What should we do for the right wing if we don't get Sancho in the upcoming window?

Brightonian

If we cant get SAncho for £100m I would probably spend that money on Federico Chiesa and Upamecano, think we could get both for pretty much the same price as Sancho. Add Grealish for about £75m and then Jones, Perreira, Lingard, Sanchez, Rojo, Smalling out (ideally a couple more too) and you are looking at £100m odd net spend.
This never actually happens. Fans always want it because they want squads to seem neat and tidy, with only currently in-favour, in-form, top class players. But it's not how football actually works. Not in a million years would all of those names be sold or released in the same summer. You'll be lucky if even three of them leave this summer, given the covid situation.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He has a different skill set than both of them. He has qualities which they don't have, and they have qualities that he doesn't. Whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment of a top quality acquisition being paramount. Sometimes if there's a paucity of established options, it might be worth delving into younger alternatives. It might be the case that player X isn't refined enough to be regarded as a top player, but at the same time, may have a specific quality which holds in good stead compared to contemporaries. Of course, you would need to assess the young alternatives already at ones disposal and I include the youth system in that. Given our current options a go leads to my next point ...

Looking at the options at our disposal, I noticed you didn't mention Juan Mata. I was actually bitterly disappointed when his signing was announced in Jan 2013. In any case, I wonder if he can have a strong end to the season. A lot has understandably been made of the chemistry between Fernandes and Martial, but it also looked like Mata and Fernandes were cultivating a symbiotic relationship themselves. I appreciate it was awhile ago, but if you could cast your memory back to the involvement between Bruno and Mata for Ighalo's goal against Club Brugge. Just in case click me! Those are the kind of cutbacks that the likes of Arsenal, Dortmund and Man City create in abundance. Its cutbacks that someone like Martial would appreciate, as not enough of his goals are one touch finish. Instead, a number of his goals are down to his elite technical ability. Moreover, in terms of propensity to shoot, and taking up positions in offensive forays, parallels can be drawn with the personnel of Ballack and Lampard, and Pogba and Bruno. These are players that like to contribute goalwise, in this sense they would very much appreciate cutbacks. On another occasion in the same game, Bruno made another lofted pass to Mata at the back post, this time almost resulting in a goal from Mata. Against LASK, the pass sequence which led to Ighalo's goal against Brugge happened again. This one is Mata operating from a central position as exemplified by Pre-Bruno . Showing this one as its from a different position, and the type of goal we've looked more likely to score that way since the emergence of Bruno. Regarding different positions, this is useful as our other options in the attacking phase are inherently capable of causing a threat in multiple positions. I vaguely remember Bruno causing a threat to the opposition being the closest attacker on the right, either having a shot on goal or offering himself as an option on the ball, can't remember if he received it or not.

I believe its exceedingly unlikely that Marcus Edwards is even contention. In which case, I couldn't agree more that the club would not view him as a viable investment. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the Bundesliga in the foreseeable future. If I was him, I'd look at the resurgence of Gnabry, and use that as motivation. Gnabry barely got a sniff at Arsenal, and his loan spell with West Brom was even worse, . His big break being his exploits at the Olympics and eventually got another shot at a top side.

RE: The compliment on my initial post.
Since lockdown, I've noticed four posters [who I wasn't previous aware of] have caught my attention for being a great contribution to the football side of the forum, and you're one of those four.
I agree he (Edwards) offers something different to James and Greenwood and to be fair to Mata he has provided a more creative option when required from the right.

You’re absolutely right in saying a player like Mata, creative and capable of cutbacks , can help benefit Fernandes in particular but I think a key issue with this type of scenario is the narrowing that occurs too. Something that I think unfairly burdens Wan Bissaka to lock down the opponents LW while dominating their fullback on the overlap consistently.

While I don’t see him at all as a club target I understand that his skill set if honed and perfected would greatly benefit our current squad but I fear him being too early in his development to have a meaningful impact given our already youthful RW options.

What I liked about your content was a fresh name that wasn’t just plucked out of thin air. It was considered and excellently put together and so I can only say well done and I look forward to reading more. I also thank you very much for your kind words!

jesperjaap

This never actually happens. Fans always want it because they want squads to seem neat and tidy, with only currently in-favour, in-form, top class players. But it's not how football actually works. Not in a million years would all of those names be sold or released in the same summer. You'll be lucky if even three of them leave this summer, given the covid situation.
I agree with you, hence why not naming a couple more. Get what you mean about neat and tidy....but for all the clear out we have done, there are for me still a few others I feel are either not good enough or have the wrong personality/attitude. However three will definately be leaving even if it is only on further loans, no way Sanchez, Smalling or Rojo come back to the club.

jesperjaap

If we spend 75 million on Grealish I might have a stroke.
Bit gay but fire away haha. In all seriousness, I see people thinking we will get him for £30-40m, never going to happen even if they are relegated. Is a ridiculously high fee I agree but we are talking about a young English player that has captained his side for a period of time and is one of the most technically gifted dribblers we have had in this country for a number of years. The only negative for me apart from his off field problems needing to be erased is how he fits into the side. Only opinion, but I genuinely think he would be a huge player for us over the next decade in a central midfield role.

Remember seeing similar comments regarding Bissaka in January before the summer we signed him with many saying he cant attack or do anything going forward we should be signing Max Aarons or Meunier, totally disagreed. I feel defensively though still raw he is one of the best right backs in Europe, I feel similar about Grealish offensively in an Iniesta type role for us. If it wasnt for the off field stuff, his appearance and fact he has been in the championship and he was playing in Italy or something, people would be raving. He should be one of the main players in the England side and he should be playing for a big club and I disagree about him being a back up here

Last edited:

SparkedIntoLife

Ferran Torres looks an intriguing prospect. Quite an old school winger from what I've seen. There's a lot of talk Marcel Bout went to scout him but was overheard suggesting Torres was out of position on the right side and the left is his better position. However, he's mostly seemed to play that right side for Valencia and plays it well. He has a €100m buyout clause allegedly.

Although Ferran Torres looks class, he's not especially cheap so I think I'd rather wait another year for Sancho. I can see us signing Grealish for the right wing (I know he's not natural there) and then having him move central to replace Pogba next year with Sancho coming in then too.

oz insomniac

Woody has put out all his usual signing rumours, then counters it with tales of new financial imperative limiting what he can do. When rivals like Chelsea dig deep and early into the market, we again appear to wait rather than act and have excuses at the ready.

Be prepared for another what if transfer window as others do deals we can only dream about !!!

jamesjimmybyrondean

Bit gay but fire away haha. In all seriousness, I see people thinking we will get him for £30-40m, never going to happen even if they are relegated. Is a ridiculously high fee I agree but we are talking about a young English player that has captained his side for a period of time and is one of the most technically gifted dribblers we have had in this country for a number of years. The only negative for me apart from his off field problems needing to be erased is how he fits into the side. Only opinion, but I genuinely think he would be a huge player for us over the next decade in a central midfield role.

Remember seeing similar comments regarding Bissaka in January before the summer we signed him with many saying he cant attack or do anything going forward we should be signing Max Aarons or Meunier, totally disagreed. I feel defensively though still raw he is one of the best right backs in Europe, I feel similar about Grealish offensively in an Iniesta type role for us. If it wasnt for the off field stuff, his appearance and fact he has been in the championship and he was playing in Italy or something, people would be raving. He should be one of the main players in the England side and he should be playing for a big club and I disagree about him being a back up here
The record for a championship player is 30m. Grealish would cost 40 or less. 50 maximum

jamesjimmybyrondean

Ferran Torres looks an intriguing prospect. Quite an old school winger from what I've seen. There's a lot of talk Marcel Bout went to scout him but was overheard suggesting Torres was out of position on the right side and the left is his better position. However, he's mostly seemed to play that right side for Valencia and plays it well. He has a €100m buyout clause allegedly.

Although Ferran Torres looks class, he's not especially cheap so I think I'd rather wait another year for Sancho. I can see us signing Grealish for the right wing (I know he's not natural there) and then having him move central to replace Pogba next year with Sancho coming in then too.
A lot of people have different opinions about the Grealish VdB and Havertz links. Are we targeting them as backup/competition? Are we targeting them because Pogba's future is uncertain? Are they alternates to Sancho?

In my opinion i see the bolded part as the most likely to happen.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

If Villa get relegated I don’t see £40m being unrealistic. It would still be a record fee but potentially closer to £50m. It’s a lot to pay for someone who can’t get into our first XI. We need depth so a signing like him is needed but I think if they aren’t walking into the starting XI the mentality of the player is paramount.

I appreciate you say it’s only opinion but what of his current observable performances makes you think he can transition to be a Manchester United worthy CM for 10 years from being a good LW for Villa for one year?

I personally had no issues with AWB as he would slot straight into the starting XI and because he ticked all the boxes in terms of age, current ability and potential. He had a clearly defined position he could take at the club with only one aspect of his game to develop further, his attacking play, and being an ex winger I’ve always been confident he’ll do brilliantly.

There is a reason he isn’t in the England squad and the longer he isn’t the more I think Southgate knows he’s a bit of a knob.

If he wouldn’t be back up here what position given our current options would he take?

Torres is a decent prospect but as you point out wouldn’t be cheap and would be a much greater risk than Sancho.

I don’t think Ole would be stupid enough to sign Grealish and play him RW a position (as you acknowledge and I have previously evidenced) he is entirely not suited to. At this level you need someone who knows the position well.

Honestly think one of Adama Traore or Zaha would be good choices.
Traore would be incredibly fun to watch and equally frustrating at times but he’d unquestionably be a threat from RW. The issue with him is more his passing game. He creates a lot of chances from the free kicks he wins and pulling players out of position with his amazing dribbles. It would be a very different signing to Sancho but one I’d be happy with.

Zaha wouldn’t be a bad signing either but I don’t think he’d come back and I don’t think Ole would go for it. He’s got all the qualities you’d want in a dribbler but again he’s not the greatest chance creator.

So he’d be a better overall option that Traore but a worse dribbler IMO.
The record for a championship player is 30m. Grealish would cost 40 or less. 50 maximum
I could see it pushed to £60m if they don’t get relegated but that would be a very generous offer.
A lot of people have different opinions about the Grealish VdB and Havertz links. Are we targeting them as backup/competition? Are we targeting them because Pogba's future is uncertain? Are they alternates to Sancho?

In my opinion i see the bolded part as the most likely to happen.
Why do you think he’ll play RW?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I expect them to pleasantly surprise a few people over the next few weeks.
They are both great options to have James for his work rate and pace and Greenwood for his finishing ability but neither of them are outstanding creators.

I think everyone here recognises their qualities and personally I love both of them. I’m just excited to see how they play with Pogba and Fernandes feeding them.

Mark Pawelek

he can play RW too..
Unless he has a buyout clause there's little point anyone being interested in him. On current form, he's first or second choice for Real next season.

Manchester City were linked by the Spanish media on Monday, and this could all be an effort to help hype the player’s value.

Jibbs

Patson Daka. Very versatile player, can play along with Rashford in front two, play as a striker or on both wings. His style of play reminds if Mane but definitely he prefers playing more centrally. He can be utilized on the wings for a season before being used more centrally.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
he can play RW too..
Don’t tempt me Frodo...
Patson Daka. Very versatile player, can play along with Rashford in front two, play as a striker or on both wings. His style of play reminds if Mane but definitely he prefers playing more centrally. He can be utilized on the wings for a season before being used more centrally.
Would be a pointless signing (no offence) in relation to RW which is the focus of this thread.

As a striking option I’ve heard nothing but good things about his season but don’t claim to know much about him.

flappyjay

Probably going to be Werners replacement at RB Leipzig. Haven't seen any stories on it. It's just my thoughts, would be a good move for him before taking the next big step.

Jibbs

Probably going to be Werners replacement at RB Leipzig. Haven't seen any stories on it. It's just my thoughts, would be a good move for him before taking the next big step.
What I like about this guy is, he is very direct, has got a decent pace, can play anywhere in front three, connects well with other forwards and always look to score, scores with both feet too.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’m amazed they haven’t tried to get Jonathan David to be honest.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not to worry, the general is looking after the right wing as we speak.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Not if we want to win the premier league or champions league in the near future.
Surely Adama Traore would be a big upgrade on our current RW options and push us closer to a title challenge.

Champions League is a whole different matter but I don’t see how Sancho would be the missing piece for that either.

jesperjaap

If Villa get relegated I don’t see £40m being unrealistic. It would still be a record fee but potentially closer to £50m. It’s a lot to pay for someone who can’t get into our first XI. We need depth so a signing like him is needed but I think if they aren’t walking into the starting XI the mentality of the player is paramount.

I appreciate you say it’s only opinion but what of his current observable performances makes you think he can transition to be a Manchester United worthy CM for 10 years from being a good LW for Villa for one year?

I personally had no issues with AWB as he would slot straight into the starting XI and because he ticked all the boxes in terms of age, current ability and potential. He had a clearly defined position he could take at the club with only one aspect of his game to develop further, his attacking play, and being an ex winger I’ve always been confident he’ll do brilliantly.

There is a reason he isn’t in the England squad and the longer he isn’t the more I think Southgate knows he’s a bit of a knob.

If he wouldn’t be back up here what position given our current options would he take?

Torres is a decent prospect but as you point out wouldn’t be cheap and would be a much greater risk than Sancho.

I don’t think Ole would be stupid enough to sign Grealish and play him RW a position (as you acknowledge and I have previously evidenced) he is entirely not suited to. At this level you need someone who knows the position well.

Traore would be incredibly fun to watch and equally frustrating at times but he’d unquestionably be a threat from RW. The issue with him is more his passing game. He creates a lot of chances from the free kicks he wins and pulling players out of position with his amazing dribbles. It would be a very different signing to Sancho but one I’d be happy with.

Zaha wouldn’t be a bad signing either but I don’t think he’d come back and I don’t think Ole would go for it. He’s got all the qualities you’d want in a dribbler but again he’s not the greatest chance creator.

I could see it pushed to £60m if they don’t get relegated but that would be a very generous offer.

jesperjaap

But he hasbnt just been a good lw for Villa for on year. He began his career in the premiership and we were heavily linked with him then and subsequently been revealed we tried to sign him before that period. I have followed him from then and the majority of the games I have seen him play, he as playing as an attacking central midfielder and often as a central midfielder, he isnt really a left winger despite being so succesful floating from that role this season.

He hasnt really played for England as he has spent most of his time in the championship and it is expected Southgate will call him up to his next squad.There are several players in the England squad who have had off field problems so I dont think "being a bit of a knob" isnt the reason he hasnt played though yes it has perhaps hindered him from being called up in the past on one occasion anyway.

Also, why do you think he doesnt get into our first eleven exactly? WHen you look at how many combined appearances several players have made that many fans want to see the back of, it isnt getting into a side of galaticos we are talking about. Of course there have been injury problems this season with McTominay and Pogba, but who has actually shone in our midfield over the last couple of years consistently? Although signs are there we may have a decent midfield now, we havent had one for over a decade now. Its all ifs and maybes of course as we will never know until/if he signs.....but I think he would be starting and shining in central midfield for us

Stadjer

I expect them to pleasantly surprise a few people over the next few weeks.
Most expect a lot of Greenwood so him doing great things wouldnt be a huge suprise... James is just quick and i dont expect him to have turned into a great footballer during the corona period so if he did that would be surprise indeed.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
But he hasbnt just been a good lw for Villa for on year. He began his career in the premiership and we were heavily linked with him then and subsequently been revealed we tried to sign him before that period. I have followed him from then and the majority of the games I have seen him play, he as playing as an attacking central midfielder and often as a central midfielder, he isnt really a left winger despite being so succesful floating from that role this season.

He hasnt really played for England as he has spent most of his time in the championship and it is expected Southgate will call him up to his next squad.There are several players in the England squad who have had off field problems so I dont think "being a bit of a knob" isnt the reason he hasnt played though yes it has perhaps hindered him from being called up in the past on one occasion anyway.

Also, why do you think he doesnt get into our first eleven exactly? WHen you look at how many combined appearances several players have made that many fans want to see the back of, it isnt getting into a side of galaticos we are talking about. Of course there have been injury problems this season with McTominay and Pogba, but who has actually shone in our midfield over the last couple of years consistently? Although signs are there we may have a decent midfield now, we havent had one for over a decade now. Its all ifs and maybes of course as we will never know until/if he signs.....but I think he would be starting and shining in central midfield for us
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jac...verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=GB1&pos=&trainer_id=

Read that and you’ll see the extent of his game time in the PL before this season. He has only shone in the PL this season he was so incredibly raw in his first proper season (800mins) that he only got sub appearances here and there. To argue he has shone before is to rewrite history.

I have evidently been following the career of a different player then because the only good CAM performances I have seen from him are in Championship he is not and never has been a CM in the traditional sense he’s been a LW the majority of his career and occasionally CAM. He is not someone you’d play in a 4-2-3-1 in the 2 for example which I would class as an actual CM. If you want to argue 4-3-3 he could play left in the central 3 then I’d also say as a CAM but when performing that role in the PL he’s struggled as there isn’t enough space for him to carry the ball and he gets overwhelmed with other players.

He absolutely is a LW/LM but one who cuts inside. Use the width of the pitch to create space in the middle and exploit the new found space. If you have watched him play as you claim you would notice how consistently he pulls wide and cuts in. He is trying to find space to work his magic and this isn’t a criticism of his play it’s very intelligent and good management to play him there.

The freedom to float from LW is not the same as being a central midfielder where the freedom evaporates and much more responsibility defensively is placed on you. One of the reasons Grealish was played wide (which he has in interviews said he prefers due to the freedom) is because of his natural desire to find space in the final third.

Southgate is right not to throw someone who has spent the majority of there career in a struggling side or in the Championship into one of the most heavily scrutinised and high pressure teams in world football and Grealish’s immaturity will have done nothing to endear him to Southgate. Simply put Grealish only this season has proven his talent is good enough for a big club. Last season it would have been a gamble so I believe I’m well within my rights to say this season is his good LW season as it’s his only full season (or will be) in the top flight where he is consistently performing at a good standard.

I absolutely think he doesn’t get into our current XI he’s not better than Rashford so LW his best position is a no go. He’s definitely a cut below Fernandes so there goes CAM and I wouldnt drop Pogba for Grealish any day of the week.

So then you either play him RW which he’s never played consistently unless you count Notts County 6 years ago as being of a comparable level to base your argument or CM?

Now you play the following team:

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Grealish Pogba
Fernandes
James/GW Martial Rashford
If you cannot see the problem with that side and why I don’t see a place in our XI for Grealish in our current side then good luck to you.

We finally have Fred, McTominay, Pogba as great CM options who this season have shown their capability. If we want to avoid the ifs huts and maybes and you are seriously suggesting Jack Grealish who has never played an entire season at CM is a better CM option than any of those three and I’m sorry but I don’t see it and I think it’s deluded to suggest otherwise.

If you want to argue he could be a squad option id agree (not at CM) but there is no way when everyone in our current squad is fit that Grealish starts for us. Unless you drop Rashford, Bruno or Pogba and change our formation.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If there is an agreement in place and it’s another year, I think you could do worse than Willian on a free.

He doesn’t have the output in terms of goals, but is great at carrying the ball and is a natural on that side. He works hard too and is a good footballer.

Signing him on a free and focusing funds on a proper CF, and next year, turning to Sancho, doesn’t seem like a bad idea to me.

At the end of the day, we have no natural player in that position, so Willian would do nicely as a stop gap
:)

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I saw this in the press last night too! I am seriously in favor of it. He is a good option and it frees up funds for other areas of the team.

I would be seriously pro getting him in and nailing down a right sided player, finally!

jesperjaap

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jac...verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=GB1&pos=&trainer_id=

Read that and you’ll see the extent of his game time in the PL before this season. He has only shone in the PL this season he was so incredibly raw in his first proper season (800mins) that he only got sub appearances here and there. To argue he has shone before is to rewrite history.

I have evidently been following the career of a different player then because the only good CAM performances I have seen from him are in Championship he is not and never has been a CM in the traditional sense he’s been a LW the majority of his career and occasionally CAM. He is not someone you’d play in a 4-2-3-1 in the 2 for example which I would class as an actual CM. If you want to argue 4-3-3 he could play left in the central 3 then I’d also say as a CAM but when performing that role in the PL he’s struggled as there isn’t enough space for him to carry the ball and he gets overwhelmed with other players.

He absolutely is a LW/LM but one who cuts inside. Use the width of the pitch to create space in the middle and exploit the new found space. If you have watched him play as you claim you would notice how consistently he pulls wide and cuts in. He is trying to find space to work his magic and this isn’t a criticism of his play it’s very intelligent and good management to play him there.

The freedom to float from LW is not the same as being a central midfielder where the freedom evaporates and much more responsibility defensively is placed on you. One of the reasons Grealish was played wide (which he has in interviews said he prefers due to the freedom) is because of his natural desire to find space in the final third.

Southgate is right not to throw someone who has spent the majority of there career in a struggling side or in the Championship into one of the most heavily scrutinised and high pressure teams in world football and Grealish’s immaturity will have done nothing to endear him to Southgate. Simply put Grealish only this season has proven his talent is good enough for a big club. Last season it would have been a gamble so I believe I’m well within my rights to say this season is his good LW season as it’s his only full season (or will be) in the top flight where he is consistently performing at a good standard.

I absolutely think he doesn’t get into our current XI he’s not better than Rashford so LW his best position is a no go. He’s definitely a cut below Fernandes so there goes CAM and I wouldnt drop Pogba for Grealish any day of the week.

So then you either play him RW which he’s never played consistently unless you count Notts County 6 years ago as being of a comparable level to base your argument or CM?

Now you play the following team:

De Gea
Grealish Pogba
Fernandes
James/GW Martial Rashford
If you cannot see the problem with that side and why I don’t see a place in our XI for Grealish in our current side then good luck to you.

We finally have Fred, McTominay, Pogba as great CM options who this season have shown their capability. If we want to avoid the ifs huts and maybes and you are seriously suggesting Jack Grealish who has never played an entire season at CM is a better CM option than any of those three and I’m sorry but I don’t see it and I think it’s deluded to suggest otherwise.

If you want to argue he could be a squad option id agree (not at CM) but there is no way when everyone in our current squad is fit that Grealish starts for us. Unless you drop Rashford, Bruno or Pogba and change our formation.
I could go through your entire expert response, but I will simply just respond with the question, do you seriously think Grealish alongside Sancho appears to be one of our main targets so that we can sign him to add squad depth to cover Fernandes and Rashford? If you think that is why we are looking to sign him then good luck to you.

jesperjaap

Dream signing but no way Madrid let go of him. Carvajal isn't all that.
Undoubtedly a great young talent but why do you see him as a dream signing when we already have a fantastic right back in Bissaka, a good young back up who needs a season injury free in Dalot and a very promising right back coming thourgh the ranks in Laird.

I really like him too but right back alongside our goalkeepers, right back is probably the area we really dont need to address whatsoever in my opinion

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I could go through your entire expert response, but I will simply just respond with the question, do you seriously think Grealish alongside Sancho appears to be one of our main targets so that we can sign him to add squad depth to cover Fernandes and Rashford? If you think that is why we are looking to sign him then good luck to you.
You asked me why I think he wouldn’t make our starting XI I answered.

He’ll get game time being rotated but he’s not a best XI player.

The post I wrote explains my points. You make no effort to counter anything I have said and then make a patronising “good luck to you” comment? If you can disagree then do so but there’s no need for a belittling tone.

In short:
  • Grealish’s best position is a free role on LW
  • He’s not better than Rashford is at LW so can’t start there
  • Grealish’s second best position is CAM (there is very limited evidence of him being PL standard in this position)
  • He’s not better than Fernandes is at CAM
  • Some claim (as you do) Grealish would start at CM for us despite no evidence of him having any current proficiency in that role I have yet to see anyone provide evidence of him consistently playing CM to a top standard (I have provided plenty to disprove this)
  • We play 4-2-3-1 Grealish is not a CM for that formation
  • Forcing Grealish into a CM position would mean changing formation to 4-3-3 (see below quoted post for info)
  • Some claim he would be our RW
  • He hasn’t played RW consistently (7 games) since Notts County 6 years ago

So when I look at all the above (and feel free to disprove) then yes he looks like he’s coming in to be a squad option. He would get lots of game time but if you think we’re getting Sancho and Grealish I see a spot in the first XI for Sancho and a nice warm bench for Grealish.

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Sancho Fernades Rashford
Martial

Where does Grealish start? You say CM but he’s not better than McTominay and Pogba.

Well done for avoiding my trap! :lol:

I think you’re absolutely right. The only way I could advocate a Grealish starting XI role is in a midfield 3 system that has a superior DM. A reasonable example would be Leicester and City (United with Grealish included for easier comparison).

Matic
Fernandes Grealish

Ndidi
Maddison Tielemans

Rodri
Silva De Bruyne​

Now both systems have two creative players with a dedicated holder. City did better with Fernandiho holding but the point remains.

The Leicester set up has more energy and balance (hear me out) as that midfield 3 has Ndidi a pure defensive player, Tielemans who isn’t unfamiliar with a midfield 2 role and Maddison who is tireless.

City obviously have a unique approach, less energetic but effective due to the quality of the players in possession. Rodri is clearly the better ball player to Ndidi and Silva and De Bruyne have the edge too.

Now if we look at then United potential starting XI without Pogba one thing that sticks out to me is ball retention. I’d argue Fernandes, Grealish and Matic would keep the ball quite well. But Grealish isn’t as good creatively as Silva and De Bruyne and arguably Maddison and certainly doesn’t offer the defensive ability or long passing of Tielemans. Fernandes I think stands up well against them all.

At DM Matic is slower but he has done very well recently and a peak Matic would be incredible as he has the range of passing as good as Rodri and retains possession well. The issue is though that his lack of mobility would put pressure on the others to press.

Having looked at the data for all 3 systems I’m actually confident that if you put Pogba in place of Grealish I think we have the better of the 3 midfields and I’m excited to hopefully see it happen soon.

jesperjaap

The post I wrote explains my points. You make no effort to counter anything I have said and then make a patronising “good luck to you” comment? If you can disagree then do so but there’s no need for a belittling tone.

In short:
  • Grealish’s second best position is CAM (there is very limited evidence of him being PL standard in this position)
  • Some claim (as you do) Grealish would start at CM for us despite no evidence of him having any current proficiency in that role I have yet to see anyone provide evidence of him consistently playing CM to a top standard (I have provided plenty to disprove this)
  • Forcing Grealish into a CM position would mean changing formation to 4-3-3 (see below quoted post for info)

So when I look at all the above (and feel free to disprove) then yes he looks like he’s coming in to be a squad option. He would get lots of game time but if you think we’re getting Sancho and Grealish I see a spot in the first XI for Sancho and a nice warm bench for Grealish.

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Sancho Fernades Rashford
Martial

Where does Grealish start? You say CM but he’s not better than McTominay and Pogba.

You make no effort to counter anything I have said and then make a patronising “good luck to you” comment? - That was actually quoting your initial response, I could have added the "have to be deluded" part as well, but thanks for inadvertently admitting your initial response was patronising.
That is why I didnt bother to counter everything you said. At the end of the day until/unless we sign him, we wont see whether he goes into our first eleven or not. But as I said, if we are going to spend the money touted on Grealish, and he seems to be a main target, it certainly wouldnt be to sit on the bench. You can throw all your so called expert opinions and disproving of anything you want at it, until it happens we wont know so I am not going to go into the type of arguments done 1000 times on here about the contributions of some of our other players. If we do sign him in the summer, please feel free to come back to this half way through the season and talk about him sitting on the bench and being a bad investment, I will gladly hold my hands up.....but I dont think it will happen as I think he offers huge qualities to us and dont need to justify that opinion to you whatsoever, lets wait and see.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Undoubtedly a great young talent but why do you see him as a dream signing when we already have a fantastic right back in Bissaka, a good young back up who needs a season injury free in Dalot and a very promising right back coming thourgh the ranks in Laird.

I really like him too but right back alongside our goalkeepers, right back is probably the area we really dont need to address whatsoever in my opinion
I think he’s closer to a winger than a fullback. He plays as a wide right midfielder in a 3-4-3. He has great work rate and he’s an assist king from the right. I think having him on the right crossing and Rashford on the left offers good balance.

fps

In short:

De Gea
McTominay Pogba
Sancho Fernades Rashford
Martial

These are excellent points. I'd be excited about the idea of Grealish coming in but first up Sancho should be *the* signing, and secondly I think Grealish would then be the cover for left wing (Rashford/ Martial injury putting Rashford up front) right wing (Sancho? Please?) and CAM (Bruno), and he doesn't have that history of playing on the right, as you say. Not to say he couldn't do it of course but given how we're crying out for someone who truly knows how to play on the right, that would be something the technical team will have to focus on, to decide whether he could do it. If he was providing cover across those three positions he could be confident of joining knowing he'd get plenty of game time though.

Mr Smith

Surely Adama Traore would be a big upgrade on our current RW options and push us closer to a title challenge.

Champions League is a whole different matter but I don’t see how Sancho would be the missing piece for that either.
I'd love to go for Traore if we don't get Sancho but I just have this feeling Wolves will dig their heels in and not sell. I was amazed they kept hold of all their players last season; I get the sense their strong relationship with Jorge Mendez gives them a lot more power than they'd have otherwise.

bsCallout

Can't believe people would want to get Traore. That is such an '08 Liverpool signing.

He is so overrated. Can't stand the hype he's got.