What type of player were/are you?

pseudo_canadian

Played both left and right back, sometimes defensive midfield.

I tried to mould my game after GNev - bombed forward as much as possible but also loved a good, hard tackle :D

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
A striker with lots of pace and a good finisher in my pomp. Poor first touch, so I'd rather run onto a pass than have it come to feet. Good at winning balls in the air and scored a few headers but I'm over 40 now so the good old days are long gone. Still have enough pace to worry defenders, though.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
I was a confidence forward. Unplayable on my day, fast and could score from anywhere and in any manner. Also very good technically, linked up well and make intelligent passes.

Then I would go through a dip in form where I couldn't buy a goal for months at a time, complete a pass or trap a ball. Worst feeling ever.

It's why I have a soft spot for guys like Rooney, Falcao and di Maria who obviously have the talent but are woeful when lacking confidence.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I was put on the right wing or RB because I was crap. My best moment was a Beckham-esque cross which our CF missed and then I stood around the box admiring my play while the opposition winger ran down the field unopposed to score. Good times.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I was a confidence forward. Unplayable on my day, fast and could score from anywhere and in any manner. Also very good technically, linked up well and make intelligent passes..
:lol: Yeah right mate.

Honestly... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Right footed left back.

Always played that position for any sort of proper team I played for. Just kicking about with mates and such, though, I usually played more centrally.

Boycott

Midfield. Purely since I have 2 qualities. Stamina - was a borough athletics finalist regularly during my school years, plus a really powerful shot which meant the opponents gave way to run through when I lined a shot up.

Everything else was meh though being it teenage years you only needed one or two elements to stand out. Once I started playing sunday league stuff, I still held up but the fear I struck in my fellow classmates weren't there and I ended up being a center back.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
I was a shit player, I am utterly useless at football :lol: On a rugby or cricket field though things were very different.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Many many years ago was a tall thin extremely fast and prolific striker and crap at heading
Gave up completely at 37 when I couldn't walk for 3 days after a match and had regressed to an overweight centre back nicknamed "the tank" - unfortunately that was also many years ago as well:(

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I was a keeper when I was younger, but got a bit sick of it as I grew up and then started playing up front.

I was a decent keeper but never all that good outfield to be honest. My finishing was good but first touch and build up was garbage.

Kag

Darren Fletcher. Fit, energetic, up and down the pitch and quite tidy on the ball.

Played all throughout my teenage years and I can count the number of goals I scored on two hands. When they went in, though... belters.

So, yeah, a bit naff in the end.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
A number 10.

Good pace, touch and dribbling. Got a knack for clever passes.

Shooting is abysmal though and extremely lazy so I'm a definite luxury player (one that isn't good enough to be a luxury player too).

I just play with mates now but when I was a kid I started at right back and gradually got moved forward. Was a Becks style #7 for a while and used to work on crossing everyday then became a #10.

Had a trial for Wigan as a kid but didn't want it enough, just wanted to play with my mates. Would never have been remotely good enough.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Was always a right midfielder. Used to score a lot of goals before playing 11-a side but I was probably always put on the wing because I was small and quick. Probably should have been a striker. Would have more useful there. Come to think of it, we never did have very good forwards so I don't really understand now why I didn't play there more often.

Too lazy to hit the gym and bulk and suffered to many injuries (probably because of lack of said bulk) to progress beyond age 17.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Pacey right footed left winger. Pretty tall/lean also. I'm pretty good at dribbling/passing, and create a lot of chances. I like to tell myself I can shoot, but I probably have the worst composure of anybody ever :lol:

Roman Bellic

Prick
RM/RCM: Attributes of a winger but not fast enough to actually play there, also capable of helping out the defense and occasionally covering the CDM/DLP's when and if they decide to overlap.

Devil81

Early years I was a midfielder, then it became apparent I had an eye for a goal as I was consistently knocking them in. Moved to striker and scored 25 plus a season all be it at amateur level.

Finished due to my knee some years ago and remember wishing I'd stuck with my midfield role, it's all well and good getting the goals but the midfield is the best position.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Berbatov. I had great touch and ball control, but I was rather lazy on the pitch because I rarely worked on my cardio and stamina. However, I was much faster than Berbatov, but I can't sustain it consistently throughout the whole 90 minutes, like those workhorses. Which is why I admire players like Mane, Willian, Park Ji sung, Alexis Sanchez, Welbeck, Kagawa, Schneiderlin etc.

However, unlike Berbatov, I played in midfield rather than a striker.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Wasn't interested in playing football until I was 14 when I saw Maradona in the '86 world cup. Made a promise I was going to be just like him and within my 5 a side circles and that was the nickname I finally (and deservedly :p ) earned by the time I was 17. Practice, practice, practice. I was a skinny sod though. Had a great bunch of talented mates with whom I won many local 5 a side competitions but I still wouldn't pass the ball because I craved the glory. :)

Nowadays, in my 40s, I'm more like Coutinho but with more pace even now. Sadly goals don't seem to fly in like they used to when you were younger. A mental block rather than physical as I'm still in great shape, probably better than when I was younger (putting aside the onset of osteo-arthritis).

pseudo_canadian

Quite a few people here like myself who played RB and DM, is that something across the board for most RBs
I think it's fairly common since both positions (RB/LB and DM) require similar disciplines. I am/was never an incredibly technical player. My first touch and dribbling is decent, but I pretty much always made the 'right' pass and move it along to players who can take the ball and go. But I've always read the game well and I have really good pace and good strength so playing fullback suited me. For me, I naturally became comfortable playing DM because it was similar enough to playing RB and LB - just without the overlapping runs. I prided myself on being hard on my man/the ball and making interceptions/general disruption - which I've always enjoyed more than scoring.

Nowadays I play DM more often since I'm not in the same shape as I was when I played all the time, those bombing runs forward take a lot out of you! Though I'm only 23, so maybe I'm just being a lazy arsehole :lol:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
When i played in my Law School team i was mix between Fernando Couto and Roy Keane. Unfortunately more Couto than Keane.

DeafMUFC

Played CF up to 15, used to regularly bag 40 goals a season, was fast, tall, very aggressive & had a right foot like a wand! Got selected for schoolboy football playing with several lads who are now pro. Scouted by Blackpool, played there until 16 & ended up doing a DiCanio on a ref & got banned for 5 years!!

Troubled genius lol!

Started back at 19 playing regional Saturday stuff as a continental CB started moving up the levels & broke my neck in a game at 22! Fully paralysed on the pitch, playing career over!

Without a doubt would have ended up around EvoStik, Northern Prem level just needed to commit.

So after recovering from spinal injury decided to start coaching, level 1, 2 & UEFA B all done along with Youth Mods. Worked at Utd & done some pretty amazing things! Currently work for the FA coaching part time before I start A licence.

My football career in one post!

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Played CF up to 15, used to regularly bag 40 goals a season, was fast, tall, very aggressive & had a right foot like a wand! Got selected for schoolboy football playing with several lads who are now pro. Scouted by Blackpool, played there until 16 & ended up doing a DiCanio on a ref & got banned for 5 years!!

Troubled genius lol!

Started back at 19 playing regional Saturday stuff as a continental CB started moving up the levels & broke my neck in a game at 22! Fully paralysed on the pitch, playing career over!

Without a doubt would have ended up around EvoStik, Northern Prem level just needed to commit.

So after recovering from spinal injury decided to start coaching, level 1, 2 & UEFA B all done along with Youth Mods. Worked at Utd & done some pretty amazing things! Currently work for the FA coaching part time before I start A licence.

:eek:

Very interesting post mate

Art Vandelay

No one ever figured out where to play me given my bizarre mix up of abilities and inabilities. I was invariably the quickest player on the pitch, had an absolute rocket of a shot with both feet, was an excellent crosser, a decent finisher and had ridiculous stamina. Given all that you'd assume I'd be an excellent winger, unfortunately I was a crap dribbler and had the decision making of Nani on meth. I was also prone to bizarre errors when tracking back. My own goals were often spectacular. I was at my best during my spells as a striker. Mostly because my strike partner was excellent probably.

In short I was bloody spectacular, but couldn't be trusted unless I absolutely had to carry the team on my own. Which was rare because we had much better players than me. It was when injuries started to ravage me that I actually became a decent player, if I'd had the brain I had when I finished and the lack of crippling injuries I'd had 4 years before that I'd have been excellent.

pseudo_canadian

Troubled genius lol!

What an adventure!

Aussie_Red_Devil

Was a shot stopping keeper. Wasn't the best at coming for crosses and didn't have freat distribution but have always had good reflexes.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Troubled genius lol!

Wow, I like hearing stories like these (not the injuries obviously). Good luck with the coaching. I am so tempted to pack in my job and do coaching, I just want to stay in football.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Thanks mate, hopefully interesting in a good way?
Yeah very inspiring (minus the Di Canio part :lol:)

Always wanted to have a football related career but i was never good enough. Then Law School came and i had other priorities. Coaching has always interested me but lack of time has prevented me from trying something in that area. Curious fact is that the current President of my club (Sporting) has uefa coaching credencials even though he is an economist.

Everest Red

Reddest ever

Troubled genius lol!

Fantastic.

Personally, I switched between defensive FW and attacking DM.

DeafMUFC

Just to elaborate on the post further & to share my experiences (not after pats on the back at all) in coaching.

Decided to coach just to stay involved in football as it had been the main part of my life from 6 to 22. Did the FA level one, then a disabled footballers course, level two & then B licence. Took about 5 years in total.

Wrote to United to come in as a volunteer in the disability program, loved it & stayed for four years. Filmed a documentary called Universal Language (currently showing on MUTV), filmed for MOTD with the team & Giggs, used to meet Gill, the players, past players all the time. On the opening day of the Olympics the club sent me down to London with a team of four coaches to do a corporate event. It was Michelle Obamas charity, spent the day coaching, chatting & helping Dennis Law, Schmiechel then meeting Beckham & Miss Obama herself! Amazing experience.

Currently work within cerebral palsy football for the FA gearing players towards rep status for England & GB for Rio 2016.

To sum it up there is life after playing but I would encourage anyone to play as long and as high a level as you can as you are a long time retired!

::sonny::

Position played:

RW,LW (age 8-12)
ST (age 12-15)
CM, DM (15-20)

Retire: aged 21 (2003)

Club interested in me (Triestina and Cesena 1993-1994)

Compared by others/or similar to:

RW, LW: Anderton, Donadoni
ST: Baggio, Galderisi
CM, DM: Seedorf, Redondo, Almeyda, Redknapp

DeafMUFC

Wow, I like hearing stories like these (not the injuries obviously). Good luck with the coaching. I am so tempted to pack in my job and do coaching, I just want to stay in football.
If you need any advice just give me a shout. I wouldn't quit your job though. It's a tough industry & there are a lot of snakes!