What type of player were/are you?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
During colts football I was a mostly striker. I was quick, tall, and pretty good at reading the game and dribbling, but was awful (AWFUL) at finishing. So most games included a few bits of nice build-up play, as well as a few times when I took too many touches to shoot or simply mishit my shot.

I spent most of my time in the local A/B league, and except for my very first season of football (in the local D league) I was never prolific at all. I basically just played on the shoulder of the last defender, and occasionally dropped to link up play. But my worth was pretty much 'use your pace!'

I sometimes played on the wing, which was probably better suited to me because I couldn't finish, but I hated it because I was always knackered. And playing on the wing in colts football is obviously nothing like playing on the wing in the Premier League or for some glamorous ball-playing team:p. I found I was usually isolated, and tasked with controlling bobbly passes on the half-way line. And doing lots of tracking and marking up.

So that was my position until I wrecked one of my knees in sixth form, playing for the school.
Since then, I haven't played 11-a-side. But I now play a midfield role.
I basically try to do my best Thiago Alcantara impression :drool:

Try to zip the ball about, and occasionally go on a mazy run through the middle. I have shocking fitness (always have) but my technique is pretty good. I like to try to play the ball through the middle a lot.

I don't think I could be very effective in midfield for an 11-a-side team, simply because my knees are buggered, my fitness is shocking, and I'm shockingly bad in the air. But 5/6/7-a-side, where the ball is on the deck a lot more and the pitch is smooth, I think I'm a pretty good player.

What about you guys?

Jerch

Played futsal, was "a striker" but always prefered the position in "defense" but till the very last moment never got that position because i was always the youngest in the team and was a player who want to take a risk with a dribble so they didn't trusted me. Usually scored after dribbling from wide past one player but i was crap at finishing with my first touch - that is why i hated being a striker.
Got myself into the best team in the league in our town in 3 years with help of my older brothers who already played there and got an opportunity to play as the last man against one of the weakest teams - i did great and break into the first team in defense, got good understanding with my brother who was "striker". Sadly when i was starting to play better then i ever dreamed i got married very early, i had no time to travel a long distance to trainings and stopped playing there. I didn't kicked a ball at least a year and didn't played seriously for 4 years now sadly. Still i have hope that i will start playing again soon since i am still very young.

Was always a player who can go past one or two players (it is rarely that you dribble past more than one in the futsal), fast, could find a pass and could shoot very well but i had terrible first touch if the ball was not perfect even with the ball which don't bounce of you foot so much. Also i was hardworking but was not perfect at defending.

BootsyCollins

Started off as a right back as i was strong and had a good long pass. My team sadly played alot of long balls for a pacey striker.

Switched team when i did not want to play like that anymore, and became a central midfielder.
I could read the game pretty good and had a good pass so i guess i was something like a playmaker. Got a goal here and there from long shots and free kicks.
I was doing basket and cross country skiing at the same team so i had good stamina.

Stopped playing when i rather got drunk than play a match.
Miss it extremly much though, so i am a trainer for a kids team now.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Defensive midfield. Played in school, in college and a bit with pub teams later. People have suggested I was occasionally over physical but not true. :angel:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
During my school pomp, I was a forward. Wasn't the tallest but I was rapid, built and I could nutmeg a mermaid. Plus, humble brag coming up, but I'm amazed how good of a finisher I was in hindsight. Not saying this due to the emergence of Martial now, but I used to finish Henry-esque every match. I miss those days.

Play a wee bit deeper now in 5/6 a side. Not too deep, but behind the forward or something. I enjoy passing more than scoring at the moment. Don't play it too often because I'm constantly moving around but I'll get back into it in a couple of months once I'm back with a good group of lads again.

botond

on the grass - played in pub teams and some very low division local teams . i was a gattuso type of a player , strong and fast . never had to much to do with the football . usually was put on the oppo nr10 to makes his day shite
in futsal where i actually could control the ball i was beast . stronger then most and equally fast . usually had the strongest shot on the field . i did sports all my life (swimming 5 years , basketball 6 ) was never gifted but always dominated with sheer power and endurance

Minkaro

I played a handful of 11-a-side games, twice at LB, once at CB, once at RB, once in CM, and once up front. I was rubbish at all of them, and was mainly told to "try and get in their way." Actual teammate quote: "I SAID HOLD THE BALL UP," to which the opposition CB replied "he did...he just held you up as well."

I play futsal now, and basically spend my time running around trying to get in the opposition's way (again), and then passing the ball on to the better players. I have a lot of luck playing futsal though. I'll try to control the ball, and it'll flick off my foot to a teammate, and look like a genius pass.

Bape

Winger who is left footed. Prefers playing on the right side as an inverted winger. Pretty quick and skillful, also like to abuse the finesse shot. Passing is hit and miss and so is decision making. Can play as an attacking midfielder but quite lacking in defensive contributions. I've been likened to Di Maria, but mainly because I'm left footed, quick but not strong and inconsistent more than anything else.

Lyricist

I consider myself a mix of Yaya Toure and Luiz Gustavo. Just a lot better than the two aforementioned crooks.

Ok, I guess in reality we're all even.
Also is it racial thinking that I found myself inclined to name players with my skin color haha?

El Zoido

Right wing/forward throughout my schoolboy/teen years. I stopped playing when I went to university, wish I hadn't. I was pacey and could put in a good cross but I could also finish pretty well too, but lacked physicality. I'm in my 30's now but I still remember many of my best goals like they were yesterday.

Heine

I was the classical target man. Tall with ok jumping, nice heading and no real football technique at all... I was usually benched by my team and thrown into the game at the end if the coach had no other ideas...

When playing with friends just for fun (and at a really low level) I like to play as a b2b-midfielder. I got some stamina and vision, which is enough at hobby level for that :-p

We need an rvn

back in my younger days playing in Holland I was an Ashley Cole style left back with an eye for breathtaking volleys that had the onlookers gasping in awe...Scouted by NAC Breda but was told by my parents we were moving to USA and didn't play for 4 years.

Started up a 8-a-side game in Manchester 10 years ago (Parrswood near Didsbury) where i'd say as "El Capitain" i was more a Keane style midfielder and in the last year before i moved down south recently i turned to more of a Baresi style defender (with with the knack for breathtaking volleys of course!!!!)

Jerch

I played a handful of 11-a-side games, twice at LB, once at CB, once at RB, once in CM, and once up front. I was rubbish at all of them, and was mainly told to "try and get in their way." Actual teammate quote: "I SAID HOLD THE BALL UP," to which the opposition CB replied "he did...he just held you up as well."

I play futsal now, and basically spend my time running around trying to get in the opposition's way (again), and then passing the ball on to the better players. I have a lot of luck playing futsal though. I'll try to control the ball, and it'll flick off my foot to a teammate, and look like a genius pass.
Bravo for that post.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Started as a second striker - scored 14 in one game.
Then became an attacking midfielder in a diamond with occasional shifts on the right because Scholes and Becks were my favourite players at the time.
Ended as a Michael Carrick style DM.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It depends on what level of football or opposition I was playing at. I was quite good once, Chelsea sent reps to my house to try and sign me twice as a 14 year old, but then I moved to Nigeria so that was a non-starter. I also represented Nigeria at youth level once.

Anyway, the point was, I think I was probably best as a 10, or a Fabregas- type central midfielder. That said, depending on the level, I could easily play centre forward and score a fair few too. I was fairly quick, and was good in the air and could dribble, but I think my best asset was football brain/vision. I was always weak though, which prevented me playing centre-forward at the most competitive of levels. Centre-halves would swallow me in a physical battle, so I'd need to approach them with the ball already at my feet.

In my younger days, I was a right-winger predominantly, but that's a slave job, and as my fitness declined, I stopped playing there because that running up and down the wing all day was not for me. I played centre half in one tournament, or more like a Koeman/Mattheus sweeper-type and I really enjoyed it. Loads of space back there and lots of the ball.

Overall though, I think if I played at the most competitive level I could, I would be a 10 or second striker. I didn't like running around much, nor a physical battle, so I liked to play in space.

Marty1968

Think I've pretty much played every position over the years, apart from right back.

Started as a nippy winger/striker, then moved back to centre mid as could run all day. Then to a Desailly style no messing centre half but with the pace and vision of Rio before finally moving back to centre mid to a BFS role.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Started in my youth as a pacy, clinical striker. An Aguero, if you will.

Got older, taller and fatter and naturally became a centre back, as I was big. Scared of heading the ball, didn't like this very much.

Retired for a few years until this season and now play as a central midfielder, but pushed up top when in need of a goal.

So a cross between Aguero, Fellaini and Jonny Evans, really.

ManUnitedCanuck

I was a Vidic type of centre back. Not the greatest on the ball or skill wise but a big, strong centre back that would throw my body in the way if needed. Read the game well. Not the quickest but always had a step on people as I anticipated very well. Always up for a good tackle when required!

Very tall individual, so would win many aerial duels, and typical bag about 6-10 from corners and set pieces.

Played fairly competitively until I was in my mid 20s when I wrecked my back. That was the end of those days.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Mostly goalkeeper, but played in centre of defence and midfield on occasion as well. Zero pace, but I've been 6ft6 since I was 16, so I was usually stuck in whatever position needed a 'big man'.

I was better in goal than anywhere. Decent stopper, two footed, bigger than most so I could claim crosses pretty easy. I gradually got worse after leaving school, when I couldn't just spend all my time playing football, and had to study at college and work and stuff.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I played a bit of 5 a side and the likes for a few years, but I think of myself as something like a Michael Carrick. Sitting deep, playing the ball out from the back and making lots of crucial blocks and interceptions. I am a bit more physical than Carrick, even though im not that big or muscular I dont mind putting myself about a bit and putting my body on the line.

Cina

Mostly goalkeeper, but played in centre of defence and midfield on occasion as well. Zero pace, but I've been 6ft6 since I was 16, so I was usually stuck in whatever position needed a 'big man'.

I was better in goal than anywhere. Decent stopper, two footed, bigger than most so I could claim crosses pretty easy. I gradually got worse after leaving school, when I couldn't just spend all my time playing football, and had to study at college and work and stuff.
Bloody hell, bet the girls loved that at the time.

Anyway, I've no idea what I'd be now. I only play astro these days cause of my knees. My managers didn't know what I was either when young. I started as a right back, then a winger when one manager saw how quick I was (was being the affirmative word), then a 9/10 in university, then my knee got crocked. Now I don't have the pace, so I guess midfield, maybe? Feck knows.

Parry Gallister

Always always unfit (smoker), good at going past players and better than good vision/passing, average first touch, always tried to cover too much ground, likely lacked positional discipline and enjoyed the defensive side a lot. Basically Rooney :(

Brophs

The One and Only
Usually in midfield. Talented enough to have an inflated sense of how good I was, but not nearly talented enough for me to have held that view. Basically lazy at times and a pain in the arse. Though I would score around 20 free kicks a season (mainly due to the size of the goalies compared to the size of the goalposts). I once got sent off for a professional foul and booted the ball into a neighbouring house, even though it was obviously the right decision. Bit of a dickhead.

Hammerfell

I used to be a goalkeeper at school; I've got pretty good reflexes and concentration but I was too short to play it at any level above that.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm my own mentor.
As a result, I'm shite.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I was a shoot on site striker. Did not much more than that.

Last edited:

Cerpin

When I was about 16, I remember my coach giving us all evaluations and comparing me to John O'Shea. Mind you, this was ten years ago, or so; in other words, we're talking about the Figo-nutmegging-marauding-down-the-left Sheasy. Although, I've probably regressed similarly to O'Shea. I mostly play as a centre-back, I'm tall, good at reading the game, decent with both feet, good passer, and not too shabby on the ball. Also, if given time, I can pull off a rocket shot with my right. On the other hand, I'm slow with horrible stamina and not very good in the air for someone 6'5."