What would convince you that Ole should be made permanent manager?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I rate Poch and Zidane highly but a lot of the negative chat and over the top checkboxes from posters in this thread are nonsense.

We aren’t getting top four without a major feck up from teams above us. That’s not a reflection on Ole at all if he fails to get us into that spot.

The CL is likely over once we play PSG even if he has us playing better football for it.

The only thing we can realistically look for is a decent FA Cup run, improved performances overall and (for me) a much better goals (scored) per game ratio. Add in a much better feel about the club, including more positive pressers etc, you’d be a fool to not at least consider him alongside the other names. Especially if the players are receptive to him.

There’s no guarantee of success with any of these managers we’ve been linked with. After Van Gaal and Mourinho we should have learned that a managers CV isn’t all that.
This. All managers start somewhere, our two former managers had very impressive CV's and it turned out pretty shite in the end. Hell, even if Fergie himself came back from retirement there is no guarantee he would secure a top 4, the same goes for Pochettino and Zidane. No one is denying Pochettino has done very well at Tottenham, but we are not Tottenham and he has not won anything yet. I mean getting outfoxed by Leicester in 2016 when basically all his major competitors were in the gutter is not very impressive.

Back to back CL wins from Zidane is impressive, but that Real squad was pretty insane and even then they did pretty awful work in the league. Many people called Emery a gamble when Arsenal hired him, and they have done quite well.

To be fair, i dont think Ole is ready and out the season is probably the best for everyone, but making a list of ridiculous, impossible demands like "Win the CL, bring world peace and make Katie Hopkins shut up" is a bit unfair. If he does well, his name should be in the hat like everyone else's

Handsome Devil

Will be interesting to see how he gets on with the board and little Ed. Papers reporting he will "have a say" in January transfer activity. Raises a few questions. What sort of a say? Who has the main say? And who are likely targets? I guess this will be discussed elsewhere though.

Ashley R1+O

He can just have it in my mind, I'd be fine with it. I genuinely don't know what manager themselves would even want to try and manage at a club in the state that it is in, the type of manager 'that fits' I couldn't even begin to understand who that is. The football side is an absolute mess. It needs a complete kick over and re-start from playing group, the wage problem and the wider footballing operations in general.

There is a job on of epic proportions and I don't see the commercial side dropping everything to solve it. So we should just wait and see, but I'd have Ole, love him.

Eric's Seagull

Will be interesting to see how he gets on with the board and little Ed. Papers reporting he will "have a say" in January transfer activity. Raises a few questions. What sort of a say? Who has the main say? And who are likely targets? I guess this will be discussed elsewhere though.
Hate it when the papers say things like "have a say" in transfer activity. Which just seems like saying in a different way that Woody is controlling all the transfers but we are making it look like we are e giving the new guy some power. Get the the DoF in as soon as possible and feck Woody off back to his office to make us some more sponsorship money.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Our chances of Poch wil also have an impact. If he decided not to move or Levy was proving too difficult we may just turn to alternatives and consider Solks

Eric's Seagull

He can just have it in my mind, I'd be fine with it. I genuinely don't know what manager themselves would even want to try and manage at a club in the state that it is in, the type of manager 'that fits' I couldn't even begin to understand who that is. The football side is an absolute mess. It needs a complete kick over and re-start from playing group, the wage problem and the wider footballing operations in general.

There is a job on of epic proportions and I don't see the commercial side dropping everything to solve it. So we should just wait and see, but I'd have Ole, love him.
Good post. you made some valid points. At the moment we are fecked and need someone to go through the club with a nit comb and identify every area that needs sorting and not be afraid to spend whatever it needs to fix all our problems.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This. All managers start somewhere, our two former managers had very impressive CV's and it turned out pretty shite in the end. Hell, even if Fergie himself came back from retirement there is no guarantee he would secure a top 4, the same goes for Pochettino and Zidane. No one is denying Pochettino has done very well at Tottenham, but we are not Tottenham and he has not won anything yet. I mean getting outfoxed by Leicester in 2016 when basically all his major competitors were in the gutter is not very impressive.

Back to back CL wins from Zidane is impressive, but that Real squad was pretty insane and even then they did pretty awful work in the league. Many people called Emery a gamble when Arsenal hired him, and they have done quite well.

To be fair, i dont think Ole is ready and out the season is probably the best for everyone, but making a list of ridiculous, impossible demands like "Win the CL, bring world peace and make Katie Hopkins shut up" is a bit unfair. If he does well, his name should be in the hat like everyone else's
That's a myth based on only last season. The season before they won the league and the half season before that they actually got more points than Barca after he took over, the league was lost by Benitez.

Doracle

I think I’d want us to be right up there with the top teams in points won from now to the end of the season (or at least for the last 15 games or so), whilst playing attractive football. If he can have us playing title challenging form for half a season, that would be enough for me even if, due to the existing deficit, we don’t make top 4.

Winning the FA Cup or having a good run in the CL would be great but would only slightly lower my league requirements above.

peridigm

Let’s say Ole comes in and gets the team confidence back. We start getting results and end up finishing 6th or 7th. Our football now until the end of the season is good to watch with an attacking style. Our GD is positive. We don’t get embarrassed by PSG but are knocked out. We progress to at least the semis of the FA Cup.

Does he derserve a chance at the job? Should he get the job permanently? Would fans accept a couple more years of 4th place finishes in the league if an obvious progression was happening? Incoming players, style of football, etc.

For me I’d say yes. We know how much he loves United. He’s young and has the potential to build another dynasty. The question is, can fans wait through a few more years before real results take hold, ie trophies?

singhters

Even if he does a Di Matteo and wins champions league and fa cup, it would be a risk for a full season as perm manager.

But No matter who it is, it's going to take 3 years to fix this mess.

Maybe we need 2-3 seasons of obscurity mid table away from the public eye so the expectation drops, because as soon as your the boss all eyes are on you and your expected to win things.

I'm not so sure even if Poch will last at Utd. Ferguson has left a big hole and it could be too big for anyone to fill and to not fold under the pressure when things get tough.

Maybe that's what is required for the men behind the scenes and the owners to wake up and make huge changes.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Just wondering if there are any scenarios that would convince us fans that Ole should be given a long term contract in the summer?

If he makes top four?
Top three?
Wins the CL?
FA Cup?

Or should it be thank you but goodbye, no matter what happens?
Any of those would be a worthy achievement at this point

Only issue is that the club may get an agreement with a new manager even before any of those things are confirmed

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Any of those would be a worthy achievement at this point

Only issue is that the club may get an agreement with a new manager even before any of those things are confirmed
Which could end up with us in a very strange situation. Getting rid of a manager who's doing a brilliant job.

A lot of parallels with what's going on with the Irish national team.

JK-27

He'll need to win 90% of the remaining games, and reach the CL final and FA Cup final at least to be in contention. Even then I'm doubtful, he has no pedigree. Di Matteo won the CL as an interim coach, got the job permanently and then was sacked within months.

rotherham_red

He'll need to do a few things:

a) He needs to get us playing a proper, on the front foot attacking style - not necessarily revolutionary like Pep or Klopp, buy something to get us off our seats
b) The big name players have to be on-board with him and respect his methods - we can't have a repeat of the tail-end of the last three permanent managers
c) Most importantly: he has to get us in the Top 4 and perform well in the big games against the rest of the Top 6. I'd take a CL in lieu of it, but I don't think it's as realistic as Top 4 (even if that in of itself is unlikely)

If he achieves all three of those, I'd be more than happy to give him a go, but only if the likes of Poch, Jardim et al aren't coming.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d be happy to see us give Solskjaer the job full time tbh. So let’s see this as a 6 month trial and see how he does. If he gets us top 4 he deserves a permanent contract, if he does it while playing good football and scoring goals then he deserves a bloody statue.

The minimum should just be good football and the sort of form in the second half of the season that would have gotten us top 3. Not expecting much from the CL but a cup run would be a bonus.

Eire Red United

Playing a decent brand of football with decent results for the rest of the season, then serving under Poch or whoever comes in for a few years. No way we should give him the job permanently in May.

BaneIsPain

Top 4 or a cup would be ok in my book. I am a bit pessimist. Hope I’m wrong on Ole

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He'll need to win 90% of the remaining games, and reach the CL final and FA Cup final at least to be in contention. Even then I'm doubtful, he has no pedigree. Di Matteo won the CL as an interim coach, got the job permanently and then was sacked within months.
Agreed.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Attractive football, use some youth (showing intent of truly developing them, instead of just lipstick on a pig, like Mourinho did), and winning lot's of games. Not much :wenger:

StoicRed

Treble

Ole has to improve the work rate of the team. No tactics could work without that.

Better work rate is a necessary but not a sufficient condition. The team has to be coached well and evolve in a promising direction in a manner similar to Emery's Arsenal.

BrianLy

If Ole gets consistent results, creates some luck in the CL, and plays attacking football I think that should put him in a good spot for consideration. This is built upon the assumption that we bring in the right supporting cast, including a long term director of football. I think this a very romantic view and would love for it to work out.

Realistically, I think we might have collateral damage from the previous three managers and rigidity at the top which could prevent Ole from being in the consideration at the end of the season. It is in everyone's best interests for the club to not rush into a decision, and for them to not rule out Ole before he gets a good chance. That has to be a carrot that they dangle for him, even if it's a serious stretch goal.

The second best outcome for Ole and fans is not a terrible one. If he is pretty successful and doesn't land the permanent job then he will be set up well to return at a future point. In fairness to Ole, I think it would be reasonable if he decided he didn't want the permanent job at this time, especially if he knows that upstairs is still a problem. It's much better if he plays the long-term game so that both he and us have the tantalising proposition of him becoming a successful future manager in the next twenty years.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Nothing! He has nothing to lose for the next few months so he can do what he feels is right.

However he isn’t for us long term

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How does pedigree guarantee anything chum?

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Real progress all the way to the end of the PL season, mostly spectacular football, a top four spot, minimum the FA cup semifinals and a marginal defeat to PSG. I think very few teams in Europe has a decent chance against PSG anyway, we haven't been one of those in a while.

The first two would naturally lead to the rest.

If he achieves all of that based on our season so far and we don't get Poch I'd say we stick with him.

Skills

Snitch

5.27 Sherwood talking about his experience as a caretaker manager.

Nikelesh Reddy

Why would Ole have to win the European Cup to get the job, when Poch hasn't ever come close?
Because Ole was managing in the Norwegian league at the age of 45....Pochettino has been managing Tottenham successfully at the age of 46...Slight difference between managing Molde and managing Spurs...

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Watching Ole's awesome debut interview, I got the impression that he's less bothered about pushing for him to become permanent manager than some posters on are already pushing for it.

He seemed, really down to Earth and realistic and I got the impression that as a smart guy, he might even be aware that a good 6 months here and then moving on might better for him than trying to push himself into the debate with the current big-boy managers ready to handle Utd full-time at this point.

beergod

If Ole can get this group of bums into the top four and playing good football he deserves the full time gig, no question. Even if it took him until mid-January to get the Jose stink off of the squad and then we took off on a great run of form but came up short due to not being able to make up ground, I'd probably back him to continue.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Ya know, I'd love Ole to be a success here and get the job.
I don't think he's ready full time though, but it's great for us fans to see a legend, someone so loved by United fans, walking the team out.

You never know, he may be a success. It would be great for his career if he gets it right, and then you never know, in the future, he could be back.
Absolutely, he could be a sensation in this 6 months, but I don't think he'll be leading the side out come next season

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Somehow he manages to get to Top4 places with attacking football, or even 5th spot but just 1-2 points away from 4th. Wins ALL matches at OT.

Decent matches vs PSG. Automatic job as permanent manager if he knocks PSG out!!!

Decent run at the Fa Cup (semis mandatory).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Because Ole was managing in the Norwegian league at the age of 45....Pochettino has been managing Tottenham successfully at the age of 46...Slight difference between managing Molde and managing Spurs...
Yeah, one has won something recently.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
You can't compare what Poch has been doing for years with 5 months of work. Chelsea made that mistake with Di Matteo.

Saying that I hope Ole can stay on at United in some capacity if he does well.
Those two words /thread

Walters_19_MuFc

Get us playing attractive football
Beating any of the top 6 by playing attacking football
Winning a cup (FA or CL)

Be tough because these are not his players, but we've got some good players. Unfortunately, they're not playing to their right ability levels. If Ole can do that, then we should do well for the remainder of the season.

tjb

Pretty simple for me. If he can implement good football, win games, create a steady environment and win the big games (showing tactical nous against other top clubs) then i would hire him permanently.

As long as we have a director of football strong enough to support him in the market and in dealing with difficult personalities (helping to move them), then with ability to achieve the above, he should be fine.

In reality we as a club want a manager that understands the club and its traditions, respects them, wins games and has a vision of staying long term with us.

Winning the majority of games via attractive football; lift morale around the place; bring the belief back.

I wouldn't set any targets about top four, as that is going to be very difficult now. I'm thinking more of setting a new style of play and displaying a vision for next season.