What will Ole's next job be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Erm no. We’ve already got someone with a better track record. I think we'll finally break the curse and qualify for the Euros so can't see the job being available until 2025-26.

My guess is he'll become a technical director at either Molde or Kristiansund. And then he'll aim to get a similar job at United somewhere along the line. United is his drug so he'll be desperate to be back one way or another once enough time has passed :nervous:
I think the same, and I guess it would be a role that would suit him better at a club like Utd. What I can't wrap my head around though, is people saying he won't get a managerial job at a decent level again. The guy finished 3rd and 2nd in the most competitive league in the world, which irrespective of the money spent is enough of an achievement to land him a job soon, should he wish for it. Moyes had disasters at Utd, Sociedad, and Sunderland, even West Ham the first time but he has revived his career, so no doubt in my mind Ole will do the same.

spiriticon

I think a stint in Spanish or Italian football will do wonders for him.

Moyes went to Real Sociedad and ok, he wasn't successful, but I bet he took a lot of experience and ideas back to the UK and is reaping the rewards for that now.

Max_United

This has been one of the worst ideas on the caf for the last 2 years.
Exactly. I am amazed how many seem to think that DoF role is simply "identity best players on paper without regard to their fit in terms of style of play".

And that not considering (a) the fact that there is no evidence that Ole is the main voice behind transfers, as opposed to one of the voices - and even if we were - (b) our transfer policy was just somewhat better than under Jose/LvG which is a very low bar (c) there were no hidden jems uncovered who signed for relatively little money and play at least a prominent squad role let alone first team (d) the squad is unbalanced and contains too many fringe players on high wages who almost never play.

Revan

Assumptionman
An impossible job at Cardiff City, coming in at January no less. Many managers would struggle.
I wouldn’t say it was impossible considering that they were 17th (outside of relegation zone) when he joined, and they finished 20th at the end of the season. They were getting 0.9points per match before him, and 0.6 with him (a drop of 33%), which is a massive drop. He also spent quite a lot there (40m), and then left them flirting with relegation in championship.

So while Cardiff were bad, he made them quite worse.

sugar_kane

I wouldn't be astonished to see him get a PL gig again in the future, but it won't be for a few years - the memories of the end of his United tenure are too raw and will be for a while.

First there will be the revisionism of his time here - it happens with every single manager who has managed us post-Fergie, that he wasn't given enough time, achieved X, Y & Z. Some of the stats/records/league finishes/cup runs he achieved will speak for themselves without the context of his last couple of months.

Secondly, everyone currently just speaks of him as an ex-Molde/Cardiff manager. He now has 3 years of managing Man United on his CV and regardless of what you thought of how well he coped with that (and I'd say it's a lot better than many gave him credit for) that is a crazy level of experience for a team in desperate need of a manager.

Finally, it was only a few weeks ago when Lampard was being touted as Norwich manager. If he can find a job in the PL after a relatively short amount of time so can Ole.

He just needs to make sure that for his next job he has a more experienced coaching team, and learns from his mistakes at United around things like squad rotation.

Max_United

I wouldn't be astonished to see him get a PL gig again in the future, but it won't be for a few years - the memories of the end of his United tenure are too raw and will be for a while.

First there will be the revisionism of his time here - it happens with every single manager who has managed us post-Fergie, that he wasn't given enough time, achieved X, Y & Z. Some of the stats/records/league finishes/cup runs he achieved will speak for themselves without the context of his last couple of months.

Secondly, everyone currently just speaks of him as an ex-Molde/Cardiff manager. He now has 3 years of managing Man United on his CV and regardless of what you thought of how well he coped with that (and I'd say it's a lot better than many gave him credit for) that is a crazy level of experience for a team in desperate need of a manager.

Finally, it was only a few weeks ago when Lampard was being touted as Norwich manager. If he can find a job in the PL after a relatively short amount of time so can Ole.

He just needs to make sure that for his next job he has a more experienced coaching team, and learns from his mistakes at United around things like squad rotation.
I do not rate Lampard as a manager highly at all (do not think he is much better than Ole, questionable even if better at all), but he would be above Ole in shortlists of managers made by most CEOs (at least those who are not United fans) due to a multitude of reasons:

1. He had on paper a quite successful stint at Derby at championship level, Ole failed at this level - and that is level closer to what they both now can aim. Recent bottom half PL manager recruits - Smith and Howe had both history of success at Championship level. Gerrard was also hired on the back of success in lower league.

2. Lampard finished top4 and made a cup final with Chelsea in his first season whilst under transfer embargo. Ole only finished top4 first time after around 200m spent - and does not have history of operating on a modest budget at all.

3. Outside United Lampard is a much bigger name due to being a more successful/famous player.

4. Lampard on paper has only one failed stint that can theoretically be viewed as one-off, and one viewed as rather successful. Whereas Ole had some decent/good seasons in between - he regressed at Molde, totally failed at Cardiff and in the end failed at United.

Just look at Di Matteo career after Chelsea. The types of chances he got is the best that Ole could hope for (and if he does not take the next chance he is definitely done at top level) - and nobody outside of some United fans would argue that Ole's CV is better now than Di Matteo's was when he was sacked at Chelsea.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I do not rate Lampard as a manager highly at all (do not think he is much better than Ole, questionable even if better at all), but he would be above Ole in shortlists of managers made by most CEOs (at least those who are not United fans) due to a multitude of reasons:

1. He had on paper a quite successful stint at Derby at championship level, Ole failed at this level - and that is level closer to what they both now can aim. Recent bottom half PL manager recruits - Smith and Howe had both history of success at Championship level. Gerrard was also hired on the back of success in lower league.

2. Lampard finished top4 and made a cup final with Chelsea in his first season whilst under transfer embargo. Ole only finished top4 first time after around 200m spent - and does not have history of operating on a modest budget at all.

3. Outside United Lampard is a much bigger name due to being a more successful/famous player.

4. Lampard on paper has only one failed stint that can theoretically be viewed as one-off, and one viewed as rather successful. Whereas Ole had some decent/good seasons in between - he regressed at Molde, totally failed at Cardiff and in the end failed at United.

Just look at Di Matteo career after Chelsea. The types of chances he got is the best that Ole could hope for (and if he does not take the next chance he is definitely done at top level) - and nobody outside of some United fans would argue that Ole's CV is better now than Di Matteo's was when he was sacked at Chelsea.
When comparing Lampard to Ole I would add another point: Both failed to build a great team after signing expensive transfers, but Lampard's squad was far more balance than the current United squad. Chelsea could go and sign every top manager available, as their squad looked quite well rounded and versatile. United on the other hand sound like they might need a lot of transfers to balance their squad to fit into a system.

So it seems to be easier for a big club to move on after Lampard than after Solskjaer

MattJ166

He paid €80+m for Maguire, €50+m for AWB, €40m for DVB, seemingly with absolutely no idea how to actually use him and you're like: he's a proven squad builder and would be a great DoF.
AWB, Maguire, DVB are good solid players who play very well for their national team and for the teams before us. (Except AWB who has actually been overall pretty solid for us considering he's had next to no defensive cover from the RW in his time here). Maguire is going through a shit patch but theres no doubt that he shored us up when he initially came in.

I think you're confusing identifying players with being able to coach them to fit his system (Or lack thereof in some cases). Ole clearly had a ethos and direction he wanted the club to pursue, he just couldn't tactically implement it. Our squad and transfer policy before he took over to now is apples and oranges,. Not to mention all the absolute dross he got rid off.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
If not England, could always go back to Norway for a while, RBK job will soon be available, and they are in a big mess.

Though, he might not want to downgrade that much just yet, also he used to coach their domestic rival, so its unlikely.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He should do a Southgate, take time out to reinvent himself, and return to manage Norway. I don't think he has the right qualities to manage in club football.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He should do a Southgate, take time out to reinvent himself, and return to manage Norway. I don't think he has the right qualities to manage in club football.
Norway? National team is cursed, he should steer clear.

passtheball

I think the same, and I guess it would be a role that would suit him better at a club like Utd. What I can't wrap my head around though, is people saying he won't get a managerial job at a decent level again. The guy finished 3rd and 2nd in the most competitive league in the world, which irrespective of the money spent is enough of an achievement to land him a job soon, should he wish for it. Moyes had disasters at Utd, Sociedad, and Sunderland, even West Ham the first time but he has revived his career, so no doubt in my mind Ole will do the same.
Under Moyes, penny-pinching Everton were a stable top 8 club for over a decade (with only two exceptions).
Moyes has never been relegated.
Moyes has not spent 400m in his whole career, never mind over three seasons.
Moyes doesn't talk crap about pashun and desire and he doesn't give tearful interviews after he is sacked.

Let's put it this way: no club that has any sanity will hire an excuse-merchant like Ole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.