What would convince you that Ole should be made permanent manager?

Eric's Seagull

He’ll have to win the champions league and the Europa league this season for me to even consider wanting him full time
Not trying to be pedantic or a smart ar$e as I may have not understood your post properly but how can he win Champions League and Europa League in the same season mate?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If he gets us to Champions League final while playing good, attacking football and gets it into or within 3 points off top 4 then he should be considered.

el3mel

Nothing. Good as interim but that's about it. Will be mental if we scrapped Zidane or Poch whatever reservations we may have for Ole.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
To be honest he won’t impress that much this season because we’re so weak in certain positions. I think I’d consider it if he somehow got us playing really nice, aggressive, attacking football and got the best out of Pogba, Lukaku etc. (underperformers).

No chance he’d win anything big so sorta top 4 and a decent CL run on top of the above would mean I wouldn’t be against him staying on, but I’d still like to see us get Poch. He’s the best for the job.

Denis79

Not trying to be pedantic or a smart ar$e as I may have not understood your post properly but how can he win Champions League and Europa League in the same season mate?
Think he means that even if Ole makes us Barcelona 08/09 Mark2 he wouldn't want him as permanent manager.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Don't think there is anything he could do that would get me to think he should stay.

However, if he does well in style of play and some decent results in the cups, then you'd expect him to get a job at a bigger club than Molde with the potential of returning in the future with more experience at our sort of level under his belt.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Honest answer? Almost nothing short of perfection results and gameplay wise. He just hasn't shown enough to warrant the interim job. He got it because he is a club legend as a player and not on managerial merits. If he is to be a permanent manager then he has to boost his merits to be above that of potential options out there.

Romantic choices can be afforded in a better developed club on and off the field. Ours isn't in a position to pick based on who we like without looking at merits.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
FA Cup win.

Champion's League semi.

Strong PL performances finishing 5th or higher and soundly beating at least 2 of the Top 4 in our remaining matches against them.

All with very, very good football.

The very real danger with this club is that he does 'quite well' and our bizarrely sentimental fanbase begin entertaining him as a permanent option - as is actually already beginning to happen with some people...

Our players are performing WAY beneath their actual level, so we should expect a very significant 'new manager bounce', and on top of that if Ole is even as good as say, Eddie Howe, we should expect a clear philosophy to emerge quite quickly.

As @Pogue Mahone has made the good point about Emery vs Wenger a number of times - a new manager can implement their own philosophy upon a team and it's visible very early on, without changing the board or the entire playing staff.

Ole will have at least 24 games as Man Utd manager (21 PL, and at least 2 CL and 1 FA Cup), so it's more than half a season's worth of opportunity for both him and the club.

Given the quality players at his disposal I'd expect to see immediate and dramatic improvement in performances and results if he's to be considered for the actual manager's job.

The other danger is that whenever a future manager wobbles, the shouts of 'give it to Ole for rest of the season' will begin loudly - but with strong and sensible leadership hopefully being instilled at the club, this kind of thing won't lead to the type of insanity we witnessed with Moyes' appointment etc.

Last edited:

sam147

If he makes top 4 with the current squad while playing good football and keeping the team happy he deserves to stay on. I would hire Mitchell. Wait another year for Poch if that's the man we want. Build a team with solid foundations will make us more suited to any of Zidane, Poch or Allegri. It all depends on how well he does. Win lose or draw he will always be a legend and deserves our full support. He is coming in with nothing to lose.

Kazi

The fact is, no Fergie ‘protégée’ is going to become an elite manager, because all of their ideas are second hand, and all will lack the man-management skills of Fergie. We need a young outsider.

Red Devil's Advocate

He just needs to maximize the potential of this squad and he will have my vote.
Getting a win against Klopp would be fine as well :D

Steerpike

There's no doubt that the job ahead will be a challenge for him. I just hope he acquits himself very well between now and the end of the season, and is therefore able to present himself as a sensible option. It's by no means a given that any of the primary candidates for the 'permanent' role will actually be available, and if OGS proves himself capable then who knows.

For anyone who followed United during the Fergie era, Ole is a legend in so many ways. For me, he epitomised the player who understood his role, often that of the supersub, and worked uncomplainingly to do it to the best of his ability. A legend yes, but also someone who showed great humility and an absolute commitment to the team and the club. I'm sure he could have left United at any time and been guaranteed a regular first team place at almost any other Premier League club, but his passion for our club made any such move unthinkable.

I hope our current players reflect on his example, and give him the respect and commitment he deserves.

Eddy_JukeZ

Honest answer? Almost nothing short of perfection results and gameplay wise. He just hasn't shown enough to warrant the interim job. He got it because he is a club legend as a player and not on managerial merits. If he is to be a permanent manager then he has to boost his merits to be above that of potential options out there.

Romantic choices can be afforded in a better developed club on and off the field. Ours isn't in a position to pick based on who we like without looking at merits.
I feel the same way.

Rozski

A lot of the responses here seem silly.

Surely if he demonstrates the qualities that we are looking for in our next manager then he deserves consideration. Not that he should automatically be chosen if he meets those requirements but I would think that if he brings confidence back to the dressing room, demonstrates the ability to coach the team in both offensive and defensive phases of play, and the players want him to stay, then surely he should be in the conversation for the permanent job.

cfkane

Unbeaten in the league and a cup double. But if he does a very good job, he certainly should be in the frame as a potential future manager depending on the trajectory of his career.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

We've repeatedly looked at managerial merits and it's got us absolutely nowhere. We really need to let go of this "on paper" view of things.

Moyes was the steady-man. Kept a shoestring budget Everton side in constant European contention for the best part of a decade, obvious commitment and loyalty, very experienced Premier League manager. Utter failure, completely out of his depth.

van Gaal was the veteran, hardline general. A full trophy cabinet and more recent success as manager of the Dutch national team, where he'd led them to impressive victories over Spain and Brazil, with a squad deemed inferior, having made some shrewd tactical decisions along the way. tumescent, directionless footballing philosophy, with no idea which players he could rely on, or how he wanted the team to play.

Mourinho was the key to success. Immediate impacts everywhere he went, bringing league titles with him, as he motivated players to run through walls for him. Pissed everyone off, had us playing terrible football, and wasn't even getting the results to justify it.

What we need is someone who understands the club and what the fans want to see, which Solskjaer undoubtedly does. The only question mark is whether he can implement it, but in all honesty, it doesn't really matter. If he gets even a tenth of that across, the foundations are there for the person we want to carry the club forward to work with.

Who do we actually expect to get in on what we have pretty much publicly announced is a temporary gig, if not someone a bit left-field?

reddevil80

I just really hope it doesn't end up like Shearer's attempt at Newcastle. A crowd hero, managing the club he adores but not creating that magic that we all want and hope for. I, for one, will have patience for him and I just wish him all the very best for this season. Good luck sunshine.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
A lot of the responses here seem silly.

Surely if he demonstrates the qualities that we are looking for in our next manager then he deserves consideration. Not that he should automatically be chosen if he meets those requirements but I would think that if he brings confidence back to the dressing room, demonstrates the ability to coach the team in both offensive and defensive phases of play, and the players want him to stay, then surely he should be in the conversation for the permanent job.
The thing is, many managers could do that.

1. It's a broken dressing room, it should be pretty easy for him to lift it.

2. "the ability to coach the team in both offensive and defensive phases of play"... what does that actually mean? I mean, to what level? Any PL manager can coach that.

If you mean simply, 'some nice football', that isn't enough. It isn't enough without the results mate.

The next Man Utd manager's job is to wrestle power from fecking Guardiola and Klopp - that's the reality. It isn't to get a few decent results a season, while being liked by everyone.

This club is a beast, a massive, seething Red beast of a club that is about competing at the top.

If Ole shows in 6 months that he can compete at the top, then he'll need to get to the latter stages of the CL, and he'll need to mount a push for top 4 - that's the only way he could be given this job.

To claim that the 'season's over' etc, is essentially to claim that there's nothing Ole could do to get this job full time...

The only way a manager of his level can stake his claim to a job of this level, is to come in and achieve greatness over 6 months.

The posts in here I've read are actually fairly sensible, in my opinion at least.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
We've repeatedly looked at managerial merits and it's got us absolutely nowhere. We really need to let go of this "on paper" view of things.

Moyes was the steady-man. Kept a shoestring budget Everton side in constant European contention for the best part of a decade, obvious commitment and loyalty, very experienced Premier League manager. Utter failure, completely out of his depth.

van Gaal was the veteran, hardline general. A full trophy cabinet and more recent success as manager of the Dutch national team, where he'd led them to impressive victories over Spain and Brazil, with a squad deemed inferior, having made some shrewd tactical decisions along the way. tumescent, directionless footballing philosophy, with no idea which players he could rely on, or how he wanted the team to play.

Mourinho was the key to success. Immediate impacts everywhere he went, bringing league titles with him, as he motivated players to run through walls for him. Pissed everyone off, had us playing terrible football, and wasn't even getting the results to justify it.

What we need is someone who understands the club and what the fans want to see, which Solskjaer undoubtedly does. The only question mark is whether he can implement it, but in all honesty, it doesn't really matter. If he gets even a tenth of that across, the foundations are there for the person we want to carry the club forward to work with.

Who do we actually expect to get in on what we have pretty much publicly announced is a temporary gig, if not someone a bit left-field?
Im not advocating for only looking at the papers. Besides, LvGs and Mourinho's papers weren't exactly perfect in recent times.

I was against a temporary gig in the first place unless we intend to go all out on pochettino in the summer and have gotten some hints at him being interested then.

In the end I hope Solskjær does well, but it doesn't change the fact that even if he does somewhat well it isn't better than alternatives like Jardim, Zidane or Pochettino. Hell, Favre and Howe makes more sense than Solskjær for a long-term contract ubless he does amazingly well.

Besides, Solskjær has done worse in his second stay in Molde than his first. In my eyes he has regressed.

Rozski

If Ole shows in 6 months that he can compete at the top, then he'll need to get to the latter stages of the CL, and he'll need to mount a push for top 4 - that's the only way he could be given this job.
These would almost certainly be the results if he showed the characteristics that I mentioned. I’m saying that the idea that he would have to win the CL and challenge for the title this year and even then not be in the conversation is a bit stupid. What if we had announced yesterday that we got Poch instead of Ole? What would we expect to see from the team the rest of the season with him in charge? If Ole can deliver that then I think he should be in consideration for the permanent job.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If Ole gets United into the top four I think he deserves consideration, especially if we end the season strongly.

I am not seeing the magic bullet that will make us title winners. Lots of Pochettino talk but, to me, he's more of a guarantee of Champions League than a title. If Ole shows he can also get us top four why change things?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
These would almost certainly be the results if he showed the characteristics that I mentioned. I’m saying that the idea that he would have to win the CL and challenge for the title this year and even then not be in the conversation is a bit stupid. What if we had announced yesterday that we got Poch instead of Ole? What would we expect to see from the team the rest of the season with him in charge? If Ole can deliver that then I think he should be in consideration for the permanent job.
Not really. Pochettino would be hired based on his work at Southampton and Tottenham. He'd be given more than half a season and his job would be put over a longer time span than half a season as we'd look to him for fixing the clubs on-field and potentially transfer business over a longer period. Ole doesn't have the merits Pochettino has and as such has to prove more in that half a season.

arthurka

Top four would be a hard task for any Manager with this broken squad. So for me he should get it if he achives that. Getting Pogba and Martial on board and having some use for Sánchez would help.

But Poch is going to be our target and I think Ole knows that.

AlwaysRed66

Winning the Champions League.
Di Matteo got a not great Chelsea side to win the Champions League. Because of this he was made permanent manager, but it wasn't long to see he was out of his depth. Winning a cup competition isn't outstanding, Avram Grant was a missed John Terry from winning it a few years before that. I can see the same happening to Solskjaer if we are not careful. He is under no real pressure for this interim period, which he certainly well be when made permanent.

Rozski

Pochettino would be hired based on his work at Southampton and Tottenham.
Your points are all fair and to be clear I’d be very excited to have Poch next year, I think he’s exactly the sort of manager we should be looking at. It would just seem like a mistake to not consider a manager if they are already delivering what we are looking for. A bird in hand is worth two in a bush sort of thing.

Also I’m not going to pretend I’m not biased, I absolutely love Ole and seeing him on the sideline would make me happy and there has been precious little about this club that has brought joy in the last 5 years.

Mick321

Nothing. We stick to our plan and get the candidate we deem the best for good or bad. This season won’t tell us much about Ole anyway, different taking over a team that can’t go lower to a new season, new signings to bed in, new pressure etc. He goes with our thanks in May whatever we do.

slir32

Can you please explain further as I am a bit confused please as Arsenal have won 10 from 17 at rate of roughly 59%. Maybe there is something i'm not getting somewhere mate sorry?
He lost his first few games while implementing his philosophy then went undefeated for around 20 or so games. The club will not hire Ole with a 50-60% win rate that is not good enough to win the PL. It has to be much higher than that.