What will it take to sack moyes?

Empire

Your admission you were wrong, finally. Had you put it four pages back, you would have saved us both time.

De Rossi's availability only a rumour like the last 5 years even when Rudi and Danielle stated otherwise :lol:

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sources: Moyes must push for Europa

David Moyes is being placed under greater pressure at Manchester United as the club's owners, the Glazer family, are demanding Europa League qualification, club sources have told ESPN.

United no longer have any realistic hopes of qualifying for next season's Champions League, but reaching UEFA's second-tier tournament is still very much a possibility.

While sources say the manager has not been given anything like an ultimatum, reaching European competition is now seen by the club's owners as a major target for the remainder of the season.

Although there is an external perception that a lack of continental football may actually aid the side next season, as has been the case in this campaign with Liverpool’s title challenge, that is not the view at the top levels of the club. The Glazers see such games as exceptionally significant in terms of revenue, particularly given the level of attendance that United usually guarantee.

Club sources have told ESPN FC that the “cold reality” of failing to qualify for the Champions League has hit the owners since last month's quarterfinal elimination by Bayern Munich, with the manager’s situation now having changed again since the initial last-16 victory over Olympiakos.

The 3-0 second-leg win in that tie seemed to have secured Moyes’ status, but it is understood his position is no longer quite so safe.

While, according to sources, he is not “on the brink of the brink,” as was the case following the 2-0 first-leg defeat to the Greek side, a summer sacking is still far from unthinkable.

That latest shift reflects some of the debate that has gone at boardroom level regarding Moyes’ performance, and the way the pendulum of opinion has swung.

ESPN FC has been told doubts first properly grew among the hierarchy after January’s 2-1 FA Cup defeat at home to Swansea City, which was the initial point at which key figures had even contemplated that the manager’s tenure perhaps should not be as long term as initially anticipated. Since then, the Glazers have also taken a much more active interest in weekly performance.

United’s form has picked up in the last month, however, with three wins in their last four Premier League games and a respectable showing against Bayern in the Champions League.

That has moved them to within three points of sixth-placed Tottenham Hotspur with a game in hand, not to mention a vastly superior goal difference compared to the Londoners.

Seventh place would be enough for United to qualify for the Europa League in the event of Arsenal winning the FA Cup but finishing fifth.
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1788564?&cc=5739

This is by Miguel Delaney, who is pretty reliable. Interesting that Moyes will be reviewed in the summer and Delaney is saying on Twitter that he would not be surprised if Moyes is sacked in the summer.

MoskvaRed

This is by Miguel Delaney, who is pretty reliable. Interesting that Moyes will be reviewed in the summer and Delaney is saying on Twitter that he would not be surprised if Moyes is sacked in the summer.
Interesting, although, take away the misplaced emphasis on stability that has arisen due to a misreading of the Fergie years, then it would be amazing if businessmen like the Glazers were not thinking along these lines.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace

If true-all sounds very reasonable. No way the board would simply give Moyes a pass for this year-so it makes sense to evaluate his performance and see if he merits continuing on. Although United have assured investors that missing out on CL this coming year is OK from a financial perspective, I assume the board view this as a failure from a footballing management perspective. We'll wait and see-but the story may be the basis for Moyes lately making fewer pronouncements about having the board's backing.

MoskvaRed

If true-all sounds very reasonable. No way the board would simply give Moyes a pass for this year-so it makes sense to evaluate his performance and see if he merits continuing on. Although United have assured investors that missing out on CL this coming year is OK from a financial perspective, I assume the board view this as a failure from a footballing management perspective. We'll wait and see-but the story may be the basis for Moyes lately making fewer pronouncements about having the board's backing.
It would also appear to put a fair bit of emphasis on the Everton game since our other remaining fixtures are against sides that are either poor, disinterested (Southampton) or focused on other matters (Hull). Not in the sense of "make or break" but a final chance to show discernible progress against decent opposition.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Its still based on his opinion like he says here. He expects a club of the stature of United to review this season objectively and make decisions on everything including the manager's future over the summer but we've been operating by a different set of rules to everyone else for a while, like making a managerial appointment without holding an interview process etc.

PlayerOne

Come on now, it's been reported for a while now that there will be a review at the end of the season, it's not outrageous to say that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
God knows what it will take to sack Moyes. I mean name me one manager who took the champions to 7th place and was able to still hold his job.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
I think there's a big difference between a pro-forma and critical analysis of performance-which I assume is being referred to here. I suspect that Fergie received a year-end review of his performance-but his job was never on the line. It's a different review process altogether when a boss is not happy with an employee's performance. So--the board may ask tough questions of Moyes-and the extent to which the board agree with a narrative that Moyes will likely offer: that many of the things that went wrong were outside of his control may be a large factor in the board's decision to keep him.

A1X

God knows what it will take to sack Moyes. I mean name me one manager who took the champions to 7th place and was able to still hold his job.
"We're different"

"Fergie got 4 years"

"United way"

Blah blah blah...basically take at least one of the following and just sort of put some other words with it and you'll magically find the reason we haven't sacked him. Apparently.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Closest I can think in recent times was Benitez going from 2nd to 6th but he of course got sacked.

The lack of candidate interviews looks really ridiculous in hindsight. You have to think he'd come off as a very uninspiring choice in an interview. His background was one thing but surely he (and any other candidate) should have been required to explain why they are the right person for the job.

PlayerOne

Also, if Moyes' position is under consideration then the Glazers meeting up with van Gaal makes a bit more sense now.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Neither rafa nor young SAF where managing the champions back then.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Closest I can think in recent times was Benitez going from 2nd to 6th but he of course got sacked.

The lack of candidate interviews looks really ridiculous in hindsight. You have to think he'd come off as a very uninspiring choice in an interview. His background was one thing but surely he (and any other candidate) should have been required to explain why they are the right person for the job.
Benitez also managed to take Treble Inter to 7th, but then he was sacked around X'mas.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That's at least 3 matches now that are, apparently, connected with grave misgivings within the board about Moyes continuing (or so I've read). Seriously, if these stories are true, if the doubts are that strong & that regular in occurence, what's the point in continuing to employ him? Apart from anything else, he can't go on with such a lack of boardroom/ownership support. It seems that it'd be better for (nearly) all concerned if Moyes was allowed to make a dignified - though stage-managed - exit after the season's over.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I hope whatever decision comes immediately after the season is finished or may be even before that. We just cannot afford another summer of the new manager needing time to assess the situation nonsense in the transfer market. If it is Van Gaal, I doubt how he'd even be making any transfers while being tied up with the Dutch NT.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I hope whatever decision comes immediately after the season is finished or may be even before that. We just cannot afford another summer of the new manager needing time to assess the situation nonsense in the transfer market. If it is Van Gaal, I doubt how he'd even be making any transfers while being tied up with the Dutch NT.
Or he could just tap up half the squad?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
That's at least 3 matches now that are, apparently, connected with grave misgivings within the board about Moyes continuing (or so I've read). Seriously, if these stories are true, if the doubts are that strong & that regular in occurence, what's the point in continuing to employ him? Apart from anything else, he can't go on with such a lack of boardroom/ownership support. It seems that it'd be better for (nearly) all concerned if Moyes was allowed to make a dignified - though stage-managed - exit after the season's over.
This is my logic as well Steve. Too much smoke for there not to be at least some moderate smouldering occurring in the boardroom. I think he's gone myself, but many will disagree.

Adebesi

It would also appear to put a fair bit of emphasis on the Everton game since our other remaining fixtures are against sides that are either poor, disinterested (Southampton) or focused on other matters (Hull). Not in the sense of "make or break" but a final chance to show discernible progress against decent opposition.
That's a very good point.

PlayerOne

Spot on, Steve. I'm guessing there's some conflict within the board, with some wanting to give him another chance while others don't think he's the right man.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
And that's before we even consider whether the squad has any faith in DM.

stevoc

Benitez also managed to take Treble Inter to 7th, but then he was sacked around X'mas.
Ranieri at Valencia in 04-05 is probably the closest comparison. Took Benitez' Valencia from Champions to 6th place but again, he was sacked in February.
Taking those examples into consideration, from a footballing point of view it really will be amazing if Moyes somehow gets away with this abomination of a season he has presided over.

Setting aside a lot of the stuff which has been discussed to death on here to try to explain why he has been so bad this season. Purely on the football side he really should be out the door come may in my opinion.

At any other club on planet earth he would be gone already or in the very near future, it wouldn't even be up for discussion that he could stay. What makes us so different?

I don't honestly think that we are that different, which is why i think theres a good chance he will go this summer.

I have been thinking for a while now that if he does survive until next season he will have done so for non football reasons. Primarily people having too much pride to admit they made a mistake and a massive one at that. And for appearances from a PR angle after all the fluff we came out with last summer about giving managers time.

MoskvaRed

Taking those examples into consideration, from a footballing point of view it really will be amazing if Moyes somehow gets away with this abomination of a season he has presided over.

Setting aside a lot of the stuff which has been discussed to death on here to try to explain why he has been so bad this season. Purely on the football side he really should be out the door come may in my opinion.

At any other club on planet earth he would be gone already or in the very near future, it wouldn't even be up for discussion that he could stay. What makes us so different?

I don't honestly think that we are that different, which is why i think theres a good chance he will go this summer.

I have been thinking for a while now that if he does survive until next season he will have done so for non football reasons. Primarily people having too much pride to admit they made a mistake and a massive one at that. And for appearances from a PR angle after all the fluff we came out with last summer about giving managers time.
I think that, for the owners, the "fluff" as you rightly call it about giving managers time and the "United Way" will play a very poor second to cash flow. And, in that sense, Moyes has been a disaster in terms of missing top 4 while 65 million has been spent. He also has no track record (aged 50) of competing at that level. So all logic points to a parting of the ways in May. It was a quixotic experiment to create Fergie mark 2 on the basis of superficial similarities and has predictably failed. Now it is time to make a prudent business decision and appoint a grown up manager.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think that, for the owners, the "fluff" as you rightly call it about giving managers time and the "United Way" will play a very poor second to cash flow. And, in that sense, Moyes has been a disaster in terms of missing top 4 while 65 million has been spent. He also has no track record (aged 50) of competing at that level. So all logic points to a parting of the ways in May. It was a quixotic experiment to create Fergie mark 2 on the basis of superficial similarities and has predictably failed. Now it is time to make a prudent business decision and appoint a grown up manager.
Quite how they got it that wrong last season is simply beyond comprehension, people laugh at Chelsea for chopping and changing, but I honestly think a competent manager in January would have saved 4th place for us.

MoskvaRed

Quite how they got it that wrong last season is simply beyond comprehension, people laugh at Chelsea for chopping and changing, but I honestly think a competent manager in January would have saved 4th place for us.
I agree - we could have salvaged fourth if we had bitten the bullet in January. Instead, we have been hearing a succession of excuses based on contorted logic about how the runaway champions of last season have become hopeless and can't hope for fourth even against a mediocre, spineless Arsenal (to say nothing of Everton and Spurs).

Cal?

CR7 fan
I agree - we could have salvaged fourth if we had bitten the bullet in January. Instead, we have been hearing a succession of excuses based on contorted logic about how the runaway champions of last season have become hopeless and can't hope for fourth even against a mediocre, spineless Arsenal (to say nothing of Everton and Spurs).
Big clubs have had seasons, I cannot honestly remember the last time any of the biggest clubs in the world (Real, Barca, United, Bayern) failed to make the CL... :rolleyes:

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Big clubs have had seasons, I cannot honestly remember the last time any of the biggest clubs in the world (Real, Barca, United, Bayern) failed to make the CL... :rolleyes:
Since 2000 Real Madrid's lowest league position was 5th (in 2000). After that year they never finished lower than 4th. Barca's worst league position since 2000 was 6th in 2003 and beside that year never finished lower than 4th. Bayern's lowest league finish since 2000 is 4th in 2007. Our lowest position (before this year) since 2000 was, of course, 3rd.

Barca's manager to start the 02/03 season was Van Gaal-who was fired in January 2003. The Real Madrid manager who started the 99/00 season (John Toshack) was fired in November 1999. Bayern kept their manager finishing 4th.

So yeah-it's pretty unprecedented for an elite club to keep its manager after missing out on CL-in fact most times the manager gets sacked during the season-but I guess we're different.

Mersault

Would be great to finally get Sneijderman! Otherwise we already have RvP, other than Strootman and Robben there aren't many in that squad we'd want.
Sneijder is waning. Robben, although he'd obviously not leave Bayern, wouldn't really represent the future, he's getting on a bit. Strootman, is he that good?

Hypothetically speaking.

It's a fair point that van Gaal would be pretty tied up for the summer and it would risk a repeat of last year's. Unless the club has moved on with transfers and is ready to sign players from the start of the window, it would be a big concern. The most positive thing about these rumours is not van Gaal, but that we might appoint a new manager.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Sneijder is waning. Robben, although he'd obviously not leave Bayern, wouldn't really represent the future, he's getting on a bit. Strootman, is he that good?

Hypothetically speaking.

It's a fair point that van Gaal would be pretty tied up for the summer and it would risk a repeat of last year's. Unless the club has moved on with transfers and is ready to sign players from the start of the window, it would be a big concern. The most positive thing about these rumours is not van Gaal, but that we might appoint a new manager.
yeah I was sarcastic regarding Sneijder.

The main issue with appointing van Gaal for me is making a change for the sake of making a change. There's again the risk of another disastrous transfer window unless we also appoint a director of football interested in tying up transfer deals without Van Gaal's direct involvement. We might get better just by having a more tactically sound manager but the summer may not be the ideal time for both him and us and it will be unfair on him to distract him from the world cup.

First of all we need to dispose a good deal of deadweight off the squad to create room for new arrivals and all this will likely take a lot of work throughout the summer.

Cal?

CR7 fan

The main issue with appointing van Gaal for me is making a change for the sake of making a change. There's again the risk of another disastrous transfer window unless we also appoint a director of football interested in tying up transfer deals without Van Gaal's direct involvement. We might get better just by having a more tactically sound manager but the summer may not be the ideal time for both him and us and it will be unfair on him to distract him from the world cup.

First of all we need to dispose a good deal of deadweight off the squad to create room for new arrivals and all this will likely take a lot of work throughout the summer.
Van Gaal wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't for a moment think a guy like him will have no "short list" of players he'd like to work with if he takes a club job anywhere, Wenger famously signed Vieira before he even arrived in England and many other managers have got their new clubs to tie up signings before their own contract starts.

Also, this Dutch squad doesn't look like they'd be at the WC that long anyway.

Mersault

Aye. I think it's imperative to appoint a top class manager. I'd take van Gaal with an OK transfer window to Moyes with a great one. But as there are multiple options, I'd take neither.

With regards to a director of football role, I think it would rightly repel the best managers from taking on the job. It wouldn't surprise me though, if Woodward has been acting in that sort of capacity being instructed by the board which targets to properly pursue, if they've decided to let Moyes go. Then Woodward would enlighten our prospective targets about which sort of managerial appointment we're likely to make.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Van Gaal wouldn't be my first choice, but I don't for a moment think a guy like him will have no "short list" of players he'd like to work with if he takes a club job anywhere, Wenger famously signed Vieira before he even arrived in England and many other managers have got their new clubs to tie up signings before their own contract starts.

Also, this Dutch squad doesn't look like they'd be at the WC that long anyway.
I'd like that a lot. A more proactive approach could have saved Moyes and us a lot of headache over this season and I'd have no issues if Van Gaal arrives by hitting the ground running.