g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What to do with Wayne Rooney?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Those players were decent back then and not the punchlines they became later. And you forgot to mention Rooney who often was the one setting up RVP that season.
Rooney wasnt even a shadow of himself that season, and the Rvp-Roo duo didnt really work that well. Valencia-Nani were past their best periods for us, Clev was decent kinda. But even if you call them decent, the players surrounded by Rooney now are too decent at the very very least.

Last edited:

prarek

Put him up top as our main striker. No more of this midfielder or no.10 nonsense. He's never been a playmaker.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Make him into a rug.

Stadjer

Benteke in my opinion is good enough to start and also not that good enough that he should be put in the starting lineup every game. He might be the player that would be a good rotation option for Rooney in the main striker role. Sort of like Bony or Dzeko at City.
Unlike most people on this forum i do rate Benteke and i think he is way more than just a strong tall targetman but he isnt worth the amount of money Aston Villa want for him.

Baxter

He's not good enough for what United are aiming for, but there is nobody world class available. For me, this should be his last season and we should be looking to bring in somebody at the very highest level.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Rooney wasnt even a shadow of himself that season, and the Rvp-Roo duo didnt really work that well. Valencia-Nani were past their best periods for us, Clev was decent kinda. But even if you call them decent, the players surrounded by Rooney now are too decent at the very very least.
We did not lose a match where Rooney and Van Persie both started until our loss to City in April. The duo worked a lot better than people remember. And once he came back from his leg gash that season Rooney started playing well in a support role.

Devil may care

I dont want him or something but every PL striker will score 20 goals when he's in a well gelled team who creates lots of chances. Even Danny Welbz. Why pay him 300k while many other could do the job he could? If you pay a player that money, you expect him to make the difference, he should force things, he should be our catalyst. Rooney isnt really more.
This is true, I mean look at how many goals Charlie Austin got in a crappy QPR team last season. The whole 20 goal thing isn't really the issue IMO, it's that he is treat like an elite difference making forward, and he simply isn't one, at least not these days.

rover

according to giggs we are looking forward to replenish our spine over this summer. he specifically mentioned this meant for a central defender, a central midfielder and a striker. i think this has already answered a lot of questions over here

Last edited:

mlclauhk

I think he might remind a few people how good he is, if he does get to play as the out and out striker in a 4-3-3 (and told to stay up there, as opposed to him dropping deep or playing in midfield).

fatboy

Unfortunately we have two very well paid strikers who are not going to be moved on easily, because not many clubs can even afford their wages.

I think we should just let Van Persie play out his last season. He had a tough time last season no thanks to Holland's extended World Cup run. With a full pre-season this time round, I expect him to be a lot sharper. As for Rooney, there's no reason for him to be pushed back to midfield anymore, if we get our transfer business right.

There aren't any good strikers availeble out in the market anyway, so I'd be happy to let the two of them fight for that one spot next season.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Oh Joy. Yet another Rooney thread. Seems to be a new one every week on how our top scorer is the one holding us back and should be sold.

Are you high? It wasn't Rooney's best season but he was our 2nd best attacking player that season and stepped up numerous times when RVP went missing. It's fashionable to presume Rooney and RVP have always been shit nowadays but that season they linked together very well and combined together for quite a few goals. Also, Rooney scored more goals surrounded by the "decent" players you mentioned in the season before than RVP did that season.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Give him the captain's armband, start him in his natural position and don't move him around in midfield this season. He won't score 30+ goals in a season, he will not pull any rabbits out of the hat every other game and he certainly will make us rue not having the likes of Aguero or Benzema lining up for us.

What he will do is get a guaranteed 20+ goal return, a decent number of assists and provide hunger, passion and commitment every game which will inspire the folks around him.
He is not world-class anymore (was he ever?), but he has a lot to offer and in the absence of other options on the bench and in the market, we have to believe that he'll have a great season.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's not good enough up top, he's detrimental in midfield, he's useless in the wing, he gives the manager more headache rather than solution. I think he's the only "star striker" of a team where even the manager are confused as to where to play him.

Aguero/tevez/higuain/benzema/RvP and any other top striker don't have this issue, they play as a striker, benched, or sold. Rooney's become a massive headache now, he can't be dropped or he sulked, once dropped he somehow managed to silence his doubter by playing like Maradonna (for a match or two) and goes back to being shit again, he hits the form (if any) by only a few months before getting injured and the "back from injury" excuses covers him for the rest of the season.

I've had given up hopes on him, would rather see him sold, get done and over with and buy a proper 25 years old striker who for better or worse got played as a striker. And yes, his contract fiasco made be very much biased against him.

RikRuud

Give him service and he will score. Sign a midfielder so he does not have to keep dropping deep. He will score 20+ this year. Its all about service.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Oh Joy. Yet another Rooney thread. Seems to be a new one every week on how our top scorer is the one holding us back and should be sold.

Are you high? It wasn't Rooney's best season but he was our 2nd best attacking player that season and stepped up numerous times when RVP went missing. It's fashionable to presume Rooney and RVP have always been shit nowadays but that season they linked together very well and combined together for quite a few goals. Also, Rooney scored more goals surrounded by the "decent" players you mentioned in the season before than RVP did that season.
Being the 2nd best before the likes of Nani, Valencia, Young, Welbz, Chicha is barely worthy of mention, that's the very least youncan expect of him. I dont think they linked that well to be fair. Maybe a few goals linked, but the Roo-Welbz partnership for example was far a better duo.

Your last sentence, that isnt the problem. The problem is that many dont want to accept that this Rooney isnt the same Rooney as he was 4 years ago.

BarstoolProphet

Bullshit. Certain fans have had an agenda against him since he pulled his contract shit. The same type of fan's who claim Pogba was just a money grabbing cnut and his leaving had nothing to do with playing time. Gotta love those internet ********, even when most of them have never been to a game.
Wow, that escalated quickly. You happy about your discussion style? Let's see – critizing Rooney, surely the only reasons can be:

- Not forgiven him for his contract moves
- Keyboard warrior (paraphrasing of course, since I don't know which word you censored)
- Last but not least, must be an armchair fan who never been to a game

You know, it's hard to have a fruitful discussion when an opponent enters 'monkey tilt mode' like you did straight away. And it usually happens more often when Rooney is the subject. I'll tell you what though, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and actually bother to respond to your accusations in a civil manner. Here's hoping we can get the Rooney discussion back on track.

'Not forgiven him for his contract moves'. Is there really anything to 'forgive'? It's not like he did something to me personally, although he did go from having a god-like status ("Who needs Cristiano, we got Rooney anyway") to just an important member of the squad. I'm not naive, I don't put all my faith in players being loyal to their employers no matter what. Although Rooney did surprise me, but in the end you can also find some positives for the club from the contract situation. Mainly the bit about which market opportunities that contract gave United.

'Gotta love those internet ********, even when most of them have never been to a game'. I'm not mad at you for trying to perform the whole character assassination thing on me. Not at all. Honest. Hell, I'm even impressed you managed to extract that from a single post. In a discussion where I've so far yet to hand out any information about my view on Pogba, Internet, overview of my matchday experiences (or lack of) or even Coleen Rooney's clothing range.

No, my concerns regarding Rooney is entirely based on what's happening on the pitch, not in the boardroom. Also not just what he's delivered on the pitch the last few years, but also concerns about what the future holds for United with Rooney as the potential main man. The contract, the captaincy and LvG's comments on that implies that Rooney is regarded as the main man. Our source of inspiration when the tough gets going. See, I really struggle to see that Rooney deserve that status based on what he's shown the last few years compared to when he actually deserved that rep. Granted, he can be excused at times when put in midfield but he really doesn't impress for a long period of games when playing upfront either like the other players he's compared to (Agüero, Suárez, Costa etc. – players in the bracket below Messi and C.Ronaldo). Sure, he will get us goals from time to time, and he's still capable of the odd world-class moment/match, but he's seriously lacking in consistency. And he's far from capable of leading our line for an entire season. RvP's debut season really highlighted the gulf in class between them (although both look finished now). Rooney is rapidly starting to become the jack of all trades but master of none.

Also Rooney is fast approaching the 30's which mean he's been playing day in day out at the top level for almost 15 years which surely has put a strain on his body. All signs point to him declining even further. Like I previously said; I'm not entirely for a sale of Rooney, but it's tempting to wish for it. He's still a very marketable player, and he will probably come back to haunt us if he were to be sold (I don't see him leaving for a foreign team unless it's a weird choice like Dubai or MLS, so surely he would then move to a domestic rival), but the arguments for selling Rooney grows stronger each year.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

He's not good enough up top, he's detrimental in midfield, he's useless in the wing, he gives the manager more headache rather than solution. I think he's the only "star striker" of a team where even the manager are confused as to where to play him.

Aguero/tevez/higuain/benzema/RvP and any other top striker don't have this issue, they play as a striker, benched, or sold. Rooney's become a massive headache now, he can't be dropped or he sulked, once dropped he somehow managed to silence his doubter by playing like Maradonna (for a match or two) and goes back to being shit again, he hits the form (if any) by only a few months before getting injured and the "back from injury" excuses covers him for the rest of the season.

I've had given up hopes on him, would rather see him sold, get done and over with and buy a proper 25 years old striker who for better or worse got played as a striker. And yes, his contract fiasco made be very much biased against him.
I agree with all of this, especially the bolded part. lets not forget LVG said early in the season he wasn't good enough to be his striker

RedDevil@84

Put him upfront right from pre-season and lets see. No pushing him in midfield to accomodate anyone at all and I think Rooney will flourish..
He is elephant in the room because we dont want him to play all matches up front but then judge him as an out and out striker and cry about no return of investment

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The problem is not really Rooney but more RvP imo. In Rooney I trust, I believe he will have a good next season but I'm not sure what RvPs position will be. Most likely on the bench with Wilson

Glanville95

I've said this before, but people often suggest Arsenal won't win the title while Giroud is leading the line and I'm inclined to agree with that. Now, where does Rooney rank as a PL striker? Personally I think he's on a similar level to Giroud, perhaps slightly better.

Of course, I'm sure many regard Rooney far more highly than Giroud, but I would say he's on the wane at an ever-increasing rate and isn't even a guaranteed 20+ goal a season striker anymore. Essentially, if we have title aspirations, we are not going to realise that with Rooney as the focal point of our attack.

We need a striker, that's critical. Whether van Gaal wants to stand by his assertion that 'the captain always plays' and signs a less notable back-up striker just to appease Rooney or actually goes for a marquee striker of the Benzema/Kane (I realise that might be premature) is the interesting question.

Either could feasibly have negative repercussions. Benzema would be a significant improvement and even Kane if he maintains last seasons form, but that could see Roomey shifted into midfield. Whereas if we sign a lower-tier striker, they might not provide sufficient completion or cover in the absence of Rooney.

LVG has big balls. I'm hoping - though not expecting - we'll sign a high calibre forward that displaces Rooney upfront and demotes him to the bench. Allowing us to have a balanced team without the 'elephant in the room' and having a real quality focal point to the attack. If that means installing someone else as captain, so be it. Personally I would be all for Smalling after last seasons showing.

NoLogo

I think Rooney's ability has never really been in question. It's just the fact that he only ever seems to be at his best for half or 1/3 of a season and the 1/3 good seasons seem to get more frequent the closer he gets to 30. The problem is we need a striker that can be at the top of his game for at least 3/4 of a season and Rooney just doesn't fulfil that requirement anymore. His form slumps make him also pretty unusable for every other important position on the pitch and is one of the main reasons I haven't been his biggest fan for quite a while. Not because I can't stand the guy but because he is supposed to be one of our most important players and then he goes missing for 2/3 of a season, that's just unacceptable if you want to build a team that can compete with the best in the world.

Walters_19_MuFc

Benteke in my opinion is good enough to start and also not that good enough that he should be put in the starting lineup every game. He might be the player that would be a good rotation option for Rooney in the main striker role. Sort of like Bony or Dzeko at City.
There's not that many options that would suit that role, but that's a good call, to be fair.

Maybe Berahino? His overall attributes really impress me.

Either that, or I'd probably be happy to stick with Van Persie.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
There's not that many options that would suit that role, but that's a good call, to be fair.

Maybe Berahino? His overall attributes really impress me.

Either that, or I'd probably be happy to stick with Van Persie.
This is conundrum we face with having Rooney in that:
  • There's not that many elite strikers available at the moment
  • Van Gaal will most likely continue with 4-3-3 next season
  • Rooney has been named as captain which means van Gaal will want to play him often
Therefore if we bring in a better striker what happens? Rooney would have to play out of position in midfield, out wide or he'd be benched and we all saw what happened last time he was out of favour with Ferguson in 2013. If Rooney is going to be the main man (I think he could get 20-25 goals with good service) then as you say what we need is a good striker who doesn't mind starting every game like Berahino or similar.

I think keeping van Persie is the best option and that he could get around 15 goals next season off the bench starting against teams in the cup competitions or the poorer sides in the league. Something else to consider is that we only played 44 games this season, next year it'll be minimum 48 but more likely 55-60 so he should get enough minutes if he's worried about his place in the national team.

Ricardo de la Vega

Play him as our no1 striker, end of story.
This.

I'm one of those who have "never forgiven" him for his contract shenanigans as well. There's no point selling him now though. We need him and if we wanted value for him we should have flogged him 3 or 4 years ago. Get him up top - tell him to stop coming deep to get the ball - play as an out and out striker and score 25 goals. He'll do it as well.

Someone

Something
The right thing to do is to treat him fairly, if he plays well he keeps his place, it's that simple.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Wow, that escalated quickly. You happy about your discussion style? Let's see – critizing Rooney, surely the only reasons can be:

- Not forgiven him for his contract moves
- Keyboard warrior (paraphrasing of course, since I don't know which word you censored)
- Last but not least, must be an armchair fan who never been to a game

You know, it's hard to have a fruitful discussion when an opponent enters 'monkey tilt mode' like you did straight away. And it usually happens more often when Rooney is the subject. I'll tell you what though, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and actually bother to respond to your accusations in a civil manner. Here's hoping we can get the Rooney discussion back on track.

'Not forgiven him for his contract moves'. Is there really anything to 'forgive'? It's not like he did something to me personally, although he did go from having a god-like status ("Who needs Cristiano, we got Rooney anyway") to just an important member of the squad. I'm not naive, I don't put all my faith in players being loyal to their employers no matter what. Although Rooney did surprise me, but in the end you can also find some positives for the club from the contract situation. Mainly the bit about which market opportunities that contract gave United.

'Gotta love those internet ********, even when most of them have never been to a game'. I'm not mad at you for trying to perform the whole character assassination thing on me. Not at all. Honest. Hell, I'm even impressed you managed to extract that from a single post. In a discussion where I've so far yet to hand out any information about my view on Pogba, Internet, overview of my matchday experiences (or lack of) or even Coleen Rooney's clothing range.

No, my concerns regarding Rooney is entirely based on what's happening on the pitch, not in the boardroom. Also not just what he's delivered on the pitch the last few years, but also concerns about what the future holds for United with Rooney as the potential main man. The contract, the captaincy and LvG's comments on that implies that Rooney is regarded as the main man. Our source of inspiration when the tough gets going. See, I really struggle to see that Rooney deserve that status based on what he's shown the last few years compared to when he actually deserved that rep. Granted, he can be excused at times when put in midfield but he really doesn't impress for a long period of games when playing upfront either like the other players he's compared to (Agüero, Suárez, Costa etc. – players in the bracket below Messi and C.Ronaldo). Sure, he will get us goals from time to time, and he's still capable of the odd world-class moment/match, but he's seriously lacking in consistency. And he's far from capable of leading our line for an entire season. RvP's debut season really highlighted the gulf in class between them (although both look finished now). Rooney is rapidly starting to become the jack of all trades but master of none.

Also Rooney is fast approaching the 30's which mean he's been playing day in day out at the top level for almost 15 years which surely has put a strain on his body. All signs point to him declining even further. Like I previously said; I'm not entirely for a sale of Rooney, but it's tempting to wish for it. He's still a very marketable player, and he will probably come back to haunt us if he were to be sold (I don't see him leaving for a foreign team unless it's a weird choice like Dubai or MLS, so surely he would then move to a domestic rival), but the arguments for selling Rooney grows stronger each year.
Some great points here. And as highlighted above, the consistency is just not there with Rooney. No matter how you feel about him - there's no way you can deny that he's lost that consistency. At this elite level (in any sport) - this is a vital ingredient.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I dont want him or something but every PL striker will score 20 goals when he's in a well gelled team who creates lots of chances. Even Danny Welbz. Why pay him 300k while many other could do the job he could? If you pay a player that money, you expect him to make the difference, he should force things, he should be our catalyst. Rooney isnt really more.
Danny Welbeck couldnt score 20 in a season if you gave him the 1st 10 free.

Walters_19_MuFc

People are talking about consistency, and it's certainly something Rooney can probably improve, but it can't be easy being moved around in every position. I mean, I doubt we'd see the same consistency if Costa, Aguero, etc, were moved positions.

Mister Ed

Hopefully sign a new striker and switch between playing him behind the striker (which still is his best role imo) or instead of the striker.

------------GK-------------
RB----CB-----CB-------LB
------CM-----CM---------
RAM----CAM-----LAM
----------SP-----------

Either he plays as CAM behind a new SP
Or he plays as SP with Fellaini/Mata or Di Maria as CAM

mattsville

Some great points here. And as highlighted above, the consistency is just not there with Rooney. No matter how you feel about him - there's no way you can deny that he's lost that consistency. At this elite level (in any sport) - this is a vital ingredient.
SAF recognised it and wanted him out, Gollum gave him the most stupid contract of all time, he is on similar money to ronaldo and messi, look what they produce, we are now dealing with that, he is a spent force and it is underplayed and not highlighted because he is the England national team's only hope, he never fulfilled his potential, he plays the way he wants, when he wants, giving him the captaincy I believe was an attempt to buck him up, made no odds, he is minted no matter what he does and cruises along with sporadic impact.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
SAF recognised it and wanted him out, Gollum gave him the most stupid contract of all time, he is on similar money to ronaldo and messi, look what they produce, we are now dealing with that, he is a spent force and it is underplayed and not highlighted because he is the England national team's only hope, he never fulfilled his potential, he plays the way he wants, when he wants, giving him the captaincy I believe was an attempt to buck him up, made no odds, he is minted no matter what he does and cruises along with sporadic impact.
This is a pretty harsh assessment but I agree he is not the player I had hoped he would become. To be honest, he was always an early developer and frankly he reached his physical peak by about the age of 25. There has been plenty of debate over which "version" of Rooney we prefer - the explosive youngster or the more refined player he is now - for me it is no contest and it feels almost like he has deliberately limited his game and cut things out of it, to become more of a standard #9.

He used to dribble, he used to take long shots and never stopped running. Nowadays if you ask me what his real strengths and attributes are, I am not even sure (compared with players that he should be compared with - Hazard, Costa, Aguero, Suarez etc).

AttackingFlair

Look at successful teams recently and there is always a star performer - Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard, Aguero, Suarez (for Liverpool). Players that have single handedly elevated their teams and won points. Rooney is arguably supposed to be our talisman and our star, not to mention our captain, but he simply doesnt compare to the aforementioned players, and frankly has never reached the sort of level that we have seen from those players.

For me, Rooney is the elephant in the room when we are discussing our attack - for as long as he is here, he is likely to play (even out of position), all the more so if he remains captain. This is a problem I feel.
There's no issue with criticising the current Rooney as a player but let's not re-write the past and pretend he wasn't brilliant for us. For a starters, Rooney's 09/10 season pisses over anything Hazard has ever done so far in his career. Let's not forget that Hazard never dragged Chelsea to success pre-Mourinho either.

As for your last sentence, well Van Gaal made the decision to make Rooney his captain and if he doesn't have the balls to drop him then that's Van Gaal's fault. How would that make Rooney the problem?

Next season he'll be our first choice out and out striker, when we win nothing LVG will see what Fergie saw and opt to replace him with a world class striker (in Fergie's case this was RVP). As LVG will be in his final year this will also make sense that like Fergie he'll have a short term view just to get him over the line so he can leave us a winner
Yeah because Fergie desperately wanted to replace a player who scored 34 goals from the number 10 position rather than the guys who actually played striker and scored 12 goals each respectively, Welbeck and Hernandez. Strange how Rooney kept his place as a number 10 whereas Welbeck and Hernandez played less games at number 9, right?

It's not really though is it, he's had a couple of 30 goal seasons which resulted in us winning nowt other than that he's always been on the periphery of our title successes 07-09 was Ronaldo, 2011 was really Berbatov and Nani & 2013 was obviously RVP
Yeah let's hold it against Rooney that he got injured in 09/10 season and no one could step up in his place and we lost the league by a point. Or let's hold it against Rooney that we lost the 11/12 title on goal difference, despite him actually scoring 34 goals.

He'll get that record because he's played for us as a forward for a very very long time, every striker of United quality would break that record if he played here as long as Rooney will. I reckon a real real class striker would have surely broken that record when aged 30.
Have you ever thought as to why he's played as a forward for us for a very long time and outlasted all the competition? I'm sure someone like Carlos Tevez would've had a good goal record for us by now if he had stayed, but he left because he couldn't get into the team. Maybe Rooney's done a decent job of keeping himself in the team for over a decade.

We are shafted because he is not good enough to lead us to victory of any kind and no really top player is going to come to us knowing he will be second fiddle to Rooney.
Yeah because top players are only strikers, right? Wonder how Rooney and Ronaldo managed to play together. If this Depay lad is really good then Rooney won't be holding him back, in fact a talented pacey winger is who Rooney usually brings the best out of.

A top player in Di Maria struggled with us last season, but he linked well with Rooney just fine.

Rooney isn't a top level striker anymore. He wouldn't be a starter for any other side in the top 4.
He's far better than Giroud. He'd start behind Aguero and Costa for City and Chelsea respectively. Jose rates Rooney very highly.

Aguero/tevez/higuain/benzema/RvP and any other top striker don't have this issue, they play as a striker, benched, or sold.
Is there really much of a confusion as to where to play him or is his versatility been used by manager's temporarily to cover flaws in the squad? If we sign Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger, I don't think there will be much 'confusion' this season.

Nowadays if you ask me what his real strengths and attributes are, I am not even sure (compared with players that he should be compared with - Hazard, Costa, Aguero, Suarez etc).
Football brain, passing (far better than most forwards) and finishing.