What would convince you that Ole should be made permanent manager?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A long string of performances like this would give the powers that be a very awkward decision indeed.

ObieDeMoon

Maybe if it could take time to get Poch away from Spurs & Levy. We could appoint OGS for a longer period.

BUT, we would need to keep playing like we are and for the rest of the season. Win all or most of our remaining matches.

Poch may not want to upset Spurs and show some class by not back dooring it at this time but give them some notice ( maybe a season or two) to get a suitable replacement.

IF he does indeed want to come to UNITED at all.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Nothing would convince me. It is clear that the board do not see him as a permanent choice, and nor should they.
Wow, so if he got a top 4 finish playing the rest of the season like today and in the meantime sorted the defensive issues and squad moral, then he wouldn't deserve the job full time?

How bizarre and utterly ridiculous.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
A top 4 finish accompanied by attractive football will help him put forward a compelling case.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
This thread is fun read. I'll put it down to Mourinho convincing the masses that we had a shit squad, and the only thing people knew about Ole's managerial credentials was that he got relegated with Cardiff.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'm convinced, yet worried about the future still, can he maintain this form into next season? Will we get a DoF? Will the new signings adapt? I have faith though.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I'm convinced, yet worried about the future still, can he maintain this form into next season? Will we get a DoF? Will the new signings adapt? I have faith though.
Of course we won’t maintain this kind of form into next season without serious reinforcements in the transfer market. We have won 10 out of 12 league games with him, this is easily title winning form for a team that doesn’t have the quality yet to properly challenge for title.

If he can get us to 80 points next year he will be a big success. Let’s be consistently good first. Then we can build on that.

tieunhilang

This thread is fun read. I'll put it down to Mourinho convincing the masses that we had a shit squad, and the only thing people knew about Ole's managerial credentials was that he got relegated with Cardiff.
This bump was a fun read too :D Now imagine we knock both PSG and Arsenal down this week... Doubters will no longer have any doubt! :devil:

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I enjoy watching United play now. For the past few years it has been poor, boring, disjointed, sad, and to see players not enjoy their football is a damning indication on the three previous managers. What we have now is a CLUB, not just the first team, that appears happy in their demeanor, enjoy their work and look forward to each match. It's as if everyone has a goal, and they are all striving for their own personal and joint goals. This is football I'm enjoying, long may it continue.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He’s convinced me.

Thing is, we can’t not give him a go now. And even if it doesn’t work, at least we’ve given a decent man who loves the club a go....isn’t that better than bringing in an outsider who might ultimately fail anyway (like the previous 3 candidates, who were all ‘better on paper’)

wolvored

I think any manager who can pick a team up who where going nowhere and get them playing and winning without any new recruits like Ole has, deserves a shot full time. Offer a 2 season contract to see how he can do when he has had 3 transfer windows and 2 pre seasons and take it from there. I would also sign up Phelan as well.

wolvored

He’s convinced me.

Thing is, we can’t not give him a go now. And even if it doesn’t work, at least we’ve given a decent man who loves the club a go....isn’t that better than bringing in an outsider who might ultimately fail anyway (like the previous 3 candidates, who were all ‘better on paper’)
Agreed

AndyJ1985

He had me convinced a while ago. It feels good having a a United legend as manager, instead of dullards who talk us down and embarrass us by saying stupid things and playing negative football. He's the perfect fit for us right now. He may or may not bring us trophies, no one knows, but we have to give him the chance to try.

nokoya

This http://solskjaertabellen.com ;)

Ole with current staff already managed the best out of every player except Sanchez. Why not give it to our legend instead of famous manager but came here with their own broken/not suitable philosophy.

Being manager is more about Man Management rather than just tactic in the field.

Beagle

The only qualm about having Ole or any manager is whether they choose to persist with the current crop of defenders. With the extension of Young it does seem Ole rates him. Hopefully he sees him as a backup to a new solid right back. Same with CB and RW. These 3 positions desperately need upgrading.

crossy1686

career ending
The only qualm about having Ole or any manager is whether they choose to persist with the current crop of defenders. With the extension of Young it does seem Ole rates him. Hopefully he sees him as a backup to a new solid right back. Same with CB and RW. These 3 positions desperately need upgrading.
Hardly Ole's fault is it? If the players we want aren't available we make do until the players we want are available. You could argue that bringing Pochettino in would mean less spend in the summer as he's already shown he can do well without signing anyone.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Does anyone still have doubts?

Surely it's a done deal at this stage
I would think it's been a done deal for a few weeks now. Molde's season starts at the end of March, and although they have an interim manager in place (the first team coach), I think United would have informed the club that we were keeping Ole. I would think that sometime this month there will be a joint statement from both clubs to inform the media and fans of the outcome.

Untied

Hardly Ole's fault is it? If the players we want aren't available we make do until the players we want are available. You could argue that bringing Pochettino in would mean less spend in the summer as he's already shown he can do well without signing anyone.
Plus we’d have had to spend a ton of money actually signing Poch.

Patrick08

I am still of the view of not rushing into any decision until the end of the season. The structure needs to be placed behind the scenes first as well and then we can plan on more long term objectives at the club including the managerial role.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I'm certain that Ole (I would think he has the job now), would want to keep the playing side as stable as possible between this and next season, so players like Young, Mata, Smalling, Jones, will get (or have) contracts of varying lengths. We have slipped up in the past by NOT extending players contracts, and letting them wind down, so they can negotiate their own terms with any club that wants them. Young, I would think, will be a back up for both full back positions, or may even start the season at RB, but would be phased out during the season, we have TFM, Mitchell and Laird whom Ole has not seen yet, so almost certainly at least one of those players will be in the first team squad. Jones, I feel, will become the utility defender in the squad, at least short term, Smalling and Rojo be the ones that gets sold. Smalling seems to use his hands/arms a lot when defending crosses into the box, with VAR he will get penalised a lot more. Rojo can be good at times, but does make stupid challenges, and is a bit of a liability in my eyes, and with Tuanzebe coming back, and the possibility of a world class CB coming in, His game time would be limited. I think by the end of next season, the defence will look a bit different to what it does now. The RW situation will almost certainly be rectified during the summer, Sancho, Pepe, Felix any one of them could come in, although most people seem to favour Sancho.

Guy Incognito

Until his appointment is confirmed I suspect the papers will still run with Pochettino or Zidane to United, trying to milk it for all its worth.

R'hllor

Personally i have little doubt which comes from context behind his current success, thats about it. To be honest, i am more bothered with our long term vision and path, question of DoF etc.

minoo-utd

People forget quickly how we looked before Ole. We are now 3 pts off third ffs, look at Southampton game with all the injuries we had if Jose was still in charge how he would go out and never stop moaning about it! and look at Ole how he managed to keep supporting players who were absolutely not good enough for the bench and managed to win. We did grab few wins like the real old Man.United, players needed someone to tell them who the feck they play for as a club. He made them realize quickly that when you put that shirt on you have to give everything and we saw that time and time again. He gave us confidence going to games expecting the win only, after years of shit performances and low confidence. Give the man the credit he deserves and absolutely the job, the board must back him right and keep the same assistants with him.

Why are so many doubts and based on what? we finally found someone who knows exactly what it takes to be the manager of Manchester United and now it is on the board to make the right decision and back the guy completely.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I am still of the view of not rushing into any decision until the end of the season. The structure needs to be placed behind the scenes first as well and then we can plan on more long term objectives at the club including the managerial role.
With the structure, do you mean a DOF, or something similar? I agree with someone being in place, so Ed is NOT involved in the signing of players (he seems to be in favour of high profile players coming in like Bale, who he can see may well sell shirts etc), although Ed would probably have to sign the cheques. But not 100% sure on what that role involves. There seems to be a managerial team of Ole, Phelan, Carrick, McKenna, and the other guy that Ole brought in, and Butt. To me they would be able to work together to identify the players from the academy who have every chance of making it, and also the positions where we would need to bring in from outside the club. I think not so much a DOF as a contract negotiator may be needed, but still someone who is between Ed and the football side.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I do think we need to wait until the summer to actually confirm him, and be patient here. People might not like it because it creates uncertainty around a man who clearly deserves the job, but rushing into things has cost us dearly in the past. He also definitely needs a DOF to work with and a structural reform, which I hope happens.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Although Poch is still my choice,Ole has already convinced me. He has a clear idea how he wants to play and what he wants to do with the squad.

SoCross

I haven't missed a single match since Ole's appointment. During the LVG & Mourinho era, I'd be ok with missing matches - I was feeling disconnected to the club - but Ole has reignited my love for United. This has nothing to do with us winning (before the glory hunter accusations are thrown about) but it just feels like we've got our club back. A feeling which hasn't been there since Fergie retired. That for me is the single most important thing Ole has done.

He says the right things, does the right things, the players are responding. United through and through.