What're the chances we'll score 5 goals in one game from open play this season?

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Honestly, these kind of threads make me want to tear my hair out. Fans are so ungrateful at times.

What does it matter whether we score 5 goals or 1, so long as we win? People have to remember there are more important things than banging in an obscene amount of goals against a rubbish, relegation-threatened team. Our attacking play is very poor at the moment, but our defence is as solid as it's been in over 5 years. Would like to see that get a mention in a thread here and there.
People who reply just looking at the title of the thread without reading the OP makes everyone else tear their hair out. :rolleyes:

LR7

This is an attempt at a reverse jinx thread isn't it?!

On a serious note I think we take our foot off the gas completely and seem to sit back and invite the opposition onto us after we go ahead. It means we rarely dominate a game for the full 90mins. I'd love for us to go for the jugular but I don't know if this team has got that in them (desire rather than ability).

Dion

Obviously I wasn't only talking about the City game, there were so many matches after that and scoring more goals in all those matches would have helped. That game was an anomaly. The title was lost on GD and two things contribute to a good GD( scoring goals and conceding less), I'm just saying that scoring a few more goals in the easiest matches wouldn't have hurt the team.
Yes, in one game in particular.

We scored 89 goals that season, the argument is contrived gibberish. Our attacking threat wasn't the issue, it's that in 2 games (Everton and City) that season we stupidly went for more goals instead of taking what we had and shutting up shop. We won by 3+ goals 9 times and scored 5 5 times.

Minimalist

Could easily happen.

Anyone who thinks this is impossible under Van Gaal clearly hasn't been watching. Just because the chances on goal are low doesn't mean there hasn't been dangerous play.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Every chance if we play some absolute pony in the FA cup.
Failing that, Bournemouth at home last day of season

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes, in one game in particular.

We scored 89 goals that season, the argument is contrived gibberish. Our attacking threat wasn't the issue, it's that in 2 games (Everton and City) that season we stupidly went for more goals instead of taking what we had and shutting up shop. We won by 3+ goals 9 times and scored 5 5 times.
It is what it is, from a mathematical it isn't wrong. You can never score too many goals.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Less than 0% chance.

Even under Fergie we used to sit back after going 1/2-0 up and allow the opposition back into it. Frustrates the hell out of me that we don't batter teams when in the position to.

Minimalist

Less than 0% chance.

Even under Fergie we used to sit back after going 1/2-0 up and allow the opposition back into it. Frustrates the hell out of me that we don't batter teams when in the position to.
It's rare there's a need to "batter" anyone.

In fact is there not an unwritten rule in Italy that teams should stop trying to score once they've got 3/4 goals ahead? Out of respect for their opponent.

I certainly don't look fondly on the 8-2 dishing we gave Arsenal in 2011 in comparison to the more competitive games over the years. It just reminds me how shite Arsenal were at the time.

pacifictheme

So football focus said we've only had more shots on goal than sunderland this season. No one else. Wow.

Hed Zitin

I'd be surprised today if anyone thinks we can score more than one goal today. The way it's going zero is worth a shout.

Sylar

It says open play. Will probably take a penalty or freekick lol

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Conceded 2 vs Stoke, Soton, Swansea
Conceded 3 vs WH, Norwich, Everton
Conceded 5 vs City, Spurs

Tomorrow is the day we go big right? RIGHT?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Conceded 2 vs Stoke, Soton, Swansea
Conceded 3 vs WH, Norwich, Everton
Conceded 5 vs City, Spurs

Tomorrow is the day we go big right? RIGHT?
Bournemouth are a side growing in confidence and brimming with energy and we're without our two best midfielders. It will be tight.

bpet15

At the current rate - I would take 5 goals between tomorrow and the end of the season...total.

Fully Fledged

Its early morning here, i havent got my coffee yet...so i misread the tittle.

I thought you were suggesting that we have scored 5 open game goals all season which to be frank is more plasuable then scoring 5 in one season ;)

PS i meant i one game :lol:
The rest of the season is more plausible.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Maybe after we buy an exceptional attacking talent in Jan 2016. Maybe.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The amount of LvG fanboys is frankly quite baffling ?? 18 months to clear out the 'deadwood'...the same deadwood that would probably destroy the current team we have, achieving our 'trophy' last season of top 4 (how's that working out?), shoring up the defence, yeah right and still in transition. Doing a great job by all accounts.

We couldn't even score 5 goals during a penalty shoot-out so what chance during open play. Never gonna happen !

spwd

5 goals in 5 games would be an improvement, but I really can't see it happening, the squad is decimated and we need to improve over our results when it wasn't as bad as now.