What're the chances we'll score 5 goals in one game from open play this season?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'd like to know when the last time we scored 5 goals from open play in one game from any season. I don't even think that has anything to do with Van Gaal or Moyes. I'll start researching.

(We scored 4 goals from open play vs Brugge - close enough so far)

Continuing my search....

11/12 Season we beat Fulham 5-0 away from home. All open play I believe.

Last edited:

crimsonife

We don't have enough shots, let alone goals. Look at Arsenal who create chance after chance. I can only imagine us scoring us 5 goals if the opposition is terrible and we happen to have a good match. Otherwise we're too focused on passing the ball around and keeping possession.

ghagua

I'd like to know when the last time we scored 5 goals from open play in one game from any season. I don't even think that has anything to do with Van Gaal or Moyes. I'll start researching.

Continuing my search....

Fergie's last game in charge against West Brom. Game ended 5-5 i believe

ghagua

My main issue isn't really with our finishing, Like Van Gaal keeps saying. We don't create enough clear cut chances. After every match that we haven't managed to win, he says something along the lines of "We need to finish our chances" or "the luck with our finishing wasn't there, but we created enough" but i find myself disagreeing.

When we find ourselves with clear openings, we usually put them away. The problem is the amount we create. Unless you're Ruud Van Nistelrooy, you're always going to miss the odd chance, so 1 or 2 per game isn't enough. To routinely have games where you don't register a shot on target until 50, 60, 70 minutes is usually going to see you struggling for goals.
Exactly what i have been thinking. He mentions the missed chances, but how many are we creating?

UnitedinRed

Ms LvG
This is of course, kf the utmost importance.

Right before the season kicked off, Ed said to van Gaal, 'forget about/the trophies and all that riff raff, what I want is 5 goals in one game"

"Now go get them tiger"

Angelinho

Scoring 5 seems a bit of a stretch. A shot on target in the first half would be a step in the right direction. Per Squawka we average less than 8 chances per game, with only West Brom, Sunderland and Stoke averaging fewer.

marlowe78

Continuing my search....

I seem to remember 5 against Bolton a few years back. I think the point here is that performances like this have come against bad opponents.

stevoc

And why not? We will predictably play everything in front of them.
I'm not saying they shouldn't, it seems an effective tactic against us of late.

But if one side is parking the bus as happens us a lot these days it's not exactly conducive to a high scoring game is it.

Teams playing so defensive against us is part of the reason we are not scoring as much.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm not saying they shouldn't, it seems an effective tactic against us of late.

But if one side is parking the bus as happens us a lot these days it's not exactly conducive to a high scoring game is it.

Teams playing so defensive against us is part of the reason we are not scoring as much.
Conversely, it would also explain the relatively low number of goals conceded that everyone seems pleased about.

Be interesting to see how we fare - in attack and defence - against a team who has a go at us. The Palace game will tell us a lot about where we are right now.

stevoc

Conversely, it would also explain the relatively low number of goals conceded that everyone seems pleased about.

Be interesting to see how we fare - in attack and defence - against a team who has a go at us. The Palace game will tell us a lot about where we are right now.
Of that i have no doubt mate you're right, i like Blind but teams sitting really deep against us in a lot of games has helped him playing at the back i think.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Didn't we score 5 away to Leverkusen under Moyes? Can't remember if they were all from open play or not.

Oo0AahCantona

Early goals are usually required for big scorelines. Get early goals to force the opposition to attack to try and get back into the game, then exploit that for more goals.

We currently dont look to score at all in the first half, we play safe possession first half, try to tire the opposition out abit and take a chance if its handed to us on a plate. Then second half we press more hoping the tired opposition will make mistakes and if not they'll be less effective on the counter.
Yeah, we dont start games strongly enough to get our opponents on the back foot.

saivet

When do we play Norwich? These guys shipped 5 to fecking Newcastle. Their open style of play should allow us plenty of chances.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The issue there was losing 6-1, that's a 10 goal swing. You do that and let it go to GD and you're fecked.
Once it happened, the issue was not scoring enough in other game in order to make that horrible defeat less relevant. Destroying teams helps and it's not just GD, it gives a psychological advantage. Teams are already bricking it when facing you and that is a big plus.

Eriku

Tbh i would prefer five 1-0 wins in the upcoming five fixtures with a relatively increased percentage in the clear cut chances created pg statistics. It would be a much better sign that we're heading towards the right direction than winning a single game by five goals. It would not be pleasing to the eye for many United fans but it would be a proof that that team is slowly starting to have an identity on the pitch and that we've found a formula to win our matches.

Yes we beat Arsenal 8-2 in 2012, so what? We were a team in form and Arsenal were missing a lot of players due to injuries. As far as i recall, our tactics in that season - the let's try to imitate Barca's high lines and pressing but with not having the right personnel attitude - lead us to conceding six from City, caused an early CL exit and led to a rather unsuccessful season.

Of course we can score 5 goals in a game. We could have scored 5 or 6 against Tottenham and City last season. We're at the stage where, if the opposition offers us spaces, we can outscore them. When the spaces aren't there and we have to create them for ourselves, that's when the problems emerge. And until then we'll have to depend on good defensive displays to win matches, whether we like it or not.
Get out, you're being far too nuanced.

Dion

Once it happened, the issue was not scoring enough in other game in order to make that horrible defeat less relevant. Destroying teams helps and it's not just GD, it gives a psychological advantage. Teams are already bricking it when facing you and that is a big plus.
We were 5 points clear before the Everton game. We lost the title in a game where we did absolutely batter a team, not some made up horse shit about us not going for the kill often enough. We lost it because we switched off at the finish line in the title race with a team who we gifted +6 GD and 6 points at our own expense. If we'd used our brain and shut up shop when we were 4-2 up instead of going for more goals we'd have won the title by about 10 points.

Lennon

5 goals in one game? ... No! I would be happy if we create 5 clear chances in one game!!

kouroux

We were 5 points clear before the Everton game. We lost the title in a game where we did absolutely batter a team, not some made up horse shit about us not going for the kill often enough. We lost it because we switched off at the finish line in the title race with a team who we gifted +6 GD and 6 points at our own expense. If we'd used our brain and shut up shop when we were 4-2 up instead of going for more goals we'd have won the title by about 10 points.
Whatever you say may be right (and it is) but at the same time it cannot be denied that scoring more goals would have won us the title (among many other possible things). It is after all, very basic maths. Scoring more goals has never hurt any teams, the best teams in the world rarely hesitate to trash their opponents.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
What are the chances we'll have 5 threads left that aren't permeated with a million variations on the same argument by the end of this season?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

It's a bad circle

Dion

Whatever you say may be right (and it is) but at the same time it cannot be denied that scoring more goals would have won us the title (among many other possible things). It is after all, very basic maths. Scoring more goals has never hurt any teams, the best teams in the world rarely hesitate to trash their opponents.
It was our attempt to score more goals that buggered us. Just because something is technically true doesn't mean it isn't nonsense. We'd have won the title if we'd successfully gotten the government to order an extrajudicial killing on one of the City players every week in April but that doesn't make it the actual reason we lost or make much sense. We scored 89 goals, 6 more than we did in 2006-2007, our most entertaining season in a long time and it was the most we'd scored since the 99-2000 season.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
This is of course, kf the utmost importance.

Right before the season kicked off, Ed said to van Gaal, 'forget about/the trophies and all that riff raff, what I want is 5 goals in one game"

"Now go get them tiger"
Extremely poor effort at being funny. I feel bad for you now :)

MZX7

My main issue isn't really with our finishing, Like Van Gaal keeps saying. We don't create enough clear cut chances. After every match that we haven't managed to win, he says something along the lines of "We need to finish our chances" or "the luck with our finishing wasn't there, but we created enough" but i find myself disagreeing.

When we find ourselves with clear openings, we usually put them away. The problem is the amount we create. Unless you're Ruud Van Nistelrooy, you're always going to miss the odd chance, so 1 or 2 per game isn't enough. To routinely have games where you don't register a shot on target until 50, 60, 70 minutes is usually going to see you struggling for goals.
Even Rojo is talking about how we aren't converting our created chances by not being clinical :houllier:

MANCHESTER UNITED

By Tom Webber

The Argentina defender indicated his disappointment with the defeat to Middlesbrough and insisted that the goals will come sooner rather than later

Marcos Rojo is concerned by Manchester United's lack of goals after Louis van Gaal's men drew blanks in each of their previous two fixtures.

United followed up a 0-0 draw at home to local rivals Manchester City last Sunday with a penalty shoot-out elimination at the hands of Middlesbrough following a 120 goalless minutes in the last 16 of the League Cup, also at Old Trafford.

The Argentine believes the team's difficulty in finding the back of the net cost them on Wednesday and needs to be addressed quickly.

"The best chances [in the match with Middlesbrough] fell to us, but we couldn't manage to convert any of them," Rojo toldMUTV.

"So then it went to penalties, which are always a lottery, and unfortunately it wasn't to be for us this time.

"It hurt a lot and we were still smarting afterwards because it's an important competition and we wanted to go a lot further in it.

"So coming off the back of two games on the trot without being on the mark does hurt and frustrate you a bit, but we are doing a good job at the back and defending well.

"We just need to turn the chances that we're creating into goals."

Louis van Gaal's side travel to Selhurst Park to face Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Saturday and Rojo is expecting a difficult game in London.

He believes the visitors will need to be wary of Yannick Bolasie, Bakary Sako and former United winger Wilfried Zaha.

"They will be strong and will try and take the game to us, but we need to go there ready to battle hard for the entire 90 minutes if we want to grab all three points," he said.

"I've seen a few of their games and they are very skilful and above all very quick, so we are going to have to be on our guard and mark them tightly to deny them the space they need to play well."

Sparky Rhiwabon

5 goals in a game? :houllier: I'd be happy with 5 in a month the way we are playing :p
We've had 40 attempts on target this season, at an average of 4 a game.

City have had 75

In terms of players, Rooney leads the way for us with 8 attempts on target, then Martial with 5

Best overall is Vardy with 18

These are PL only stats

NoPace

Scoring 5 seems a bit of a stretch. A shot on target in the first half would be a step in the right direction. Per Squawka we average less than 8 chances per game, with only West Brom, Sunderland and Stoke averaging fewer.
Christ.

Sunderland were a Champo level team under Advocaat, West Brom have Pulis and the slowest midfield in the Prem most weeks and Stoke, well, Stoke should be doing better. Maybe once Bojan and Shaqiri get a big of time to gel they'll rise a bit. Mediocre attacking play from their fullbacks and CMs might be the cause of that.

NoPace

What are the chances we'll have 5 threads left that aren't permeated with a million variations on the same argument by the end of this season?
I've just started a new one! It's more specific, but I think it fits the above criteria.

MZX7

What a day...Rooney involved in all 5 goals scoring himself twice! :drool::drool:

Let's do this tomorrow lads!

kouroux

It was our attempt to score more goals that buggered us. Just because something is technically true doesn't mean it isn't nonsense. We'd have won the title if we'd successfully gotten the government to order an extrajudicial killing on one of the City players every week in April but that doesn't make it the actual reason we lost or make much sense. We scored 89 goals, 6 more than we did in 2006-2007, our most entertaining season in a long time and it was the most we'd scored since the 99-2000 season.
Obviously I wasn't only talking about the City game, there were so many matches after that and scoring more goals in all those matches would have helped. That game was an anomaly. The title was lost on GD and two things contribute to a good GD( scoring goals and conceding less), I'm just saying that scoring a few more goals in the easiest matches wouldn't have hurt the team.

Mr Smith

Honestly, these kind of threads make me want to tear my hair out. Fans are so ungrateful at times.

What does it matter whether we score 5 goals or 1, so long as we win? People have to remember there are more important things than banging in an obscene amount of goals against a rubbish, relegation-threatened team. Our attacking play is very poor at the moment, but our defence is as solid as it's been in over 5 years. Would like to see that get a mention in a thread here and there.