What would convince you that Ole should be made permanent manager?

RedB4ndiT

Any manager should be better than Mourinho at this point. As long as he doesn't park the bus and play like we're a 3rd division team playing a top division team, I'm already 100% behind him.

Josep Dowling

I think the very reason we have appointed him is that he'll be under no delusions that he's getting the job permanently, he's shown zero as a coach to suggest he's good enough to manage in the PL at all, let alone at United. Appointing him as he's an old legend and can just lift the spirits is his only real task, top 4 is gone unless one of Spurs or Chelsea completely colapse. Ole knows his role IMO and like the great super sub he was, he'll play it with no fuss and then go back to Molde at the end of the season when we appoint a top manager.
/thread

NoLogo

I don't know, if he can make us play great attacking football and one of the hardest to beat teams in the league again I think I would be convinced he deserves more time but I somewhat feel the team has still too many mediocre players to make this a viable goal.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
On the flip side, what happens if we lose 10 in a row under Ole?

Everyone seems so set that the ‘season is written off’ and it doesn’t matter what happens to us from here on, so can the interim manager be sacked in February or what?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Top 4, the FA Cup, a deep run in the CL and entertaining, attacking football. It's a lot to ask but it's going to take a lot to convince me that he deserves the full time job.
Yeah, this is pretty much what he has to deliver to be in contention for the job on a permanent basis. Big ask, but stranger things have happened!

tomaldinho1

People on here think we can get top 4 still?? If Ole can get us there it'd be a miracle - we're 11pts off Chelsea.

If we can that's great but I think the biggest factor for me will be a settled XI and any number of our players performing below expectations, hitting form. Should Lukaku, pogba, Sanchez, Rashford, Martial all hit form, top 4 is possible but I don't think we'll see them all ramp it up.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
People on here think we can get top 4 still?? If Ole can get us there it'd be a miracle - we're 11pts off Chelsea.

If we can that's great but I think the biggest factor for me will be a settled XI and any number of our players performing below expectations, hitting form. Should Lukaku, pogba, Sanchez, Rashford, Martial all hit form, top 4 is possible but I don't think we'll see them all ramp it up.
It's not realistic at all, but, being realistic and all, that's probably what it would take for someone with Sunny's credentials to be considered for the job on a permanent basis.

The Purley King

Everyone seems so set that the ‘season is written off’ and it doesn’t matter what happens to us from here on, so can the interim manager be sacked in February or what?
Here are our next few fixtures:
Sat 22 Dec Cardiff v Man Utd Premier League
Wed 26 Dec Man Utd v Huddersfield Premier League
Sun 30 Dec Man Utd v Bournemouth Premier League
Wed 2 Jan Newcastle v Man Utd Premier League
Sat 5 Jan Man Utd v Reading FA Cup third round
Sun 13 Jan Tottenham v Man Utd Premier League

If we can win the first 4 league games with some positive football, get past Reading in the FA Cup and even if we then lost to Spurs but still make a decent fist of it then that would be a great start.
Can't imagine us getting to February with only one or two wins, I think we'll see a huge new manager bounce.

The only way I'd want Ole to stay is if we somehow got top4 and made the final of CL or won it. His job is to perk everyone up, blow away the lingering stench of Mourinho and bring some joy back to things. If he does that, we'll start winning again no doubt.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Just wondering if there are any scenarios that would convince us fans that Ole should be given a long term contract in the summer?

If he makes top four?
Top three?
Wins the CL?
FA Cup?

Or should it be thank you but goodbye, no matter what happens?
Definitely if he does the bolded text above. It would affect his ego terribly and make his accent even weirder. Down with that sort of thing (You know, I wouldn't fecking put it past us. Football, bloody hell and all that).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A huge improvement in performances on the pitch with the style of play, uniting the squad and being able to show a togetherness and cohesiveness on the pitch, continual improvements as the players get more used to his style of play and amanagements (rather than declining the longer hes here), and that would obviously lead to better results.

I dont want to specifically say a certain end result like top 4 or winning a trophy because of how unlikely it is after the awful half season weve had. But of course there should be scenarios where we actually consider him. If he does a good job and shows his coaching is actually having a positive impact on a higher level than simply the new manager boost, then he should be in the discussion. Pochettino will be top choice, but if we don't get him and Ole does a good job, then why not keep him on board for another year to continue to prove himself?

SteveW

He'd have to do something phenomenal to be worth potentially missing out on Poch over. Pochettino is proven over several years to be an outstanding PL manager. He ticks every box.

Eric's Seagull

If he were to win the Champions League, get a top 4 finish, implement good attacking football. promote the youngsters, get the the right team to work with him and build up a good rapport with players, fans and staff I think he might have a good chance to get it, but for all this to happen is a massive ask. Although I'd still still go with Jardim.

tomaldinho1

It's not realistic at all, but, being realistic and all, that's probably what it would take for someone with Sunny's credentials to be considered for the job on a permanent basis.
True, I guess the bar will be unrealistically high.

With my non rose tinted glasses, I think 5th, a respectable FA cup run (QF minimum), knocked out by PSG in CL will be our season. As poor as that is, if by the end of the season we have happy players, players in form and scoring lots of goals - he should be in with a shout if the top names on our list aren't available.

RedRover

Surely the whole point of appointing an interim is because it gives you time to decide who exactly you want and here, seemingly to get the right DOF into place above that person in the new structure? I would hope that by the time the season has ended the club have either appointed the DOF or are close to it and are well on in appointing a manager. Talks will be on-going behind the scenes. Business needs to be done in the summer. The suggestion that the board will wait and see is bizarre.

Also, whether a United legend or not, there is nothing to suggest that he even remotely at the level to lead a club of United's size.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Top 4, a buzz around the club, exciting football and a good run in the Champions League might be enough to convince the fans but the club should be committed to the next manager before that kind of thing unfolds. Plus wouldn't there be verbal (maybe even contractual) agreements with the next guy to consider?

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Our interim did win the CL, get hired long term and then be promptly sacked. Make of that what you will but CL or top 4 finishes shouldnt be the criteria I think, overall progress from quality of football on the pitch should be the criteria.

Its Man Utd for God Sakes. I think the bar should be very high.

Devil may care

He wont be sacked unless he fails to play some decent football and lift the mood, I don't think anyone is expecting him to win loads of games or get top 4 as it'll take a month or so just to get a settled 11 as we've been chopping and changing all season, so we need to give him time to even get the team into any kind of rythym.

EwanI Ted

Winning something shouldnt neccesarily be enough to get the job, even if its the CL. Di Matteo got the job as a manager after winning the CL as a caretaker, and he barely lasted three months the following season. Whatever happens this season, the most that Ole should be able to earn is a fighting chance at interview, same as every other manager around.

Green_Red

SF CL and top 4 in the league. +25 GD in the league. 3 losses or less between now and the end of the season in the PL. If he does that and we can't get Poch then he should get next season too, rolling 1 year deal.

Revan

Assumptionman
This. I love the guy, but if Poch or someone that we realistically think will be able to take us to the level we want to be at becomes available, then Solksjaer will only be a caretaker for us.
Unless Solksjaer shows that he can take us forward.

Emrethis

It's the possible trade-off. Poch has years and consistency (of good work in general) on his side, an advantage that Solskjaer will never overcome in 5 months. Hence, for some people, a singular greater achievement would help cover that difference.

I personally think it doesn't make much sense. If I was a United fan I'd much rather see general improvements in gameplay, player mood, and consistency in league results, to help determine if making him permanent would be a wise option.

Obviously winning the CL would be an incomensurably greater pleasure as a fan, but in terms of evaluating a prospective long-term manager for an ambitious project, it's too random. There's a reason why despite winning 3 CL in a row many people still aren't sure if Zidane is a good option.
I just think winning a European trophy is too high a bar, considering Poch hasn't even come close to winning it. Top 4 while playing attacking football with new youngsters would do for me.

simplyared

Don't think it's as easy as that, judging him by trophies won, finals reached or position in the league etc. Obviously been affected by the non-entertaining rubbish football that's been dished up every week. So he's got to change that. If he can start by putting a smile on our faces then that would be a good start. It's obvious we have players (Pogba and Sanchez for example) who are not performing to full potential. If he gets the them performing then we certainly have the tools to play attractive attacking football. Generally demands are high on here. C'mon if he gets us past the next round against PSG that would be an achievment in itself. If we make top 4 and we're playing entertaining football then I'd be happy to keep him on. The fact he's learnt his trade from the greatest of all managers, instills a certain amount of belief in me anyway. Just hope he's got the authority to put his stamp on it and get the players and staff behind him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Unless Solksjaer shows that he can take us forward.
Of course. Winning the FA Cup/having a good run in the CL (or other way around) will reflect this I think.

He'd have to impress a huge amount if he was to show he was the one without winning anything.

Amir

Dalglish won the league cup, got a permanent contract at Liverpool, and it didn't work out. Di Matteo won the European cup, same result.

So I'm not sure there's anything that will make me think he should get the job permanently. Well, there is one thing - if we get a DOF and he chooses Ole.

Member 90887

I keep reading 'Pochettino is perfect for united'.

Let's not overate him too much. he's a great coach. but perfect ....

He's good with youngsters, altough, a case can be made that he didn't really have a choice with spurs not spending at all.

He plays good football yes, as do a lot of other managers.

While i would love to have Pochettino, a TOP 4 finish from Ole would definitly be worthy of a shot at the permanent position, especially when you factor in the 45/50M£ required to get Pochettino from spurs.

And remember people, with ole, we have a chance to be settled in the manager position for a long time whereas with pochettino, you can't expect him to stay that long.

I would certainly be willing to try Ole IF, and that's a big if, he shows promise, get us in the top 4 and has a good run in the cl (winning against PSG and advancing to the quarters).

Von Mistelroum

Very little if I'm honest. Love the guy but he needs to prove himself far more before getting the United job after a less than stellar career in management.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There's 21 games left to play in PL. Let's say at least 51 points out of 63, with good football, and being at least competitive against PSG in CL should make for a compelling case

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The best thing about the appointment is we are giving ourselves the space to plan and put things right instead of hiring a new manager and sending him up shit creek into the transfer window straight away. I think the entire point of Ole is appointing someone who will not be permanent and has zero expectations to be permanent (as opposed to a Blanc, for example).

Best outcome as far as I am concerned is he does exceedingly well and becomes part of the setup going forward, but leave out all the uncertainty/ambiguity over whether the guy may stay or not.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
The best thing about the appointment is we are giving ourselves the space to plan and put things right instead of hiring a new manager and sending him up shit creek into the transfer window straight away. I think the entire point of Ole is appointing someone who will not be permanent and has zero expectations to be permanent (as opposed to a Blanc, for example).

Best outcome as far as I am concerned is he does exceedingly well and becomes part of the setup going forward, but leave out all the uncertainty/ambiguity over whether the guy may stay or not.
Pretty much this. I'd like him to come in, do well and leave with his legend intact and our hearts full of love for our talisman. If he stays on, then we know how it's going to end. I don't want that.