What would convince you that Ole should be made permanent manager?

AndyJ1985

Top 4 while playing great football and battering a few teams along the way. It's unrealistic and won't happen, but that's the only way I'd be happy to see him stay on

Crashoutcassius

I think if we can get Poch the criteria to keep Ole goes way way up. If we can't get one of our top choices and he does very well (say title winning form for the rest of the season, regardless of where that leaves us position wise) then he should be given a chance. Especially if the new DOF is happy with the direction and transfer targets

Djemba-Djemba

Its obvious to me that Poch has achieved 2 things: building a squad on a low budget and getting top 4. So for me, if Ole can build a squad (by bringing through youngsters) and get top 4, he would equal Poch's achievements. I would NOT need him to win a European Cup because that just sets the bar unrealistically high considering we're ground zero at the minute.
I think you're grossly underestimating how good Pochettino is.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Let's see how he does, we'll know by the end of season. Open mind. But I would like him to be able to have the job on a full time basis.

Pochettino may be better, but who knows. What I do find strange is the obsession with Pochettino who has won precisely nothing as a manager.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This could be Roberto di Matteo all over again. Wins the CL by fluke and then sacked the next season.

Djemba-Djemba

Let's see how he does, we'll know by the end of season. Open mind. But I would like him to be able to have the job on a full time basis.

Pochettino may be better, but who knows. What I do find strange is the obsession with Pochettino who has won precisely nothing as a manager.
The no trophies thing is a concern of course.

But it's worth remembering the last two managers we hired won countless trophies and had incredible CV's and both were failures.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If he makes top 4 and has us playing exciting football. That’s at least worth seeing through and seeing what he can do if backed in the market.

jeff_goldblum

If he pulls us back to challenging the top 4, playing decent football with convincing performances against the top 6 and in the UCL his name should be in the running.

Paul the Wolf

The no trophies thing is a concern of course.

But it's worth remembering the last two managers we hired won countless trophies and had incredible CV's and both were failures.
Yes agreed, but their type of football seems dead in the past - anyway keeping an open mind and let's try to enjoy the rest of the season and see where we are. You never know Ole could finish ahead of Poch.

VanGaalyTime

If he's able to make the top four this year, while introducing youth players such as Chong, Greenwood, Garner, Laird etc to the first team slowly then I'd certainly consider him for the FT position. If we beat PSG in the Champions League it would be a miracle, and so I'd also say getting to the semis of the CL would put him in serious content, again with the caveat that it has to be through playing quality, expansive football that involves a few youth players. Suffice it to say, it will be a very difficult job.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think Poch should be considered. But, I think that if Ole can overcome the odds now, and build a group of youngsters for the future, it would be enough for him to be in the conversation. If you disregard every manager because of an outlier like Di Matteo, then its no surprise we ended up with managers like LVG and Mourinho in the first place.
I'm not disregarding him, I'm saying 5 months isn't a long enough time to assess Ole. If he does well he should be kept as part of the setup. However long term Poch should be the immediate target.

We need an rvn

You can't compare what Poch has been doing for years with 5 months of work. Chelsea made that mistake with Di Matteo.

Saying that I hope Ole can stay on at United in some capacity if he does well.
Ole won't stay on at United if he doesn't get offered the position on a permanent basis.

The guy has ambition to manage and is current manager at Molde. Butt has the reserves and Carrick / McKenna are assistants.

There would be nothing here that would tempt him in my eyes.

Emrethis

I think you're grossly underestimating how good Pochettino is.
I think he's done a fantastic job of building a squad and making top 4 given his circumstances. But his failure to seriously challenge for any major title (other than that freak leicester season), means that he's not in the highest category of managers.

Cassidy

Ole won't stay on at United if he doesn't get offered the position on a permanent basis.

The guy has ambition to manage and is current manager at Molde. Butt has the reserves and Carrick / McKenna are assistants.

There would be nothing here that would tempt him in my eyes.
Being groomed to be the next permanent boss is tempting.

Emrethis

I'm not disregarding him, I'm saying 5 months isn't a long enough time to assess Ole. If he does well he should be kept as part of the setup. However long term Poch should be the immediate target.
Fair enough. I don't think that Ole's necessarily going to be the next fergie. I just hope that people can keep an open mind about it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
My thoughts exactly.
When SAF arrived, he'd won a EU trophy with Aberdeen - fantastic achievement.
Moyes joined us. Like Poch, had not won anything and continued that trend with MUFC. And this is my worry with Poch - another manager who is expected to do something at MUFC, which he has never done in his life - ie. win trophies.

Westerkerk

We shouldn't let his tenure as interim manager, however successful, detract us from making the right decisions going forward.

The interim appointment is not being done on a whim or on the basis of 'let's see what happens' - we are putting a plan in place to enable the next permanent manager to be successful and Ole is coming back to help us carry out that plan. He's part of the solution. He isn't the solution. He will likely know that, and embrace that. His job is to steer the team from match to match until the end of the season.

Maybe privately, he holds hope of being kept on after the interim period is over, but if he is ambitious, proud and excited to be part of this, then that's understandable.

This works for Ole. Who know's what he'll go on to do either elsewhere or at United if he help us restore a bit of pride and courage this season. We don't need top 4 or Champions League for his appointment to be successful.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This could be Roberto di Matteo all over again. Wins the CL by fluke and then sacked the next season.
Woah there....Solkjaer has not won anything yet...let alone the CL.
Let's wait and see what transpires and then assess in a few months.

Djemba-Djemba

My thoughts exactly.
When SAF arrived, he'd won a EU trophy with Aberdeen - fantastic achievement.
Moyes joined us. Like Poch, had not won anything and continued that trend with MUFC. And this is my worry with Poch - another manager who is expected to do something at MUFC, which he has never done in his life - ie. win trophies.
But as has been said, Van Gaal and Mourinho turned up with loads of trophies and both were ultimately terrible.

I want us to win trophies, the biggest trophies. But honestly, more importantly than that I want to see us play nice football. It's been 6 years of utter shit.

Cassidy

Hiring based on winning alone has got us where? Its not the only criteria for hiring a manager and thats how we ended up with Jose. Poch ticks all the boxes as someone who can take the club forward. With the one question mark being can he take us over the line to a title.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Woah there....Solkjaer has not won anything yet...let alone the CL.
Let's wait and see what transpires and then assess in a few months.
Exactly what happened with di Matteo and that was my point. Could fluke our way to two mega trophies.

koop

I love the optimism everywhere about ole, I wish he's as promising as it sounds but imagine the cafe if he doesn't win a single game :houllier::lol:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Why would Ole have to win the European Cup to get the job, when Poch hasn't ever come close?
It's the possible trade-off. Poch has years and consistency (of good work in general) on his side, an advantage that Solskjaer will never overcome in 5 months. Hence, for some people, a singular greater achievement would help cover that difference.

I personally think it doesn't make much sense. If I was a United fan I'd much rather see general improvements in gameplay, player mood, and consistency in league results, to help determine if making him permanent would be a wise option.

Obviously winning the CL would be an incomensurably greater pleasure as a fan, but in terms of evaluating a prospective long-term manager for an ambitious project, it's too random. There's a reason why despite winning 3 CL in a row many people still aren't sure if Zidane is a good option.

Zoo

Take us into the top 4 playing attacking football with the players reaching their potential. Then if the squad is largely on board with him it should be considered.

Paul the Wolf

Hiring based on winning alone has got us where? Its not the only criteria for hiring a manager and thats how we ended up with Jose. Poch ticks all the boxes as someone who can take the club forward. With the one question mark being can he take us over the line to a title.
Agreed winning previously doesn't guarantee anything but hiring Jose hoping that we would play attacking football was obviously never going to happen and I said so beforehand.

I want to see how Ole copes with being in charge of United and how the players react to him before making my mind up. At least Ole knows United inside out, no guarantees Poch could handle it. Let's see later on in the season.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I think there is too many variables and a sliding scale. The bar needs to be high due to longer term risk, but anyone saying there is no circumstance he should stay are talking nonsense.

If Solskjaer has us winning the majority of games for the rest of the year by 2+ goals, including beating some of our big rivals than you would have to seriously give him a shot.

GazTheLegend

If he gets top 4 or wins the champions league.

From the position we are in right now it looks completely impossible... but if he somehow managed that, he’d absolutely deserve a bit more time.

My expectation is that we will finish 6th and get knocked out by PSG, so anything worse than that means he probably would lose his role. But conversely the talent is there to do a LOT better than we have done so far, so who knows.

Solskjærs Molde and even his Cardiff teams have always had an attacking focus and he’s developed youth at Molde well so he really does tick all the boxes and I believe he has the ability to do well at United.

Judas

Open to offers
Finishing 2nd or 3rd. Sensational football. Going very deep in the CL.

Setting the bar high because I don’t think long term it’ll work out, but if he could do all that, yeah why not.

saivet

Di Matteo got the Chelsea job full time after he won the CL and we know how that played out.

Personally wouldn't give Ole the job unless we win the CL in a convinving manner plus we make top 4 playing great football.

Not impossible but virtually no chance he should get it in my opinion.

Andersons Dietician

Just wondering if there are any scenarios that would convince us fans that Ole should be given a long term contract in the summer?

If he makes top four?
Top three?
Wins the CL?
FA Cup?

Or should it be thank you but goodbye, no matter what happens?
Will have to see what he does. Winning something or getting in to top 4 would help his case but I’m more interested in seeing what he does with the team and how they respond. If they start to look like they know what they are doing and are playing in a manner that suggests we are getting close to the potential of the squad and that they might even improve under his stewardship then why not. Sometimes it’s a lot more than just the trophies you win which ala Jose’s first season was trash apart from 2 trophies.

NinjaFletch

If he does well it should land him a bigger job elsewhere, and if he does well there I'd be more onboard with a long term appointment in the future.

Even if he wins the Champions League I don't think it's the right move to give him it now.

~70% win percentage from January onwards. That's whats usually required to challenge for the title, if he can get that out of this group of players then hes the right man for us.

ZupZup

Top 4 would be enough. To finish in the top 4, we would basically have to show title winning form till the end of the season.

To come in and do that with these players in this scenario? It’s way beyond would we could expect and he would deserve a chance at the job full-time. At that point, replacing him is likely a far bigger gamble, than not.

acrebo

Regardless of how Ole performs, he needs to leave at the end of the interim period.

We really need the ink to be dry on the new manager's contract as soon as possible and certainly before April / May, which is only when Ole's performance can be appraised. Leaving the appointment of a new manager until then, just to see how Ole does, is just asking for even more trouble next season.

Having sacked Jose 'early', the club has a real opportunity to get things properly lined up for next season. Appreciate a new manager coming in from another club is always going to have issues in terms of their focus, but there's an opportunity to let them review the squad from afar and use the summer transfer window to much greater effect.

Another summer of a manager saying "I need to assess each player before making any decisions" will push me to the brink.

grahamo

If the players are willing to run through brick walls for him like they were for SAF and the football improves then he should get the job