What would be an acceptable offer for Pogba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

4 players out of the main 11 lineup you mean ? Surely you're not expecting the 25 players to be consistent ? Otherwise there won't be main or sub players.
No, I mean from the whole squad. The best players make up the XI, but the others has to be at least close to performing consistently as subs or in games where they start.
We have fecked up the rebuilding post SAF for various reasons and that's why we're still in it. Ignoring obvious glaring issues in the squad, signing marketable players that we don't know how to use them, and at the same time spending loads on average players under LVG. The overall result is what it's now. We look far from being the finishing article 6 years post SAF.
Like I said, Pogba, Sanchez and Zlatan are the only players we've signed that'd be considered marketable and we really needed a mid and a CF when we signed Pogba and Zlatan. We've never really spent money on average players, just players that we expected to be - in your own words, 'good and consistent', but they ended up being average for us. It is no coincidence that Pogba and Zlatan have been two of our best signings in over five years.

Again, if we sold Pogba for 150 and get players in number 10, RW and defense, making the whole main lineup more balanced, I'm not really sure how that will make us any worse. People said Liverpool will struggle after selling Coutinho but they look better now.
They never really relied that much on Coutinho compared to us and Pogba. He was just a cog in a well-oiled machine. The fact they sold him and didn't even replace him, but kept going proves so.
Do you think any of our current midfielders can do as good a job as Pogba? What if his replacement flops just like our other signings? We'd be a worse team for that.
Pogba is currently a problem. The team is basing its hopes on world class player who doesn't play 2 games in a row with same performance, and his level ranges from 8/10 to 4/10 in 2 straight weeks. He's also a tactical problem that can only play in certain formation and very certain role to cover his weaknesses, and this formation suits no one except him. He's a massive tactical headache and for the last 2 years discussions about how to get the best out of him never stopped. No one knows. We keep signing midfielders to provide the base for him and he's still as inconsistent as in his first season.
That's on the manager. Deschamps played him in a two and he still excelled.
We have signed just two midfielders since Pogba, with ?three moving on. So it's not like we're just signing them because of Pogba, we needed them. Pogba is not the reason almost all our players look out of depth in our non-system. Most of the top teams out there play a 433, and if it doesn't fit the players, which one will?
No one is disputing his quality but his inconsistency in a team that is built around him (and Sanchez) considering the other glaring issues around is simply not going to win anything. I'll take players of less quality but provide a consistent performance every week, play in their best position and cover the weak points in the team every time above having a world class player that just shows flashes of his brilliance from time to time.
He'll be good as a part of a machine. Someone you sign when you have world class team all around and needs to add more quality. He's like that for France and was like that for Juve. I'm pretty sure he'll do well for Barca but not expecting anything more from him with us anymore.
So do every other player tbh. Stick any player in this our team and it'd take a miracle for him to even maintain his level.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Ye don't think any club would take punts over 120M with that agent of his and his stinking attitude. United would do well to recoup what they paid for him to be honest.

el3mel

No, I mean from the whole squad. The best players make up the XI, but the others has to be at least close to performing consistently as subs or in games where they start.
I'm surely not expecting any kind of consistency from sub players. The main players who play week in week out should be always performing at a standard of 7/10 every week though.

N
Like I said, Pogba, Sanchez and Zlatan are the only players we've signed that'd be considered marketable and we really needed a mid and a CF when we signed Pogba and Zlatan. We've never really spent money on average players, just players that we expected to be - in your own words, 'good and consistent', but they ended up being average for us. It is no coincidence that Pogba and Zlatan have been two of our best signings in over five years.
Why are you persisting that Pogba has been a success so far ? He surely did nothing to justify his 89m price or making him the most expensive player in the world. If he performs in this season as the last 2 then pushed for a move to Barca, he'll be considered a big flop regarding expectations and price tag. At least Zlatan was free.

No spending money on the likes of Blind, Rojo, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Lindelof ..etc was simply a waste of money and didn't help us in the run. If we actually had a plan these past 6 years, the rebuild could have been done in 2 years max, but we were chopping and buying without a clue about what we need.

They never really relied that much on Coutinho compared to us and Pogba. He was just a cog in a well-oiled machine. The fact they sold him and didn't even replace him, but kept going proves so.
They relied on him and his long range shooting heavily. Think we had a previous discussion about that. He unlocked loads of games for them.

Do you think any of our current midfielders can do as good a job as Pogba? What if his replacement flops just like our other signings? We'd be a worse team for that.
He has higher quality than the rest of our midfield, that's assured and no one is denying that or that he's class on his day. The problem he never shows it week in week out and it's actually his own problem, no one else. In the past 2 years almost everyone was blamed for his inconsistency, his midfield pairs, manager, Zlatan, Lukaku, the wingers, almost everyone was blamed for him not performing consistently. It's his problem.

Surely if he performs consistently and reached the expectations put on him when he was signed, I'll keep him any time but if he's still as inconsistent as the previous 2 years coming the end of the season, I'll prefer to move on. 3 years of inconsistency are too much for me.

That's on the manager. Deschamps played him in a two and he still excelled.
We have signed just two midfielders since Pogba, with ?three moving on. So it's not like we're just signing them because of Pogba, we needed them. Pogba is not the reason almost all our players look out of depth in our non-system. Most of the top teams out there play a 433, and if it doesn't fit the players, which one will?
During the previous 2 years almost everyone didn't stop telling us the reason of him not performing to his best is that he's shite in 2 men midfield and needs 2 defensive midfielders with him and he should stick on the left midfield of 4-3-3 to get the best out of him. Any new signing for the midfield is supposed to get the best out of Pogba. That's has been the most used excuse for his inconsistency here.

I don't think 4-3-3 fits anyone bar Pogba. We don't have real wingers to build the play on and Lukaku is almost always left isolated without someone close to him, and his holding up and building of the play is inconsistent to drop deep like Zlatan.

But if we reverted to 4-2-3-1 again or any formation with 2 men midfield and he ended up playing poorly, the full blame will be thrown on his midfield pair again.

It's his problem.

So do every other player tbh. Stick any player in this our team and it'd take a miracle for him to even maintain his level.
We didn't buy him to be part of the machine because we were already shite at this time. We bought him to build the team around him. His inconsistency is preventing us from doing that so far.

So if he's not the kind of player that needs to be a clog in a machine rather than a player you build a team around, maybe part companies ? He goes to a machine like Barca where he'll be in shadow of Messi and I'm sure he'll do well while we get players that make us more balanced.

Anyway the view will be more clear coming the end of the season regarding his performance and effect on the team and if he's willing to leave himself or not.

You surely know that it's the best for me like the rest for him to stay, become a star and plays a consistent performance week in week out helping us winning trophies. I have defended him a lot last 2 years even during his weak patches I never said I wanted him to go but to just improve.

Problem is this is 3rd year. I'm starting to lose faith.

robinrooney

I won't miss him when he goes. Massively over hyped (in his own head). 1 good game in 15. Upstaged by £15m players regularly. Just go. Hopefully we get our money back

HailtotheKing

More than Coutinho, less than Neymar.
Yeah this.

Doesn't matter how he's playing right now. You're not just buying the player you're buying the brand. And Pogba is one of the biggest brands in football next to Neymar.

Added to that he's young, extremely gifted and he just won the World Cup. In the right team he's the missing piece.

I think it's hard to be consistent in a team without consistent tactics or a consistent team. And a defense that compromises everyone else.

There's a reason City paid 50 million a piece for their defense. Cos a central defense that is comfortable on the ball and full backs that can push forwards, allows the rest of the team to play further forwards.

So the midfield can support our forwards and become a fluid team.

If we did that Pogba would excel. Instead the whole team is suffering due to our defence.

A couple ball playing leaders at the back, Luke Shaw on the left, then let's see how Pogba gets on.

Don't think his value will drop much if we sell him later anyway. For someone playing so poorly he still has some impressive stats.

Zlatattack

Yup. 2 replacements who can actually try and then get rid of him.
I just think right now if we play 433 we rely on him for creativity. After him we have Fellaini Matic and Fred - pretty uninspiring if you ask me. If we play 4231 we don't have a top class 10. Mata is good but not as good as he was. Lingard is above average at best.

If we sell him I'd like to have bought someone like Fekir and Neves first. Dybala would be the dream but I don't see that happening.

Personally I'd love for him to stay and fulfill his potential with us, for me that's the perfect scenario.

Okey

I'd be really surprised to see a top team shelling out big bucks for Pogba. Unless he gives them a behind the scenes version of him that he doesn't show at United! I've always thought he was overhyped to be honest. Right from the beginning. For a central midfielder, he's hardly able to take a game by the scruff of the neck and dictate proceedings like a boss. Too few times for such a reputation. Not even in the world Cup winning team. His reputation seems to come more from off the field antics than on the pitch. No doubt he has the potential. Perhaps he should knuckle down and prove himself. Then teams will come for him rather than him or his agent offering himself to them. We'll miss him if he left now cos we have a poor squad. Replace him with proper world class and you'll forget him in a couple of weeks. Or maybe I'm just a poor sod who grew up on Keane and Scholes...

Unitedssss

To be honest I don't think that he will sell for 200 mill, he hasn't been outstanding like Mbappe or Neymar. He's having problems with Mourinho and causing a feeling of unrest within the squad.

A fantastic offer that I would take would be Dybala for Pogba, if not he will be sold somewhere around the 100 million pound mark. I hope that I'm wrong and we do sell him for around 200, however this is what I reckon.

tjb

I would replace him with an attacking midfielder and winger, sell Martial as well and use that to get one good centre back. Switch to the preffered 4231 with Fred and Matic anchoring, and the attacking midfielder in the middle, Sanchez left, new winger right. In Lukaku and Sanchez( hopefully he shows his worth) we have two potentially consistent dynamic attackers who can score goals, what we need are players that can get the ball to these two on a consistent basis...we have enough in Fred Matic Perreira Herera and Fellaini to cover the double pivot in midfield, and we have good depth in Lingard alone to cover in addition to mata to cover the front three spots, what we need are energetic creative players.

skeelz

Pogba + £25M >> Barca
Messi >> Man. United

Yeah... Yeah

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Hot take incoming...

But based on current squads and managers, I would think Chelsea and Man Utd teams would both benefit greatly by swapping Pogba for Kante.

Kante provides a crazy amount of comfort to attackers to push on and will greatly liberate Man Utd attack more so than the likes of Matic. He is also prompt with his passing.

Pogba is more of the CM that Sarri needs at CM than Kante's amazing skillset can provide.

Not that I am advocating the trade as Kante is one of my personal favs..Just a thought!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I wouldn’t sell him until we get a new manager in and see if we can get the best out of him but if worst case scenario he wants out regardless then his monetary value on the current transfer market is £150-170m due to post World Cup, potential as a player in the right system and his marketability in terms of brand.

If we were to sell to Barca.. you’re looking Dembele plus £100m. Rakitic at 30 is a slight risk and thus I wouldn’t value him at 80-100m, so if we were to get him and Dembele, I’d want 50m on top of that. If we hadn’t got Dalot, Semedo would have been a player I’d have also been keen on.

Juventus, Sandro and 100-130m would suffice. Not sure I’d want Dybala, seems a difficult player to plan around tactically and Pjanic is a good player but question marks over whether he’d now want to ply his trade in the EPL.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Hypothetically...money means not much. In a trade for probably 2 players would be much more worth while (obviousy depending on who they were)..

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I wouldn’t sell him until we get a new manager in and see if we can get the best out of him but if worst case scenario he wants out regardless then his monetary value on the current transfer market is £150-170m due to post World Cup, potential as a player in the right system and his marketability in terms of brand.

If we were to sell to Barca.. you’re looking Dembele plus £100m. Rakitic at 30 is a slight risk and thus I wouldn’t value him at 80-100m, so if we were to get him and Dembele, I’d want 50m on top of that. If we hadn’t got Dalot, Semedo would have been a player I’d have also been keen on.

Juventus, Sandro and 100-130m would suffice. Not sure I’d want Dybala, seems a difficult player to plan around tactically and Pjanic is a good player but question marks over whether he’d now want to ply his trade in the EPL.
You're assuming they would want to move here.

Player transfer isn't always about who we want, normally their agents would sound an interest and if it's reciprocal then the clubs would make a formal bid. If there's no formal bid on the table doesn't always mean we're not interested in the players, but it could be the players don't want to come here, or the selling club don't want to sell.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You're assuming they would want to move here.

Player transfer isn't always about who we want, normally their agents would sound an interest and if it's reciprocal then the clubs would make a formal bid. If there's no formal bid on the table doesn't always mean we're not interested in the players, but it could be the players don't want to come here, or the selling club don't want to sell.
Of course - agree with all that. Post was based on hypothetically there being a chance they would want to come here.

Needham

If the boss stays then it never really works out for Pogba here. Anything north of money back would be acceptable.

Mcking

He has a certain je ne sais quoi at the back and a real joie de vivre up front.
I looked at that and I thanked google translate until I then realised that real joie de vivre are Giroud, Griezmann and Matuidi.

HabeasC

Have I missed something he’s done in the past couple of days?

I thought the Pogba hate had died down for a bit.

simplyared

Imo too much instability at the club at present to be even thinking about selling our best player. Tough game at Watford tomorrow. Could be a nightmare opponent for us right now, so let's see the outcome of that first.

Mcking

I'm surely not expecting any kind of consistency from sub players. The main players who play week in week out should be always performing at a standard of 7/10 every
Of course you can especially in a team that uses a lot of players like us. They are on the bench because they were just as inconsistent whilst being inferior than the starting players. Just look at those players that doesn't really start much. They've never really strung up three to four consistent performances, otherwise, they'd be in the team. You can at least trust the 'non-main' players to get the job done.

Why are you persisting that Pogba has been a success so far ? He surely did nothing to justify his 89m price or making him the most expensive player in the world. If he performs in this season as the last 2 then pushed for a move to Barca, he'll be considered a big flop regarding expectations and price tag. At least Zlatan was free.
He's being a success of course. Not 89m success, but relative to our other signings post Fergie, he's being a roaring success. He'd only be considered a flop if we stupid sell him this year or the next i.e early. If he maintains this level of performances for years, then he'd be considered nothing but a success. A bargain.
No spending money on the likes of Blind, Rojo, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Lindelof ..etc was simply a waste of money and didn't help us in the run. If we actually had a plan these past 6 years, the rebuild could have been done in 2 years max, but we were chopping and buying without a clue about what we need.
You say that in hindsight. I doubt you said those things when we signed them. They were players we actually needed, signed for prices you'd consider the standard for good players back then. We expected them to be good and consistent, but they ended up average.
They relied on him and his long range shooting heavily. Think we had a previous discussion about that. He unlocked loads of games for them.
Oh yes! I agree but I think that was pre-Salah when they usually struggled to break down tough teams. Last season, they were so much better at that iirc with Salah, Firmino firing and Mane working really hard to find form whilst providing support. Coutinho was just part of the fab four. The one that wouldn't stop being linked to Barcelona

He has higher quality than the rest of our midfield, that's assured and no one is denying that or that he's class on his day. The problem he never shows it week in week out and it's actually his own problem, no one else. In the past 2 years almost everyone was blamed for his inconsistency, his midfield pairs, manager, Zlatan, Lukaku, the wingers, almost everyone was blamed for him not performing consistently. It's his problem.
It's the result of playing in a poorly drilled/inconsistent team. In a team where workhorses are reliable to outperform the talented footballers. Can you think of any game Pogba has played badly despite the team playing really well?
Surely if he performs consistently and reached the expectations put on him when he was signed, I'll keep him any time but if he's still as inconsistent as the previous 2 years coming the end of the season, I'll prefer to move on. 3 years of inconsistency are too much for me.
Almost all our other players have been inconsistent with their performances. Why not start with the inconsistent inferior ones, rather
than the superior one. Or perhaps that's because he's the easier target?

During the previous 2 years almost everyone didn't stop telling us the reason of him not performing to his best is that he's shite in 2 men midfield and needs 2 defensive midfielders with him and he should stick on the left midfield of 4-3-3 to get the best out of him. Any new signing for the midfield is supposed to get the best out of Pogba. That's has been the most used excuse for his inconsistency here.
That people say so doesn't really make it true. He played in a midfield two at the World cup and delivered a phenomenal tournament performance.
The truth is the manager has ultimately being unable to get the best out of him, just like the other players.
I don't think 4-3-3 fits anyone bar Pogba. We don't have real wingers to build the play on and Lukaku is almost always left isolated without someone close to him, and his holding up and building of the play is inconsistent to drop deep like Zlatan.

But if we reverted to 4-2-3-1 again or any formation with 2 men midfield and he ended up playing poorly, the full blame will be thrown on his midfield pair again.

It's his problem.
It's the team and the manager's problem. Play a 4231 and everyone will be pointing out how Lukaku looks isolated, how Sanchez is finished on the wing, how our RW is not functioning, how our defence looks exposed. I remember him performing consistently with just Herrera.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Don’t sell your better players

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No offer is acceptable. Pogba is one of United's genuine world-class players.

el3mel

Of course you can especially in a team that uses a lot of players like us.
Bring me one team in which the 25 players are all consistently playing well. It's usually 13-15 max who are the main players.

He's being a success of course. Not 89m success, but relative to our other signings post Fergie, he's being a roaring success. He'd only be considered a flop if we stupid sell him this year or the next i.e early. If he maintains this level of performances for years, then he'd be considered nothing but a success. A bargain.
You must have a very low expectations if you're considering him a roaring success for just flashes of brilliance he did here.

I can count his best moments here on 2 hands only or maybe even 1 and in 2 seasons along from the former most expensive player in the world, he's closer to being a flop rather than a success.

Whe he starts performing week in week out like a 90m player and lead us to big trophies he can be considered a success.

And you can't exclude the price tag. He's not a 30-40m midfielder that you can be happy with flashes of brilliance.

You say that in hindsight. I doubt you said those things when we signed them. They were players we actually needed, signed for prices you'd consider the standard for good players back then. We expected them to be good and consistent, but they ended up average.
That's the job of scouts. If you had done too many failing signings under different managers for 6 years with the good ones can be counted on fingers while spending load, then our scouts are rubbish.

Oh yes! I agree but I think that was pre-Salah when they usually struggled to break down tough teams. Last season, they were so much better at that iirc with Salah, Firmino firing and Mane working really hard to find form whilst providing support. Coutinho was just part of the fab four. The one that wouldn't stop being linked to Barcelona
They were still depending on him a lot in this half season and when he left most were predicting them to struggle inopening defense without his creativity in creating for the runners up front.

It's the result of playing in a poorly drilled/inconsistent team. In a team where workhorses are reliable to outperform the talented footballers. Can you think of any game Pogba has played badly despite the team playing really well?
Almost all our other players have been inconsistent with their performances. Why not start with the inconsistent inferior ones, rather
than the superior one. Or perhaps that's because he's the easier target?
Never said we shouldn't clean the deadwood and sell Pogba only. We are only talking about Pogba case here not the the future of the rest.

If you're paying a 89m player, surely you don't expect a player playing well when everything around him is great and falls when everyone else is falling. What makes him a superstar then ? Again he's not a 30-40m midfielder.

If we're paying that much for someone, I'm expecting him to drag the team forward when we're having a day off. That's what all superstars of all teams do. Whatever they succeed or fail is another thing, but to not be rubbish when everyone is rubbish and good when everyone is good.

Again, you really seem to have low expectations for him.

That people say so doesn't really make it true. He played in a midfield two at the World cup and delivered a phenomenal tournament performance.
Then you're considerinf it a failed excuse for his performancd in first seaaon ?

The truth is the manager has ultimately being unable to get the best out of him, just like the other players.
Not sure about that if he was playing in France in exactly sam position and role Mouinho wanted him to play here and he was underperforming the he goes on in the same roles and decides to be very desciblined.

If he was deployed in a different role in WC, I would have agreed but it's exactly the role Mourinho was slaughtered for deploying him in and told to "free" Pogba to get best out of him, while France used him in restricted role.

If anything, it actually reflects poorly on Pogba, being willing to do that for national team but not club tbh.

It's the team and the manager's problem. Play a 4231 and everyone will be pointing out how Lukaku looks isolated, how Sanchez is finished on the wing, how our RW is not functioning, how our defence looks exposed. I remember him performing consistently with just Herrera.
Actually I think the only times we played good football under Mourinho in both seasons came with 4-2-3-1. The only problem we always encountered with this was Pogba and people complaining about him underperforming in 2 men midfield. If we had got a RW instead of Mata, I would have liked us to keep it. 4-3-3 really doesn't suit anyone in the team bar Paul.

Messigician

They can have him for free if they take Lingard as well.
Lingard doesn't suit our system. And I'm not sure Pogba does either tbh, Barcelona is all about short fast passing and quick transitions. Pogba is all about dwelling on the ball and showing off his skills.

I suppose Barcelona are banking on being able to coach the negatives out of Pogba which is possible. But I do not think they'll spend 120m on a player they're not certain will be able to adapt.

Maybe the Initial offer of Mina etc is as far as we are prepared to go for Pogba.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We look like utter shit the two or three occasions when hes been out with injury/suspensions since he has been here.

Murray3007

be lucky to get back what we payed for him, performed well in a few patches but lets be honest he aint cut out to perform every week in the premiership. also not sure where people think we should be demanding Coutinho money for him. he performed much better in the premiership then pogba ever did. if he did go to Barca I have no doubt he would look superb and would look a bad move from us, but we aint getting nothing out of him so let him go.

friedeggden

Supports
Liverpool
A lot of speculative figures being thrown around here but Pogba will go for what people are willing to pay...and what united are willing to sell for. Coutinho went for so much because Liverpool were in no rush to sell him and Barca really wanted him. Dembele the same. If Pogba isn't playing up to standard and he really wants out I could see him going for less than 100m.

I'm not just saying this as a Liverpool fan but I really do think Pogba is over-rated. I don't think he's done anything to put him in the world class bracket. People keep coming back to the "winning the world cup" point but he was in no way Frances best player.

All this talk of getting the best out of him, using two holding midfielders to get the best out of him, letting him play with freedom etc etc is a load of rubbish

Bola

£150m seems a fair number in this crazy world of football transfers. Although I'd be tempted to add a 'Barcelona' tax of another £30M given how much they overpaid for Dembelee and Coutinio, not to mention the derisory offer they made back in the Summer.

Not sure how much that £150M would get us in the open market though, so I think I'd prefer a players plus cash deal. While Juve and Barca have players that would certainly improve our squad in a normal situation, only PSG have the players that I'd want in a deal of this magnitude:

Real - Straight swap for Varne and Kroos. Or Bale plus £80M

PSG - Menuier, Draxler plus £50M. Or a straight swap for Mbappe (maybe we throw in a Rojo too)

Fantasy stuff really

Pastore27

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG -> Rabiot + Draxler could be interesting for both sides I think

Status
Not open for further replies.