What would convince you that Ole should be made permanent manager?

bonothom

I think it would be remarkable if he got United into the top 4 from here. Taking last seasons 75 points for 4th, that's another 49 points from a possible 63. So 15 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats. If he was to achieve that I would probably say, yeah he deserves a full time go at it.

meamth

Show us your idea, noticeable way of play that could get us excited for next season. Something visible, something vibrant or maybe a project that could possibly be implemented.

That will be enough for me.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Show us your idea, noticeable way of play that could get us excited for next season. Something visible, something vibrant or maybe a project that could possibly be implemented.

That will be enough for me.
This 100%. I don't understand why anyone would say Poch unless Ole gets top 4 or a CL. As much as Poch is the guy, it STILL could go belly up with him. Unlikely, but still possible. I just want to see us playing decent footie like the rest of the top 6. The success will take care of itself, whoever is in charge.

If Ole can bring that back to OT, they'd be stupid to ignore it. I, for one, would be all for it.

spwd

Just get the players playing somewhere like their best and the same with the team, I just want to see this lot play like they want to-be here and give 100%.

Morpheus 7

A clear effective playstyle, getting the most out of this squad. Show ability to keep clean sheets as well as punishing teams. I would like proper rotation and favouritism cut out. Finding an 11 that works relatively fast. Top 4, far in the Fa Cup and CL final knocking out a few heavyweights convincingly. Integrating a few like Tahith and Mason in to the first team squad and giving actual opportunities. Uniting the dressing room and not afraid to cut senior players who aren't at it. It's near impossible to get all this in a few months. I have no doubt he'll do better than what we had though. To be permanent manager you have to demonstrate a winning progressive mentality. He's in a tough position, if this goes well it could relaunch his career. Maybe realistic to be our first team manager in a few years time. Too many questions unfortunately, I have a feeling we'll enjoy United again at the very least.

OldPop

This. All managers start somewhere, our two former managers had very impressive CV's and it turned out pretty shite in the end. Hell, even if Fergie himself came back from retirement there is no guarantee he would secure a top 4, the same goes for Pochettino and Zidane. No one is denying Pochettino has done very well at Tottenham, but we are not Tottenham and he has not won anything yet. I mean getting outfoxed by Leicester in 2016 when basically all his major competitors were in the gutter is not very impressive.

Back to back CL wins from Zidane is impressive, but that Real squad was pretty insane and even then they did pretty awful work in the league. Many people called Emery a gamble when Arsenal hired him, and they have done quite well.

To be fair, i dont think Ole is ready and out the season is probably the best for everyone, but making a list of ridiculous, impossible demands like "Win the CL, bring world peace and make Katie Hopkins shut up" is a bit unfair. If he does well, his name should be in the hat like everyone else's
That was really, really mean, wish I'd written it myself ... :lol:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Good attacking football with many chances created during the game
Fluid attacking football with movements, not gargoyles standing there
Overlapping full backs
No problem if he doesn't make top 4, but a good cup run
Not playing Phil Jones

sugar_kane

In a way I think it’s better for all concerned if it’s absolutely set in stone that he’s going back to Molde at the end of the season.

We cannot plan for the Summer with any question marks in place. Too often we’re seemingly making huge club decisions up as we go along and it’s led to the state we’re in today.

The board need to use this time to plan meticulously and get everything lined up for their first choice manager and DOF to start in June and that process needs to begin now ie. identify the candidates and start talks.

Ole should treat this as an audition for one day in the future - he’s still a comparatively young guy and let’s face it whoever we get in will last 5 years max given the current ways of the game.

So, going on that basis, if he can prove that he can play exciting attacking football and still get results (while also giving some youngsters time in the team) then he’s a prospect for the future.

There’s nothing he can realistically do in six months to prove beyond doubt he’s capable of being our full time manager (even Di Matteo won the UCL) but there’s plenty he can do to prove the opposite eg. the team looking tactically in disarray, an inability to manage the dressing room egos, or struggling against teams we should be hammering.

Kostov

If he gets top 4, playing attacking, solid football and doing so while promoting our young players, that would be enough for me. Come on Ole!

OldPop

As I see it, it would be necessary to show a number of qualities and skills that a coach must have. That Ole does not yet have experience as a coach at this level we already know.

Improving the mood of the team and making the players perform better, on top of their ability, is obvious. I think he has the ability to do that.

He must also show that he has a good eye on how young players can be developed individually and enhanced by a targeted training. It's hard to accomplish in such a short time.

He must show that he is able to get the maximum of all his players in the squad. Simply take the right player to the right opponent and choose the right tactics in each match.

It requires up-to-date detailed knowledge of the league, the opponents teams and the competitor's coaches, which he can hardly already have, but he may learn quickly?

So, no, it's not reasonable to believe that it will be done at a time that is probably shorter than six months because the pursuit of a regular coach has to start now.

Wilt

If he managed top four from where we currently are and played some decent attacking football on the way, then yes.

If he managed to win the CL (miracle I know) then absolutely yes!

Good luck Ole.

Red00012

Win the FA cup final beating Liverpool thanks to a Sanchez hat trick

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
PSG narrowly knockout United in the CL, United do well in the league but not good enough to make top 4 due to the big points different that already exists and he wins the FA Cup. All of this while playing the best football United have played since SAF was manager and making underperforming players look better.

Does he stay or do United look for a new manager?

I think that's a pretty likely scenario and it should be a very tough decision to make.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I can see plenty of 'top four' or 'top two/three' and a good run in UCL, suggestions including winning even. Easy route. Decide you don't want him, then put some virtually impossible benchmark for him. Safe. Pity there isn't any manager in world's football who would've accomplished those with this set of players, competition from the top teams and in that mental state but hey.

Trophy Room

The lad was effectively a substitute his whole United playing career. It seems that his managerial career is destined to be similar but I would love it if he proved everyone wrong and became the main man.

Red Devil's Advocate

Good attacking football with many chances created during the game
Fluid attacking football with movements, not gargoyles standing there
Overlapping full backs
No problem if he doesn't make top 4, but a good cup run
Absolutely.
We as a fan are often so much entitled that it hurts my jaws. In the current scheme of things, no one is guaranteed a top-4 spot. A lot was said about Mourinho when he was brought in, citing his stellar trophy cabinet as the USP, however see where it has left us. A couple of years in top-6 is just fine as long as we fix the core of our team in terms of philosophy (damn I said that) and personnel. Once these aspects have been taken care of, any good team will be a contender.

OGS hasn't been at helm at Real Madrid or Barcelona but neither had been Pep, Klopp, Poch for that matter. If we keep sniffing around for established managers there are just a handful of them, each with their own distinct quirkiness. It's time that we explore new avenues and take some risk.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just reading this thread is placing a very unrealistic expectation on Solkjaer.
Personally, I think for Solkjaer, finishing in 6th place will be a good achievement.
If he finishes 5th, he'll have done extremely well, by his own standards.
If he finishes 4th, that'll be title winning form - give him the permanent job.

Red Devil's Advocate

The lad was effectively a substitute his whole United playing career. It seems that his managerial career is destined to be similar but I would love it if he proved everyone wrong and became the main man.
That only means he has far more experience observing things from the touchline and identifying the window. Works in his favor

Bogga

- Get's our best players to perform on a regular basis
- Plays entertaining and attacking football
- Manages to get something out of this season, top 4 would be a good achievement
- Allows our promising youngsters to play and gets them to perform

Ulterion

Well and truly crushing Liverpool at Old Trafford would near enough do it for me! :D

joedirt87

Can he get the team playing quality football again, can he get the best out of the talent. A top 4 finish is much more important to me than winning Champions League.

el3mel

Can he get the team playing quality football again, can he get the best out of the talent. A top 4 finish is much more important to me than winning Champions League.
Winning CL actually looks much easier than finishing top 4 at the point. :D

RedNed77

Solid performances, not necessarily an unbeaten streak. Much less humility, but no arrogance and a coherant style of play that generates a significantly plus goal difference and little complaints from the team. A set style of play and him showing he can adapt tactics and get a result when were not top dogs, anything over a 50% points take from games against the top 6 and I'd give it to him on that basis.

MrSingh2002

If he fecks off Sanchez or makes him play hard on the right wing.

Giving Bailly and Rojo a run as centre backs as Jones and Smalling aren't going to improve and Lindelof has proved he needs more time yet to be relied on.

Need to see Dalot and Shaw used and in great physical shape.

Get the best out of Pogba. The Pogba that made me feel he was a bargain at 90m after seeing him at OT on his debut.

Making Martial a regular on the left wing.

If he does all of those things in 6 months give him the job.

edgar allan

- Get's our best players to perform on a regular basis
- Plays entertaining and attacking football
- Manages to get something out of this season, top 4 would be a good achievement
- Allows our promising youngsters to play and gets them to perform
Looking at the league table getting anywhere close to 4th would be miraculous.
Agree with the rest

Giggsyking

If he improve the team, he has my blessing. Making it only about results is unfair, he is 11 points behind 4th place and he is facing fecking PSG in 6 weeks

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Absolutely silly talk. Ole should go regardless what he achieve this season. The club should stick with the interim contract while the search for permanent manager goes on. I don't want us making the same mistake Chelsea did when they gave Di Matteo a full time role then sack before few months later.
He wasn't all that great in the league though and their CL win was a massive fluke. If we were to (hypothetically) drop only a handful of points from now till May while winning the CL and FA Cup then he'd obviously have a much better shout than RDM who led Chelsea to 6th.

Longjohnson Shagwell

Personally, I think there is always a bit of a honeymoon period with a new manager. Now I like ole as much as the next fan, but definitely need to evaluate him after the "mourinho gone" hangover has worn off, and after our easy set of next 5 fixtures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Livvie

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
...and Solskjaer made me ejaculate!!