What type of player were/are you?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I thought I was a fleet-footed goal machine but found myself being a leaden-footed left back. Can we not talk about this anymore? I'm still tormented by visions of that rapid winger exposing my chronic lack of pace and bagging a hat trick.

Fully Fledged

I was a right back. I got a few assists from Beckham type crosses into the box but mainly made sure that my winger didn't cross the ball into our box.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Just to elaborate on the post further & to share my experiences (not after pats on the back at all) in coaching.

Decided to coach just to stay involved in football as it had been the main part of my life from 6 to 22. Did the FA level one, then a disabled footballers course, level two & then B licence. Took about 5 years in total.

Wrote to United to come in as a volunteer in the disability program, loved it & stayed for four years. Filmed a documentary called Universal Language (currently showing on MUTV), filmed for MOTD with the team & Giggs, used to meet Gill, the players, past players all the time. On the opening day of the Olympics the club sent me down to London with a team of four coaches to do a corporate event. It was Michelle Obamas charity, spent the day coaching, chatting & helping Dennis Law, Schmiechel then meeting Beckham & Miss Obama herself! Amazing experience.

Currently work within cerebral palsy football for the FA gearing players towards rep status for England & GB for Rio 2016.

To sum it up there is life after playing but I would encourage anyone to play as long and as high a level as you can as you are a long time retired!
Wow, it gets even better. I trully admire you for what you achieved. Hope you keep up the good work.

DeafMUFC

Yeah very inspiring (minus the Di Canio part :lol:)

Always wanted to have a football related career but i was never good enough. Then Law School came and i had other priorities. Coaching has always interested me but lack of time has prevented me from trying something in that area. Curious fact is that the current President of my club (Sporting) has uefa coaching credencials even though he is an economist.
I do it part time with a full time accounting job. It's still a hobby so I've never wanted it as a full time career but getting a good hourly salary for a hobby is a bonus.

The thing about coaching is there are methods, processes & strategies that you can use any industry. The way I work on the field now is so methodical & sequential & three years ago I wasn't like that at all but I now follow the same routes in accounting.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Crap. Started 5aSide age 30, after 13 years or so of truly alcoholic drinking and 40 cigs a day. Took 3 years to get fit, at which point I was uncoordinated, shortsighted, muscularly weak, injury-prone and completely devoid of any technique. I did however have pace, stamina, boundless enthusiasm, and was willing and able to learn effective tactics, so I managed to play about 15 years before the injuries got me, and I loved it, I mean absolutely loved it.
Ironically I've since learned to study individual technique, how to receive a ball, control it, where to play it etc, it's just a bit bleedin late.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Riquelme. Was even given a nickname after him (and Ronaldinho). I would do minimal defensive work, but whenever I got the ball I was decent enough at creating to beating a man with an array of skills. I could beat 3-4 players and then shank a shot miles wide cos I have terrible shooting ability. I was useless at any teamwork based stuff, plus the biggest problem for me was I could easily go missing in a game due to a lack of confidence and I didn't exactly care much for the physical stuff :lol:

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I was a confidence forward. Unplayable on my day, fast and could score from anywhere and in any manner. Also very good technically, linked up well and make intelligent passes.

Then I would go through a dip in form where I couldn't buy a goal for months at a time, complete a pass or trap a ball. Worst feeling ever.

It's why I have a soft spot for guys like Rooney, Falcao and di Maria who obviously have the talent but are woeful when lacking confidence.
:lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Defensive midfielder. Read the game really well and had a pretty impressive passing range on me too. Then I stopped exercising and now I'm shattered in the warm up, as a result my touch has gone from decent to Yaya Senogo and I've slowed down that much ive started this season as a centreback :( the back 4 now play a deeeeeep line now...

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Defensive midfielder. Read the game really well and had a pretty impressive passing range on me too. Then I stopped exercising and now I'm shattered in the warm up, as a result my touch has gone from decent to Yaya Senogo and I've slowed down that much ive started this season as a centreback :( the back 4 now play a deeeeeep line now...
Never thought level of fitness had much to do with first touch, but you learn something every day.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I´m still playing but the most similar player to me on professional level was probably Andreas Köpke;

Relatively short for a GK (1,85m), very strong on the line and in 1v1, average in control of the box and in the air. Prefer fisting to catching. That sounds incredibly dirty ^^

I played on a pretty high level in the youth and had three invitations to join academies (Hansa Rostock, Energie Cottbus and Hertha Berlin), but tore my ACL at the age of 16, which ended any possible career before it started. Probably a blessing in disguise as I don´t think I would have been cut out to be a professional.

Now, I play in the 6th German league and also coach a youth team of my club.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I´m still playing but the most similar player to me on professional level was probably Andreas Köpke;

Relatively short for a GK (1,85m), very strong on the line and in 1v1, average in control of the box and in the air. Prefer fisting to catching. That sounds incredibly dirty ^^

I played on a pretty high level in the youth and had three invitations to join academies (Hansa Rostock, Energie Cottbus and Hertha Berlin), but tore my ACL at the age of 16, which ended any possible career before it started. Probably a blessing in disguise as I don´t think I would have been cut out to be a professional.

Now, I play in the 6th German league and also coach a youth team of my club.
Interesting CV.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Taibi :drool:
I did save 2 penalties in a game though. Beat that Taibi!
In my two games as a forward I scored within a minute of coming on with a header while not wearing glasses (I'm basically blind) then was manmarked for the rest of the game and in the other I did a cheeky dink over keeper . Still no idea where that came from as I have the touch of a full grown elephant.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I didn't start playing properly until I was about 16. I started as a striker but my first game (in which I scored just before half-time) was abandoned due to a fairly horrific head injury to two players who were battling for a cross that was coming in.
I then moved to right wing/midfield and then into goal for a few games. I finally decided I was a right back when I turned 18 and stuck there ever since. I've suffered torn ligaments in my ankle twice and a range of other injuries which forced me to give up playing about a year ago. Miss it like mad though and used to love playing
(You could say, if you're name is Brendan Rodgers, that I'm a wing back striker most suited as a deep lying playmaker in goal)

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Goalkeeper. Played in my high school league and went on to represent my country at u21 level. I am now a goalkeeping coach in my spare time on Saturday mornings at a football academy.