What would convince you that Ole should be made permanent manager?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Your points are all fair and to be clear I’d be very excited to have Poch next year, I think he’s exactly the sort of manager we should be looking at. It would just seem like a mistake to not consider a manager if they are already delivering what we are looking for. A bird in hand is worth two in a bush sort of thing.

Also I’m not going to pretend I’m not biased, I absolutely love Ole and seeing him on the sideline would make me happy and there has been precious little about this club that has brought joy in the last 5 years.
I'm a Norwegian who probably (can't remember) started following United due to Solskjær, and I adore him as the legend of a player he was and the person he seems to be in general. I'm not 100% against hiring him, but due to merits I just don't rate him highly as a manager so for me to think it would be a good idea, his interim period would have to be quite amazing. I don't like putting targets on what I'd call amazing as it's probably down to multiple factors. I'm open to the idea, I just see it as very unlikely to be a good one.

ChaddyP

Thing is .... Getting poch means spurs lose him. Its such a win win situation for us that I don't know what ole could realistically do to get the permanent Job

the chameleon

85% win rate

Progress in cup competitions

Beating top 6 teams in style

Promoting youth players with success

Getting 50+ goals out of the front 3 from the remainder of the season

Handling Pogba and martial well

Fluid and cohesive attacking football

And a smile

These would get me thinking he could stay long term

Anything less (even a cup win would be a risk)

Either way, we would need a director of football on top

goofygoofygoofy

Basically, nothing. Di Matteo won the Champions League for Chelsea and he still wasn't good enough. He showed that the following season and was sacked. We shouldn't repeat their mistake.

Minimalist

I rate Poch and Zidane highly but a lot of the negative chat and over the top checkboxes from posters in this thread are nonsense.

We aren’t getting top four without a major feck up from teams above us. That’s not a reflection on Ole at all if he fails to get us into that spot.

The CL is likely over once we play PSG even if he has us playing better football for it.

The only thing we can realistically look for is a decent FA Cup run, improved performances overall and (for me) a much better goals (scored) per game ratio. Add in a much better feel about the club, including more positive pressers etc, you’d be a fool to not at least consider him alongside the other names. Especially if the players are receptive to him.

There’s no guarantee of success with any of these managers we’ve been linked with. After Van Gaal and Mourinho we should have learned that a managers CV isn’t all that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Basically, nothing. Di Matteo won the Champions League for Chelsea and he still wasn't good enough. He showed that the following season and was sacked. We shouldn't repeat their mistake.
He won in a very dodgy way. It was obvious. We need to get out of this results based mindset. Mourinho also won us a big cup.

If, and this is a big if, Solkjaer has us playing footy that is destroying top teams then there's no reason to think of a permanent stay

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
At least the semi finals of the CL
At least a top 4 finish in the league
Gets at least 7 out of 12 points from our remaining fixtures against City, Pool, Chelsea and Arsenal.

And all these through attacking Football obviously.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we improve the style of play, get closer to the top four, go on a run in the cups and Solskjaer has a viable plan including transfer signings then we should offer him the job.
There aren't many top managers around, let alone available ones. I think it's pointless to completely write Solsjkaer off before a ball has been kicked under his tutelage.

reddevil702

Regardless of what he accomplishes it will be very difficult to trust him with the role of permanent manager. There is no pressure on him during the next 6 months. It’s essentially a free ride and he gets to live out his dream, while helping United during a tough time. That won’t be the case if he’s given the role permanently and that’s a test in itself.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm ready to put aside the results till the end of the season, I wanna see more attacking intent, more cohesion in play, less fannying around, less reacting after a goal down. I wanna see the team proactive

FromTheBench

Playing good football and top 4 would be something plus a good cup run maybe.

But you'll get the drift if hes good enough anyway with the progression and plan you see.

Even Klopp and Guardiola didn't get great results immediately after arriving but you could see them implementing their styles.

King.of.Red

We win UCL or at least UCL final or we win all league games till the end of the season. :D of course with exciting football, give us a joy to watch Man United again

Patrick08

I'm ready to put aside the results till the end of the season, I wanna see more attacking intent, more cohesion in play, less fannying around, less reacting after a goal down. I wanna see the team proactive
Although, I am not ready to put results aside. Its December.

Its like performing mathematical calculation and saying just focus on the steps and not on right result.

The Mad Manc

Currently, I'm very much in the camp that we should still be making moves to appoint someone else long term, but that is obviously dependent on who's interested. I'm not convinced by Zidane, who is often mentioned, which leaves us with Jardim, who is still something of an unknown quantity, or trying to prise Poch away from Spurs.

If the quality of football dramatically improves, and results improve alongside them, and Ole can convince the powers that be that he can work with a DoF going forward, then there's a decision to be made.

I'm not sure putting tangibles on it like league finish and cup wins is what we're after. We could play shit on a stick football but start winning more, and scrape top 4 because Chelsea and Arsenal inexplicably implode in the second half of the season. I'm more concerned with the club returning to the values that made us all fall in love with it, and build from there.
This

Cal?

CR7 fan
I would have thought it was obvious?

Pochettino is perfect for Utd so for us to decide to keep Ole instead of going for the perfect option we'd have to do something extraordinary this season like winning the Champions League.
I really don't see how someone who has never ever won anything can be "perfect" for United.

Kapardin

I really don't see how someone who has never ever won anything can be "perfect" for United.
Just as someone who won everything in football (Mourinho) wasn't perfect for us, quite possible the converse scenario can exist.

Of course, I too have doubts about Poch, but our first priority is to hire a DoF, a manager who plays progressive football and sign some players who can elevate our team while clearing the dead wood. Once this is done, we can even change managers in our quest for trophies without going through an upheaval each time.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just as someone who won everything in football (Mourinho) wasn't perfect for us, quite possible the converse scenario can exist.

Of course, I too have doubts about Poch, but our first priority is to hire a DoF, a manager who plays progressive football and sign some players who can elevate our team while clearing the dead wood. Once this is done, we can even change managers in our quest for trophies without going through an upheaval each time.
The likes of Real and Chelsea regularly change manager and expect them to win trophies, I don't get why a lot of our fans seem to expect a dragged out rebuilding that has gone on and on for years.

Kapardin

The likes of Real and Chelsea regularly change manager and expect them to win trophies, I don't get why a lot of our fans seem to expect a dragged out rebuilding that has gone on and on for years.
Real and Chelsea have transfer structures in place. Plus, Chelsea hired Sarri and Real took a punt on Zidane, neither of whom had a track record of trophies.

We are doing something similar here. We are getting in a DoF and a manager who is yet to prove himself but seems to have the potential to do so.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Real and Chelsea have transfer structures in place. Plus, Chelsea hired Sarri and Real took a punt on Zidane, neither of whom had a track record of trophies.

We are doing something similar here. We are getting in a DoF and a manager who is yet to prove himself but seems to have the potential to do so.
Poch does have his merits, but I just don't see why so many see him as the perfect choice when the much more qualified Zidane is scoffed at. :confused:

Joseunited

If he turns the club around,gets De Gea et al stating they're happy and sign new contract and gets us competing and beating the "top" clubs,I don't see why we don't extend his contract.
Personally I think it's just as important to get the DoF side of things sorted out too in order for whoever is in charge to get us firing again.

Kapardin

Poch does have his merits, but I just don't see why so many see him as the perfect choice when the much more qualified Zidane is scoffed at. :confused:
He can build teams from scratch while Zidane hasn't actually shown he can do stuff with average squads like ours. That's the only advantage he has.

Cal?

CR7 fan
He can build teams from scratch while Zidane hasn't actually shown he can do stuff with average squads like ours. That's the only advantage he has.
Zidane has shown he can win things and deal with the superstars better than anyone. I hope Woodward sees sense and not gifts Levy 40m.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think he should be judged based on results, not what place we finish in. In order for us to finish in the top four that means that the teams ahead of us have to lose at least 4 games and that's assuming we win the rest of our games. That's not going to happen. I'm not saying that we can't finish in the top four, but it's highly unlikely regardless of who the manager is. What I want to see is a definite improvement in our play. It won't happen over night, but as long as we are moving in the right direction then I would love to see OGS names as our full time manager. But I know, everyone here wants to see a big name take the reigns. Everyone forgets that Pep wouldn't be Pep if Barca didn't give him a chance...

Eric's Seagull

I'd also like to see less fannying around. Also I'd like ton see us not get a goal down but we cant always have everything we want.

Handré1990

Like me, most here seem to need something truly special to want Ole on a permanent basis. Time we showed some long term planning. This is the first step, trying to introduce a feel good vibe from a manager who’s a legend of the club, having won it all here as a player. Build the players up and send them happy on their way with the next permanent solution.

Eric's Seagull

I thought it was pretty clear? Giving humans confidence can make all the difference. Play to win and score goals would be a start.
My bad sometimes I don't understand posts properly. My take on it was you wanted to build player up to let let them move on to the next club in their career and I thought what is the point in doing that. Sorry mate

Handré1990

My bad sometimes I don't understand posts properly. My take on it was you wanted to build player up to let let them move on to the next club in their career and I thought what is the point in doing that. Sorry mate
No worries mate. Some of our players need to find that self belief again. Pogba and the skillsters need confidence bad. Hoping Ole can instill some of that, regardless of his long term position.

ErranMorad

I'll be open to him as our permanent manager if he shows that he is capable of implementing a definitive style of play & have opposition teams adjust to us than us to them. There is no way we won't win a majority of our games with the talent available if Ole is able to implement a style of football that is pleasing on the eye. I read an article yesterday (think it was posted here) which mentioned how his philosophy mirrors Pep's. If he can show enough of that in next 6 months, while getting results, then I won't mind having him as one of the contenders for the job.

Eric's Seagull

No worries mate. Some of our players need to find that self belief again. Pogba and the skillsters need confidence bad. Hoping Ole can instill some of that, regardless of his long term position.
I get fully now mate thanks for explaining properly and please excuse my lack of understanding. I fully agree some of them needing a bit of self belief and are low after all the snidey comments from the 'Toxic one'.

I sincerely hope that and believe that Ole is the one to do do this so they can start fulfilling their vast potential

crossy1686

career ending
Good football and top four. That would be a minor miracle in itself.
Agree with this. We don't need a new manager if we get our identity back and we're winning games, it's only something the next manager would try and replicate anyway but I guess some people just want the name of Pochettino at this point.

Handré1990

I get fully now mate thanks for explaining properly and please excuse my lack of understanding. I fully agree some of them needing a bit of self belief and are low after all the snidey comments from the 'Toxic one'.

I sincerely hope that and believe that Ole is the one to do do this so they can start fulfilling their vast potential
Yeah, I agree. Your last sentence there is something to savour, because some of the players do have vast potential. Would be great if everybody would pull together at least.