorry, it could have been in reply to anyone of a hundred posters): WE DON'T PLAY 4231 WITH 2 CDMs.

Firstly, if we played with 2 defensive midfielders, it wouldn't be a 4231, but what could only be described as a 42031. Nobody does this. If you play with two defensive midfielders, you don't put four players in your attacking line. Someone's got to take care of the zone between your defensive line and your attackers. If you're the one doing that, you're not a defensive midfielder. If you're a defensive midfielder, you're generally dealing with the zone between your defensive line and your midfield.

We play with 2 central midfielders, which is something different. Though a central pivot can emphasise either the offensive or defensive aspect, or do this differently from game to game, that doesn't mean they're defensive midfielders. McFred is no more a pair of CDMs than Jorginho/Kovacic, Højbjerg/Sissoko, McGinn/Luiz or Bissouma/Allan.
Call it what you want. 4-2-3-1, 4-2-0-3-1. If the case is we dont play 2 CDM's why have we not seen Pogba and Donny as the CM's? or Bruno and Pogba as the 2 CM's?

Bruno, Donny, Pogba have all played CM positions for their previous clubs and country. We play with 2 CM's who are defensive minded which allows us to play 4 up front.

A CM is someone like a Scholes / Keane which means they are box to box players. Can you highlight to me in what way you think McFred are box to box?

Or even Hojberg /Sissoko or Bissouma/ Allan? They are not box to box midfielders, if they were you would expect them to get goals / assists and be there to break play.

justsomebloke

[QUOTE="romufc, post: 27247625,
Call it what you want. 4-2-3-1, 4-2-0-3-1. If the case is we dont play 2 CDM's why have we not seen Pogba and Donny as the CM's?

We have, if not at the same time.

or Bruno and Pogba as the 2 CM's?

Because Bruno isn't a CM. Not for us, anyway.

We play with 2 CM's who are defensive minded which allows us to play 4 up front.

Yes, my point here is that there's a distinction between CDM as a position, and being a defensive-minded central midfielder.

A CM is someone like a Scholes / Keane which means they are box to box players. Can you highlight to me in what way you think McFred are box to box?

Scholes and Keane are hardly the textbook definition of "central midfielder". They were both extraordinary players including in the range of their impact. "Box to box midfielder" is just one way of filling the CM position. The point is whether there's someone else between you and the attackers. If there isn't, then you're not a defensive midfielder. Also, both Fred and McTominay are fairly frequently involved in the attack, moving up to the opposition box.

Or even Hojberg /Sissoko or Bissouma/ Allan? They are not box to box midfielders, if they were you would expect them to get goals / assists and be there to break play.

No, but they're not CDMs either, or more pertinently, occupy positions in their team's setup that could be described as CDM. Also, they do get goals and assists. Just not very many. Which is pretty normal for CMs.

simplyared

2nd in the PL only to Man City and going to the wire (unlike current season). Otherwise if City should have a bad season which I don't think will happen, then nothing less than champions is acceptable.
CL semi final
Couldn't give a feck about the others tbh!

Yakuza_devils

We are Man Utd, we will be challenging for the PL and CL!

Realistically:

1) Top 4
2) CL last 8
3) FA Cup at least last 4

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The main priority is to close the gap on the top two (maybe even sneak into 2nd if one of them have a bad year) and have a decent CL run. In theory a 'decent' run would be getting to the quarters, but it really depends on the opposition so it's more about not losing to a team we should be beating. A good FA Cup run would be great as well, but it's a distant third priority.

Next season is about putting in place the platform to then really challenge for the title in 21/22. We need to be solid, we need to not drop too many stupid points, and there needs to be an obvious plan moving forward that will take us back to the top.

Of course, Chelsea are going to have identical goals to us and are likely going to be a pain in the arse. There's a real chance that one of us improves significantly and still end up 4th as the other also did the same.
This was my expectations for a 'good' season, and looks like I got it pretty much spot on for the league. CL was a disappointment of course, but we have got to the final of the Europa so hopefully we can bring that home.

RiqCantona

Minimum expectations:
  1. Pushing Liverpool and City for the title - but settle for a solid 3rd (not a scrappy one).
  2. QF run in UCL
  3. FA Cup win
By-product of those expectations:
  • Score 72+ league goals
  • Dropping fewer points at home
  • Play attacking football
  • Stop conceding stupid goals at the last minute
  1. A solid 2nd place (check)
  2. QF run in UCL... but Europa final trumps that.
  3. FA Cup win... meh. But at least we'll have a trophy if we win Europa
Other expectations:
  • Nearly at 72 goals (need 1 more on Sunday) - check
  • Feckin dropped "more" points at home if anything :rolleyes:
  • Definitely played attacking football - check
  • Plenty of stupid goals conceded last minute. :rolleyes:
All in all - not too bad. I suppose I should be happy.